SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I hope there is some news soon. It leaves questions hanging whether Alex was shot, are there dangerous people at large in the community, etc.

I hope they get this figured out, if nothing else for the safety of those who live in the area. They have enough problems these days, with the pandemic and many people becoming sick and hospitalized.

I understand its a very friendly area and I'm sure the locals are becoming alarmed with all these tragic incidents in their quiet community.

Im really surprised that the locals haven’t been more vocal publicly. That’s a heavy load of intimidation to not be comfortable with requesting information. The public needs to know what or who is at large and how far reaching this ordeal is.

BBM - what does this even mean?

What is his addiction? Drugs? Alcohol? Sex? Gambling?

I'm guessing he was running in a very dark world and he's indebted to someone, they came for their pay day in June and he was reminded yesterday. Hopefully the truth is going to come out now. JMO

That would explain “no threat to the public”.

Here we have the first statement from AM since the murders. Let’s parse away (not statement analysis, I don’t know the field).

It’s prepared, likely with the help of attorneys, and not provided verbally, and thus less valuable than an extemporaneous statement would be. Still, it’s what we have at hand.

The following (other than the statement quoted in italics) is speculation only.

“The murders of my wife and son have caused an incredibly difficult time in my life. I have made a lot of decisions that I truly regret.”

I absolutely believe the murders of one’s significant other and child would be incredibly difficult. No mention of his father’s death, though that was expected after a long illness and wouldn’t be the same shock that the sudden murders provided.

I’m interested that he immediately follows this statement with one of regret over decisions he has made. Is he implying that he regrets decisions made since the murders (time-bracketing)? Or also prior to the murders?

He refers to “a lot” of decisions without linking those decisions to any outcomes other than regret. MOO.

“I’m resigning from my law firm and entering rehab after a long battle that has been exacerbated by these murders.”

This clearly states that his addiction issues preceded the murders, but may have worsened following the murders.

MOO: I buy this. PM clearly exhibited signs of alcohol abuse and what could be construed as enabling by his parents may also have been a combination of 1) not wanting to acknowledge a core issue because it would mean examining the role alcohol plays in their own lives, and 2) anger and shame that PM wasn’t able to maintain a highly functioning facade when drinking. IMO, many family activities involved drinking. IMHO.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if there were co-addictions (or an addiction spawned by a legit attempt to curb drinking as he grew older). Given his demographic, I would guess some form of prescription pills. MOO.

The statement juxtaposing two actions — resigning from the law firm and entering rehab — indicates IMHO that the addiction affected his professional work to the extent that his colleagues felt this action was needed. I don’t see him resigning without pressure being brought to bear. MOO.

As a partner, I assume he’d have to be bought out. Would he be able to resign and still maintain any ownership stake?

“I am immensely sorry to everyone I’ve hurt including my family, friends and colleagues. I ask for prayers as I rehabilitate myself and my relationships.”

Here he seems to circle back to a lot of decisions he’s made and link those decisions to people who have been hurt by those decisions. Still vaguespeak, but any statement issued through an attorney is unlikely to be more specific.

The thought that he can “save” himself and his relationships despite the decisions he now regrets is interesting. The language indicates the belief that his decisions didn’t permanently destroy either and that he can contemplate a positive outcome (less likely for someone experiencing suicidal thoughts or deep depression). Of course, it’s somewhat boilerplate PR-speak. MOO.

Overall: The statement is focused on himself, decisions he now regrets, his addiction and his desire to repair damage to himself and his relationships. It is a non-specific confession that he’s hurt those closest to him.

There’s no mention of seeking justice for the murders or for the alleged attack, although there may be different reasons why neither was mentioned in terms of closure.

The silence on the roadside incident in particular is notable since it immediately preceded — and thus appears to be a precipitating factor for — this statement. This combined with the absence of an LE statement suggests that they are not seeking a third party in conjunction with this incident. IMHO only.

IMO, this would not be an easy public statement to issue for someone with his standing in the community (from which he likely derived some measure of self-worth) and for someone with his background (prominent, country locale, southern male). The default is usually to project strength and deny psychological/emotional/mental anguish. I suspect that he received strong counsel from family, friends and colleagues to issue this statement. I’d welcome thoughts from professionals on this.

IMO, substance abuse, addiction and great personal losses do not free someone from the consequences of poor decisions or from criminal conduct. Our prisons are filled with people who have experienced this trifecta, and AM probably prosecuted many who experienced the same.

However, sincerely taking accountability for these things usually leads to taking accountability for the consequences as well. IMO.

I hope this is the case for AM. I can’t help but wonder if things would have unfolded much differently had PM taken accountability for his issues and poor decision making.

I wish AM well in recovery and I hope for justice in the murders of MM and PM.

My interpretation is similar to yours. If each sentence was crafted from bullet points I could imagine the following outline (IMO):

-Not well
-Poor decisions (IMO suspects these will become public)
-Action being taken
-Attempt to justify or excuse - (Demonstrate escalation of poor decisions/issues have reached a new level since the murders)
-Prayers and forgiveness

“The murders of my wife and son have caused an incredibly difficult time in my life. I have made a lot of decisions that I truly regret. I’m resigning from my law firm and entering rehab after a long battle that has been exacerbated by these murders. I am immensely sorry to everyone I’ve hurt including my family, friends and colleagues. I ask for prayers as I rehabilitate myself and my relationships.”

Alex Murdaugh to enter rehab, resign from law firm after weekend shooting

Last edited:
I have never heard of anyone airlifted for any kind of psych hold. I believe an ambulance or LE vehicle would be used if it was a psychiatric concern. I have no direct knowledge of this however. It is my guess only.
He supposedly called 911 and said he'd been shot in the head, in which case, if true, he needed to be airlifted. But when LE got there and he didn't appear to be hurt, he could have claimed chest pains.

Just as an aside, that model Mercedes does not come standard with a jack or a spare nor does Mercedes make a jack or a spare for it - one has to buy an aftermarket package. That's because it has those special tires that can be driven when flat.

Someone please correct me if you find any other information. It's entirely possible of course that Murdaugh had that add-on...

That’s what has been said by people who own the same car.

My interpretation is similar to yours. If each sentence was crafted from bullet points I could imagine the following outline (IMO):

-Not well
-Action being taken
-Attempt to justify or excuse - (Demonstrate escalation of poor decisions/issues have reached a new level since the murders)
-Prayers and forgiveness

“The murders of my wife and son have caused an incredibly difficult time in my life. I have made a lot of decisions that I truly regret. I’m resigning from my law firm and entering rehab after a long battle that has been exacerbated by these murders. I am immensely sorry to everyone I’ve hurt including my family, friends and colleagues. I ask for prayers as I rehabilitate myself and my relationships.”

Good analysis. I think he’s also trying to set up a diminished-capacity defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Not well
-Action being taken
-Prayers and forgiveness

That’s a good analysis. I imagine the PR firm crafted this very strategic statement for AM to release.

We don’t know what is true at this point. The statement has a motive ‘overlook many things because AM is having a rough time’. So now if the tire story is fabricated they will say it’s because he was in a bad way.

I have never heard of anyone airlifted for any kind of psych hold. I believe an ambulance or LE vehicle would be used if it was a psychiatric concern. I have no direct knowledge of this however. It is my guess only.
Apparently it’s SOP for anyone with a gunshot wound to the head to be airlifted because there is SO much blood.

He supposedly called 911 and said he'd been shot in the head, in which case, if true, he needed to be airlifted. But when LE got there and he didn't appear to be hurt, he could have claimed chest pains.

That’s a possibility. I’m not ready yet to assume what AM said on the 911 call or to his brother on a subsequent call. All the initial info regarding the passing truck and gunfire came from an attorney who said he got it from RM (AM’s brother).

Unraveling who said what to whom and when will be interesting. IMO.

Dick Harpootlian is a high profile, well known South Carolina Senator and Defense attorney. Interesting AM's statement was released through him.

You're right Mr. Harpootlian is very high profile. State Sen. Dick Harpootlian is mentioned as one of the two attorneys advocating for Paul Murdaugh in the Mallory Beach boat crash.

Murdaugh files motion for lenient conditions in deadly boat crash - published on Friday, July 26th 2019:

"State Sen. Dick Harpootlian and James M. Griffin, Murdaugh's attorney, asked the judge Tuesday to change the bond conditions. Which would allow Murdaugh to go anywhere within South Carolina so that he may “attend college, work, live, consult with his attorneys and for any other lawful purpose", according to the Island Packet."

Ok I’ve been loosely following the wife and son murder in the news but haven’t read here or much elsewhere aside from mainstream news headlines. The weekend shooting of husband/dad has caught my attention though and I figure if anyone has the lowdown it’s the esteemed fellow members of this forum. While I know we can’t point fingers at victims and I’d like to point out I’m not doing so, but at same time can anyone give me the quick info as to dad/husbands whereabouts at the time his son and wife were murdered? I can’t help but feel it’s a latent attempt at reinforcing a third party with intent, which there may really be. But still.

All the questions we have had regarding yesterday…tire, location, shell casings, church parking lot, 2 people with a car or SUV, his ability to call 911 with a head wound, why SLED arrived an hour later, no perp warnings, where he was airlifted to and more…could possibly not make any sense due to it being somewhat fabricated. Who knows the truth? SLED??

ETA-typo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads