Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "no remains" of SM portion of this case really has me bugged. LE has him all over the place by cell phone records and security footage with him disposing of "something". I'm still thinking that anything disposed of at those sites was "instruments of crime" and other evidence (tranquilizer dart?), not the remains. There seems to be ample evidence of his vehicle being at the bike disposal scene and where the helmet was found as well. I'm going to stick with my theory the all or the major part of SM being in the back 400 behind PP. Without doubt he had the equipment and the knowledge to do a good job of it. It would still be possible to run a LiDar equipped drone over the entire area looking for body sized depressions and then checking them with Ground Penetrating Radar.

Edited to add: The cap in the dryer makes sense if you consider that he most likely put the cap in his pocket before using it and forgot to remove it before laundering his clothing with the dart itself being disposed of during one of his "trips" to dumpsters.

I too wish they would look more closely at possible burial sites near PP.

Re the cap, remember it turned out to be the cap to the syringe rather than to the dart itself. My question is, where and how did the capless syringe get disposed of (if they are disposable?)

They collected a single partial DNA profile from the glove box that connected to three different CODIS cases. I don't think it was three different people. One guy = three SA

Barry Morphew hearing: 3 unknown DNA matches found in vehicle | 9news.com

Earlier Tuesday, Barry Morphew's attorneys called Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Agent Joseph Cahill as a witness to question him about a DNA sample taken from the glove box of Suzanne Morphew's vehicle after she went missing.

The sample resulted in three unknown matches in the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS), a national DNA database used by law enforcement. The matches were connected to sexual assault cases in Arizona and Chicago, according to testimony.

According to the defense, Cahill was listed as the CBI contact in letters sent to law enforcement agencies in Tempe, Ariz., Phoenix and Chicago, notifying them of DNA matches between a swabbed sample taken from the glove box of Suzanne Morphew’s vehicle and unsolved sexual assault cases in those cities.

I believe it was said these were "partial" matches. There's a lot to explain when it comes to partial matches...most of it would put a jury to sleep. At any rate, one meaning of that term is "bits of touch DNA recovered in the same (described) space." Defense experts often try to offer an expert who will glue the bits together for a profile (LE does it too - but they know how unlikely it is to locate a suspect with this method).

I wonder if the defense will call FB as a witness at trial to testify UNDER OATH that on Mother’s Day while he was riding his bike he saw a vehicle parked near where Suzanne’s bike was found which looked out of place? We can’t sleuth FB here but I don’t believe he is telling the truth. MOO

Well, he doesn’t say WHAT TIME he saw the vehicle on Mother’s Day. It may have been.. say 4 am… (elk herd / bike helmet toss time.).

He has had other versions of the story out there, as well. And he could have various reasons for his rambling speculations. I will leave it at that. :rolleyes:

I’m personally struggling with the “tranquilizer” theory of LE. I understand there’s some discussed evidence of BM having darts, but no evidence we know of yet re: drug used to fill a dart. No toxicology available to prove tranquilizer theory. Why would BM choose to complicate the murder with more discoverable evidence? I just don’t get it. Why not just smother her without tranquilizer? He certainly could over power her! I don’t know, just having trouble thinking that’s what happened. This has been a difficult case to follow, imo! Little from LE for almost a year, grabbing every detail we could from LS, CM. MK. & TD. Lots of rabbit holes that really have led to nothing. Waiting for the AA! MOO

Well, you're right of course, but so far the Gone Girl theory makes more sense than any other, and the defense has to try and sell something. They can attempt a spaghetti defense, but at the end of the trial, they'll need to counter all the prosecutor's evidence with something more than spaghetti - and try to hope that one juror buys their "reasonable doubt" due to Gone Girl.

I can theorize that if JL is put on the stand and he says that Suzanne would never have left without keeping in touch with him and had absolutely no plans to do so, it might help demolition that.

The point about the charger is a good one, but a person can simply unlock their phone and buy a new SIM and be on their way - totally incognito to all those who once knew. It's a simple matter to change one's phone number. Of course that's not what she did - but I don't think even the FBI can say that Suzanne's device has never shown up again on the planet. The idea that Suzanne hitchhiked herself away from Barry and into a world without her daughters or JL...is bizarre. But there is a witness who said they saw an unusual car up that way, that day. This "witness" has gone on record, on video, but not MSM. However, it is not rumor to say that this person exists, can be seen in the crowd at the first presser, and talked about the case a lot in the early days - radio silence recently. I do believe he was interviewed by some reporter in CO (briefly, in the first 10 days after Suzanne went missing), maybe someone else will remember exactly where to find that.
I didn’t know FB was in the crowd at the first CCSO presser. That’s interesting…guess he was just worried about Suzanne having been abducted since he gave a statement to LE that witnessed that car and all. :rolleyes:

This is where I see the defense going. With so much surveillance, yet no sign of a body, I think they will use the "Dog Ate My Homework" defense, arguing that he's just really unlucky that his actions happen to fit those of the guilty party. They need to sell the idea that only The Joker or James Bond could have disposed of the body, and Barry is just goofy clod. Get the jury debating that concept, and all of the details will become background noise.

I am curious as to why you feel a jury would have difficulty believing he could dispose of her body, in a vast forested area, with loads of time unaccounted for?

I have been using this link in multiple threads today because it really speaks to the movement of actors.

A new study found there are so many security cameras now, the average American is caught on camera 238 times a week. That's 34 times each day. And if you travel a lot, or work certain jobs, it's over a THOUSAND times a week. You're on Camera How Many Times a Week? - Hot 96.7.

We can find a terrorist driving a vehicle in a foreign country and take him out with a drone piloted from here in the US, but we can't track BM's movements in the time frame SM went missing. I'm not buying that for a second. I think LE has more than we know about.
I think that is probably true for densely populated urban areas...not so much in rural areas.

I’m personally struggling with the “tranquilizer” theory of LE. I understand there’s some discussed evidence of BM having darts, but no evidence we know of yet re: drug used to fill a dart. No toxicology available to prove tranquilizer theory. Why would BM choose to complicate the murder with more discoverable evidence? I just don’t get it. Why not just smother her without tranquilizer? He certainly could over power her! I don’t know, just having trouble thinking that’s what happened. This has been a difficult case to follow, imo! Little from LE for almost a year, grabbing every detail we could from LS, CM. MK. & TD. Lots of rabbit holes that really have led to nothing. Waiting for the AA! MOO
Agree. I have to assume the prosecution will flesh this theory out if they can put some facts together. Right now we have a broken tranquilizer gun so they need to come up with a different method or 22 if they are going to stick to this particular theory.

Yes! I need to know about this “tranquilizer material” BM admitted to throwing away at one of his trash dumps.

Could his “theory” of a mountain cat abduction play into the tranquilizer? For example, BM sees SM out in the back yard sunning herself and then she gets attacked by a mountain cat. BM rushes in to tranquilize it but misses and BOOM kills SM with an overdose of tranquilizer (dose meant for a mountain cat).

Maybe his plan had to change once SM ran inside the house and barricaded herself in the master bedroom, no mountain cats there.

But he still liked that cat theory….so he used it with the (phantom) bike ride?

I too wish they would look more closely at possible burial sites near PP.

Re the cap, remember it turned out to be the cap to the syringe rather than to the dart itself. My question is, where and how did the capless syringe get disposed of (if they are disposable?)
Apparently Barry said that he may have disposed of tranquilizer materials during one of those trash dumps. “May have,” means “definitely did,” in my book.

^^bbm

I think the homicide cases that grab both the headlines and most of us here all follow the same pattern where the victims are deemed very low risk and the accused have no criminal records, no known drug/alcohol-related or mental health issues, and are not known to LE (no reported DV). For example, the Watts, Berreth, Morphew and Peterson victims. In categorizing the women as low risk, they would be considered low risk whether in or out of their current relationships.

I do not believe any of the above women were previously warned/threatened by their aggressors, endured long-term abuse at the level it could not be hidden from at least one person. I don't believe any of these women had any idea they were within days or hours from being murdered by their partners.

I believe the trigger is loss, threat, or perceived loss of control.

Control = sex, money, greed.

What I think is most significant in each of these cases is how both the victim, their family, friends, and the public, did not understand how the loss of control to each of their aggressors would be nothing short of lethal.

As for knowing when to warn a friend, I think it's paramount that any woman making a change in their life that's outside the control of their aggressor must understand that they are most at risk. A change outside of the aggressor's control includes pregnancy, abortion, infidelity, separation, divorce, etc. If you think the aggressor has any history of instability, they're probably the most vulnerable, dangerous, and quick to react to any loss, threat of loss, or perceived loss of control.

MOO

This is a brilliant post. Responding to the part in blue: you put it so well. I wish we could get inside the heads of the ones who snap and flip into lethal violence (especially of the convoluted kind we see in Suzanne's case). It's just too often that family and friends are surprised, and say the perp was a "nice guy" or that they are shocked that the perp could do such a thing.

Thank you too for putting in that triad of sex, money, greed. That last thing (wanting more and more of something - including control) needs to be there. Little by little, the controlling person takes more and more of the freedom of those around them (including freedom of thought and expression). I think of how Suzanne's sister was almost inexplicably afraid of sending her text to the "wrong person." (Barry?)

How scared Suzanne's family and friends must be, deep inside.

Your list of changes at the end is great (I wish I'd internalized this in my 20's).

I am curious as to why you feel a jury would have difficulty believing he could dispose of her body, in a vast forested area, with loads of time unaccounted for?

Because everything else he did was so ham-fisted. He couldn't make himself look any guiltier - it's like the entire thing was spur of the moment, except for the most important part. I think that chasm leaves plenty of room to suggest SODDI. What else do they have - Gone Girl or trying to explain away every movement and action. Both of those seem doomed to failure.

Because everything else he did was so ham-fisted. He couldn't make himself look any guiltier - it's like the entire thing was spur of the moment, except for the most important part. I think that chasm leaves plenty of room to suggest SODDI. What else do they have - Gone Girl or trying to explain away every movement and action. Both of those seem doomed to failure.
Fotis Dulos did the same thing, right down to the trash dumps. The murder was meticulously planned, he got the body disposal right, then he got busted dumping bloody items in multiple trash cans.

So the argument doesn’t work at all for me.

Killers have been known to get the first part right, then lose the plot with the rest of it.

*clarity

Last edited:

I appreciate your response.

To this statement “He couldn't make himself look any guiltier”, my reaction as a juror would be the opposite.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

I think BM already gets a big break: BM has the benefit that character evidence of the defendant is not admissible under the rules of evidence until the penalty phase of the trial so the jury really won't get to hear about the real BM until he's convicted. MOO
I agree with your thought in general, but I'd like to point out that Colorado Rule of Evidence 404 (a)(1) offers BM an opportunity to open the door by presenting evidence of his good character. This seem an act of desperation, but I have seen it work against considerable odds.

Here's the recently updated rule:

Colo. R. Evid. 404

As amended through Rule Change 2021(17), effective July 23, 2021

Rule 404 - Character Evidence; Other Crimes, Wrongs, or Acts

(a) Character evidence generally. Evidence of a person's character or a trait of his character is not admissible for the purpose of proving that he acted in conformity therewith on a particular occasion, except:

(1) Character of accused. In a criminal case, evidence of a pertinent trait of his character offered by an accused, or by the prosecution to rebut the same or if evidence of the alleged victim's character for aggressiveness or violence is offered by an accused and admitted under Rule 404(a)(2), evidence of the same trait of character of the accused offered by the prosecution;

(2) Character of alleged victim. In a criminal case, evidence of a pertinent trait of character of the alleged victim of the crime offered by an accused, or by the prosecution to rebut the same, or evidence of a character trait of peacefulness of the alleged victim offered by the prosecution in a homicide case to rebut evidence that the alleged victim was the first aggressor;

(3)Character of witness. Evidence of the character of a witness as provided in Rules 607, 608, and 13-90-101.

(b) Other crimes, wrongs, or acts.

(1) Prohibited Uses. Evidence of any other crime, wrong, or act is not admissible to prove a person's character in order to show that on a particular occasion the person acted in conformity with the character.

(2) Permitted Uses. This evidence may, be admissible for another purposes,such as proving motive, opportunity, intent, preparation, plan, knowledge, identity, absence of mistake, or lack of accident,

(3) Notice in a Criminal Case. In a criminal case, the prosecutor must:

(A) provide reasonable notice of any such evidence that the prosecutor intends to offer at trial, so that the defendant has a fair opportunity to meet it;

(B) articulate in the notice the permitted purpose for which the prosecutor intends to offer the evidence and the reasoning that supports the purpose; and

(C) do so in writing before trial - or in any form during trial if the court, for good cause, excuses lack of pretrial notice.

CRE 404

Source: (a) amended and adopted June 20, 2002, effective July 1, 2002; (a)(1), (a)(2), and (b) amended and effective September 27, 2007; amended and Adopted March 29, 2021, effective July 1, 2021.

Several posts have stated or can be read to imply that BM only needs one juror to vote in his favor to be found not guilty.

I want to remind everyone that in Colorado the verdict must be unanimous one way or the other, and if it is not the result is a mistrial not a finding of not guilty. If there is a mistrial on First Degree Murder, BM can still face trial on the original charge. People v. Richardson (2008)

I wonder if the defense will call FB as a witness at trial to testify UNDER OATH that on Mother’s Day while he was riding his bike he saw a vehicle parked near where Suzanne’s bike was found which looked out of place? We can’t sleuth FB here but I don’t believe he is telling the truth. MOO
I have to wonder if LE has FB's cell phone tracking from 5/10? I can't imagine he would go riding without carrying his cell device.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member