Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. That's a reporter's comment about what happened. There is no direct quote from the witness.

Thanks for the clarification, way too much media in the case stating all the same thing
pretty much; not possible to read it all. Either way the cops did not see the initial event.

Didn’t the order happen when he had flown back to Florida for several days? If it did, she might not have had credit cards of her own and I doubt he would have left one with her.

jmo

We know about the Uber Eats pizza because HER FATHER told us that HE ordered a pizza for Gabby while she was in the SLC hotel and Brian was in Florida. He did it because her social media communications were down.

Moab footage..so sad.

GP starts by saying she's sorry...she's in such distress and in need of services during her interview, exhausted and emotionally fragile. She discloses her mental health isn't optimal.

Why does she want water and he doesn't...it's hot. he couldn't sit in the sun. he didn't take water because he 'doesn't like plastic'. But i actually do believe him . But, how does he not "think"she takes any medications after being together for so long? And she says she has ADHD.

But then it seems he is at a point where he has lost patience when he describes the physical encounter, and maybe he was pushed enough to just leave her. I just can't see him hurting her.

When he is speaking to LE, he consistently looks towards the SUV that she is sitting in.

This is a tough call for LE. Two stories, and LE has to try to decipher the truth. And BL did offer to go to jail for her. He's protective of her and the consequences of the citation. So did he leave her because of the no contact order?

I wished that LE offered to call the parents (though adults..they are still so young), like just say 'can i call your folks for you?? Maybe that could have changed things. Or had a psych evaluation at a hospital before they had her go to police station. So many speed bumps in this and missed moments.

Hopefully she is found, I hope she did not do anything rash when she was alone.

BL lawyered up i'm sure because he would be a mess sitting in a room with detectives.

If he had any interest in Gabby being found, he could offer a statement to LE, through his lawyer, of when and where he last saw her. That would be incomparably helpful to the searchers, without subjecting himself to the stress of awkward questions.

That he has not done this, in my opinion, means that he does not want her to be found, and I can only think of one reason for that.

MOO

Follow the latest updates on the case of missing Gabby Petito

A couple claims they saw missing YouTuber Gabby Petito’s van near Jenny lake in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. The couple said they saw the van on 25 August, narrowing the potential search area for investigators if they deem the tip credible. The couple did not see Ms Petito or her fiancé Brian Laundrie.

(snipped by carbuff)

Jenny Lake might be the most beautiful place in the world to camp. You're right beside the water looking at those magnificent mountains scraping the sky on the other side, with the whole valley spreading out around you and maybe an elk bugling in the hills behind you. It's not quite as spectacular as the more familiar view across Jackson Lake, but I've always liked it better.

Here's where the campground is. Google Maps

MAR 17
: IG Post- 1 yr anniversary
JUL 2: GP announced her engagement to BL

JUL 2
: Van Life Road Trip Began for Gabby Petito and BL - GP is the owner of the van
JUL 5: The couple stopped at Kansas' Monument Rocks
JUL 8: Their next stop was Colorado Springs
JUL 10: Petito updated her Instagram with photos of her walking at Grand Sand Dunes National Park
JUL 16: Petito’s smiling in a photo from the couple’s next stop at Zion National Park
JUL 20: Petito informed her Instagram followers that they were at Cedar Breaks
JUL 21: The next stop was Bryce Canyon National Park
JUL 26: Petito posted a photo relaxing in hot tub at Mystic Hot Springs
JUL 30: The couple stopped at Canyonlands National Park Mesa Arch
==================================
AUG 10
: JF met Gabby and BL near Moab, Utah where they chatted about 40 min. JF and his gf then set off on a hike to the Delicate Arch. When they got back to the parking lot, Gabby and Laundrie were gone.
AUG 12: The couple was at the organic store (Moonflower) from 9am to 3pm according to the police video - they were going to get water and showers - police report incident is at 4pm and the video is over an hour long of this incident. BL is taken to a hotel -Where does Gabby go for the night?

AUG 12
: The couple took a hike at Arches National Park - Knowing what we know now about the police incident - was there really a hike on the 12th? if so, when?
AUG 12 Moab, UT PD police incident report - no criminal charges,respond to an incident involving BL and Gabrielle Petito
AUG 12 Arches National Park - reservation only campsite (per PE) - Is this where Gabby stayed in her van/tent?

AUG 13
: BF posted an Instagram photo from their next destination in Moab
=============================
AUG 17: BL returns to Florida via airplane to move their things out of storage returns Aug 23

AUG 19: YouTube travel video posted
AUG 21: Gabbys dad orders Uber eats
AUG 21: Gabby told her Dad on FaceTime that they had lost power during a stop in Salt Lake City.
AUG 23: BL returns from Florida trip via airplane (Where was the van parked?)
AUG 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah
AUG 25: Petito’s family spoke to her for the last time over the phone and she said she was in Grand Teton National Park
Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.
AUG 25 - Couple spots van at 5pm at Jenny Lake - alerts LE 9/17 they saw it (this is new information for the timeline)
AUG 27
- Gabby's uncle posts there was a snapchat Gabby sent a friend -heading to Yellowstone (in Dailymail article)
AUG 27 & 30: text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
After August 30th, Gabby’s parents weren’t able to get in contact with Gabby or her fiance. Her fiance’s mother also was not responding to any phone calls.”
AUG 30: Text from Gabby to Mom - No service in Yosemite
August 31: A new list titled “Self-Consumption” appeared on the couple’s Spotify
SEP 1: BL returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with the investigation
SEP 10:: Gabby’s mother texted Brian and his mother, Roberta, trying to get in touch with Gabby, but neither replied The family alerted the National Park Service.
SEP 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
Sep 11: Van seized at the home of BL parents in NorthPort FL - FBI
Sep 14: BL family lawyer issues statement
Sept 15: NorthPort police names BL as Person of Interest
Sept 15: Gabby's family issues another statement
Sep 15- Northport police chief asks BL lawyer to assist in finding Gabby
Sep 17 - FBI takes over search in WY (GTNP =Grand Teton National Park)

Note:
September 1: POI BL is in Florida (we don't yet know when he left with her van to drive home to his parents house where he remains)

4 songs were added to the playlist "Mtn tops," on an account Gabby Petito appears to share with her boyfriend Brian Laundrie: Many of the songs, collected on an account she appeared to share with her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, focus on love and heartache.
"Your woman is your angel, is your left side, is your whole life; easily the most beautiful thing in the world," one song, Matt Berry’s "Woman," begins. "She'll soothe you; she'll accuse you; she'll confuse you; she'll lose you but always be the best friend you have in the world."

Another song, "Take My Hand," is about picking up a stranger at a bar. "The Badger’s Wake" is about a badger decomposing underground.

Mother of missing Gabby Petito says boyfriend and his family IGNORED her desperate texts | Daily Mail Online

Missing woman's haunting songs on Spotify account may provide answers

WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*
Should we add the Snapchat to the friend and missed birthday call?

And concerning… Honestly, it sounds like something my narcissist ex would have said on this situation. He was aleays trying to save face… his face.

He told people so much crap about me and had them convinced it was true. I lost so many friends after we broke up. He even tried to turn my own BFF against me but she had already heard my side of the story before he gave his spiel but she said it was very convincing.

And he also got super ugly and vicious towards me after I broke up with him, threatening towards me, called me horrible vile names, acted erratic… I was legit afraid he was going to show up with a gun outside my college or work, and his own best friend agreed with me when I expressed my concerns to him (mutual friend).

I can’t stop thinking Gabby may have tried breaking up with him and he snapped… Thankfully I broke up with my ex on the phone as I had an inkling it wasn’t going to go well.

Yeah. People criticize others for not having the guts to break up with someone in person. Never ever break up with someone in person. You never know how someone will react. I drilled that into my children's heads.

You have to remember survival instinct kicks in. If an individual is hypothetically an abuser….knows what they are doing is wrong. They just don’t care. It’s get that phony charming mask on and quick or end up in jail on a domestic violence charge. I don’t know the laws out there but I do know in Cali if a domestic violence 911 call goes out…..someone always goes to jail(very strict laws there). If not both parties(depending on the situation). Also if he truly is an abuser. I suspect this isn’t the first time there has been a knock out-drag out and he has to put that charming mask out in 2.5 secs flat to prevent others from getting involved/or LE. Abusers have an amazing ability to do whatever it takes in no time to continue the behavior.

Well, according to the officer, she was the one who would have gone to jail in this instance. Laundrie offered to go in her stead. I know, I know, just his diabolical way of controlling the situation.

I don't know anything about the amazing ability abusers have. I only know what's in front of my eyes.

one of the things i keep seeing is people saying he cops should have arrested her that day and she would still be ok now, i dont understand why they even think that way, idt was just a misdemeanor, she would have gotten out the next day and they would have continued on their journey, this stop happened 2 weeks before her Mother last facetimed her so i dont see where it would have stopped anything

My theory, which has changed since seeing the body cam is that they fought and she accidentally fell. The report says she is the "aggressor" however, I knew girls like that. They are all arms flaying and drama when they're upset. They "strike out" and "girl hit." You also have to take into consideration the age of these two. They are "babies." Their brains dont think properly and if you're panicked, you do not behave rationally. You do stupid things, like RUN. Especially if you have recently had a DV stop. No one is going to believe she just fell off a cliff. You cant say you pushed her. Even if you didn't push her and she accidentally fell. You call your parents and you drive home and your parents get you an attorney because you didn't mean to do it or it is a tragic accident. BUT what you dont do in either of these scenarios is send a fake text on 8/30. Which is also why I ask the question could the text have been from Gabby and sent earlier than 8/30 but only received by her mom on that day due to a signal delay?

If she had <modnsip>, suicide, attacked by a bear, left of her own free will...whatever...he would come clean. What's the one thing that would make a person not talk? Guilt.

If she was dead by other means, he would naturally come clean.

But if she left on her own free will, how can he say anything that does not make him look guilty?

She refused to let him go for a walk alone, then cuts him loose, that is going to look bad.

He drove off leaving his girlfriend alone in the wilderness?

Anything he says to the police will only be used against him. Nothing he says can help him. And if they separated by free will, it would be on him to prove it, and that is impossible.

Police know where the phones were used last, if he used the phone to fake a text on the 31st, he did it from florida. If he did it from florida, he would be arrested right now.

Another headscratcher from the bodycam footage;

Gabby tells the officer they were having a "rough morning" and that they have been "fighting all morning."
Brian tells the officer "We had a really nice morning."
Still, Brian eludes to the fact they were planning to still do a hike/Arches before sundown. This is eluded to twice.

JMO but could have been the real reason for the fight....they weren't doing what he wanted to do.... he wanted to be hiking

I confess to struggling to decide whether he's an abuser or a fairly quiet young man, who is nowhere near as chatty and able to chat to strangers as Gabby and who wanted to travel as an escape from the ultra fast, commercial, climate destroying world, basically to live off grid.

When he finally realised that his fiancée had entirely the opposite planned and instead of never seeing a living soul, she needed wi fi and perfect photo opportunities and to become a travel blogging influencer which is the absolute antithesis of what he wanted.

Both were tired, out in the sun way too much and they'd spent 6 hours in a coffee shop just before that argument. He was like a caged lion and starting to unravel. He needed space, which at home would have been fine, but in the middle of nowhere, Gabby was petrified of being left, so she clung onto him even tighter.

Gabby seems so, so young and I don't think he's experienced much of life either. Neither knew how to deal with everything and both would have suddenly felt so exposed and out of their depth.

I'm not excusing what happened consequently. I'm not taking this to that point. I'm stopping at the argument. He could be a monster, or he could have been worn out, stressed and just struggling to cope. Basically he stopped being the strong one and that scared both of them.

If all of this is the case, he should have driven that van (since he always seemed to be driving it) to the nearest airport, and gotten on the first plane back to Florida, leaving her with HER van, and HER version of the trip. What did he do? Commandeered HER van, leaving her wherever, and if still alive, with no money or any way of getting home. Let’s suppose she is still alive-now we know she has no cell phone, or she would have called someone. Even if he left her with her phone, and no charger, she could borrow one unless he left her in the woods or desert somewhere. She may have been the aggressor, but he definitely had the means to escape her without killing her.

My post was to remind all of us that BL got away without even a slap on the wrist for actions which sometimes cost the lives of young men in other neighborhoods. Driving away from the police at high speed, reckless driving. If not a threat to the life of the driver, at the least speeding away from cops would be a major offense throughout the USA. For all the cops knew from the 911 report she could have been a hostage whose life was in danger.

She never would have charged him with stealing her possessions, as he had by then, IMO, thoroughly cowed her into thinking she was mean and crazy, even telling the cops She is Crazy.

Was her "clawing" (a term reserved for a "manic woman", it seems) her way into her own vehicle at her terror of being dumped alone without her possessions worse than his deliberately putting her in that position? It was her car, but he drove it, thus deciding if, when, where, and how long they would stop. (Why is this my opinion? Been there, done that). She tried to get him to quit breaking the law in her car, tried to get him to stop evading the police and driving at raging speeds, yet somehow they had a responsibility to arrest HER?

For the record, I understood your point. However, you used statutory language to demonstrate his actions were somehow criminal...I'm simply pointing out that they weren't, at least in the case of the larceny.

As for the supposed reckless driving, that is determined by the totality of the circumstances on a case-by-case basis. LE likely factored in that the circumstances (i.e. a driver being assaulted by a passenger) contributed to his rate of speed and his inability to avoid the curb.

LE also looked at the totality of the circumstances in the case of her assault upon him, determined that justice would best be served by allowing the couple so separate and cool down, rather than arrest anyone. Assault (defined by Black's Law Dictionary) is “any willful attempt or threat to inflict injury upon the person of another, when coupled with an apparent present ability to do so, and any intentional display of force such as would give the victim reason to fear or expect immediate bodily harm.” GP stated she didn't intend to hurt BL (which is very questionable; why else do you slap someone?) and thus LE cut her a break and set her on her way.

In the circumstances, I feel the police did a pretty good job of de-escalating a bad situation in a manner least detrimental to both BL and GP. IMO, the inflammatory rhetoric, in both ways, is antithetical to the goal; to bring her home safely.

ETA: changed initials from JL to BL

Last edited:
When my DILwas arrested for beating my son (with an object). He said it’s not her fault it was all my fault. The cops said your the one that’s injured and bleeding. And she was arrested
They could have arrested Gabby. She would go to jail get a mug shot abs a court date. They could hold her for some time. Abd she could have spent time in Jail! They were both lucky it could have been much worse!

I think they were fighting in the van as the argument escalated so did their speed abs she maybe pulled on his arm arm abd made the van swerve!
Her going to jail would be much worse than what? She did not return home.

Thanks for the clarification, way too much media in the case stating all the same thing
pretty much; not possible to read it all. Either way the cops did not see the initial event.

Of course, the cops didn't see the initial event - but there was a witness that did. And the account he gave to the police matched what Gabby told the police. She slapped him repeatedly. He held her back by putting his hand in front of her face. He suggested that they both take a walk to cool down. She followed him. He got into the van to get away from her. She dove in through the driver's side door and crawled over him to get to the passenger seat. At one point, she started hitting him with her phone. She said it was all because of her anxiety that he was going to leave her there - and I believe her.

Phew this thread moves FAST!

It may have been mentioned but there are definitely discrepancies between the police report and the actual body cam footage.

BL says GP was punching him in the arm while he was driving. GP denies that and I believe her. I believe he was "piling on" once he realized HE wasn't the one in trouble. His demeanor, in my opinion, is extremely odd given the circumstances of the day. He's smiling (oddly) and at several points laughing and trying to be "chums" with the officers. It's beyond being polite or nervous. GP also is not "hysterical" the entire time. She seems pretty composed particularly under the circumstances. This looks like gaslighting to me.

It's very odd to me that GP did not call her parents. Even if she didn't want to tell them she was upset or what happened. They seem like a close family. She would want to hear a familiar and loving voice amidst the chaos of what she was living.

Also, it is 100% possible for a larger person to restrain a smaller person and for the smaller person to lash out and leave marks on the larger person restraining them. The smaller person would have no marks. Not saying BL had restrained GP but he certainly was trying to prevent her from entering the van which is not OK. She was frantic trying to get in. He portrays this to LE that he was trying to deescalate the situation by "walking away" but he DIDN'T walk away. He was going to DRIVE away and leave GP with no transportation or even any of her belongings. I do not see this as him being the better or more level headed person. I see this as him actually ESCALATING the situation and hurting GP as much as possible by deserting her. It is also extremely controlling.

Lastly, GP clearly indicated that BL DID put his hands on her. He grabbed her face and held her head.

Volatile relationship for sure. BL, in my opinion, is not level headed or the nice, friendly, jovial fellow he attempts to portray with LE. He has ZERO remorse for any of his actions. He says "sorry" about speeding. And for what it's worth the speeding and hitting the curb was the reason for the pull over, right? Yet, none of that was addressed or cited by LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000