Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all! Something bugging me since the middle of the night—why did Gabbys mom file the missing persons report with NPPD and not in WY where she was last seen? I’m assuming it’s because they somehow found out that the van was back (maybe from the police visit)?

Answer: she didn't/wasn't so reported:

Petito and Laundrie had both attended Bayport-Blue Point High School. She was reported missing by her mother, Nichole Schmidt, of Blue Point, on Sept. 11 to the Suffolk County Police Department.

What happened to Gabby Petito? Key developments in the case

Possible answers as to why: with multi-jurisdictions involved, she had difficulty getting anyone to bite (for a missing persons report, Hollywood has long taught me it gets hot-potato'ed around the jurisdictional circle); or, Suffolk County agreed to pick it up because Gabby's mom Nicole is still a county resident.

Someone came forward and said that BL had given them a skateboard. I’m just not sure if it was the one that was in the police cam or an extra one.
Are you saying he gave away a piece of evidence? He might have used the skateboard to commit the crime, and he simply gave it away?

My quote option is not working for some reason, will not let me type. As to why no power in Utah, power grids surrounding, adjacent to areas with fires will sometimes be shut down so if lines burn they won’t blow transformers, fire travel down hot lines to other areas etc.

Good morning fellow Websleuther's..

Is it possible that BL is in hiding until enough time has passed to change his appearance? I realize it seems to us that everyone is on the look out for him but there has to be places in this country, communities that don't place a high priority on national news stories that he could fit in to.

But right now he's patiently waiting for hair growth to change what those who are watching out for him aren't looking for?

Shutdowns only affect non-essential employees. Most of the government continue to work.

Yeah, I never heard of a single federal government office that skipped a beat (or paycheck) during the pandemic... personally I can guarantee my friend who works for the State Department never missed a day. In fact he got overtime.

Are you saying he gave away a piece of evidence? He might have used the skateboard to commit the crime, and he simply gave it away?
I think it was the opposite anyway - that someone had given BL the skateboard.

ETA - I see SD's post negates this. I must have been confused.

Last edited:
Yesterday, unfortunately, they did say something to the effect of scaling back, using less people, but I’m afraid the link was a couple of threads ago and I’m not sure I can find it now. EDIT: Another poster just posted the information and link regarding reduced searches. See post # 482 @ChasingKaty

Important to note, reduced but more targeted ....

Although the major part of the search ended on Friday evening, over the weekend investigative crews will focus on “areas of more likelihood”.
Authorities have not said why they are convinced Mr Laundrie ... may still be somewhere inside the more than 24,000-acre Carlton Reserve near his home in North Port

Gabby Petito’s family gather for funeral in New York - live

Good morning fellow Websleuther's..

Is it possible that BL is in hiding until enough time has passed to change his appearance? I realize it seems to us that everyone is on the look out for him but there has to be places in this country, communities that don't place a high priority on national news stories that he could fit in to.

But right now he's patiently waiting for hair growth to change what those who are watching out for him aren't looking for?
Maybe we should check Hair Club for Men

Yeah, that's worrisome (the cremation). They had forensic experts Michael Baden on MSM, I forgot which channel/show or news outlet. It was right after the discovery so it aired either Monday or Tuesday, the day of the autopsy. He said they can (and likely will) get special forensic scientists involved to look any bugs and plants that may be on her. Apparently they can get down to granular detail, if the evidence is there for them to examine, and see if it leads to them to any number of issues from whether she was moved to the location from another area to how long she had been there. It was a pretty incredible interview actually. I wish I could remember where so I could tell you. There's been so much coverage of this case though that I can't even begin to imagine where I saw it. I'll see if google throws anything out. This is the interview I saw but it is not complete. He goes on about the scientists being called in on certain cases. If I find the full video I'll post it. Insects on body found in Wyoming may provide clues in Gabby Petito case, says Dr. Baden
Agree. I would say I am shocked about cremation, but this whole case is so strange, it seems par for the course. MOO

I'm thinking of a few years ago when those two criminals escaped an upstate NY prison (with help from a woman prison employee). They were on the run (towards Canada I guess) but eventually were bought down - one captured, one shot dead by LE. I know they were not "survivalist" types like BL supposedly is, but it gives me hope that sooner rather than later they will get him.
Let's see how much of a survivor he is without a home base to come back to. Please God Justice for Gabby. I can't even look at his picture, I just feel such anger.

Laundrie had done most of the mechanical work on their van, and Gabby had refurbished the interior, according to Foster, who said he enjoyed comparing tattoos with Gabby. When Laundrie asked Foster if he’d like to have a skateboard he no longer needed, Foster eagerly accepted.

“He said, ‘Here, I’m not gonna be needing two of these,’” Foster recalled, adding that Gabby and Laundrie said they were headed to Yellowstone next.

This ‘Van-Life’ Couple Went on a Cross-Country Trip Out West. Only He Came Back.

Going by some of the photos and BL's hitchhiking story about camping and hiking along the Snake River, it really makes me wonder if he might follow a waterway within the reserve or elsewhere. Moving water would be far preferable over standing water, imo. Plus a river serves as a natural map so he'd know where he was at. I'm not familiar with the area beyond looking at the satellite map, so maybe the locals can explain. I'm wondering what river systems would be around the North Port area that would be easy to hike and hide on right now, without going through populated areas.

Last edited:
Agree. I would say I am shocked about cremation, but this whole case is so strange, it seems par for the course. MOO

During an autopsy involving a potential crime they will retain samples, in case they are needed for further proof/investigation of a crime.

This is an Aussie link, but I believe it is a common practise.

Access to crime scene samples | ALRC

BBM - I think so too which is why BL hightailed it home and they circled the wagons. He may have returned home earlier too (the storage unit trip) under crisis and the parents may have initially thought his Sept 1 return was similar. The million dollar question: what did BL say when they asked why he returned home alone, with the van, without Gabby. And why did they immediately seek counsel and clam up instead of communicating with Gabby's parents and LE.

Yep, although we don’t know when his parents were aware something was wrong, we do know that the first time police knocked on the door they handed them their attorney card. They did circle the wagons to protect him. Whenever they became aware that Gabby was missing, their reaction was not to help resolve the situation. Whenever they became aware of it, they had the option to cooperate with LE, even if Brian refused to talk to them, told them some BS story, they could have let LE in the house and said you have a crack at him, we need to find Gabby. We do know that did not happen, we do know at the expense of finding Gabby, at the expense of her family’s suffering, they choose not to cooperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aegon_the_Conqueror