CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip>
I don't really buy the algae bloom theory or the heat stroke theory. I think there had to have been some sort of poisoning of some kind to get them all dead within feet of one another. Does anyone have any familiarity with the illegal drug trade in the area they were hiking? And ever heard of a booby trap line that could spit out a poison like that? I did some research on drug cartel booby traps, but most are meant to severely injure, like a board with nails sticking up, or even a bomb, all things the LE would have been able to pick up on immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Unknown hazards' found by trail where Calif. family found dead

Sept 1, 2021

[..]

Sierra National Forest officials Saturday issued a closure of the Merced River Recreation Site "due to unknown hazards found in and near the Savage Lundy Trail."

The trail is set to be closed until Sept. 26, or sooner "if conditions change" around the area.

[..]

Responding agencies treated the scene as a hazmat situation because of uncertainty about the cause of the fatalities.

[..]

Previous autopsy data provided by the Mariposa County Sheriff's Office has ruled out chemical hazards on the Savage Lundy Trail and acute trauma, such as stabbing, gunshot wounds or blunt-force trauma.

Therefore, this latest closure — which took place just days before all California national forests were shuttered because of the Caldor Fire — adds an additional complication to their mysterious deaths. There exists the possibility that a hazard was identified near, but not on, the trail that posed a risk to the family.

While speculation continues over the role of harmful algal blooms, officials posted signs as early as mid-July around the area warning about the risks of drinking water near the area.

Toxicology results are expected in the upcoming weeks, while investigators requested access to Chung and Gerrish's cellphones and social media accounts last week.

<modsnip>
I don't really buy the algae bloom theory or the heat stroke theory. I think there had to have been some sort of poisoning of some kind to get them all dead within feet of one another. Does anyone have any familiarity with the illegal drug trade in the area they were hiking? And ever heard of a booby trap line that could spit out a poison like that? I did some research on drug cartel booby traps, but most are meant to severely injure, like a board with nails sticking up, or even a bomb, all things the LE would have been able to pick up on immediately.
I don’t know of any chemical that would kill 2 adults after they tripped a booby trap line. Contrary to popular belief, touching Fentanyl won’t kill you. Inhaling in a sufficient dose, sure, but you would get so much dispersement in the air that it’s hard to believe it would be lethal.

At any rate, the FBI has John’s phone and you can see attempted calls even without cell service. If something killed them immediately, and they didn’t have time to attempt to call for help or text their parents “I love you, I just inhaled a chemical after tripping a booby trap”, their bodies would be very close to the hazard and cops would’ve found any trip lines.

If they didn’t die immediately and walked away from a man-made hazard, I have to assume John would be trying to call for help, texting, something that would leave a record even if unsuccessful.

Although I don’t buy the booby trap theory, I think John’s phone data (did he attempt to call for help, when, etc.) will be very important. It’s been over a week (on 8/24, phone sent to FBI), so they know something - they just aren’t releasing the info.

Family’s Death in Sierra National Forest Is Shrouded in Mystery

Sept 3, 2021
[..]

A spokeswoman for the Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office said in an email on Wednesday that there were no new updates in the investigation.

In an interview with The Fresno Bee, Sheriff Jeremy Briese said that he had never encountered such a mysterious case.

“It’s frustrating, and we’re not going to rest,” Sheriff Briese said. “Our biggest mission is safety, but also the family and bringing closure, and being able to support them through this tragic time.”
[..]

An incident description said that the agency had received a report of a “suspected illness” in the area. The warning previously made reference to a fatality, but was changed to say illness, The Bee reported.

“Do NOT let pets go in the water, drink the water, or eat scum on the shore,” the warning said. “Keep children away from algae. Do not eat shellfish from this waterbody.”

The Forest Service, which temporarily closed all national forests in California this week because of the wildfires spreading across the state, did not respond to a request for comment.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, the family was reported missing at 11 p.m. on Aug. 16. The next day, search teams found the couple’s vehicle near one of the gates to the Sierra National Forest. Their bodies were found a short time later near Devil Gulch.

“My thought initially was perhaps the car veered off the trail,” said Mr. Jeffe, who cut short a trip to Croatia when he learned that the bodies had been found. “People were going to go out and look.”

The problem with babies and heat (in simplified terms) is that aside from their general vulnerability and narrow margin of error with homeostasis, they have very little surface area and high body fat. Lanky, tall people are at lowest risk of heatstroke because their bodies can better dissipate heat - babies are the opposite. I can’t bear to think about what she must’ve gone through, especially in a carrier pressed against her father, like being pressed against a warming pad.
Okay, that is motivation for me to lose weight, lol.

'Unknown hazards' found by trail where Calif. family found dead

Sept 1, 2021

[..]

Sierra National Forest officials Saturday issued a closure of the Merced River Recreation Site "due to unknown hazards found in and near the Savage Lundy Trail."

The trail is set to be closed until Sept. 26, or sooner "if conditions change" around the area.

[..]

Responding agencies treated the scene as a hazmat situation because of uncertainty about the cause of the fatalities.

[..]

Previous autopsy data provided by the Mariposa County Sheriff's Office has ruled out chemical hazards on the Savage Lundy Trail and acute trauma, such as stabbing, gunshot wounds or blunt-force trauma.

Therefore, this latest closure — which took place just days before all California national forests were shuttered because of the Caldor Fire — adds an additional complication to their mysterious deaths. There exists the possibility that a hazard was identified near, but not on, the trail that posed a risk to the family.

While speculation continues over the role of harmful algal blooms, officials posted signs as early as mid-July around the area warning about the risks of drinking water near the area.

Toxicology results are expected in the upcoming weeks, while investigators requested access to Chung and Gerrish's cellphones and social media accounts last week.
Thank you! This is the article I quoted a page or two back!!

Signs of Heat Exhaustion
- Extreme Sweating
- Nausea or Lightheadedness
It’s common for hikers to feel a bit lightheaded or nauseous at high altitudes or during long journeys. However, for lightheadedness that alters the state of mind or intense nausea, it can be assumed that heat exhaustion is the culprit.
- Abnormal Heartbeat
If the heart speeds up, slows down and becomes faint, or is irregular with palpitations, heat exhaustion is likely being suffered.
- Cold Chills
Much like the feeling of cold sweats during the flu, cold chills come on strong with heat exhaustion.
- Unquenchable Thirst
Feeling extremely thirsty and not being able to curb the thirst by drinking water slowly is a sign that heat exhaustion has begun.
- Muscle Cramps
Cramping muscles are a serious sign of heat exhaustion. These cramps can make it difficult to continue a journey.

Signs of Heat Stroke
If any of the symptoms above continue after 30 minutes despite treatment, heat stroke may be occurring.
- Unconsciousness
Losing consciousness occurs as the body’s way to stop movement and allow the body to cool down to protect the brain and vital organs. This is a very dangerous sign of heat stroke.
- Red, Hot Skin
- Lack of Sweat
- Shallow Breathing
- Delirium
Heat Stroke & Exhaustion | Recognition & Prevention | Zion National Park

Hi everyone. Newbie here, and like you all, this case has fascinated me from the get-go.

Has anyone commented that their bodies were found in positions consistent with the “lightning crouch”? I’ve known since a youngster in my Sierra backpacking days that when lightning is nearby, you remove any high-profile metal gear like backpacks (or in this case, babycarrier), get a distance from others (Mom 30 yards away), and you crouch down with heels touching and ears covered. When I read that Dad was found sitting with the baby next to him still in the pack and the dog there too, it just felt obvious he had ripped off his pack, crouched down, and held the dog down so it wouldn’t be a canine lightning rod. Mom did the right thing by increasing distance. But everything reads that they were all taken simultaneously through a ground current strike.

There was recorded lighting activity in the area that day (Source: blitzortung.org) Between around 4:38 and 6:25pm, there were 4 recorded strikes roughly 25 miles east of the family’s location. I’ve attached screenshots, but you can go to the website and play around with the time and date inputs. That website admits it doesn’t receive data on all strikes - its data comes from volunteers who may or may not have their detection devices on at any given time.

But assuming that same weather system was to the west overhead the family 30 minutes to an hour earlier, then lightning becomes a distinct possibility. Contrary to what others have said, ground current strikes often don’t leave traumatic injuries like direct strikes do. No torn off clothing, exploded shoes, long burn marks, etc. By the time they were found after nearly 48 hours exposed in hot weather and sun, it might be very difficult to clearly distinguish subtle entry/exit marks or singed skin in an initial autopsy.

And for anyone not convinced of the terrible, deadly power of the ground current released by lightning, over 300 reindeer in Norway dropped dead from cardiac arrest instantaneously due to ground current from a single lightning strike. https://www.cnn.com/cnn/2016/08/29/europe/reindeer-killed-lightning-trnd/index.html

I have a very different narrative of that day that I hope is true, and that I believe is based on what LE and friends are saying about them. They were knowledgeable and well-prepared. They knew the area. They were loving and doting parents and pet owners. They probably knew it would be very hot. They probably knew there was a “Caution” about algae at the Hites Cove section of the river. By the way, a toxic algae “Caution” is the first advisory level above “None” (i.e. no concern) and is below the next two advisory levels, “Warning” and “Danger.” (Source: My Water Quality: California Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs)

Nobody thinks “Let’s go on an 8.5 mile hike in 100+ degree weather and subject our baby and dog to torment and possible death.” But they might think “Let’s spend this miserably hot day down at the river, soaking and splashing in the cool mountain water and resting under streamside shade.” So they start the hike early with food and water for the day, and they arrive down at the river between 9 and 10am when it’s in the 80s or 90s. They say know about the algae situation, so they follow the loop 2 or 3 miles upstream to be well away from it. Then, they spend the next several hours just enjoying the day, soaking themselves and the baby and the dog, maybe even napping in wet clothes in some shade. Around 4pm, they decide to hike up the switchbacks to their car. They are in a deep canyon and those switchbacks are on an east-south face, so the trail up might have very well been in the shade for some time, depending on when the sun passed over the peak. Maybe they all took one last good soak and started the switchbacks with wet clothes and wet fur. Maybe the evaporation and the lack of direct sunshine kept them all pretty comfortable. No one had to suffer. No paws had to burn.

But then, halfway up, perhaps the sky above the crest they were climbing darkened. Perhaps they heard a nearby thunder clap, or the rocks around them started to hum, or they tasted metal, or their hair started to stand up. Perhaps they got some warning that, being exposed on the face of a high peak with no cover, they needed to quickly prepare for a lightning strike.

I’m really hoping this is what happened, despite how tragic it is. It would have been quick. And it would preserve their integrity and reputation as informed, loving people who did everything right, but were simply caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Heatstroke just doesn’t seem to match the scene. They were together, on the trail. People with heatstroke get it at different times, and they get weird. They usually wander. They’re typically not found on trail. These folks had water, which is significant not because of dehydration, but because anyone witnessing a heat emergency in a loved one (which is very distressing from my own experience) would be dumping whatever water was available on the person, or on clothing to wrap around their neck, or on the animal to cool them down. Whoever still had their wits about them would NOT think “I’ll just watch my loved one suffer because this remaining water might come in handy uptrail,” MOO.

Attachments

• F4D2A07D-09D6-42AD-A683-08633E3753ED.png
    F4D2A07D-09D6-42AD-A683-08633E3753ED.png
    353 KB · Views: 24
  • EB96CE3E-3727-4CE8-96CE-6111B3E61B90.png
    EB96CE3E-3727-4CE8-96CE-6111B3E61B90.png
    315.2 KB · Views: 19
Hi everyone. Newbie here, and like you all, this case has fascinated me from the get-go.

Has anyone commented that their bodies were found in positions consistent with the “lightning crouch”? I’ve known since a youngster in my Sierra backpacking days that when lightning is nearby, you remove any high-profile metal gear like backpacks (or in this case, babycarrier), get a distance from others (Mom 30 yards away), and you crouch down with heels touching and ears covered. When I read that Dad was found sitting with the baby next to him still in the pack and the dog there too, it just felt obvious he had ripped off his pack, crouched down, and held the dog down so it wouldn’t be a canine lightning rod. Mom did the right thing by increasing distance. But everything reads that they were all taken simultaneously through a ground current strike.

There was recorded lighting activity in the area that day (Source: blitzortung.org) Between around 4:38 and 6:25pm, there were 4 recorded strikes roughly 25 miles east of the family’s location. I’ve attached screenshots, but you can go to the website and play around with the time and date inputs. That website admits it doesn’t receive data on all strikes - its data comes from volunteers who may or may not have their detection devices on at any given time.

But assuming that same weather system was to the west overhead the family 30 minutes to an hour earlier, then lightning becomes a distinct possibility. Contrary to what others have said, ground current strikes often don’t leave traumatic injuries like direct strikes do. No torn off clothing, exploded shoes, long burn marks, etc. By the time they were found after nearly 48 hours exposed in hot weather and sun, it might be very difficult to clearly distinguish subtle entry/exit marks or singed skin in an initial autopsy.

And for anyone not convinced of the terrible, deadly power of the ground current released by lightning, over 300 reindeer in Norway dropped dead from cardiac arrest instantaneously due to ground current from a single lightning strike. https://www.cnn.com/cnn/2016/08/29/europe/reindeer-killed-lightning-trnd/index.html

I have a very different narrative of that day that I hope is true, and that I believe is based on what LE and friends are saying about them. They were knowledgeable and well-prepared. They knew the area. They were loving and doting parents and pet owners. They probably knew it would be very hot. They probably knew there was a “Caution” about algae at the Hites Cove section of the river. By the way, a toxic algae “Caution” is the first advisory level above “None” (i.e. no concern) and is below the next two advisory levels, “Warning” and “Danger.” (Source: My Water Quality: California Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs)

Nobody thinks “Let’s go on an 8.5 mile hike in 100+ degree weather and subject our baby and dog to torment and possible death.” But they might think “Let’s spend this miserably hot day down at the river, soaking and splashing in the cool mountain water and resting under streamside shade.” So they start the hike early with food and water for the day, and they arrive down at the river between 9 and 10am when it’s in the 80s or 90s. They say know about the algae situation, so they follow the loop 2 or 3 miles upstream to be well away from it. Then, they spend the next several hours just enjoying the day, soaking themselves and the baby and the dog, maybe even napping in wet clothes in some shade. Around 4pm, they decide to hike up the switchbacks to their car. They are in a deep canyon and those switchbacks are on an east-south face, so the trail up might have very well been in the shade for some time, depending on when the sun passed over the peak. Maybe they all took one last good soak and started the switchbacks with wet clothes and wet fur. Maybe the evaporation and the lack of direct sunshine kept them all pretty comfortable. No one had to suffer. No paws had to burn.

But then, halfway up, perhaps the sky above the crest they were climbing darkened. Perhaps they heard a nearby thunder clap, or the rocks around them started to hum, or they tasted metal, or their hair started to stand up. Perhaps they got some warning that, being exposed on the face of a high peak with no cover, they needed to quickly prepare for a lightning strike.

I’m really hoping this is what happened, despite how tragic it is. It would have been quick. And it would preserve their integrity and reputation as informed, loving people who did everything right, but were simply caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Heatstroke just doesn’t seem to match the scene. They were together, on the trail. People with heatstroke get it at different times, and they get weird. They usually wander. They’re typically not found on trail. These folks had water, which is significant not because of dehydration, but because anyone witnessing a heat emergency in a loved one (which is very distressing from my own experience) would be dumping whatever water was available on the person, or on clothing to wrap around their neck, or on the animal to cool them down. Whoever still had their wits about them would NOT think “I’ll just watch my loved one suffer because this remaining water might come in handy uptrail,” MOO.

Welcome to WS @SpideySense. Thanks for your insightful, sensitive post. Knowledgable stuff here - especially the lightning crouch. :)

Got to strongly disagree. It appears they were woefully unprepared for the conditions and challenges that day. I wonder if they ever attempted a similar challenge (HEAT and steep trail) with>>the baby and dog in toe? Did they hike ALONE in the Himalayas, Gobi Desert and Burning Man, or did they hike with others who may have been familiar with the respective locations? I think the author of the article made a huge assumption stating the doomed hike would not have been unusual to them. MOO.
Agree. If the hike had been "usual", they likely would have died previously.

Excellent post, @SpideySense. And welcome to WS and this thread. I sure hope you're right! I believe it was @RickshawFan, perhaps in Thread#1, who postulated ground lightening might fit this case.

A good discussion ensued, including about the geology of that area. And the possibility of significant veins of metal running through the bedrock (wit mining) - that that might be condusive to attracting ground lightening.

But I wonder beyond what you have described, how would they all present at autopsy / necropsy and why has a conclusion not been reached if this scenario occurred? Why all the toxicology testing and even retesting? Just curious if you have more to add.

But they might think “Let’s spend this miserably hot day down at the river, soaking and splashing in the cool mountain water and resting under streamside shade.” So they start the hike early with food and water for the day, and they arrive down at the river between 9 and 10am when it’s in the 80s or 90s. They say know about the algae situation, so they follow the loop 2 or 3 miles upstream to be well away from it. Then, they spend the next several hours just enjoying the day, soaking themselves and the baby and the dog, maybe even napping in wet clothes in some shade. Around 4pm, they decide to hike up the switchbacks to their car. They are in a deep canyon and those switchbacks are on an east-south face, so the trail up might have very well been in the shade for some time, depending on when the sun passed over the peak. Maybe they all took one last good soak and started the switchbacks with wet clothes and wet fur. Maybe the evaporation and the lack of direct sunshine kept them all pretty comfortable. No one had to suffer. No paws had to burn.
It’s important to note that their backyard has a built-in swimming pool. I sort of find it hard to believe the family drove 21 minutes to this trail so they can cool off in the river. By 9-10 am it was 92-99 degrees.

Last edited:

I was not in the “lightning” camp, but this is the most compelling and well-informed theory of it that I’ve read, especially if it’s true that findings on autopsy may be minimal.

I was not in the “lightning” camp, but this is the most compelling and well-informed theory of it that I’ve read, especially if it’s true that findings on autopsy may be minimal.
And how 'bout time of death estimates? If a ground lightening strike occurred wouldn't there be an identical time of death for all? As opposed to heat stoke, which many here think would vary by entity? I know we don't know the ME's time of death determinations, but LE does.

Then again maybe the "hazard" that has been referenced for that trail area is just that - ground lightening risk due to its unique geology (i.e. metal veins).

Excellent post, @SpideySense. And welcome to WS and this thread. I sure hope you're right! I believe it was @RickshawFan, perhaps in Thread#1, who postulated ground lightening might fit this case.

A good discussion ensued, including about the geology of that area. And the possibility of significant veins of metal running through the bedrock (wit mining) - that that might be condusive to attracting ground lightening.

But I wonder beyond what you have described, how would they all present at autopsy / necropsy and why has a conclusion not been reached if this scenario occurred? Why all the toxicology testing and even retesting? Just curious if you have more to add.
I’m no expert, and this is all MOO based on reading various published studies of post mortem lightning deaths. My takeaway was that forensic signs of death from lightning vary greatly. They run the gamut from obvious trauma and deep burns to nothing more than subtle marks and shallow burns on the skin. Time and temperature will affect those subtle signs post mortem, or make them less obvious.

IIRC, there was a post-autopsy article quoting LE where he said that the autopsy results were in, certain things were ruled out, and then he went on to say one if the scenarios they were considering was lightning. So, it appears the autopsy did not rule out lightning strike.

Again, it’s my hope that the ME believes it was lightning, or is leaning that direction, but because there is no conclusive finding to indicate that, ME must do due diligence and rule out toxicology before arriving at a decision.

Welcome to Websleuths, SpideySense! You've made a very astute observation here. I live in Florida and have seen how lightning hits directly at ground level - it's pretty scary to see!

Lightning Science: Five Ways Lightning Strikes People

If this was in fact the cause - maybe ground current? How awful for the family if this is what happened.

This is dated from 1998 but may provide valuable information:

New Study Indicates Lightning Can Kill Without Leaving A Mark

New findings by a group of Colorado researchers indicates lightning could be the culprit in a number of unexplained fatal heart malfunctions in the outdoors in recent years, including some in the state's high mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz