Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian protected her by trying to go to jail instead of her. I mean, he did ask for that. Not an opinion. Do I need a link for the video here?
Yes, just after 26 minutes into the video when the officer is explaining the rules of arrests for DV's and that he didn't want to take Gabby to jail, BL asks, "Can I go to jail?" to which the officer says no because he didn't have any charges against him. I think it's clear that BL was protecting himself but I also think he was trying to protect Gabby from possible legal consequences. I'm sure he probably DID slap her but I am also sure that she struck him too. It's possible they both did things they shouldn't have done which led to the police becoming involved. Both parties agreed that she struck him but unfortunately Gabby didn't mention the things he had done aside from grabbing her face and pushing her away (which could be viewed as a defensive act). Sometimes in dysfunctional abusive relationships both victim/suspect partake in a certain behavior of denial which allows the abusive behavior to continue. I'm not making excuses for him or blaming her at all for what ended up happening - what he did is beyond despicable. Not just killing her, but leaving her body out there in the wilderness and refusing to answer any questions from her family while she was missing. It's just disgusting and so cruel. I hope he pays for it.

I'm not so sure if that couple across the street have their information mixed up. I think the white camper could have been the one GP and BL had. I'm sure it was new to them. I thought that they all went camping with the camper shell and the truck. You have to put them both together to make a "camper". You can't do anything with the camper shell unless you have a truck. I think that Gabby's dad would know exactly if that's her camper. They have VIN numbers to track and identify a specific vehicle since they are unique to that vehicle.
I meant the new White Camper Shell and that the Laundrie parents might have dropped Brian and the Camper Shell of in the wilderness so that Brian has some sort of shelter to sleep in before the parents buying a new identical one and placing it in their driveway to not arise suspicion

It's not necessarily hauling out pitchforks to look at an extended interaction and query whether responding LE should or could have done better. I'm sure there are people screaming for heads on a pike (there always are), and a lot of those folks simply like to have something to scream about (same goes for knee-jerk defenses).

However, given that we know they assessed the situation/dynamic incorrectly, and that - proximately or not - there was a really bad outcome of some sort, it is not only a good idea but should be required for there to be a review not just of whether the officers violated procedure or there were lapses in adherence to process, but also whether there are systemic blanks or flaws in how their or LE in general approaches domestic violence matters.

I'm waiting to see any founded objection to my last sentence.

It's the usual process in most organizations of any type. 'Mistakes might or might not have been made' is not accountability.

I would just add that this morphed and moved among considerations of traffic violations, DV considerations, and mental health. MOO

The police in Moab could have done a better job. When one of them commiserates with the man about “crazy females” and what they are capable of, it’s time for some retraining. Obviously, the real victim is Gabby, not BL. He was never in danger of being murdered by her, but turns out, she was the one in mortal danger. The police have a difficult job to do, but they appear to have not done their best that day. IMO

Those particular cops' behavior during that stop was reprehensible, IMO. They immediately bonded with BL, shared crazy women stories, and did everything they could to "document" her alleged abuse of BL. It was disgusting, as a woman, to watch that. Yes, police need to be trained better to identify the signs and behaviors that indicate domestic abuse. Absolutely. I hope that's part of what any investigation into that traffic stop will focus on. Yes police need to be better at being non-biased and not Bro bonding with the guy in a situation like that. Maybe we just need a whole lot more female cops in this country. IMO

Prayers to both families. This situation has to be a nightmare for all involved, even BL. We don't know what happened. We know they were very attached. They apparently loved each other. We don't know what happened between them....a heated argument in a restaurant or a fight driving down the road does not assure me that he killed her. Also, maybe it was an accident? Personally, we don't have enough facts yet. Certainly enough to have suspicions. I wish healing energy for all in both families.
BL is in a bed that he made himself. He needs to be having nightmares. I feel zero compassion for him. I don't even think it's apparent that he loved her. I don't think he even liked her. If that's what you call love, I don't ever want to be loved. If something leaves you traumatized(or dead), it's not LOVE.

I'm not posting much but have been doing my best to keep up with this case discussion. I read a post a while ago about Gabby's remains beig cremated in Wyoming. If homicide charges are eventually brought against BL or another suspect, wouldn't defense teams want their own autopsy results? If GP is cremated, an independent autopsy wouldn't be possible. I'm sure there are dozens of autopsy photos, maybe even video, and there will be plenty of forensic documentation, but wouldn't a defense team want to conduct their own autopsy and produce their own data? Perhaps a resident attorney can weigh in on this. TIA
hmmm. there are calling hours so i agree but i actually feel horrible even contemplating this.

I trust the best human minds, technology and resources are available to LE in this federal manhunt. Can you imagine all the strategic planning and coordination of Intel with the physical actors involved? I mean this is the FBI. This is serious. A lot of heavy hitters in these groups. Knives sharpen knives. They will find Brian. Dead or Alive…

And now that it's federal, all the vast (domestic and foreign) resources of the USG are available, including the most sophisticated assets from the 3 letter agencies.

IMO it seems that Brian's offer to go to jail instead of her was not genuine at all. He knew at that point that the cops were considering only Gabby as the aggressor and he was in the clear

Agreed. He was not asking to be arrested, he was asking if he could stay there to fulfill the separation requirement.

Well, for one, he was a big "no bottled water" nazi. But, in the youtube video GP made, there's plastic all over. Plastic container the grapes were in, plastic for the granola, etc. Also, he's supposedly a vegetarian but eating at a place called The Merry Piglet? Not saying that he ordered any meat, but cross-contamination is a thing. It's not personal to me, I just thought I'd point it out since you asked, because it's a couple of things that I noticed.

...and THAT might well be the reason why he raged. He probably found some piece of meat in his veggie avocado burrito, or similar. I once witnessed a similar incident, with the female veggie guest going crazy and storming out of the restaurant.

The feds filed a motion in the District of Wyoming for pre-trial detention (no bail) arguing that he is a flight risk and there is a risk for obstruction of justice if he is let out.

18 U.S. Code § 3142 - Release or detention of a defendant pending trial
Everyone assumes he will be detained in the US. If he is detained in Canada , it will be on immigration charges and he won't be going anywhere until it is all hammered out and BL goes in a police cruiser in handcuffs and an orange suit back over the border.

If he is detained by the cartels in OLE Mehico he will likely end up a single bullet to the head corpse after various hoax or non hoax extortions of his parents - which would by an eye for an eye situation.

For my money, he is nowhere near the Carlton reserve (that is all a spoof created by the parents .. my nose tells me that) . He's likely in hiding in NY state or is in Canada waiting the time to "come out ". He could easily have been dropped with relatives or close friends in NY during those 72 hrs approx that the whole family was off the grid. The time does not allow access to the Canadian border area a unless they drove like maniacs in terms of territory covered - or 4 days were used.

Bear in mind that BL might have covered 3500 km in just 3days /72 hrs (we don't know when he started by LE might) from Jackson , WY to North Port FL . What a LEGEND !!

I doubt if I could do that in that time of three days [without nodding off and running off the road ] (including sleep stops and getting fuel and eating).

KG

What? We do not know that… only Brian knows what he meant. To say he did not mean the things he said is your opinion, and rightfully so, but it’s certainly not a fact to claim HIS words meaningless lines.
/JMO
OK.
But it seems he's had a change of heart about the going-to-jail bit in the interim..
If he's alive .

The second thing listed is the cite for the statute that lists the penalty for violating the statute under which he was charged.

ETA: Oh I see what you may mean, the first says (a)(2) and the second says (a)(1). (a)(2) includes (a)(1) so I don't think it matters in terms of what was listed on the cover sheet.
Okay good! Whew! When I originally looked it up, & this is what I wanted to ask an attorney: (a)(1) says knowingly and with intent to defraud produces, uses, or traffics in one or more counterfeit access devices; then (a)(2) says knowingly and with intent to defraud traffics in or uses one or more unauthorized access devices during any one-year period, and by such conduct obtains anything of value aggregating $1,000 or more during that period (source: 18 U.S. Code § 1029 - Fraud and related activity in connection with access devices). My question is, does it make a huge difference to an attorney that one says counterfeit & one says unauthorized? In addition to that, since the arrest warrant is the one that references the (a)(1) - which is the one that says counterfeit - could his attorney come up & say, you can’t arrest him with that warrant & would they be able to still arrest him? Or are you saying that it doesn’t matter what the actual warrant says, it’s correct on the cover letter? I’m sure it was an innocent mistake…I’m just curious, if he has a good attorney, would it matter.

I am married to a great guy, too, for over 26 years, but he would not have said, hey, can I go to jail instead? At least I don't think so.... And my hubs is still great, despite doubts on that but may need some hints as to how to be even better, if such a situation arises.

Their stories aligned well, separately and apart from each other. They didn't know what anyone had reported at all, only what really happened. He wasn't asked about chasing and hitting her so we don't know what he would have said or even if it happened that way. They were both pretty transparent, given the stress of the situation, without inside information, and given the absolute INABILITY to feed off of each other...that was completely removed... IMO!!!! And they are just kids, again MOO, they handled it really well.
Without question, he was definitely asked to recount what happened and he left that part out, by choice. That is a deliberate omission, he left that out for a reason, he was not transparent, he was not taking responsibility for his actions.
My husband would definitely go to jail for me and I would do the same for him.

Edited to add that in no way do I believe Brian was sincere or would go to jail for Gabby. If he really meant that all he had to do was tell them that he was slapping her and hitting her.

MOO

Last edited:
Im still not 100% sold on the restaurant story, idk why
JMO

Same. It's being treated as confirmed, even by Websleuths, but I haven't seen or heard actual confirmation yet.

"Sightings" are notoriously wrong.

If there's video or a credit card receipt with their name on it, ok.

If they introduced themselves as Gabby and Brian, ok.

But a couple people saying "I'm sure that was them," is not confirmation, whether they're a manager, customer, or cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74