Canada - Coronavirus COVID-19 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry this is happening in Florida but we should all take note fwiw:

Ask for COVID-19 vaccine proof, face a US$5,000 fine in Florida

I don't know if this is a uniquely American phenomenon, as the U.K. is not requiring vax passports. I believe the argument is that if restrictions (masks, passports, etc.) aren't resisted then it's a slippery slope into becoming like Australia, where major cities are locked down for months at a time.

Ontario reports 600 new COVID cases, releases new data for vaccination status by age group

On Monday, the province released new information that now includes age data for daily COVID-19 cases by vaccine status.

The province is now including new data that reflects hospitalizations and cases by vaccination status. Ontario is warning that the new process may cause discrepancies between other hospitalization numbers being collected using a different process, and that the data may not match daily COVID-19 case counts.

I wish everyplace would present data like that last link. Interesting the massive difference in efficacy after a second dose.

Awh, that's a tough situation. It looks like he did everything with the best of intentions. However, we really do need to make sure people are vaccinated with vaccines that have a proven record. At the same time, we don't want to make provision for vaccine monopolies.

It seems to me that revaccination is a logical solution and is already a common practice, but I also understand his reluctance.

I hope that they find a way to resolve this.

Awh, that's a tough situation. It looks like he did everything with the best of intentions. However, we really do need to make sure people are vaccinated with vaccines that have a proven record. At the same time, we don't want to make provision for vaccine monopolies.

It seems to me that revaccination is a logical solution and is already a common practice, but I also understand his reluctance.

I hope that they find a way to resolve this.
Too bad they can't figure out how to test for antibody levels and figure out if they're meaningful or not as far as protection, and if not, why not, etc. imo.

Too bad they can't figure out how to test for antibody levels and figure out if they're meaningful or not as far as protection, and if not, why not, etc. imo.

I believe you can get a COVID antibody test from any lab such as LifeLabs/Dynacare etc.

Not covered by OHIP but available with a requisition.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kenney-shandro-hinshaw-update-covid-19-1.6177210

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney on Wednesday apologized for his government's handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.

A decision this spring to move toward an endemic, versus a pandemic, approach seemed like the right thing to do based on data from other jurisdictions with similar vaccination rates, Kenney told a news conference at which he and other officials introduced strict and sweeping new measures to combat the spread of COVID-19.

"It is now clear that we were wrong, and for that I apologize," Kenney said.

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney announces vaccine passport system and wide-ranging public health restrictions.

Better late than never. I can't help but wonder if the loosening of restrictions was just so that Calgary could host their beloved Stampede.
But most Stampede events are outdoors, and the Stampede was finished in mid July, whereas cases showed a pattern of exponential increase in the beginning of August.

The government stood their ground, refusing to give way to the actual case numbers and the warnings of medical health professionals, including Chief PHO Tam, until some hospitals have become unable to function.

Personally, I think covid patients should have be delivered to the offices and homes of Kenny, Hinshaw and Shandro, as it seems otherwise they didn't believe such patients existed.

But most Stampede events are outdoors, and the Stampede was finished in mid July, whereas cases showed a pattern of exponential increase in the beginning of August.

The government stood their ground, refusing to give way to the actual case numbers and the warnings of medical health professionals, including Chief PHO Tam, until some hospitals have become unable to function.

Personally, I think covid patients should have be delivered to the offices and homes of Kenny, Hinshaw and Shandro, as it seems otherwise they didn't believe such patients existed.

The Stampede was the middle of July, and an exponential increase in cases was documented two weeks later.

Alberta might have been able to manage the Stampede had they not also stopped wearing masks, stopped contact tracing (gasp), stopped isolating when positive (OMG!) and stopped all other measures to keep covid under control.

Exponential increases start off slowly, then the tempo picks up until seemingly out of the blue, there are only enough icu beds for 10 days.

IMO, stopping all mitigating measures was done in order to host a normal Stampede. I suspect public health measures would have stayed in place, but for the Stampede.

One action the mayor [of Calgary] suggested was for the city to partner with local pharmacies to bring mobile vaccination buses to locations like train stations to lower barriers to access. He added that Alberta Health leadership previously mocked him for suggesting a pop-up vaccine clinic be set up during the Calgary Stampede in July.

"It's clear that Alberta Health and Alberta Health Services have abandoned targeted vaccination efforts except for one bus in all of Alberta," Nenshi said in a scrum following the meeting.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-council-covid-1.6177726

COVID-19 public health actions

Here is the government site explaining new protocols. I'm from U.S., but always panic when I see "banning indoor dining and drinking at restaurants and pubs." This looks reasonable - everyplace can operate, as normal, as long as patrons provide proof of vax or negative test. That seems to be becoming the norm everywhere.

The Stampede was the middle of July, and an exponential increase in cases was documented two weeks later.

Alberta might have been able to manage the Stampede had they not also stopped wearing masks, stopped contact tracing (gasp), stopped isolating when positive (OMG!) and stopped all other measures to keep covid under control.

Exponential increases start off slowly, then the tempo picks up until seemingly out of the blue, there are only enough icu beds for 10 days.

IMO, stopping all mitigating measures was done in order to host a normal Stampede. I suspect public health measures would have stayed in place, but for the Stampede.

I don't recall any politicians in Calgary demanding that all covid restrictions be dropped in order to host Stampede. In my opinion, the provincial government made decisions based on imaginary science (admitted by Hinshaw) where she declared that covid was over, and that hospitals could no longer be overwhelmed with covid patients. I suspect that the provincial government was also influenced by protests against covid restrictions. The Calgary mayor has been wary of dropping all covid restrictions since July, often debating implementing city based restrictions regardless of provincial decisions.

The Stampede in July did not result in a rise in numbers in late July. Sept 15 is when the numbers suddenly spiked. That more likely corresponds to tourists and international students arriving in late August, where they did not have to self-isolate, regardless of whether they were ill with covid.

University of Calgary International Student Population:

"About 3,000 [10%] of its student body are international, hailing from around 125 countries."
University of Calgary

"In 2014-15, international students comprised 35.1 per cent of graduate students and 13.8 per cent of undergraduates, compared with 20.3 per cent and 4.4 per cent respectively in 2005-06."
The U of A Student Body | For The Public Good

Number of Post-Sec Institutions in Alberta that attract International Students:

"There are 26 publicly funded post-secondary institutions in Alberta"
Publicly funded post-secondary institutions

I don't recall any politicians in Calgary demanding that all covid restrictions be dropped in order to host Stampede. In my opinion, the provincial government made decisions based on imaginary science (admitted by Hinshaw) where she declared that covid was over, and that hospitals could no longer be overwhelmed with covid patients. I suspect that the provincial government was also influenced by protests against covid restrictions. The Calgary mayor has been wary of dropping all covid restrictions since July, often debating implementing city based restrictions regardless of provincial decisions.

The Stampede in July did not result in a rise in numbers in late July. Sept 15 is when the numbers suddenly spiked. That more likely corresponds to tourists and international students arriving in late August, where they did not have to self-isolate, regardless of whether they were ill with covid.

University of Calgary International Student Population:

"About 3,000 [10%] of its student body are international, hailing from around 125 countries."
University of Calgary

"In 2014-15, international students comprised 35.1 per cent of graduate students and 13.8 per cent of undergraduates, compared with 20.3 per cent and 4.4 per cent respectively in 2005-06."
The U of A Student Body | For The Public Good

Number of Post-Sec Institutions in Alberta that attract International Students:

"There are 26 publicly funded post-secondary institutions in Alberta"
Publicly funded post-secondary institutions

Anyone entering Canada must be fully vaccinated, so I don't think we can blame international students for the uptick.

But yah, imaginary science fiction was indeed the basis for recklessly dropping public health precautions.

Calgary Mayor again debating implementing city-based restrictions, regardless of provincial government decisions.

"Calgary to take own measures to act on COVID-19 crisis, saying province 'doesn't care'.

As well, doctors were being told to prepare to make life-or-death decisions as to which patients will be able to access interventions like ventilators.

"Regardless of the politics and the ideology and the endless lurching back and forth like a Stampede ride that we're hearing from the province, your city government is here for you … and we'll continue to do what it takes to get us out of this," Nenshi said, following city council's last meeting of the session late Wednesday evening."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-council-covid-1.6177726

Anyone entering Canada must be fully vaccinated, so I don't think we can blame international students for the uptick.

But yah, imaginary science fiction was indeed the basis for recklessly dropping public health precautions.

What else might have happened in late August to cause a spike in mid-September? Opening of Canadian borders? The spike is across the country, not just Alberta.

COVID-19 public health actions

Here is the government site explaining new protocols. I'm from U.S., but always panic when I see "banning indoor dining and drinking at restaurants and pubs." This looks reasonable - everyplace can operate, as normal, as long as patrons provide proof of vax or negative test. That seems to be becoming the norm everywhere.

Alberta is implementing that measure - proof of double vaccine to gain entry to participating businesses. Given that Canada is heading into colder weather, patio dining will soon be out of the question. The only option for keeping restaurants open is vaccine passports for indoor dining.

"Alberta Premier Jason Kenney on Wednesday introduced strict and sweeping new measures to combat the spread of COVID-19 as he apologized for his government's handling of the pandemic.

The measures include a new program that requires people to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test in order to gain entry to participating businesses and social events."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kenney-shandro-hinshaw-update-covid-19-1.6177210

What else might have happened in late August to cause a spike in mid-September? Opening of Canadian borders? The spike is across the country, not just Alberta.

I suspect the 5 provinces, BC, AB, SK, ON and QC had situations in which they were opening up while the delta variant was getting a strong foothold.

NS, NL, PEI, NB, MB, NU, NT and YU didn't see spikes.

COVID-19 daily epidemiology update - Canada.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member