Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gabby Petito's stepfather tells her boyfriend 'to step up and do the right thing | Daily Mail Online

James Schmidt traveled to Wyoming on Wednesday morning to assist authorities in their efforts to locate Petito, 22, just hours after her boyfriend Brian Laundrie was named a person of interest in the investigation.

'We were made aware of that earlier today,' Jim Schmidt, a former fire chief in Blue Point, Long Island, told DailyMail.com in an exclusive video interview at Grand Teton National Park. 'He was with her, so he has to know something.'

Schmidt then made a direct appeal to the boyfriend's family, who released a brief statement through their attorney on Tuesday that they were 'remaining in the background' as the search continued.

<snip>
'
Our family's aware of the statements made by his attorney,' Schmidt said, forcefully. 'It's unacceptable. It is unacceptable to us. We deserve more. Gabby deserves more information out there. She deserves to be found and brought home safe. And we need you to step up and do the right thing.

'I understand a parent's wishes are to always protect their children, no matter what,' he continued. 'I understand that. But it's also about teaching your children the right thing and doing the right thing, no matter what the circumstances are. Whatever may have transpired or didn't transpire, they need to come forward and start speaking to law enforcement agencies and be forthcoming with information.

'The longer they don't, the longer it's going to take to bring her home. And we need her home now. So, they have to. It's not a matter of sit back. They have to come forward, for Gabby, for everyone.'

Schmidt flew from New York into Jackson Hole, Wyoming on Tuesday night and plans to stay in Grand Teton until Gabby is found.

'This is where she was last known to be going,' he said. 'She was traveling through the west out here, from Colorado to Utah, up through the Grand Teton region. We felt we needed a presence here, to let people know we're here and we want to find Gabby and bring her home.'

'Since we got here, we've been basically working almost around the clock trying to gather information and let it be known that we're out here and that we're looking for her,' he continued. 'I spoke to one law enforcement official. We're really just here to support them in their investigation. We don't want to interfere and hinder anything that they have, but we just want to show that we're here for them and available for them at a moment's notice for any questions or anything they may need.'

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning psychotic breaks. Nobody was psychotic. They had a fight and she was upset and crying. Then the two of them calmed down enough to agree to going separate ways for the night. There was no evidence of any psychosis or even a serious crime. The most the officer could have done is issue a speeding ticket to BL and/or arrest her for assault but he diffused the situation.
The accounts of officers Robinson and Pratt in the police report from both their personal observations and their interview of the witness tell us a lot: she was afraid of being left - did not wan5 to be separated from him at the store. Later did not want to be separated from her car - they sent him to the hotel. They were not on medication. He locked her out of the car at the store. I keep saying store but I am referring to the place where the witness was present. They were fighting over someone’s phone during this time of her fear. Not far fetched to think something had already happened to make her think he’d abandon her. Did he threaten her with this? The witness is a good piece of evidence.

Huh? I’ve seen nothing reported about her ever meeting those people. I realize you stated theory but have you seen any reports that they ever met or were ever even at the same campground at the same time? Those deaths are completely unrelated as far as I am aware. Do the time lines match up? I have seen footage or reports can’t remember which there’s a lot of reporting on this that they met one other fellow camper earlier in their travel and it was a male.

I haven’t either. That’s why I started my post as THEORY.

As far as I am aware currently, the time lines CORRELATE….they do not MATCH….I never stated or claimed that they match. If you have proof that they do not match or that they do…..please provide.

Please post links to the footage or posts that you have seen that shows that they did or did not meet.

It’s pretty safe to say that they met a lot of people on their journey. Some have come forward to MSM saying they remember them. K and C can’t come forward to tell whether they met them or not.

Just sayin. Jmho.falyal.

Driving her van back to Florida without her is going to be difficult to impossible to defend, especially considering that he had flown home previously. It stands to reason that if he just wanted to get away from her, he could have without taking her van and abandoning her.

And I don't believe she would have allowed him to take her van from her willingly.

Honestly I think the only way he takes her van and drives it to Florida without her is she's no longer alive. However that happened is unknown, but I don't see any scenario in my own mind how she lets him have the van unless she is no longer around. She very obviously loved that van and spent a lot of time on it and owned it, so, no, he doesn't just get the van, IMO, unless the worst possible thing happened, and he was aware of it. I'm not saying he caused whatever happened, but taking the van was like closing the door on the whole trip and their relationship.

... *unless* she did come back with him and then disappeared afterwards. Still, then, how does he end up with the van.

IMO it makes no sense.

There were all in the same area at the same time. And police have stated they aren’t ruling out a connection.
Utah investigators 'not ruling anything out' in double homicide near missing Gabby Petito incident
Wow. That is new to me. Last night it was reported that the events were thought to be unrelated. Thanks. But still assuming it can’t be ruled out, if the scenario played out as was posted the BF wold be running to the police as the first witness - not hiding.

I didn't think they argued *at* Moonflower. The first story I read about it said they argued a few blocks from Moonflower, then it was two blocks. Then a couple of hours later it was *at" Moonflower. I think the connection to the two women and this case might be just a situation where people are subtly altering facts in the Gabby-BL timeline to make them fit a bit more into the two women murdered timeline to see a connection between the two murders. I don't see how they are related but who knows. I would like to know for sure how far away from Moonflower they actually did have their fight.

I’m going completely by the official police report that puts the initial 911 call and altercation at the coordinates of the Moonflower.

Utah police stopped Gabby Petito and fiancé after fight on road trip before she went missing, report says
(Utah police stopped Gabby Petito and fiancé after fight on road trip before she went missing, report says)

---

My personal opinion: Put yourself in the boyfriend's shoes: If you did NOT know anything about Gabby's disappearance whatsoever, you would emphasize that to others... In this scenario, the boyfriend is refusing to cooperate. He knows something. Whether he did anything or not, he knows something.

Yes, indeed, he knows something. His actions and his silence tell it all, IMO.
And this:

Welcome to Websleuths,
June Mizumono !!

Me at 22 tryin to live my dream: %There ain’t no g*dd*am way you’re takin this van that I’ve spent hours of labor and love making into my dream away from me. Over my dead body mthrfkr!!

me currently at 50 thinking how I’d react if same situation arose: oh. HELL.NO.

%edited they’re to there.

Last edited:
Some really interesting developments within the last hour. Would love to hear other peoples' thoughts on this.

Utah investigators 'not ruling anything out' in double homicide near missing Gabby Petito incident - FOX News
<snipped & BBM>
Utah investigators have not ruled out a potential connection between two high-profile cases
in the scenic campgrounds around Moab – a grisly double-homicide that left newlyweds dead and an apparent lovers’ quarrel involving a woman who has since gone missing.

[...]

Schulte worked nearby at a co-op grocery store called Moonflower – the organic, herb-scented bodega where Gabby Petito, 22, and Brian Laundrie, 23, got into an emotional argument that prompted a police response on Aug. 12.

The proximity of time and location prompted speculation that the two separate incidents may share another connection.

[...]

Laundrie has been named a person of interest but not a suspect in connection with Petito’s disappearance, and authorities have not definitively linked the two cases.

Turner and Schulte were newlyweds on a camping trip when they were shot and killed. Schulte’s aunt Bridget Calvert said her niece and Turner had told friends at least twice about a man who was "creeping them out" around the campground, FOX 13 reported.

Coincidence?? I considered it when I found this thread since I am following the Turner/Schulte thread, but I'm not so sure, not so sure. If Gabby is found as a victim anywhere near the site of the women's demise, maybe I'll re-think, but IMO the person of interest re Gabby would have to be ruled out.
OTOH, can we rule out the POI -- WRT the women's deaths? If the proximity of time makes sense? Hmmmmm. Creepy, creepy. And truly horrible to imagine.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to GP, whatever the outcome, one thing is for sure: BL 's continued silence is ruining his future. Anyone here want to marry him or allow your daughter to even date him? Want to hire him to greet or serve customers at your business? This case and his behavior will follow him forever. I venture to say it will follow him forever even if GP is found alive, because of what he has put her family through, the searchers through, and etc. His complicit family members are doing him no favors.

Coincidence?? I considered it when I found this thread since I am following the Turner/Schulte thread as well, but I have essentially ruled it out.
IF Gabby is found as a victim anywhere near the site of the women's demise, maybe I'll re-think, but IMO the person of interest re Gabby would have to be ruled out.

It’s tough. Moab is sooo small. Like, I grew up in a town in eastern Ky with a population of 3500 and spending time in Moab felt like half that, at most. Its so hard to believe that these are unrelated. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that it’s a crazy coincidence, but, man, if that’s the case…in Moab….then…. I dunno.

This one will not have a good outcome I fear. Stay with me here…I don’t think the Moab murders seem too far off base. If BL is pissed thinking they were the ones to call the cops, maybe he had a bone to pick with them. They were last seen on 8/13 10:30pm and found on 8/18 which leaves almost 5 days. BL could have killed the women, maybe he freaked out and needed to get the hell out of dodge so he booked it back to FL on 8/17 using the storage moving as an excuse. Once the coast was clear he headed back that way. Maybe somehow Gabby ended up finding out and he had to get rid of her? It honestly doesn’t seem too far fetched to me, especially with the dates lining up.

Also, for those who have never been to the area, it would be extremely easy to disappear someone. Go for a hike, stand close to the edge, and hip check the unsuspecting victim. My husband and I have hiked in the area and it could very well be made to look like an accident. With that being true, I find it very hard to believe he’d drive with her body or anything like that. Also, if they did make it to Yellowstone, i always think of the hot geysers and steam pots. Most are boiling and acidic. If you “fell” in one, there would essentially be nothing left. I believe it happened to a tourist not too many years ago and nothing was ever recovered.

Last edited:
To plays devil's advocate here, what if he did -- "something wrong," but less wrong -- than first or second degree murder and wants to mitigate against being charged with a more serious crime? He is better off lawyering up and saying nothing at all except under advise of lawyer. You and I may not like it, but it is something every attorney would advise for good reasons

I am not saying that is the case, but one cannot just say one only needs lawyer unless they did something wrong. In fact it maybe that you are at risk of maximum possible charge if you don't lawyer up.

I am not defending this guy or the acts I have a suspicion he may have committed. If he killed this woman I hope he gets life or is executed. But if I were called into a police station to be interviewed about a crime, even if I was 100% innocent, if I thought I might in any way be a suspect, I would lawyer up.

As far as "protecting his rights still cooperating," that is a bit of a conflict since he does have the constitutional right not to cooperate whatsoever.
I'm not sure I agree that he's better off, with the facts as they are known.

This is her so-called boyfriend, not a stranger. When something happens that is not murder, you call 911, not abandon your girlfriend to her fate and contact a lawyer for advice!

This was a missing persons case, no one had leapt to any conclusions about a crime. But, by refusing to speak to police, he's defined this as crime and brought all the suspicion on himself.

I think he's helped police focus in on the true nature of this situation, and they're going to throw everything they've got at gathering evidence against him, probably bringing in the FBI.

IMO, no one wants this strategy to be a precendent for 'how to get away with murder'.

The accounts of officers Robinson and Pratt in the police report from both their personal observations and their interview of the witness tell us a lot: she was afraid of being left - did not wan5 to be separated from him at the store. Later did not want to be separated from her car - they sent him to the hotel. They were not on medication. He locked her out of the car at the store. I keep saying store but I am referring to the place where the witness was present. They were fighting over someone’s phone during this time of her fear. Not far fetched to think something had already happened to make her think he’d abandon her. Did he threaten her with this? The witness is a good piece of evidence.
Is there a link to the full police report? Can anyone link it.

This one will not have a good outcome I fear. Stay with me here…I don’t think the Moab murders seem too far off base. If BL is pissed knowing they were the ones to call the cops, maybe he had a bone to pick with them. They were last seen on 8/13 10:30pm and found on 8/18 which leaves almost 5 days. BL could have killed the women, maybe he freaked out and needed to get the hell out of dodge so he booked it back to FL on 8/17 using the storage moving as an excuse. Once the coast was clear he headed back that way. Maybe somehow Gabby ended up finding out and he had to get rid of her? It honestly doesn’t seem too far fetched to me, especially with the dates lining up.

Also, for those who have never been to the area, it would be extremely easy to disappear someone. Go for a hike, stand close to the edge, and hip check the unsuspecting victim. My husband and I have hiked in the area and it could very well be made to look like an accident. With that being true, I find it very hard to believe he’d drive with her body or anything like that. Also, if they did make it to Yellowstone, i always think of the hot geysers and steam pots. Most are boiling and acidic. If you “fell” in one, there would essentially be nothing left. I believe it happened to a tourist not too many years ago and nothing was ever recovered.

That is my concern. With the cocky lawyering up, I have to wonder if BL believes there is nothing to find. Link has graphic details about the hot springs and what happens to a person who falls into one; (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...all-into-one-of-yellowstones-hot-springs/amp/)
Whether a hot spring or one of the many other natural disposal possibilities. The longer he stays quiet the less likely police will find anything at all :( In fact, BL may not have even harmed her. Just abandoning her somewhere could easily be a death sentence.

I’ve wondered if he took her body back to Florida. Because everyone is searching WY & UT.

Or dumped her body on the way out...lotsa nothing in between the Grand Tetons and Florida... And dump her sweet little body ASAP.

But then having her dead body there might lead to evidence later, even though she had been in the van many, many, many times while she was alive. --> I'm assuming that dead-body evidence would differ from live-body evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels