Canada - Coronavirus COVID-19 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's funny - the philosophy professor wants to challenge covid mandate on the basis of (from your link):

“I want to be very clear in rejecting it in principle, I don’t think we ever should have been in the place where we’re looking at the situation of mandates, so I’m not just seeking an exemption to one, I’m challenging the very foundation of the idea,” Ponesse said."
I'm sure she can produce many philosophical reasons that pandemic precautions are unfair. Everyone knows that the debate is between individual and societal rights. She's lucky to be on paid leave.

More or less an admission that Alberta did not rely on scientific data to eliminate all restrictions in July.

"Alberta's plan to lift all pandemic restrictions and precautions appears to have been based on a scenario rooted more in wishful optimism and political expediency than obvious scientific evidence, say experts in infectious diseases and pandemic modelling.

But they say the problem was compounded as Premier Jason Kenney and Dr. Deena Hinshaw, the chief medical officer of health, failed to reimpose measures despite the steady rise of COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations through the summer.

In late May, Kenney promised the "best summer ever" for Albertans as he announced the government's three-part plan to be the first and most open province in Canada, with no restrictions by July 1.

Then in late July, Hinshaw announced the province would end testing, contact tracing and mandatory isolation, a move that alarmed doctors and infectious disease experts across the country.

Karlen said Alberta's assumptions were based on the decline of the alpha variant of COVID-19, despite evidence that the more contagious delta variant was surging and would become dominant.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-covid-19-modelling-1.6168948

That's funny - the philosophy professor wants to challenge covid mandate on the basis of (from your link):

“I want to be very clear in rejecting it in principle, I don’t think we ever should have been in the place where we’re looking at the situation of mandates, so I’m not just seeking an exemption to one, I’m challenging the very foundation of the idea,” Ponesse said."
I'm sure she can produce many philosophical reasons that pandemic precautions are unfair. Everyone knows that the debate is between individual and societal rights. She's lucky to be on paid leave.

I guess it’s up to her, if she does not follow the rules of employment she will soon be out of work.

It’s the same thing that many hospitals are doing, giving staff a date by which to be vaccinated, then 2 weeks to think it over. If they refuse, no job.

I wouldn’t want her to be teaching me ethics or logic though.

I’m personally wondering what has truly happened to PUBLIC HEALTH, now that it’s up to the individuals to decide.

When I was a very young child, we had a huge red letter posted on our front door by Public Health. Someone had measles or chicken pox…we were like outcasts to prevent the spread. lol

I guess it’s up to her, if she does not follow the rules of employment she will soon be out of work.

It’s the same thing that many hospitals are doing, giving staff a date by which to be vaccinated, then 2 weeks to think it over. If they refuse, no job.

I wouldn’t want her to be teaching me ethics or logic though.

I’m personally wondering what has truly happened to PUBLIC HEALTH, now that it’s up to the individuals to decide.

When I was a very young child, we had a huge red letter posted on our front door by Public Health. Someone had measles or chicken pox…we were like outcasts to prevent the spread. lol
I think all those public health measures were hugely successful: a couple of generations since we've had to worry about killer infectious diseases, cholera in the drinking water, frequent food poisoning.

Similarly, the university professor and unvaxxed healthcare workers seem to be unaware that they're being paid by taxpayers.

We hear all about the rights of the Covid-deniers, what about the right to protect ourselves from them?

Most parents in this small community refused to send their kids to school when the kindergarten teacher received a mask exemption.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...-over-staff-member-s-mask-exemption-1.6168922

I believe the publicity lit a fire under authorities and the teacher was put on leave and another, masked, teacher, will be taking the class.

One faculty at the University of Calgary has announced an outbreak ... seems to suggest pack up your stuff and figure out how to learn from home.

"... we need to take definitive action quickly if we are to contain this outbreak and get back to normal as quickly as possible. Your instructors will be in touch shortly with instructions for meeting online. If you have a computer or other material in the studio that you require, please retrieve it as quickly as possible on Monday."

Meanwhile...
Politicians issue warnings ahead of hospital protests expected across Canada
''September 13, 2021
Some high-ranking Ontario politicians and prominent health-care organizations are issuing warnings ahead of a number of protests expected to take place at hospitals across Canada today.

An organization calling itself Canadian Frontline Nurses posted notices of “silent vigils” expected to take place in all 10 provinces, saying they're meant to critique public health measures put in place to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Prospective locations include the Winnipeg Health Sciences Centre, Toronto General Hospital and the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre in Halifax.

People march during a protest against COVID-19 vaccine passports and mandatory vaccinations for healthcare workers, in Vancouver, on Wednesday, September 1, 2021. The protest began outside Vancouver General Hospital and police estimated the crowd gathered to be as many as 5,000 people. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

Organizers say they want to take a stand against what they call “tyrannical measures and government overreach,” adding that they are not encouraging nurses to walk out on their shifts or abandon patients.

Post secondary institutions are learning the hard way that half-measures do not work.

"Nine of Alberta's largest post-secondary institutions have jointly announced plans to eliminate rapid testing options and instead require proof of COVID-19 immunization to attend campus.

The schools in Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat will soon require students, staff, faculty and visitors to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of their vaccination status.

Exceptions will be made for "campus community members who cannot be vaccinated based on medical or other protected grounds outlined in the Alberta Human Rights Act." According to the schools, people eligible for an exception will need to self-declare to their respective school and requests will be "reasonably accommodated."​

Alberta universities to mandate vaccinations for students, staff and visitors attending campus

Based on 79% of people in ICU being unvaccinated, I suppose that means that 21% of people in ICU are at least partially vaccinated.

"The number of people in ICU in Alberta reached 256 on Monday afternoon, the highest level since the COVID-19 pandemic began more than a year ago.

And Alberta Health Services officials say 79 per cent of patients in ICU are not vaccinated.

The number of patients in ICU has increased 19 per cent in the last seven days, says AHS.

"We are very close to requiring triage to determine who gets life-saving treatment and who does not," reads the letter, signed by eight members of the EZMSA.
Intensive care unit admissions in Alberta reach highest level yet

With 85 per cent of its eligible population vaccinated against COVID-19, Canada ranks as one of the best-protected countries in the world. For people who have already received their shots, this is welcome news, but it comes with an important caveat: The Delta variant is now dominant across the country and is driving case numbers upward. With cold weather approaching and driving people indoors, and the potential for other variants on the horizon, scientists and health authorities have turned their attention to the question of who may need additional shots to bolster their defences against the virus – and when.

Here’s a closer look at the science – and ethics – of getting a third dose.

What you need to know about COVID-19 immunity, third doses and booster shots

Ontario reports 600 new COVID cases, releases new data for vaccination status by age group

On Monday, the province released new information that now includes age data for daily COVID-19 cases by vaccine status.

The province is now including new data that reflects hospitalizations and cases by vaccination status. Ontario is warning that the new process may cause discrepancies between other hospitalization numbers being collected using a different process, and that the data may not match daily COVID-19 case counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodfish