Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite all the SM chatter, I haven't suspected the Schulte/Turner murders were actually connected to Gabby's disappearance and BL's hiding. However, after mulling over the statement made by BL's attorney... I'm now entertaining a possibility these could be connected. Weird.

I was just thinking a sighting of the van at Jenny Lake, but not a sighting of BL or GP? Let's hope more people come forward. Unless I missed it and they have?

I would still probably be giving him the benefit of the doubt even with this deafening silence from him, but he has made a big mistake which, imo, implicates him, by impersonating her in a message to her parents which her mother is sure wasn't her.

I wish I could give him the benefit of the doubt and I’m not being disingenuous in saying that. I really do wish I could. But quite frankly I find his behavior absolutely appalling and disgusting. If I was his age(and I’m not that much older). I couldn’t stay silent. I’d either be out there looking for her or I’d just explain what happened and let the cards fall where they may. Simply because I care for other human beings around me(especially if it was someone I was once romantically involved with) and I couldn’t live with myself….knowing I knew what happened(even if I didn’t do it/it was accidental/even if it was connected to the other two women) and that the family was hoping, yearning, waiting just for any sign of life….of hope. I couldn’t do what he’s doing. I get self preservation….but I couldn’t live with myself.

The fact that GP calls her mom/parents DURING the time she's sitting in the squad car, while they are both being questioned by police, tells me she will reach out to them during a very stressful, even dangerous time in her life. This also leads me to believe, if she could, she would have called them when she was permanently separated from her van, her life line, on the road.

This young woman is not going to be stranded and not call home or find a way to. Her dad had a pizza delivered to her as a nice gesture because her service was shotty not long before she went missing (IIRC). She talks to her parents, maybe not about every single detail in her life, but she does when things aren't great. I've not been left with any impression that her parents would have been disappointed in her relationship ending with that dude, what's his name, the one hunkered down in his parents house not speaking or her dream trip or social media travel idea coming to end. I just don't see her hiding from or blowing off her family over any of this.

This all leaves me feeling not good at all about why she's not in communication. Hoping for a miracle here.

I have asked every SAR group I personally know to post her info and for others to spread the word in the various hiking communities. Hoping more folks might have saw him or her or them together at some point (trail, parking lot, pull off, public bathroom, etc.). Anything to add to the timeline. IMO

I saw her in the back of the cruiser, and I saw her holding her phone - but I didn't see any evidence that she was talking to her parents, other than the officer who said she could.

I just assumed she had it on speaker phone on her lap?

Gaby admits she has bad OCD-Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Brian not putting things in their proper place was upsetting her.

Snipped for focus. Lots of people say they have OCD, but they don't really have that diagnosis. It's just how they describe being a neat and organized person and being very bothered by messes. I don't think Gabby's family has mentioned whether she actually had that diagnosis or not, right? Just wanted to point this out. She may actually be diagnosed OCD, or it may just be how she self-deprecatingly describes her quirks, or it may be how BL belittles her neatness if he is a messy person. Just don't want us to take the OCD as fact, in case she is using it as a way of speaking rather than an actually personality disorder that she's been diagnosed with.

Unrelated, but the scratches, and the way the police and journalists automatically assumed they meant GP was the aggressor (not to mention the way BL quickly showed them off) are bothering me.

Seminal domestic violence scholar Michael P. Johnson described the different kinds of violence involved in relationships. Although popular culture usually regards physical violence as the worst, most unforgivable kind, Johnson differentiated what he calls "intimate partner terrorism" and another excellent DV scholar, Evan Stark, calls "coercive control" as by far the most dangerous and most likely to lead to fatality.

Johnson also describes the following 2 types of violence that I feel may be a factor here:

2.1.2. Violent resistance
Many victims of intimate terrorism do respond with violence of their own. For some, this is an instinctive reaction to being attacked, and it happens at the first blow—almost without thought. For others, it doesn't happen until it seems that the assaults will continue forever if something isn't done to stop them. For most women in heterosexual relationships, the size difference between them and their male partner ensures that violent resistance won't help, and may make things worse, so they turn to other means of coping. For a few, eventually it seems that the only way out is to kill their partner.

2.1.3. Situational couple violence
This is violence that is not part of a general pattern of coercive control, but rather occurs when couple conflicts become arguments that turn to aggression that becomes violent. It is by far the most common form of intimate partner violence, and also the most variable. Somewhere around 40% of the cases identified in general surveys involve only one relatively minor incident, but many cases do involve chronic and/or serious, even life-threatening, violence. In contrast to intimate terrorism, situational couple violence does not involve an attempt on the part of one partner to gain general control over the other, and unlike intimate terrorism and violent resistance it is roughly gender-symmetric in terms of perpetration. The violence is situationally-provoked, as the tensions or emotions of a particular encounter lead one or both of the partners to resort to violence.

Gender and types of intimate partner violence: A response to an anti-feminist literature review - ScienceDirect

When people are completely powerless in a situation, it is not at all uncommon for them to use minor violence such as scratching and slapping. I'm not saying it's right, only that it's frequent for that minor violence to be twisted by perpetrators and systems to frame the primary aggressor as the "real victim" and the victim as the perpetrator. I cannot tell you how frequently I see this in the real world. In fact, here in Colorado, we had a state rep whose female family member was taken to jail for DV because her partner had scratches on him and she appeared to have no wounds. Her politically powerful relative advocated for her to be taken to the hospital and medically examined. (A person who wasn't related to a state rep would have never succeeded in this request, but fortunately, it was granted.) At the hospital, damage to her throat indicative of strangulation was discovered. It was proven that her partner had strangled her (strangulation is the form of DV most predictive of lethality according to the research: Prevalence of strangulation in survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence - ScienceDirect ) and the scratches were defensive wounds from her fighting for her life. Yet she was deemed the abuser and taken to jail.

Obviously there's a lot we don't know yet, but I see dynamics I recognize from years of work and study in the DV field--and let's recognize only one party is up and vanished with a high likelihood of being dead, and it's not BL.

In a situation such as that, the officers are going to keep them apart and not allow them near each other. They want to talk to each person separately to try and determine what happened and who was the aggressor and who wasn't.
Distance between two points, he should have been closer to her in his response, etc, meaning they had just been fighting. She was distraught, he was not just controlled, but had the wherewithal to joke around, etc. Distance was not meant as literal physical distance in my response. Agree with LE/PR separating them. Disagree with their take on the situation both on cam and in report. JMO.

Those of us who take road trips tend to not take well-traveled roads.
Additionally, I drove recently from Yellowstone through Jackson to SL and there is a LOT of construction in and around Jackson. I wouldnt be surprised if a GPS mapping app would redirect in all sorts of weird ways.

I would still probably be giving him the benefit of the doubt even with this deafening silence from him, but he has made a big mistake which, imo, implicates him, by impersonating her in a message to her parents which her mother is sure wasn't her.

Here's the thing........we don't know who sent the message. It could have been GP, BL or someone else. We know what the odds are, but it hasn't been confirmed.

First time posting here... I'm not entirely caught up with the thread, but just wanted to say that I, like many of the other women here, have survived abusive partners. We've had guys hit us, grab us, verbally provoke us to the point of emotional breakdown or outburst, drive at unsafe speeds with us as passenger, and I personally have had a guy leave me on the side of the road to scare me that I was abandoned in the middle of somewhere very unsafe and then circle back to get me after I had been thoroughly unhinged by being left. Abuse comes in many forms, from subtle to gross, and it doesn't always look the way you think. Those who are suggesting some of us are projecting past experiences onto BL's behavior may need to actually listen a bit more carefully to those of us who have survived relationships with men who are capable of terrible things. We see things you don't because our experiences have created a heightened awareness of certain behaviors that raise huge red flags. BL's behavior raises a whole lot of red flags. It is plain as day to many of us. Those of us who are here commenting are the lucky ones because we lived to see another day. GP may not be so lucky to be able to tell her story one day, and there is one person who knows what happened, and he is showing a pathological lack of empathy by remaining silent. Look how much pain his silence is causing GP's loved ones, that in itself is abuse, it doesn't matter if it is his constitutional right, it is inhumane and unconscionable.

Does the West Yellowstone entrance have a camera or guard post or anything?

RSBM

When the couple interacted with law enforcement on August 13, BL told the officer that neither of them took medication for their conditions.

Gabby Petito mystery deepens after Utah police release bodycam footage[

Yes, Thank you! I heard Brian say that but perhaps he did not want the police to know that, thinking it would cause more problems or they stopped taking them, making that statement true?

I guess, for me, I cannot explain their behavior any other way. They had been together two years and no one saw behavior that would lead to murder. I know looks can be deceiving by their photos, but people who interacted with them everyday have stated this. Many here have referred to B as a horrific, manipulating abuser.......Really?

thank you for replying but can you please elaborate on previous road trip?

I thought it was on this current road trip. The published this video on Aug 19th after the police encounter on Aug 12th.

How correct is this time line on Gabby Petito Search: Timeline Of Road Trip With Fiance Brian Laundrie, Notable Dates And Events

The speed at which the thread pages are moving, someone might already have answered you but the video uploaded on August 19th starts with a long montage of clips from both their 2020 road trip in the car and the 2021 van journey.

I think that most people that travel to Jackson don't go that way. I have once over twenty years ago. But it is long and slow, traveling on one lane highways through small towns. The way that I travel there is to drive to Idaho Falls and then exit the highway towards Rexburg and then head east to Driggs from Rexburg. There is a mountain pass you can drive that takes you to Jackson with passing lanes and a pullout at the top of the pass where have a great view of the valley below. I would say that more people go that way then the route you have. Unless you know that is the way they went.
I just punched the locations into Google Maps and let them figure out the fastest route, so those may definitely be off.

I just find this whole ordering food thing interesting. For a woman who is, on the one hand, an aspiring YT'er/VanLifer living the utmost of independent lives yet on the other hand, getting food ordered by her dad thousands of miles away .... I can only imagine - and this is totally MO - that there is a huge conflict with her. She wants the independent adult life, yet has many fears about it. Bless her heart, she must have been really struggling lately.
Weird or not--food is needed--I find strange no details by Dad about that day/week in hotel ---I fid it strange Bio Dad moved to be close (I'll just uproot my life to be close to 21 yr old daughter??? why?)--I find it odd no comments about why it took so long to report missing ( can't buy no cell phone reception story)---especially with daily contact by family members prior---but as long as L.E. has these details I am good with it. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member