Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s telling/important to remember that it was the attorney who contacted the police to report him missing. Clearly he was concerned about something enough that he contacted them.
My suspicion is that the attorney smelled something off about where the parents were saying he was and decided that - friend or not - he didn't want anything to do with the "aiding and abetting" that he suspected was going on.

Maybe he'd been told that BL was at the house with them (FaceTiming on a different screen in a different room?) but then suddenly couldn't be produced and the parents' excuses started sounding flimsy. (And for that matter, did they purposely choose an out-of-state attorney to help hide where exactly BL was? Since someone local would probably have wanted to meet with him in person?)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if BL hadn't been in FL all month (Did he ask his parents to fly out and drive the van home?), or had only been there until the 10th or 11th when this started blowing up.

Yes, I thought it strange for someone his age to use the phrase, "criss-cross applesauce," when referring to sitting down.

When I was a child it's what teachers used to call sitting "Indian style" with legs crossed in front.

I think Brian may be socially awkward as well as anti-social. Maybe he uses popular phrases instead of using his own words often, if that makes sense. He also tends to be repetitive and evasive, like when he was trying to answer the question officers asked
about grabbing Gabby's face. I still think was not telling the whole truth about what happened.

Hopefully these things, as well as his nervous laughter and demeanor, will help anybody who comes into contact with him, identify him. If police find Brian, they may be able to get some answers out of him.

He can't stay in hiding forever.

My kids (ages 16 and 20) have never been taught the term "Indian style" and have only ever known it to be called "criss cross applesauce." The former term is considered by many to have racist undertones and therefore it is not widely used in school anymore (if at all...I don't know anyone in my kids' generation who would use it and they would cringe if they heard someone else use it.) As an aside, I was at the gym the other day and during our stretching session the instructor told us to sit down criss-cross applesauce.

IMO MOO

My scenario and opinion only...
BL’s parent’s may have encouraged their son to leave. They may have helped him leave. At the very least, they knew he left on Tuesday.
On Friday, they realized that the handgun they kept in their house was missing, and thought there was a chance he might kill himself or a situation might arise where he would be killed so they called their lawyer who called the police.
I think they called the police because they were suddenly concerned about their son’s welfare, not because they care where GP is.
I initially thought BL was already in South America somewhere. If he took a gun I doubt that now.
Wow, I didn't realize there was a gun missing from the home. Have LE confirmed the parents told them that?

Or is that just part of your scenario and you are assuming they own a gun?

The boyfriend has gone on the run for one of three reasons imo.

1. He hurt her and is on the run knowing sooner or later he'll be arrested. Maybe something that was revealed the past day has spooked him?
2. Similar to above but he plans on taking the cowards way out and take his own life as to not face police and possible imprisonment.
3. He feels guilty for potentially leaving Gabby alone and driving himself home so he decides to go where he last saw her in an attempt to find her.

I think Brian went in to hiding because he knows Gabby will eventually be found. Maybe LE are indeed getting closer to finding her and/or figuring out what happened. If he killed her and left her somewhere that he was confident would never be discovered then he would have just kept doing what he was doing. Or if he thought she was still alive somewhere then he wouldn’t have had the motivation to run. I think he knows she is deceased, he knows she will be found, and he knows he will no longer be a POI but the suspect.

I have been in Yellowstone and the Tetons each of the last 3 years. Most of the park does not have cell service (at least att or tmobile). What cell service there is, works better with voice than data, including SMS messages.

I also noted that the date would not be possible. However, I am curious if she may have sent it while not having a connection, and the Aug 30 is when the phone was connected to a cell tower again.

It could be that it was sent by BL to cover tracks, or GP's phone was in contact again with her message buffered (possibly when BL left for Florida). Not only does Yellowstone have no service, depending on the route, there could be little service for some time in Wyoming.

I would need to get to a no service area to check the effect for sure.

I do not think texts continue to try to send after they are undelivered. When I don’t have service, texts I try to send have a little red exclamation point next to them saying undelivered, and I have to manually press “retry” to resend the text. I don’t think the phone would send it automatically upon reaching service.

I AM NOT DISCOUNTING THE BELOW TIMELINE:

This timeline *could* be possible *if the tiktok hitchiker story turns out to be true and accurate* —
  • Aug 29- GP was supposed to call friend (Rose) to plan meetup in yellowstone but never called. It was also Rose’s birthday, & she never wished her a happy bday.
>>if she were alone in the van “working on her social media” on 8/29 per the tiktok hitchhiker story, wouldn’t she have called her best friend?​

>> likely GP was already without her phone, incapacitated (or dead) at this time​

>> likely BL was returning from doing something with her body, she wasn’t with the van​

>> hitchiker dropped BL around 6pm on 8/29 in GTNP​
  • BL could have returned to the van to clean up and and concoct a story. (Or, he could have been spooked by witnesses/webcams and decided to hike back to the car which took much longer than hitchhiking).
  • He could have stayed overnight, gone to yellowstone in the early morning and texted that from her phone in yellowstone, before turning it off or ditching it in a lake or off a cliff (if he were smart enough and had enough time to plan to think through the cell phone ping)
  • (He would’ve accidentally typed yosemite but that is irrelevant)
  • We don’t know what time her mother received the text. Could be early morning on 8/30 pacific time and her mom got the text 3hrs later in her eastern time zone.
  • Then, he leaves and drives all day 8/30 and 8/31 and into 9/1 when he arrives in FL.
  • 2.5 days driving even if he left yellowstone morning of 8/30
  • With that type of adrenaline, maybe some sort of mania, he could have driven 18hrs day 1, 12hrs day 2, 4 hrs day 3.
  • It’s not unbelievable to drive that much under that much stress and adrenaline. He could have had to stop for energy drinks, but maybe not; possible he was prescribed an amphetamine for ADHD (UNKNOWN, MOO) that could have given him that energy. OR THE ENERGY COULD BE VERY WELL BE NATURAL. (Please don’t get hung up on that medication note, there is no evidence of medication, but just to make a point that the drive time from 8/30-9/1 is believable in different ways).
  • He would have needed to stop for gas, unless they had extra gas tanks in their car already for emergencies (which is possible since they’ve been traveling for so long in remote locations, see drone footage, wouldn’t be surprised if they planned ahead for that.)
I had been saying that the 8/30 text ping will make or break the case if it was sent on his way to FL.

But if he had thought through that ahead of time, it is still possible that it was sent from a “believable” location on 8/30, while still not being from her. Especially since he may be confirmed to be in the area on the night of 8/29 per the tiktok.

Last edited:
There's questions I have about that TicTok couple who gave BL a ride. I can't seem to make sense of it. They said they picked him up at Colter Bay (which is a little northwest of Grand Teton) and that he wanted to go to "Jackson" (which is kind of south east of Grand Teton. When he found out they were going to Jackson Hole, they say he got agitated and wanted to get out of the car. So they dropped him off at Jackson Dam (which is mostly east of Grand Teton. What I don't understand is a) why it mattered much whether they were going to Jackson or Jackson Hole. Jackson is a little further south from Jackson Hole but you'd pretty much have to go through Jackson Hole to get there from Colter Bay or Jackson Dam. So, why get out at Jackson Dam.

Jackson Hole is covered by dozens of webcams that are well-known and popular enough to be watched 24/7 on Youtube by people all over the world. He could well have known this if he was looking to avoid being seen too much.

She wasn't hiding the fact that it was strange. She pointed out in the TikToks that Jackson Hole and Jackson are used interchangeably so they didn't understand why he freaked out when told Jackson Hole the second time. People here speculated that maybe he had the van parked near the dam and he just needed an excuse to get out of the van there.

I don't think the TikTok witness is lying but it's still very unclear whether it was him or mistaken identity.
No doubt they've already processed her Jeep for his fingerprints and/or anything possibly DNA related. They've likely reviewed any nearby traffic cameras too. That would verify his identity and location where they picked him up. The story he gave probably had some truth to it. Maybe his anxiety / nervousness kicked in when he realized where the van was, in relation to where they were headed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz