GUILTY UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London, Clapham Common area, 3 Mar 2021 *Life sentence* #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
11:56am
'At no stage has he offered any kind of explanation'
The judge mentioned that Couzens buying food and drink and "coolly taking his family for an outing close to where he dumped Sarah Everard's body".

He pointed out that his "controlled and normal" call to the vets was evidence of not showing any genuine contrition.

11:53am
Hire car used to dupe victim
Lord Justice Fulford said Couzens hired the car "because it was in such a poor state that it might have alerted the victim of their arrest".

I can imagine though this is just them answering honestly about what he was like at work, not pleading his case - unless they were corrupt too and did not want him dishing the dirt on them in the future...but even so, it would be such a small minority, the vast majority of the police force run towards danger to protect strangers, risking their lives to save others. Also, I think it is the same with men in general, most are not bad and many would have stopped and done all they could to save her that night if they knew what was happening and even if it meant risking their life (ie if he pulled out a knife).

It's an element the judge must address. I'd think about it from the kids' perspective; would they even want anything more to do with him?

Sorry, I don’t think the kids’ perspective is relevant in the slightest.

The children also have another parent who by all accounts is decent.

It is sad for them and I feel for them but not something relevant to sentencing in this case.

I'm glad he said depressed state has no significance to the crimes committed. If I were depressed I might want to harm myself, or maybe the person who I thought was responsible for my depressed state. But not this. This doesn't result from depression

'Depression does not lead to the actions like these”
Regarding Wayne Couzens' mental health, Lord Justice Fulford said: “The defendant's wife described his concerns and particularly his financial difficulties.

"He suffered from lack of a sleep and on occasion tinnitus.

"Although there is no history of depression, he may have suffered from episodes of mild depression at the relevant time. As doctors have described, depression does not lead to the actions like these.”

The judge also noted Couzens has failed to give a proper explanation.

“The defendant sought to minimise his accountability," he added. "At no stage has he offered any kind of full explanation as to what happened."

Live updates as Wayne Couzens sentenced at Old Bailey for Sarah Everard's murder

'He must have realised he may need to kill the woman he intended to abduct and rape'
On the issue of whether Wayne Couzens intended to kill Sarah Everard after kidnapping her, the judge said he must have been aware she would have been able to identify him if she had lived.

“His identification that would have come from Sarah Everard [if she lived] would have been inevitable," Lord Justice Fulford said.

"The defendant must have realised that he may well need to kill the woman he intended to abduct and rape.

"But this did not become a definite outcome until the events had started to unfold and he got the measure of the person he had attacked."

Live updates as Wayne Couzens sentenced at Old Bailey for Sarah Everard's murder

It's worth keeping in mind that the Justice's comments are all relative

He is comparing WC to the very worst murders who get full life tariff. Does he cross that line? Or is this just an awful murder but not the worst? Remember WC is being judged against people who did multiple murders.

And I'm infuriated by the defence counsel statement that by pleading guilty he saved Sarah's family from humiliation at trial. They never would have been humiliated. He's the only one who we view with disgust and that would only have multiplied with hearing details at a trial

12:03pm
'Police are in a unique position'

The judge said: "I would stress therefore that I have adopted the approach that a judge should only pass a whole-life term if he is confronted with a new category of exceptionally seriousness of a case."

He added: "Police are in a unique position that is essentially different to any other public servant. They have powers of coercion and control that are in an exceptional category."

'Police are in a unique position'
The judge said: "I would stress therefore that I have adopted the approach that a judge should only pass a whole-life term if he is confronted with a new category of exceptionally seriousness of a case."

He added: "Police are in a unique position that is essentially different to any other public servant. They have powers of coercion and control that are in an exceptional category."

Sarah Everard murder: Wayne Couzens doesn't deserve to die in prison, defence insists

Seems promising :eek:

And I'm infuriated by the defence counsel statement that by pleading guilty he saved Sarah's family from humiliation at trial. They never would have been humiliated. He's the only one who we view with disgust and that would only have multiplied with hearing details at a trial
Quite. If he had not committed the crime - no trial and Sarah would still be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa