Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I just realized and thought was interesting (sorry if this has been said before): everyone has been thinking that the captions on her most recent Instagrams were odd and possibly written by Brian. I always thought the "happy halloween" caption was the strangest out of the bunch - especially the fly emoji. However, I just connected this with the fact that in the body cam video Brian specifically mentions how the flies have been bothering Gabby and causing her to act up. It seems quite coincidental for him to point that out as being a cause of their relationship problems only for the emoji of one to be used in her last Instagram caption as well (along with improperly timed halloween wishes). Maybe just more evidence pointing to Brian writing the captions??

Just remember that GP has two sets of parents due to divorce. I wouldn't be surprised if her mum knew about the incident (probably who she called), but maybe not the step dad, or bio dad.

Her mum is the one that mentioned there were questions about where the relationship was going.

Kind of a tangent from the current path of discussion, but I find it interesting I’ve been reading a lot of people who were recently in Yellowstone say there is a very heavy Bear awareness right now — both Grizzlys and Black Bears being seen on trails and trails closed for bears, people told to hike in groups of 3+. Some people who have been to Yellowstone for years and never seen a bear there said they saw 6 bears on their trip in late August.

Something I just realized and thought was interesting (sorry if this has been said before): everyone has been thinking that the captions on her most recent Instagrams were odd and possibly written by Brian. I always thought the "happy halloween" caption was the strangest out of the bunch - especially the fly emoji. However, I just connected this with the fact that in the body cam video Brian specifically mentions how the flies have been bothering Gabby and causing her to act up. It seems quite coincidental for him to point that out as being a cause of their relationship problems only for the emoji of one to be used in her last Instagram caption as well (along with improperly timed halloween wishes). Maybe just more evidence pointing to Brian writing the captions??
Halloween is GP's thing -- she loves it. (See her Twitter history).

I saw other people post this too and I had closed captioning on when I watched it and did not see this. I kept diving in and out though. I saw Robbins say to her at the end take a shower, call your parents, etc. but did not see her on the phone with anyone.

I believe her parents are divorced or separated - so unlikely to be on the same call. I think her mother has alluded to knowing there were troubles on the trip. I don't think at any point one of her parents has come out and said "on the afternoon of Aug. 12th GP called and said she was in an altercation with BL and XYZ happened."

No doubt that LE has tons more information that has been released to the public.

I would suggest the more important thing is figuring out where GP might've been on Aug. 25th, 26th, 27th, etc.. and not parsing the fine details of this bodycam from the 12th or the technicalities of van ownership.

I can’t figure out how to quote from a previous thread but this is the timestamp when I saw it in the video and I commented this earlier:

• “At 48:19 was the officer indicating that she was on the phone with her parents? So perhaps they knew about this DV incident on 8/12 prior to the disappearance? I had assumed they found out when it all came out publicly. But maybe they did know in advance, and maybe his parents did, too. Unsure if that could play any role, but I somehow made myself believe that this was news to them, too, (of course the footage is new to everyone, but they could have known before that there was trouble in paradise). Still, GP’s mom indicated that she didn’t want people to take that event too seriously (I think from press conference, can’t find previous link in thread about GP mom downplaying that as just a simple argument when they got on each other’s nerves).”

The officer opened the door and she was on the phone (had it up to her ear, she put it down to talk to him), they asked her to “answer very carefully” about whether she had intended to harm him, then closed the door and he said something like “you can get back to your call with your parents” (paraphrasing). Unless I misheard this.

According to this newsweek article they had been dating since high school. So the families should have known eachother very well at that point Who is Brian Laundrie? Everything we know about Gabby Petito's fiancé after her disappearance

I can’t figure out how to quote from a previous thread but this is the timestamp when I saw it in the video and I commented this earlier:

• “At 48:19 was the officer indicating that she was on the phone with her parents? So perhaps they knew about this DV incident on 8/12 prior to the disappearance? I had assumed they found out when it all came out publicly. But maybe they did know in advance, and maybe his parents did, too. Unsure if that could play any role, but I somehow made myself believe that this was news to them, too, (of course the footage is new to everyone, but they could have known before that there was trouble in paradise). Still, GP’s mom indicated that she didn’t want people to take that event too seriously (I think from press conference, can’t find previous link in thread about GP mom downplaying that as just a simple argument when they got on each other’s nerves).”

The officer opened the door and she was on the phone (had it up to her ear, she put it down to talk to him), they asked her to “answer very carefully” about whether she had intended to harm him, then closed the door and he said something like “you can get back to your call with your parents” (paraphrasing). Unless I misheard this.

Yes. the officer did say he's let her get back to her parents when she was on the phone.

Last edited:
According to this newsweek article they had been dating since high school. So the families should have known eachother very well at that point Who is Brian Laundrie? Everything we know about Gabby Petito's fiancé after her disappearance
The article is a bit misleading. They haven’t been dating since high school. They went to high school together and reconnected again sometime later. They’ve only been dating 2-2.5 years now. Perhaps they dated in high school too, but it hasn’t been continuous since high school.

Some random unorganized thoughts...MOO

* It's a view into their dysfunction but I think we shouldn't read too much into the specifics of the he-said/she-said of the police encounter. Don't get lost in the trees. Focus on the forest. They had an openly and publicly volatile relationship to the point that complete strangers felt compelled to call 911 and involve the cops just days before she went missing. That's the main thing.

* I could be wrong, but I also think people are focusing too much on the Yosemite thing. It's a common mix-up. It doesn't mean the text couldn't have been sent by BL but the typo (if it exists) isn't an indication of anything in either direction.

* You have the right to remain silent. But the public and investigators have the right to question how someone could "hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful" (from his lawyer's first statement) while also refusing to even provide the time and/or date and/or location of their last interaction. Those are diametrically opposed. If you hoped for the search to be successful, you'd provide every piece of information possible.

* That six day visit home still bugs me. Was he actually in Florida? Was he plotting? Nobody spends $200 minimum on a flight and $500 for your girlfriend's hotel in Utah to clean out a storage unit instead of waiting the two months until your road trip ends. Hard to imagine the unit cost more than $700 for those two remaining months of their road trip. I assume (and hope) FBI/police have been putting together the timeline to the minute with cell data and CCTV. The police could be tapping his phone with a warrant.

* I still haven't seen anything that actually confirms BL is at his parents' house. That's where the media's camped out but we really don't know. The chief of police down there says they know where he is. Could they just be waiting for him to come out to arrest him to avoid any sort of confrontation? Hopefully he's not out of the country.

* They talk about "van life," which is generally used by people who live the lifestyle full-time. Were they planning on trying to make this a full-time arrangement or was the four month road trip going to be it? They spent some coin on the van and conversion (I assume) so it seems like a longer term investment.

The article is a bit misleading. They haven’t been dating since high school. They went to high school together and reconnected again sometime later. They’ve only been dating 2-2.5 years now. Perhaps they dated in high school too, but it hasn’t been continuous since high school.
so they have known eachother since high school been dating 2.5 years and she had lived with them for over a year? Point i am making here is that both parents should have known about a history of abuse and it doesn't seem to be coming up. Her parents seemed to have really liked him until this and they couldn't trust anything being said.

Kind of a tangent from the current path of discussion, but I find it interesting I’ve been reading a lot of people who were recently in Yellowstone say there is a very heavy Bear awareness right now — both Grizzlys and Black Bears being seen on trails and trails closed for bears, people told to hike in groups of 3+. Some people who have been to Yellowstone for years and never seen a bear there said they saw 6 bears on their trip in late August.
I've camped in Yellowstone and when I checked in, the Park Ranger was very persistent when she was talking about bears. "Only the person you are with in that tent of yours. No luggage, no perfume, cologne, no food, Leave all that in your truck, Just you two and your sleeping bags, period."

Lets ask Spotify if they took it down or someone else.

From my personal experiences…..unless those with the password and or family chose to take it down it stays up. I had a very dear friend pass in freak motorcycle accident 6 years ago. He was in his 20s but his parents shut down his FB and created a closed memorial group for him. His insta stayed up and is still untouched to this day. I imagine his parents don’t know about it. I thankful for that….it’s a nice snapshot in time/memorial for him.

Also, I’ll add specifically there is another pretty high profile case(I won’t name it) from just a few years back….and the now deceased victim’s Spotify is still online. So I’ll stick to either someone with the password took it down or the family did. I can’t imagine Spotify would do this on their own unless they had MASSIVE amounts of unwanted traffic/attention to it.

Last edited:
Something occurred to me, last thought tonight. The most gracious explanation I have to explain Brian’s silence:

He believes Gabby is alive, will re-emerge and is waiting to see how she will explain her absence, wanting to tailor his response to her version of events. While this is not too flattering to either of them (and seems improbable) if this scenario is true we all win.

I desperately hope she is alive and well.

edited to correct typo

Last edited:
Gabby Petito case: Timeline of 22-year-old woman's disappearance

9/16/21

Here’s a timeline of Gabby Petito’s disappearance:

June-July 2021
The couple embarks on their cross-country trip, first driving from Florida to New York and later to the West Coast and western national parks. They were traveling in Petito’s converted camper van, a white 2012 Ford Transit van with a Florida license plate, and documenting their journey on YouTube and other social media platforms.

July 2021
The couple posts regular updates about their journey to their Instagram accounts.

On July 10, Petito shared a photo of her at the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve is in southern Colorado.

On July 16, she shared another set of pictures of her at Zion National Park in southwest Utah. "The past two nights camping in Zion have been so cool, literally," she wrote in part.

On July 26, Petito shared another photo of her lounging in an outdoor bathtub at Mystic Hot Springs in Utah.

August 12
The pair gets into some type of altercation near Moab, Utah. A witness called police reporting a possible domestic violence situation between the two, prompting a response by area police.

[..]

That same day, Petito posts an Instagram showing images of her visit to Arches National Park, also in Moab, Utah.

"We decided to take the path less traveled on the other side of the arch," she wrote in part in the caption.

August 19
A video uploaded to YouTube on Aug. 19 titled "VAN LIFE | Beginning Our Van Life Journey" highlights the couple’s travels in their converted camper van. The 8-minute video, on their channel called "Nomadic Statik," shows the pair in various locations on the California coast, driving through the salt flats in Utah, tent camping and cooking meals in their converted camper van.

End of August
Petito’s regular contact with her family stops toward the end of August, according to police.

August 25
Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, speaks to her daughter for the last time on the phone. Petito said they had stopped in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming before a planned trip to Yellowstone.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt later FOX News. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

Petito’s final Instagram post is also published on Aug. 25, featuring several photos of her standing in front of a mural wall.

Sept. 1
Laundrie returns home alone to North Port, Florida with the van — 10 days before Petito was reported missing by her family, according to the North Port Police Department.

Sept. 11
Petito’s family reports the 22-year-old missing to the Suffolk County Police Department in New York at approximately 6:55 p.m. The North Port (Florida) Police Department has since become the lead agency in the case.

Laundrie declines to speak with investigators, who are instead provided with information for the family’s attorney. The couple’s converted camper van is also recovered by North Port police at the home shared by Petito, Laundrie and Laundrie’s parents, authorities said.

[..]

Sept. 13
Petito’s mother, Nicole Schmidt, and stepfather hold a tearful press conference begging for the public’s help in finding the 22-year-old.

[..]

Sept. 14
The Laundrie family shares a statement through their attorney:

[..]

The FBI also processes the converted camper van, according to North Port police.

Sept. 15
Brian Laundrie is named "person of interest" in the case. "As of now, Brian has not made himself available to be interviewed by investigators or has provided any helpful details," North Port police said in a statement.

Petito’s family releases a new statement through their lawyer:

[..]

Sept. 16
The body camera video from the couple’s encounter with Utah police is officially released. Laundrie’s attorney declines to comment in an email to FOX 13 News.

In a news conference, officials say the investigation remains a missing person case — and not a murder investigation — and that no intensive searches have begun because it's unclear exactly where authorities might look.

I’ll also say…just because the police thought she was on the phone with her parents doesn’t mean she was. Could’ve been that she called a friend instead. Or she could’ve had the phone up to her ear because she was trying to make a call and it was ringing (she did put the phone down quickly when the officer opened the door as if she wasn’t live on a call).

So I wouldn’t read much into that. Was just a casual observation.

Her mom specifically asked to look further into the details around her disappearance and not what happened 2 weeks earlier on 8/12 so I don’t think that detail matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500