Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm racking my brain to come up with reasons the parents might report him missing, and there are a few that have already been discussed. But one thought is that maybe they think someone may have taken the law into their own hands? There was enough publicity at the time for that to be within the realm of possibility to someone who believes their child to be innocent.
I'm more cynical. I'm of the thought camp that it was bc the feds had arrived on the scene. MOO

Apologies for bringing up the camera footage again, and also if this has already been discussed (I really have tried to read all of the threads, but that’s a lot of screen time).

I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed something that has always bothered me about the Moab stop. I have now watched the first one three times, and the second one twice. Besides the obvious, I was having a sense that something else was off, and it finally just hit me today.

when the police (in my opinion very aggressively) explain to them the law and that “the aggressor“ has to be cited but not necessarily taken to jail, they do explain that it comes with a no contact order. From there the discussion goes in to who will stay where. Brian immediately suggests that he could camp, and asks them to take him into the park. The police explain that that is not a great alternative, because he would never make it back to town to fill out paperwork reversing the no contact order before the police station closed, and then he and Gabby would not be able to reunite until at least Monday. So, one officer goes about trying to arrange a hotel room for BL through a domestic violence nonprofit (and as far as I can tell, on that organization’s dime).

Then, the one officer talks to a supervisor, they discuss amongst themselves, one officer goes to ask GP about her intent, and they decide not to cite anyone but call it a mental health event, and still separate them (making the separation, if I remember correctly, not a legal requirement but rather a very strong suggestion—no citation=no no contact order).
IMO It is just very odd that they still take him to the hotel, paid for by DV org, considering they basically took back their original call of “it’s a DV situation and we are citing her.”
Additionally, in that instance, he could have camped because he wouldn’t have had to make it back to town to fill out paperwork (bc no citation).
I guess we could argue that it was all for simplicity, since at that point the room had likely already been booked, but it is still just really odd to me and rubs me the wrong way. MOO

not saying anything about LE’s handling of the situation here…just that the entire thing was very odd to me

I read here that the only shelter accommodation for female dv's there is a group type situation, while men typically go to hotels. Probably because there are way, way, way more female victims. Maybe they decided it was better for her to stay with all her belongings in her van than to put her into a group situation and leave Brian with the van. No idea if that's what happened, but it seem plausible to me.

MOO, he blew any involuntary defense by his subsequent actions. But, this does not stop a defense counsel from asserting it. MOO

JMO...This makes me think of the thing that's said , only 2 people know the truth and one of them is dead. Unfortunately, and I would hate if this happened, (but i can see it), BL could throw GP under the bus in his own defense, making himself the victim (flashback to Moab), or he could plea and avoid the whole circus and we will never know the truth.
IMO i think jury selection or anything like a trial will be difficult due to the publicity. But i'm not a lawyer, Just watch too much Ally McBeal. ;)

Thank you. I note that it states 'initial determination'. Can this be changed pending further further results?
Yes. But I don't think it will. The reason? Because I'd think they would have put "undetermined" at this time or "Pending". But, that's only my thought. I have no idea if they'd actually do this.

I'm racking my brain to come up with reasons the parents might report him missing, and there are a few that have already been discussed. But one thought is that maybe they think someone may have taken the law into their own hands? There was enough publicity at the time for that to be within the realm of possibility to someone who believes their child to be innocent.

One can report a person missing and get action if there is reason to believe that person is a danger to himself or others. The Laundries likely reported that BL was extremely agitated ,depressed and saying he wanted to kill himself. That he left without walket and cell phone also shows a mental distress though, really, given his predicament and media attention, Public opinion, of course he was on the brink. That he didn’t return for several days and was without those phone and wallet was sufficient reason , given his state of mind and circumstances to classify him as endangered.

I believe that she hadn't even uploaded that video to YouTube at the time of the LE stop. That video took a lot of work imo
It's confusing to me that she included shots from the trip to California in her video. It also indicates to me that she was having difficulties getting something together- maybe not enough video from the Van Life trip? I'm sure this was a big part of her stress.

I don’t know about all of you, but I’m getting a little tired of all the SM posts that say something like, “OMG, my cousin’s friend’s nephew’s BFF talked to BL on the Appalachian Trail last night and we’re totally sure it was definitely him and we’re freaked. ” C’mon people.
Yeah, I saw him at five different places yesterday. It's just because we're all looking for him now.

l
But right now all he is wanted for is bank fraud. If they know more, why have no additional charges been made?

Many reasons potentially. I'll see if I can find my comment from earlier today identifying a number of possible reasons. Basically, though, it's a solid strategy that suggests virtually nothing about potential future charges.

JMO...This makes me think of the thing that's said , only 2 people know the truth and one of them is dead. Unfortunately, and I would hate if this happened, (but i can see it), BL could throw GP under the bus in his own defense, making himself the victim (flashback to Moab), or he could plea and avoid the whole circus and we will never know the truth.
IMO i think jury selection or anything like a trial will be difficult due to the publicity. But i'm not a lawyer, Just watch too much Ally McBeal. ;)
There are Fed Rules of Evidence that would limit some of this IMO BUT, he could certainly use (and I expect his atty will use if a prosecution ever comes to pass) GP's own words from the body cam (edited: which, will be rebutted by prosecution's experts). MOO, IMO

The ME has to rule in or out all possibilities before disclosing cause of death. Evidence was obvious enough that he could rule Gabby died by homicide but as to exactly what caused her death, the ME has to rule out things that are not obvious before deciding what the evidence shows was the exact cause of death.
oh wait! a thought. . .IMO. Maybe they are withholding her actual cause because when and if they ever locate BL it may be a 'tell' so to speak if he implicates himself in the shake down. One of those 'only the killer would know' how she died. I do think they know very well her cause of death, other than a toxicology report which takes a while, her body is the actual crime scene. Sorry to be so direct. . They (FBI) are holding their cards close, and the FBI and the public is on a 'need to know' relationship, nothing more than that. JMO. speculation.

Its not really true that they are actually spending that much extra money. Just about everyone in on the hunt would have been getting paid anyway to do the jobs they are on the payroll to do. That aren't searching at night other than a few assets so they aren't running up a lot of overtime. Sure they have wear and tear and extra fuel costs for the equipment, but they already had the equipment. I don't think they went out and bought any expensive items for this. And they already have funds set aside for training that could be funneled to this. That $1.5 million figure, if correct, is more of a budget/accounting figure than an actual extra expensive.
and this is 6 days old.
Searches are very very expensive and very very resource intensive
Cost of search for Brian Laundrie estimated at nearly $1 million and counting

Thank you. I note that it states 'initial determination'. Can this be changed pending further results?
ETA - I had totally forgotten that the body had been in the open for quite some time (almost three weeks). It could not have been an easy task.
IMO, it's very rare. I recall one case where the MOD was changed from suicide to homicide - it was a cold case and I can't recall names ATM. I don't think it's at all likely to happen in this case. MOO

oh wait! a thought. . .IMO. Maybe they are withholding her actual cause because when and if they ever locate BL it may be a 'tell' so to speak if he implicates himself in the shake down. One of those 'only the killer would know' how she died. I do think they know very well her cause of death, other than a toxicology report which takes a while, her body is the actual crime scene. Sorry to be so direct. . They (FBI) are holding their cards close, and the FBI and the public is on a 'need to know' relationship, nothing more than that. JMO. speculation.

EXACTLY what the Palm Beach County Attorney stated last night on NewsNation. The clip is posted somewhere toward the end of the previous thread.

One can report a person missing and get action if there is reason to believe that person is a danger to himself or others. The Laundries likely reported that BL was extremely agitated ,depressed and saying he wanted to kill himself. That he left without walket and cell phone also shows a mental distress though, really, given his predicament and media attention, Public opinion, of course he was on the brink. That he didn’t return for several days and was without those phone and wallet was sufficient reason , given his state of mind and circumstances to classify him as endangered.

I'm sure they didn't expect the massive manhunt that has ensued. They probably thought they staged it well enough that LE would look for a day or two and then conclude he had walked into the swamp and killed himself and/or was consumed by wildlife. Then he'd just have to lay low for awhile while they worked on getting him fake ID. They'd move away and resume life as normal at a later date.

The following is simply my humble opinion with a few links tossed in for the veracity of my assumptions.

Dog stated a few days ago that the team of dogs he hired are sniffing for "adrenaline" that comes from one being on high alert while in a (constant) state of higher vigilance.

BL allegedly flew home to clean out storage on Aug 17, five days after the Aug 12 Moab incident, and back to Utah on the 23rd where Gabby checked out of the SLC Fairfield Inn near the airport on Aug 24. If this is confirmed, she was murdered just a couple of days later. So, did BL fly back to Utah in order to murder Gabby? And, in order to steal her bank cards?

Gabby Petito's Utah hotel, where she was last seen publicly, was 2 blocks from FBI field office: report

<modsnip: Wrong thread>

Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito

"Petito and her fiance were in Moab around the time of Aug. 12, the same day Petito posted images to Instagram of herself in Arches National Park. Moab police also responded to a “domestic problem” that day involving the couple that was later categorized as a disorderly conduct incident, records show.
No one was charged in relation to the incident, which was reported outside of Moonflower Community Cooperative in Moab, where Schulte worked."
Authorities rule out link between Gabby Petito case, couple killed in Moab

There is a specific reason for him traveling to FL on the 17th and returning to kill Gabby. I agree with John Walsh in that he beat her, strangled her and possibly stomped on her face because she would not stop talking. Did she know anything about the couples' murders and he feared she may tell on him?

With a clear conscious, I will unequivocally state, Gabby's murder was premeditated. He very well may be a serial killer. JMHOO

He's done several things that I feel were planned well in advance, including what he's doing at this very moment. Other than killing a precious human, his name is now known worldwide just as Chris Watts and Ted Bundy's are. I believe he quite enjoys his notorious claim to fame.

Sociopaths are like that in that they adore attention whether it's good or bad attention. He's playing Catch Me If You Can. The FBI got egg on their face when Dog tracked the Laundries to the campground 75 miles N of their home. Again, jmhoo.

He'll be a fugitive for a while because he planned this part, too.

Since the Big Lie told by CL on GMA has been revealed by Brian Entin, it further shows the Laudries possess a lack of respect for typical ethical behavior most of us live by.

#JusticeForGabby

Last edited by a moderator:
The king search for BL. Maybe he’s armed and dangerous? Maybe Gabby’s death was horrific? Maybe he threatened his family? We don’t know all that he has done. JMOO we will find out more later. I hope BL is brought in alive. This needs closure. If I were his parent I would be begging him to turn himself in! Better than going to his funeral. JMOO

...and when they find him, if alive (and i think he is ), they will hope to learn, whether he had anything to do with her death, and if so, was it involuntary manslaughter, like a crime of passion, or premeditation, or intentional. Am i right or watching too much ID TV?

The coroner ruled HOMOCIDE the day after she was found. Investigators do not care what he has to say IMHO. She did not homocide herself.

The quoted parts of that article are probably accurate about them dating in HS, but I wouldn't trust the writers analysis (or narrative) in that story. The writer stated, 'When the two graduated high school, Gabby moved in with Brian and his family in Florida'. But that isn't accurate. I don't know where BL lived between HS and moving in with his family in Florida but GP worked at a restaurant in Wilmington, NC from September 2017 to January 2019 before moving to Florida.

Friends of Gabby Petito remember her time living in Carolina Beach, working in Wilmington | CBS 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searching4Answers2