Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Barry will take the stand. Heck! He only gave 26 seconds to ask for Suzanne!
I believe he thinks he can sway just one woman on the jury (or more) with his masculine good looks. (in his conceited mind)
And the pink made him appear more innocent. Pink shirt, blond hair, blue eyes. The look of innocence is probably what they (he and his attorneys) thought.
jmo

Seeing BM in the pink tee made me think of the image of JP leaning against a truck

You know what? I also think he simply didn't like or love her. I'm sorry, but I think that's really important. I am now just giving my personal opinion, not a professional opinion, but IME, people often don't like the people they live with. Having people promise to live with someone else forever is a bad deal for some. Don't stay with someone you can't stand (or don't like).

I know why Suzanne had an affair. Humans are very prone to pair-bonding and they want someone who suits them. Barry was more than just difficult (definitely heavy - in terms of muscles). Many humans (men included) want a relationship where there's shared dialogue, support and mutual decision-making. Research shows that this is a good thing. Sexual attraction is likely very closely aligned with support and shared (good) decision-making.

I like a lot of people (but wouldn't marry them). Marriage is this weird situation where you have to promise to love (and like?) people in advance. Good luck with that. Seriously, some of us get lucky by choosing the right partner the first time (about half of us), but the other half of us had no clue what we were getting into. People change. After the birth of children, those wonderful gun-wielding behaviors that some think are so sexy and wonderful...are not.

Barry did not like Suzanne, no matter how much he considered her an "angel." He has a very narrow perspective on women, on the world in general. I can't even begin to understand it - and I don't think Suzanne could understand it either. I get it now, but only after a couple of decades of intense reflection on the problem.

People can marry people they don't like and then grow to hate them, without any consciousness...that it's happening. They can also marry people they like and ifnd out they were wrong.

He knew. At some level, people always know. People have affectional bonds that are real and they know when those bonds are disrupted. It isn't talked about and maybe there's not language for it - but he knew. And he acted. And he was right.

(Sorry for the formatting,
I trust you guys to figure out what I was trying to say)

I agree. It is possible that all his relationships are along “idealization-devaluation” axis, however, but we see this trait only in his attitude to Suzanne because ultimately, we are looking at their marriage. This being said, I assume that he might have treated a stronger woman much better. Suzanne sacrificed too much of her independence for the family. Barry was making the decisions, Barry was giving her the weekly allowances, Barry was controlling the family, and in Barry’s eyes, he was the only one working. I believe Suzanne’s real chance at freedom might have been divorcing BM when she got the inheritance.

I can’t understand Barry, but I think that his stubbornness and avarice are both inborn. As to women, he might have modeled his behavior after own father, with some variations.

I don’t like to use the word “narcissistic” because it has become the “mot du jour”, but BM's interviews in the affidavit reek of narcissistic injury. He is unloved, disrespected, unappreciated, unrewarded, it is never the husband’s day. (And he is vindictive).

At the same time, BM is probably very good at things that interest him, but leaves plenty of loose ends elsewhere. Hence, Suzanne’s body will probably not be found because getting rid of it involved the mixture of hunting and some professional skills, and he was good at it, but the tiniest part he was not interested in - the mountain bike - was the beginning of his downfall.

JMO - Barry's weakness is not understanding people. That “Oh, Suzanne” video shouldn’t have been made. All that was said about sex life and got into the affidavit should not have been said. Referring to one’s dead (or even, presumably disappeared) wife as the “lover” makes me strongly doubt his faith.

And if he did not know about JL, he was paranoid enough to constantly suspect someone in Suzanne’s life.

Last edited:
Didn't CW bemoan his hands that he was unable to stop... and feels bad that this thing had to happen for him to find God in prison? It's the same perverse song-- "I wouldn't'a if you hadn't'a, but you did so I had to. I forgive you for making me." Zero remorse. Add in the gross misappropriation of religion and you get a lot of what we got here.

It's cringeworthy but if Suzanne had just remembered her place. I'm sorry -- but that's a steak she was done with. Imagine decades of AAspeak. Never wrong. Always a nearby animal to blame. So much bluster. IME you can never advance a conversation with someone like that.

Handing the Internets to the OP above who said Barry had his steak and ate it too.

I hope some way some how, Suzanne gets the last word.

JMO

Me too.

This being said, I assume that he might have treated a stronger woman much better

that is not how controlling, abusive people work, and even “strong” women find themselves in abusive situations and wonder how they got there. It is extremely simplistic and a little victim-blamey to assume that people who are abused are weak.

someone like BM would never date a “strong” woman, because they would take too much effort to manipulate. The only type of woman he will treat “a better” is the one that does not do a single thing that he does not agree with, and everything he asks of her. He does not want fully formed humans with their own wants and desires.

that is not how controlling, abusive people work, and even “strong” women find themselves in abusive situations and wonder how they got there. It is extremely simplistic and a little victim-blamey to assume that people who are abused are weak.

someone like BM would never date a “strong” woman, because they would take too much effort to manipulate. The only type of woman he will treat “a better” is the one that does not do a single thing that he does not agree with, and everything he asks of her. He does not want fully formed humans with their own wants and desires.

Well, to start with, Suzanne was a fully formed human with her wishes and desires... Let me respectfully disagree with you.

Have you noticed how hard Barry was trying to be nice to people who were not close to him or did not know him well? I think the same applies to women. As long as women are not dependent on him and don't share their money with him, he "behaves". JMO. The moment the women trust him - it all changes, and he becomes sadistic. He is very angry at the world and has to take this anger on someone, and I expect the victim to be the person fully in his control. (With Suzanne, by weak I mean not her personality, after all,, she survived cancer, twice, but her situation).

Whether Barry would date a "strong" woman or not, I think, depends on a lot of other factors. Whether she looks well, is refined, has money. In other words, how much of a trophy she is. Suzanne was a big catch for Barry, and I suspect, things changed, first, when she had kids and he understood that she was not going anywhere, and finally, when she got ill.

P.S. I think a man like BM is at his worst when he uproots a woman and takes her away from her family, friends, culture, or religion. (Happened many times.. This is why the parents who come to visit their daughter married to a BM-lookalike are often in shock of the real situation.) In case of Suzanne, she was probably much safer in Indiana. JMO.

Last edited:
Barry is a predator and an ego-maniac. His treatment of women has been discussed here....in terms of his narrow perspective. But his treatment of other men is also predatory. His history of swindling were "financial conquests"....He has to be the tough guy as well. But deep down inside, whether he is dealing with men or women...he has insecurities and inadequacies, imo. He has to prove himself when it is totally unnecessary.

The Gulch Trail property is only 2300sq ft living space (minus lower level) yet a stately home with nice views. We really can't discount that SM was part of the 'appearances matter' club and would not likely downgrade her daughter's lifestyle either. According to JL, SM had no intentions of leaving her daughters that appeared to be happy in Colorado and I think SM saw this as her separate property. MOO

5621 King Gulch Trail, Salida, CO 81201 - MLS 3340405 - Coldwell Banker
How ironic. Did anyone search up this way? I can see BM saying, “You want to live up there? I’ll let you stay up there, permanently.” MOO

Attachments

• 602115E0-9A4D-4ABF-9242-B1AFEBCE1194.jpeg
    602115E0-9A4D-4ABF-9242-B1AFEBCE1194.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 52
He knew. At some level, people always know. People have affectional bonds that are real and they know when those bonds are disrupted. It isn't talked about and maybe there's not language for it - but he knew. And he acted. And he was right.

(Sorry for the formatting,
I trust you guys to figure out what I was trying to say)

I hear what you're saying, and it's true, we know. Even if we don't know, know, we know. That's why I said I think he knew something was going on, but not for sure, and most certainly not with whom. I think LE would have known who JL was LONG before they did, if there was any chance that Barry knew who he was before Mother's Day 2020. No doubt in my mind Barry would have contacted him in some way, likely face to face, since he's so wrapped up in image and what people think. That would be the sort of "macho" move I think he'd make.

jmo

Seeing BM in the pink tee made me think of the image of JP leaning against a truck

32646050-8685695-Jeff_Puckett_pictured_49_of_Salida_Colorado_said_he_was_ordered_-a-8_1599050502930.jpg

Husband of missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew denies wrongdoing inside cheap hotel | Daily Mail Online

Well they better add it quickly, in my opinion there is not enough evidence for first degree. No DNA, no timing, no how, no when, no how the body transported or how it was disposed or where it was discarded or when it was discarded. This is a very weak first degree., it is more likely but not beyond a reasonable doubt murder. The defense will easily hammer the scenario of BM dimming light and sneaking up on Puma Path. ‘She has affairs’, I caught her having sex in the basement. I want to see SM get justice. Very unlikely he will get off on second degree, first could go either way, it depends on the jurors.
The jury doesn't need to know any of these things to decide BM killed SM. If the ground is dry when you go to sleep and wet when you wake, you have circumstantial proof beyond a reasonable doubt that it rained in your area during the night. You don't need to know when it rained, how much it rained, where else it rained, how much went into the soil, how much went into the reservoir, or what path it took to get there. You don't need to know if the rain was accompanied by winds, lightning, thunder or all three. You don't need a forecast or a news report. It rained.

Electronic evidence proves beyond a reasonable doubt that SM was happily communicating with her lover and her friend up until just before BM arrived at Puma Path on the afternoon of May 9. The ground was dry. He admits he was there at that time with a gun in his hands. After that, she disappears physically and in terms of all interactions with the human world. The ground is wet. BM killed SM, beyond a reasonable doubt. He made the hotel reservation for his patently phony alibi well before all this. He deliberated, beyond a reasonable doubt.

We're here because we like to analyze and speculate, and analyze our speculations LOL. It's not surprising that we feel there's something missing if we don't know everything BM could tell us about what happened that day, why, and how he disposed of SM.

But for the jury, this is a very simple case. They don't need to know all those things we want to know. It's as easy as deciding it rained during the night. Whole bunches of BM's statements can be suppressed without damaging the case.

All that's needed is a responsible jury with common sense, who will keep their eyes on the donut and ignore the defense attorneys shouting about the hole. The kind of jury our system of justice is designed to produce, and the kind of jury it commonly does produce. The prosecutors aren't worried about their case for Murder in the First Degree, After Deliberation. I'm not, either. BM will not enjoy his freedom long, if he enjoys it at all. MOO.

Just because she was cheating on her husband doesn’t mean that she would miss a momentous occasion. Suzanne lied to her friends, because she knew that what she was doing was wrong. I can imagine that she had a crisis of conscience about it, as it went against everything that she appeared to be. Adultery is a pretty big sin to a religious person, and I think she felt incredibly guilty about it. But she continued. Why? Because she saw firsthand that a person can find their Fred at any stage in life?

Maybe between cancer, her kids growing up, moving away to an isolated location away from her support system, she was that miserable. Maybe she didn’t want to give up the secret thing, only for herself, that kept her spirit alive. Maybe JL made her feel things she had not felt in a very long time, and she didn’t want to give it up. You’re not automatically a bad friend because you cheat on your husband, or don’t divulge your affair. Suzanne kept secrets from her friend. If Suzanne told SO, SO would have been lying to her own husband if she didn’t tell him. And they’ll tell two friends… Barry could have divorced Suzanne-publicly shamed her even. He murdered her instead.

The defense will use all this to BM benefit. Its not about her having an affair, but about her wanting out and leading a double life of sorts. Defense can easily argue, she left and she wasn't someone who would tell other people her plans.

I think BM's change of appearance after four months in a rural county jail is not so much a clever PR strategy by his attorneys as it is the physical manifestation of his guilty mind, and the psychological devastation of irretrievably shattered self image. Whether SM was the love of his life or not she was an essential part of his illusion of himself as a Man, in the classic tradition of the Protector, Hunter, Breadwinner, Irresistible Sex Magnet, etc. He was able to prop all that up and distract himself for a year, but since his arrest he's had nothing to do but read the evidence against him and watch the money disappear, that he killed to keep. His daughters can see him collapsing psychologically and they have rushed to save what's left of him. But he'll never be the same.

I know we all love to count the symptoms of his NPD, but bullies and narcissists are all terribly insecure and I think BM will be a much diminished human being in terms of the quality of his life, regardless whether he spends the rest of his years on earth in a Colorado prison.

The jury doesn't need to know any of these things to decide BM killed SM. If the ground is dry when you go to sleep and wet when you wake, you have circumstantial proof beyond a reasonable doubt that it rained in your area during the night. You don't need to know when it rained, how much it rained, where else it rained, how much went into the soil, how much went into the reservoir, or what path it took to get there. You don't need to know if the rain was accompanied by winds, lightning, thunder or all three. You don't need a forecast or a news report. It rained.

Electronic evidence proves beyond a reasonable doubt that SM was happily communicating with her lover and her friend up until just before BM arrived at Puma Path on the afternoon of May 9. The ground was dry. He admits he was there at that time with a gun in his hands. After that, she disappears physically and in terms of all interactions with the human world. The ground is wet. BM killed SM, beyond a reasonable doubt. He made the hotel reservation for his patently phony alibi well before all this. He deliberated, beyond a reasonable doubt.

We're here because we like to analyze and speculate, and analyze our speculations LOL. It's not surprising that we feel there's something missing if we don't know everything BM could tell us about what happened that day, why, and how he disposed of SM.

But for the jury, this is a very simple case. They don't need to know all those things we want to know. It's as easy as deciding it rained during the night. Whole bunches of BM's statements can be suppressed without damaging the case.

All that's needed is a responsible jury with common sense, who will keep their eyes on the donut and ignore the defense attorneys shouting about the hole. The kind of jury our system of justice is designed to produce, and the kind of jury it commonly does produce. The prosecutors aren't worried about their case for Murder in the First Degree, After Deliberation. I'm not, either. BM will not enjoy his freedom long, if he enjoys it at all. MOO.

Thank you, CGray123.
When "Doubting Thomas" creeps into my brain, I will reread this post of yours.

Justice will be yours, Suzanne.

IMHO

The defense will use all this to BM benefit. Its not about her having an affair, but about her wanting out and leading a double life of sorts. Defense can easily argue, she left and she wasn't someone who would tell other people her plans.
The prosecution has abundant evidence there was no sign of life after early afternoon, May 9. She was talking about marriage with JL, and left with someone else?? Leaving her passport, money, checkbook, ID, credit cards, phone, and all other means of sustaining herself? Defense can try this and probably will, but they'll need a jury of born suckers if BM hopes to raise a reasonable doubt with that laugher.

Great post @CGray123 -- fortunately, the jury won't have 16+months to rehash the same evidence and will make an informed decision using their common sense. And I trust they will get it right. :)

I think BM's change of appearance after four months in a rural county jail is not so much a clever PR strategy by his attorneys as it is the physical manifestation of his guilty mind, and the psychological devastation of irretrievably shattered self image. Whether SM was the love of his life or not she was an essential part of his illusion of himself as a Man, in the classic tradition of the Protector, Hunter, Breadwinner, Irresistible Sex Magnet, etc. He was able to prop all that up and distract himself for a year, but since his arrest he's had nothing to do but read the evidence against him and watch the money disappear, that he killed to keep. His daughters can see him collapsing psychologically and they have rushed to save what's left of him. But he'll never be the same.

I know we all love to count the symptoms of his NPD, but bullies and narcissists are all terribly insecure and I think BM will be a much diminished human being in terms of the quality of his life, regardless whether he spends the rest of his years on earth in a Colorado prison.
I agree. BM's [narc] mask was very worn and tattered when he left Indiana for new fabric and fit in Colorado. But he's been 100% uncovered now.

And it certainly wasn't lost on me that he didn't even bother with a physical mask when he left jail -- none of them did. They're untouchable -- NOT!

MOO

I agree. It is possible that all his relationships are along “idealization-devaluation” axis, however, but we see this trait only in his attitude to Suzanne because ultimately, we are looking at their marriage. This being said, I assume that he might have treated a stronger woman much better. Suzanne sacrificed too much of her independence for the family. Barry was making the decisions, Barry was giving her the weekly allowances, Barry was controlling the family, and in Barry’s eyes, he was the only one working. I believe Suzanne’s real chance at freedom might have been divorcing BM when she got the inheritance.

I can’t understand Barry, but I think that his stubbornness and avarice are both inborn. As to women, he might have modeled his behavior after own father, with some variations.

I don’t like to use the word “narcissistic” because it has become the “mot du jour”, but BM's interviews in the affidavit reek of narcissistic injury. He is unloved, disrespected, unappreciated, unrewarded, it is never the husband’s day. (And he is vindictive).

At the same time, BM is probably very good at things that interest him, but leaves plenty of loose ends elsewhere. Hence, Suzanne’s body will probably not be found because getting rid of it involved the mixture of hunting and some professional skills, and he was good at it, but the tiniest part he was not interested in - the mountain bike - was the beginning of his downfall.

JMO - Barry's weakness is not understanding people. That “Oh, Suzanne” video shouldn’t have been made. All that was said about sex life and got into the affidavit should not have been said. Referring to one’s dead (or even, presumably disappeared) wife as the “lover” makes me strongly doubt his faith.

And if he did not know about JL, he was paranoid enough to constantly suspect someone in Suzanne’s life.

BBM. But he couldn't allow her to work, either, because then he would look like a bad provider. Barry is all about appearances, after all.

I think he began to really believe there was someone else around September 2019. I don't think he knew who it was, because he kept trying to get the agents to tell him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix