Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laundrie neighbor faces charges after confronting protestors

Angelo Zappacosta, 48, was arrested and could face battery and assault charges after getting in the faces of demonstrators who have been in front of the Laundrie house all week with bullhorns.

The neighbor says that through his surveillance camera in his driveway, he could see some of the protestors peeking into his window. Zappacosta says he was trying to get the protestors off of his property when things escalated.

Laundrie neighbor arrested after confronting protestors

1. Truck and camper at home
2. Camper at De Soto
3. Campsite 1, at De Soto (another camper). Note proximity to adjacent site.
4. Campsite 1 with water view
5. This was news to me - Gabby and BL had previously visited De Soto. She is pictured sitting on 1 of the 3 seawalls.

View attachment 315728 View attachment 315730 View attachment 315733 View attachment 315734 View attachment 315735

Couple claim they camped next to Brian Laundrie, his parents before Gabby Petito was 'missing' | Daily Mail Online
Yes IIRC they went there about a month before they started their vanlife journey.

If they never find BL, the case will likely be relegated to the cold case files (to be rewarmed, should there be reason to do so). And cold case investigators will go over the files for anything that might have been missed, when/if they have the opportunity.

If BL is found deceased, that will be the end of it.

imo
If BL’s not captured, it’ll be interesting of his parents file for a death certificate. They can apply Sept 14, 2026. Hope we’re not still waiting for justice that far out.
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

As others have noted, one thing that might help with an understanding of BL's motivations would be knowing more about what happened when BL allegedly flew back to Florida to move things into or out of storage. Apparently GP was at a hotel -- her Facetiming with her family may provide some evidence of that.
JMO

I think it is very possible that the families (either one or both) were trying to help give Gabby and BL a break from each other, from that long period of time that they were alone together.

Perhaps BL's family flying him home, perhaps Gabby's family putting her up in the hotel for the week.

That happened after the Aug 12th Moab incident, didn't it?

Who wants to take a chance on harboring a fugitive. If the "harborer" says s/he did not know of his fugitive status, that'll be a tuff one for LE to believe, IMO.

Re Harboring:

1827. Harboring -- Applicable Statutes

This chapter covers the two statutes in Title 18 which criminalize the harboring of fugitives from justice. These statutes are 18 U.S.C. § 1071 (concealing a person from arrest) and 18 U.S.C. § 1072 (concealing an escaped prisoner). Other related statutes which are not discussed in this chapter include 18 U.S.C. §§ 751 - 757 (the escape and rescue provisions), and 18 U.S.C. §§ 1073 - 1074 (flight to avoid prosecution or giving testimony provisions).

Section 1071 makes it an offense to harbor or conceal any person for whose arrest a warrant or process has been issued, so as to prevent the fugitive's discovery and arrest, after having notice or knowledge that a warrant or process has been issued for the fugitive's apprehension. An offender is subject to imprisonment for not more than one year, unless the warrant or process was issued on a felony charge, or after conviction of the fugitive of any offense, in which case the offender faces a maximum term of imprisonment of five years.

----------------------------------------------------
More here:
1827. Harboring -- Applicable Statutes
As I told some friends of mine a while ago, there is no way that I would do ANYTHING that could cause me to go to jail, for any amount of money, because I value my freedom. It would just not happen. But that's me. I think perhaps there are those who would have given BL some cash and maybe some food, but as far as a place to stay... IMHO, I think he's on his own. Homeless people in my hometown break into abandoned buildings fairly regularly, and I would not be surprised if that's what BL has done. He could possibly get caught panhandling or dumpster diving when he runs out of food, which I predict will happen within the next couple of weeks, again, IF he is alive. I still give that 80-20 odds. JHMO.

Gabby’s friend, Maija Posley, says that cops should have realized Gabby was in jeopardy.

“When I saw the police footage, I saw the bruise on her cheek, and she said that he grabbed her, and they just skimmed right over that”.

Bruise on cheek.JPG

While Gabby’s bruise was quite noticeable, the police commented on his scratches but they were so insignificant and not visible, at least to me.

https://www.insideedition.com/does-brian-laundrie-have-a-burner-phone-while-on-the-run-70163

Brian Laundrie's sister Cassie Laundrie breaks silence on Gabby Petito case | ABC Exclusive

FULL TRANSCRIPT OF THE INTERVIEW WITH CASSIE LAUNDRIE

Question: So just tell us what you were saying, just your overall reaction to everything.

Cassie Laundrie: Obviously my family and I want Gabbie to be found safe. She’s like a sister and my kids love her, and all I want is for her to come home safe and sound and that’s just a big misunderstanding.

Question: And how close have you all been over the years, you said.

Cassie Laundrie: The last couple of years Gabby has been in our lives and she’s been kind and fun and we’ve had a great time. My kids absolutely love it.

Question: And when you just heard the news just in general, so it’s gone and your brother is back here?

Cassie Laundrie: I don’t understand. As much as everyone else, I learn all about the news too.

Question: And you said that you spoke to the police because some people said okay with the family – on your side, you communicated with the police.

Cassie Laundrie: Yeah, I spoke to the police the second they called. I called them back right away. We were in Orlando on vacation with my kids to Disney. And we came back to it.

Question: And what is your hope right now with the rest of the world.

Cassie Laundrie: I hope she’s safe and unaware and safe.

Question: And you were saying in body camera terms just like you, you watched the body camera video – just kinda what was – knowing them, you were just saying sort of, nothing was crazy.

Cassie Laundrie: No, I couldn’t find anything in particular other than that it was just a regular spitting of couples gone wrong.

Question: And did the whole family know they were going to take this big road trip, how exciting – tell us about that.

Cassie Laundrie: Yeah, they talked about it for a while and they love to travel. They sent us postcards along the way. They really kept in touch with the kids via video chat and their phones and showed them all the sights because my boys love to travel too. They love all Utah sites and everything they send them.

Question: What did you think when you found out like YouTube videos and just, I mean, looks like they are having a good time.

Cassie Laundrie: Oh, yeah, I mean, what I’ve seen a lot of people say with the YouTube videos is that it was from their first trip and their current trip. They did it together as one thing to start their first leg of the journey.

Question: And so I guess the last time you saw our conversation with Gabby was before they left.

Cassie Laundrie: Me, other than FaceTime, yeah. Like the day before they left, they came to help me with the children because I had a pest control to come.

Question: Did they speak to family regularly during the trip?

Cassie Laundrie: Yeah, that sort of thing, yeah.

Question: And I guess if you are – what is it, just like his sister, the strangest thing for you about all of this, if you had to?

Cassie Laundrie: That I couldn’t talk to her. I wish I could talk to him.

Question: He just doesn’t want to tell anyone.

Cassie Laundrie: I know it’s because the lawyers, advising them not to say anything, I, I …

Question: In the meantime, it seems the world is looking for Gabby, and they’re all in the house and you’re trying to cooperate as best you can.

Cassie Laundrie: I have cooperated in any way I can. I would like to have information or give more. I, I, I … that’s all I got, that’s – I gave to the police.

Question: Have you spoken to Gabby’s family?

Cassie Laundrie: No one has contacted me and I’m not sure if it’s appropriate for me to contact them when this is all going on.

Question: What would you say to her family to let them know that you are …

Cassie Laundrie: Oh, we want her to come back safe too. It’s obvious what – she’s awesome. She’s cute. She loves my children, they made a set of them.

Question: And as a mom yourself I guess you probably can’t even imagine what …?

Cassie Laundrie: I … that’s obviously the most important thing as a parent is that you want to protect your children.

Question: Did the police say anything else about …?

Cassie Laundrie: No, I only had their initial questions and I wasn’t contacted and, and every time they want to get back to me, I’m waiting here for them to have my number.

Question: Did you know the van was back and you are …?

Cassie Laundry room: No.

Question: So you didn’t know he came back without the …?

Cassie Laundrie: I assumed he was home, because that’s what he did when he was – actually, I don’t mean that.

Questioner: No problem. No problem.

Cassie Laundrie: I think it’s more police stuff.

Question: Okay, uh, but is it like his behavior to go on a trip with her and then leave her somewhere like something like that has never been …?

Cassie Laundrie: No, I mean. No, nothing like this has ever happened before.

Question: But I’m saying he doesn’t really have one. Does he like the personality that he would?

Cassie Laundrie: No he’s very uh … he’s very. He always does the right thing, like in the body cam, he cooperates with the police, and he’s a wonderful uncle. He’s always been there when I need him. He’s, I mean, he’s been there whenever Gabby needed him.

Question: So when you saw the video, did it sound like just spit to you or did it sound like your brother, or, you know what I mean, is that right?

Cassie Laundrie: It sounds typical of the two of them, every time they fight they take a little break and come back and be fine, because that’s what you do as a couple – sit together in mountains.

Question: Anything else you want to say from your perspective, or pretty much about the big picture, like you said, you’ve watched it all unfold day by day and more and more attention is being paid and it seems like the whole world is wondering where she is?

Cassie Laundrie: I don’t think so, I don’t think so, I just obviously want her to come back as bad as everyone else I don’t, I wish I could help and be the person to be that. I do not know.

Hmmmm....

Emphasis mine:

Question: And you said that you spoke to the police because some people said okay with the family – on your side, you communicated with the police.
Cassie Laundrie: Yeah, I spoke to the police the second they called. I called them back right away. We were in Orlando on vacation with my kids to Disney. And we came back to it. [Got out of Dodge after seeing him at your home and again at Fort De Soto? MOO Attempt at formulating an alibi? MOO/IMO]

Question: He just doesn’t want to tell anyone.
Cassie Laundrie: I know it’s because the lawyers, advising them not to say anything, I, I …

Question: And what is your hope right now with the rest of the world.
Cassie Laundrie: I hope she’s safe and unaware and safe. [Unaware???]

Question: And I guess if you are – what is it, just like his sister, the strangest thing for you about all of this, if you had to?
Cassie Laundrie: That I couldn’t talk to her. I wish I could talk to him. [Past tense MOO]

Question: Have you spoken to Gabby’s family?
Cassie Laundrie: No one has contacted me and I’m not sure if it’s appropriate for me to contact them when this is all going on. [Not true unless the Petitos are lying]

“We called Brian, we called the mom, we called the dad, we called the sister, we called every number that we could find,” Petito said. “No phone calls were picked up, no text messages were returned.”
FBI searches Florida home of Petito's boyfriend; autopsy scheduled for Tuesday

Question: Did you know the van was back and you are …?
Cassie Laundry room: No. [short/cuts off Q. MOO]
Question: So you didn’t know he came back without the …?
Cassie Laundrie: I assumed he was home, because that’s what he did when he was – actually, I don’t mean that.

Thank you for posting this.

Angelo Zappacosta, 48, was arrested and could face battery and assault charges after getting in the faces of demonstrators who have been in front of the Laundrie house all week with bullhorns.

The neighbor says that through his surveillance camera in his driveway, he could see some of the protestors peeking into his window. Zappacosta says he was trying to get the protestors off of his property when things escalated.

Oh my goodness

I haven't caught up with the thread yet, so I don't know if this has already been discussed. I saw an extended version of the interaction between GP, BL and LE when they interviewed them roadside.

Gabby was very emotional pleading with the officers to let them remain together. She didn't want to be separated from Brian. We all know that didn't happen and he spent the night in a hotel for free as victim of DV. Gabby was left with a van she didn't like to drive in an unfamiliar environment.

We've heard a lot of stories about Brian and his means to control Gabby. He has taken her ID to stop her from going out with her female friends for a night out. He has a habit of locking her out of the van. He has a habit of taking her keys. He always attempts to isolate her.

I can't even imagine the situations that occurred between the intervention by the cops and the day Brian left to go back to Florida.

Both of them seemed to be experiencing mental health crises. I have this horrible feeling that they fought many times during this period and Brian, true to form, took control of the van and left Gabby alone, extremely upset and took off.

How long he stayed away is unknown but what if when he returned Gabby wasn't there? What if she had been left for a couple of days, not knowing where he was, when he was coming back and without any means of survival? What if she died of dehydration? What if she inflicted wounds on her own body in her agony? What if he found her lifeless body and just left her there? Murder doesn't necessarily mean someone laid their hands on someone. Malice aforethought can also mean indifference to life.

Everything BL has done since his return to Florida reflects a level of guilt. Whether that is from actually murdering his girlfriend or just leaving her to stew in her own juices for an unknown period of time ends up with the same results. She's not here anymore.

Well, cause of death is "homicide.". "Murder" is a legal charge, and yes, it generally requires an affirmative act. However, homicide covers murder and other types of killings (whether intentional, planned, or otherwise), and you are correct that a homicide does not always require putting hands on someone.

However, "homicide" does mean that she didn't kill herself, and it wasn't a mere accident in the sense of no involvement on the part of another person.

(Minor side note: "malice aforethought" isn't the standard for murder everywhere, or in every situation of a murder charge.)

I agree totally, & I also think the way the stop turned out in his favour probably emboldened him greatly, & was something he could have weaponized in many ways to try & keep her in her place, afterward. JMO

Exactly. The way that one cop interrupted her and started talking about his “anxious” ex-wife probably made Gabby shrivel even further. She was surrounded by men who were jovial with Brian and making speeches to her about being emotional and were asking her about meds. Ugh. Poor thing probably thought, “They all think I’m crazy.”

I know one thing though.
If I had a neighbor that was somehow involved in a murder case and was missing their own child, I would not rent or allow the media to park on my lawn as it seems most of the Laundries closest neighbors have done.
Even if I couldn't stand them I would not do that.
Yet for some reason their neighbors have done just that.

No, there's been some distinct contrarian views about whether GP was abused at all. Odd Devil's Advocate type train of thought. IMO. I don't understand the denial.
I think we all bring our own experiences and assumptions to the table and fill in the blanks of the MANY empty spaces in this case from those perspectives. Some want more information in order to draw and settle on their own conclusions regarding the dynamics presented. Some are confident enough in the their own experiences to draw those conclusions more quickly.

I can see and appreciate both sides of the debates and have learned a lot about all sorts of things here. Who knew a jet could fly in flower patterns? That was just wild!

I am also personally fascinated by how my own thoughts and ideas have evolved, sometimes swinging back and forth, doing complete 180s and then 360s depending on the subject. Great for triggering ideas about things to look for and wonder about with this case.

Incredibly strange case, to me.

My opinion only.

Last edited:
Well, cause of death is "homicide.". "Murder" is a legal charge, and yes, it generally requires an affirmative act. However, homicide covers murder and other types of killings (whether intentional, planned, or otherwise), and you are correct that a homicide does not always require putting hands on someone.

However, "homicide" does mean that she didn't kill herself, and it wasn't a mere accident in the sense of no involvement on the part of another person.

(Minor side note: "malice aforethought" isn't the standard for murder everywhere, or in every situation of a murder charge.)
Manner of death = Homicide.
Cause of death = Unknown.

Why would his parents remove the camper from the pick up while they were camping. It looks like its on the stands in the picture taken at the campground. Are those stable enough to sleep in on those camper stands? why would they take it off if they were only there for 1-2 days? makes no sense to me.
jmo

I would hate to say who was in the right or wrong there. Isn't there a charge of 'Creating a public nuisance', which to me, is what those 'protestors' are doing?

Gabby left a Dyrt review at the July 26th for a visit in Feb/March (with family? So she counted the Laundries as family, assuming it was them and not JP or those in NYC). There were photos included with the review. That was linked to in a previous thread, but here it is again:

Review of Fort De Soto Campground | The Dyrt

It's weird that on some pages it says visited Feb and on others visited March.

Surveillance camera in the driveway

I suspect that is inaccurate. Thinking of a couple of probable examples .... imo

There was an argument on the street between a bullhorner and a neighbour, who appeared empathetic to the Laundries.

There has been flowers arrive at the home that were "for the Laundries" according to the delivery person.

(Links previously posted)

MOO That is not accurate IMO. I am not permitted to post that neighbor's accounting but it is out there on YT for anyone to see and form their own opinions. He explains what happened to him before and after. JMO/IMO

On one of the earlier threads someone suggested BL may never have hiked on the AT.

Gabby spent her 22th birthday with BL on the Appalachian Trail. She posted 2 photos on her Instagram on March 27, nine days after her birthday, that showed them out on the trail in Georgia. The caption of the photos read, “Went hiking for my bday #22.” The second photo showed Brian lazing around in a hammock by Gabby's art supplies.

Gabby Petito spent birthday on Appalachian Trail where Brian Laundrie may be 'hiding'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa