Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tha
I agree that Moab LE doesn't have the responsibility of Gabby's death. Not at all.
I also think it should be a learning example. There were things clearly missed for one, Gabby's claims of injury were COMPLETELY dismissed and a time line for when they occurred was never even close to being established. One officer decided to pin it on Gabby and they just went with that.

Also, it's a prime example of why we need more training. The entire hour long video is a screaming example of reactive abuse for anyone that is trauma / victim informed. (see image for information on reactive abuse) AND even if police had recognized the reactive abuse and given GP support and resources - she still very likely would have continued on with BL.
Abuse cycles are addictive and breaking out isn't easy.
Thank you for sharing that. For women to recognize their personal strengths and weaknesses and choose their partner(s) well, it helps to have a period of independent life when a young adult, I think.

Another murder case I am following on here is of a woman who was 49 and asked herself as she was planning to leave her 25+ year marriage, "What was the young me thinking?"

I mention this not to victim blame but to encourage all women (and men to) not to ignore red flags like controlling behavior.

JMHO

I wonder if he killed her somewhere else and dumped her body there due to the way the van was parked. That isn’t the way boondockers camp at all in my experience. You don’t want to drag your gear that far from the vehicle and there were many other options in the area if camping was the intention. JMO

I thought the same. However, if you watch the families video that captured the location. They make a statement about every camp spot being full.

GB van was small enough to park in the location of road if everything was full.

This is the tent adjacent to the area where Gabby was found that people were asking about. It does not appear to be a typical crime scene tent and notice the figure 8 of crime scene tape adjacent to this tent. I was trying to figure out if this was Gabby's tent. You can see the associated video in its entirety here - Gabby was very close. And you can see the crime scene tent as well. Log In or Sign Up to View

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 8.57.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 8.57.38 PM.png
    426.7 KB · Views: 247
I checked the GTNP map and it looked to me the eastern boundary was east of the old dam area of Spread Creek, so the apparent burial site was within GTNP
It's clearly near the line and now I'm not sure on which side. The park/forest boundary there is an east/west line that Spread Creek Road appears to cross at least once.

I wonder if anything will hinge on whether the location where she was killed is possibly a different jurisdiction than the location where she was found! Fortunately it's fed land either way, but different agencies (NPS is Dept of Interior, National Forests are under Dept of Agriculture).

The one & only time I ever called LE for DV, the cop who came told me if he had to return, he would arrest both of us.

That was a threat. *My* life was being threatened, yet I'd somehow end up behind bars for using the phone again to save it?

Both people get arrested? Well, that's not great for the real victim. Especially if the primary aggressor is trying to hide it and downplay it all.

Potentially arresting someone who is being abused because you can't find the primary aggressor is a weird rule and quite wrong, in my opinion.

It would have been relatively easy for either his mom or dad to go make a reservation earlier in the week when media coverage wasn’t so heavy (they did come and go a bit) then bring the key card back to him and send him on his way. Take him a few snackies here and there. Their faces aren’t the ones plastered all over the media. All BL had to do was get there and stay there.

I'm sure there are, but with the intense search effort and media coverage, I can't fathom he could be in a hotel room.

I hope he's not in the woods though, as I want him to be apprehended alive.

I opened my laptop after getting home from work, and my heart sank again when I saw that my last tab open was still titled "active search". This reminds me of the day Hannah Graham was found - you know the reality of the situation, but that 1% of you still holds out hope. I'm heartsick for the Petitos.

I do too. A reporter Tweeted earlier that she was warned her car would be towed by the FBI, if she remained parked in front of the house.

The FBI wasn't on scene at that point, but it's pretty apparent to me that they are coming.

Agreed and I don't think they're going to be as polite as they were when the 4 people were there previously.

My suspicion is there will be a different theme this time around

BBM.

No, I don't think the police caught that either. It totally went over their heads.
He said he was trying to get away from her to put distance between them and get space. From what I remember, they fought over a phone but I don’t think either of them said he was trying to keep her phone…or that it was even her phone they were fighting over.

To the user who asked about the slowness of this site — IT’S DEF NOT JUST YOU (which is super frustrating because if I have to deal with the annoying pop-up videos that massively drain my battery and can’t seem to get rid of no matter how many *********** I install on my phone, I should not also be dealing with a non-responsive server. BUT… I understand this case is generating a much higher than normal traffic load, so I guess I can let it go this time. ;)

PS. I’ve been following along with the threads in this case as best as any reasonable non-robot could be expected to (considering the rate of discussion and the lagging server), but things have been moving too fast for me to add anything meaningful.
You may already know this but what I do to get rid of the annoying videos is ( I’m on an IPad).. I go to Settings., Safari., Advanced., and I disable or turn off JavaScript. Helps a lot.
Only downside is you can’t tag another member and if you Like a post it adds another step ( annoying!) and of course if someone shares a video clip it won’t play. I toggle it off and on,
JMO

I notice a lot of people are querying why the Laundries didn't report Brian missing until Friday. Could it be possible that they found a gun missing on Friday? I recall people saying something earlier about him taking a gun. Or was that just speculation?

I am trusting there will be severe legal consequences for their behaviour. I'm not sure where this would get charged, as their obstruction occurred in FL. I think GP's parents have every reason to file a civil suit against BL and his parents enough to permanently remove any thought of a nice retirement they might have had. I guess under FL law you can't seize a domicile in a civil suit, but they can go deep after everything else.
Aiding and abetting a criminal -- they supplied the "getaway" car and, IIANM, knew where he was headed; possibly accessories after the fact, as I posted earlier -- but, but, but he had not been arrested at the time, and has not been arrested yet. I am hoping they charge him also with GTA -- he took her car.
IANAL.

Last edited:
This is the tent adjacent to the area where Gabby was found that people were asking about. It does not appear to be a typical crime scene tent and notice the figure 8 of crime scene tape adjacent to this tent. I was trying to figure out if this was Gabby's tent. You can see the associated video in its entirety here - Gabby was very close. And you can see the crime scene tent as well. Log In or Sign Up to View

IMO, Gabby's tent shown on their YouTube travel videos/photos was a much smaller tent than the one in these helicopter screenshots.

As they shoul

As they should be. Perhaps “social work” should be added to their policy academy training.
Social workers aren't law enforcement. Domestic abuse is a crime. In the last few years, much emphasis has been placed on police receiving more training in dealing with mentally ill suspects. When a narcissist escalates to toxic levels it is a personality disorder.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder: Traits, Tests, Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member