Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. They seemed to be aiding and abetting his escape. And they shut down any information to the grieving parents who had reached out to them for help finding their missing daughter. Who does that?

If they knew their son had an innocent explanation then they could have replied to the desperate family and given them some helpful info.

Their silence shows that they were being complicit, in my opinion.
Yes! Even if they had nothing helpful to share, which I’m not buying for a second, they should have contacted Gabby’s family and told them that. Gabby wasn’t just their son’s girlfriend, someone they casually met a few times. She lived in their house!! How can people be that cold-hearted?

I know a lot of you guys have said it, but this is the fastest-moving WS thread I've ever followed (I say 'follow', I've not been able to - any chance of a thread-link-watch, mods? :)).

Sorry if anyone has mentioned this one before, but I've subscribed to a news channel 'WFLA News Channel 8' on YouTube, that's been covering - virtually live - the updates on this case. They really are aware of people helping online - and gave credit for the dashcam footage that helped locate Gabby. Also they give voices to and answer people online with useful questions (eg: what if BL was wearing a shielding mask while he's walking round now?)

I'm from the UK so I've never had this kind of live coverage of a disappearance before. The only ones similar were Sarah Everard and little April Jones. Hoping Brian is found soon. I wasn't surprised by the initial findings from the autopsy, but I guess they have to wait for toxicology etc.

I don't post often, but I read a lot. LOVE you guys.

People their age toss around terms like “OCD” “Schizo” “Triggered” “bipolar” and “PTSD” all the time without any true diagnosis behind it … it’s just part of their vocabulary these days. Maybe it’s not a great thing to do and diminishes true mental health struggles, but it’s common. I would have no trouble believing that Gabby would refer to herself as OCD or that friends would call her OCD just because she likes things tidy - and it wouldn’t be derogatory, it would be lighthearted.

This. I always hear people say that say they're OCD about things that bother them but it's not a real diagnosis. My teenage nephew literally thought that it stood for "obsessive cleaning disorder" (we all had a good laugh)... because so many people, mostly younger people, casually use it in that context - like people joke that they're "OCD about" having things clean or specific. I think more people than not like things tidy or done a certain way, doesn't mean they really have a compulsive disorder.

Did the Laundries have to turn over their cell phones to LE? I am wondering if either of them purchased burners to communicate with the POI.

IMO there was no reason for them not to answer GP's parents' calls or texts about her whereabouts unless they were trying to hide something.

It is going to be hard for someone to stay in hiding without help and it will be difficult to get that help without a cell.

These are great thoughts. Maybe first steps are to place mental health/domestic violence hotline numbers in bathrooms of NP's and campgrounds. So that someone knows there are helpful caring people at the other end of the line that you can either talk to them or they could help with advice, or lead them to a safehouse. Maybe LE should hand our cards with these resource numbers during suspicious stops.

Just thinking out loud. I wish there would have been a way to help Gabby.

The one thing I noted was LE wasn’t qualified to make the abuse and/or mental health diagnosis. In my humble opinion, they failed Gabby by not bringing her to the hospital to be observed by a qualified mental health professional. Again, in my opinion, had they done that, Gabby may have reached out for help when she felt safe to do so. As a prior victim of an abusive relationship, I can tell you that the repercussions for stepping out of line behind closed doors makes one go along with what is being said and one and takes the blame for everything. Because that’s what they effectively have been programmed to do by the abuser. In no circumstance would I have ever challenged my ex. I’ve seen him manipulate so many people including the police and other people. Your self esteem is so low, that you naturally take the blame. You want the relationship to work and try everything to make it work including taking the blame. It was really hard for me to watch that video. She needed to be taken to safety so she could feel safe telling her side of the story—the story of the abuse. That didn’t happen and I do blame LE for that. They were not qualified to make that assessment. The card with resources would not have helped—you would have to find a safe place away from the controller to make that call…and then in your mind your all alone out in the middle of nowhere, with no way to get home. We victims rationalize it away. I can deal with it until I get home, etc etc.

Just gonna drop this off (18 U.S. Code § 3 - Accessory after the fact):

18 U.S. Code § 3 - Accessory after the fact

Whoever, knowing that an offense against the United States has been committed, receives, relieves, comforts or assists the offender in order to hinder or prevent his apprehension, trial or punishment, is an accessory after the fact.

Except as otherwise expressly provided by any Act of Congress, an accessory after the fact shall be imprisoned not more than one-half the maximum term of imprisonment or (notwithstanding section 3571) fined not more than one-half the maximum fine prescribed for the punishment of the principal, or both; or if the principal is punishable by life imprisonment or death, the accessory shall be imprisoned not more than 15 years.

He will say they arr
Well instead of trying to figure out how he did it, it can be effective trying to find something that could prove he is innocent. There is only a handful of those left, and they sound increasing less likely every hour. I in no way think Brian is innocent, but evidently, the police don t have enough to charge him yet either.

I know he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, don't think he has the resources to flee the country, but I have a hard time thinking he is camping out this whole time either.

One thing that puzzles me, what is his story gonna be? Is he gonna say he wasn't with her, he left and somebody else killed her? He had plenty of time to bury her why did he leave easily found? Did he just panic?
He will “say” that they arrived at Spread creek and he went for a hike, when he came back, Gabby was gone! He went looking for her, searching and searching, wandering a great distance, calling for her. He spent two nights out looking and when he came upon a road, he hitchiked, trying to get back to the van. When he finally made it back, she STILL was not there! He was afraid she had ditched him so he had no other choice but to take the van home. Lying sack <modsnip>

I thought I read somewhere that K9s picked up BL's scent initially, but then lost it. I just went looking for that reference, but couldn't find it anywhere. Does anyone know if that's true? And if so, is there a source?

There were reports that his scent was picked up in the park (area around where the car was parked)
Believe the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park???

When he announced the news conference yesterday that is what I had hoped was happening.

I am curious if he planned on giving some kind of speech about how the parents knew nothing but then the FBI told him they were likely to be charged with something like aiding/abetting and he canceled it. This is speculation, moo.

I disagree. They seemed to be aiding and abetting his escape. And they shut down any information to the grieving parents who had reached out to them for help finding their missing daughter. Who does that?

If they knew their son had an innocent explanation then they could have replied to the desperate family and given them some helpful info.

Their silence shows that they were being complicit, in my opinion.
Yes! Even if they had nothing helpful to share, which I’m not buying for a second, they should have contacted Gabby’s family and told them that. Gabby wasn’t just their son’s girlfriend, someone they casually met a few times. She lived in their house!! How can people be that cold-hearted?

This. I always hear people say that say they're OCD about things that bother them but it's not a real diagnosis. My teenage nephew literally thought that it stood for "obsessive cleaning disorder" (we all had a good laugh)... because so many people, mostly younger people, casually use it in that context - like people joke that they're "OCD about" having things clean or specific. I think more people than not like things tidy or done a certain way, doesn't mean they really have a compulsive disorder.
I read on here somewhere that Gabby's dad said on the Dr. Phil show that Gabby was NOT OCD. She was not diagnosed with that. She was just saying that or exaggerating, but didn't really mean it in its clinical term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592