Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian Laundrie may have been spotted on Appalachian Trail
(Sighting hasn’t been confirmed at this time)
To Note:
•Dennis Davis, a Florida engineer is adamant he spoke with Brian Laundrie on a deserted road near the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina on Saturday morning.
•A lost and dazed man allegedly waved down Davis on Waterville Road, where the Appalachian Trail runs nearby the border of North Carolina and Tennessee.
•the man pulled his car up alongside Davis to ask for directions to California using only back roads and refused Davis’ suggestion to take nearby Interstate 40.
Despite the road being dark, Davis said the headlights from both idle cars were sufficient to see the man at such close range.

…..
•Davis is frustrated three calls to the FBI and 911 calls in both North Carolina and Tennessee have not been returned by law enforcement.
•“Law enforcement is probably getting millions of leads on this guy, but I am not some goofball out there doing drugs in the middle of the night, I am a highly educated professional.

I would think having a car would defeat the purpose of hiding out on the AT. And why would he just now be starting out for California? But maybe he figured out that trying to hide out in teh wilderness isn't the cup of tea he thought it was and acquired a car from an accomplice and just used California thinking it would throw someone off of his real destination. Sounds pretty implausible, but still possible.

I think a few recent articles and/or tips bear re-reading/re-visiting in light of the FL Engineer's sighting.

First, GP's friend Nikki's account of GP and BL's relationship and the episodes in which he hears voices... relevant due to the FL Engineer's account of BL having heard from his girlfriend. Brian Laundrie was controlling, had 'episodes': Gabby Petito pal

Now recall the 8/12 stop and discussions of their issues, her anxiety, his anxiety, etc.

Next, the increasingly aggravated BL, e.g. at Merry Piglets.

Next, the Tik-toker Welcometomeltalk who posted about the girls in the parking lot who saw someone looking like BL come out of the bushes saying he had lost his dog, and asking them to take his number. You'll have to search for her on Tik-tok, as I don't know how to link that here. She seemed to indicate that this person was "off." This was a little over a week ago in the Boone, NC area...

Finally, the CL Cassie interview in which she said "I assumed he was home, because that’s what he did when he was – actually, I don’t mean that." I'm not sure what she stopped herself from saying, but it gave me pause.

I think this article is interesting, as educational background that may or may not be relevant. https://www.health.gov.bc.ca/library/publications/year/misc/Psychosis_Identification.pdf

That's all I have. This is my first post. I hope it is within the rules. Please let me know if not.

Welcome!

I guess I just can't imagine a person on the run telling anyone that they were on the way to California (or any specific location).

I would more imagine them asking the way to Interstate 40 (or whatever route he needed), if lost.
If he had that good ole F50, he ought to be tooling along the panAmerican and be somewhere near Patagonia by now. Not faffing around in Tennessee.. especially, not around the AT, or the Smoky mountains trail....

From the article. If it really happened, the man in the bandana seemed to want to avoid main interestates:

The man believed to be Laundrie pulled his car up alongside Davis to ask for directions to California using only back roads and refused Davis’ suggestion to take nearby Interstate 40.

So, asking for pretty impossible directions then. Someone would know backroads all the way from TN to CA to tell him? And that he would remember (if the person actually Googled the way for him).

"Turn right onto Smith Road, make a left at Black Road, go 30 miles through to Jonesville, then make a right at the fire station ...... "

I imagine the person in the truck was a hoaxster.

IMO someone who is an engineer and a father is not typically the type to make up a story like this for attention or whatever.

I believe he had this conversation with some confused young man. Whether or not that was truly BL remains to be seen.

I hope it’s true, of course, as it is a current sighting. Here in NYC I see 50 BL lookalikes every hour, but none of them have had a conversation with me about a less detectable way to drive to another state.

What does give me pause is the concern noted by another poster, that Mr. Davis was hiking the AT but also refers to each of them having a vehicle.

I detest hiking, though, so I don’t know enough to know if having a vehicle while on a long hike makes any sense.

IMO someone who is an engineer and a father is not typically the type to make up a story like this for attention or whatever.

I believe he had this conversation with some confused young man. Whether or not that was truly BL remains to be seen.

I hope it’s true, of course, as it is a current sighting. Here in NYC I see 50 BL lookalikes every hour, but none of them have had a conversation with me about a less detectable way to drive to another state.

What does give me pause is the concern noted by another poster, that Mr. Davis was hiking the AT but also refers to each of them having a vehicle.

I detest hiking, though, so I don’t know enough to know if having a vehicle while on a long hike makes any sense.

Mr. Davis could be hiking in sections and arrived to his vehicle once he made it to his final stop.

I'm in TN. That whole half of the state is thick with wilderness and the further west you go out of the mountains, the milder the winter will be. I'm biased because it's where I've lived all my life but if I were going to hide in the woods, that's where I would go. Tons of hunting cabins to squat in or steal from too.

Thanks for that info -- my pulse rate is a couple of beats up...:cool:
But we've been-there-done-that before, so I'll calm down. Maybe.
Re-crossing my fingers.

So, asking for pretty impossible directions then. Someone would know backroads all the way from TN to CA to tell him? And that he would remember (if the person actually Googled the way for him).

"Turn right onto Smith Road, make a left at Black Road, go 30 miles through to Jonesville, then make a right at the fire station ...... "

I imagine the person in the truck was a hoaxster.
It's very possible. The story is everywhere and many mentions of it include the AT.

For sure, I have no doubt they do and could afford to buy it for him. Definitely more plausible than him running around with a backpack stuffed with cash and buying used cars. But also a difficult purchase and transaction for them to keep secret. They’re hot news - have to think someone would’ve thought to mention they’d sold them a car recently. Id be more tempted to think he might have access to it for other reasons rather than it being a recent purchase, I guess.

It’ll be very interesting to see if this sighting is taken seriously.
Well, MOO, FBI has been doing forensic analysis on their finances for at least a week if not more so if they do have money I'm confident LE knows. MOO

I'm thinking of the old and perhaps sexist adage about men never wanting to ask for directions. Then I'm thinking about this early AM sighting. I can't imagine why someone would want to make up such a thing and put their real name out there (Mr. Davis) if it wasn't true. And I cannot imagine someone in their right mind doing this (this being pulling someone over to ask for directions to California - sounds like the beginnings of a sad country song).

So, that leaves me with four options (my MOO idle speculation only):

1. Mr. Davis made it up

2. Someone who lives in that area was trying to behave like Brian Laundrie (after all, the story is everywhere) for ***** and giggles.

3. It was actually Brian Laundrie and he's actually gone over the deep end.

4. It was actually Brian Laundrie and he was executing a carefully (rolling eyes) move in the same way that he hitchhiked in the Tetons. As someone else said, setting up an insanity plea of some sort.
IMO….Who asks for directions anymore, especially at his age? Why would someone in his position (fugitive) ask for directions? Even if he couldn’t navigate via GPS on his phone (assuming he doesn’t have one) why would he ask a complete stranger
for directions instead of buying an old school road map or just following general signs (using basic geography) to his intended destination? Either this is a false positive or he’s just being a incompetent criminal again.

It would take Mr Davis all night to answer that question.. ... they'd both still be there the next day.
Risky to even ask that question...but saying CALIF doesn't mean anything...he just wanted to go way far west. The dumb girlfriend story is unnecessary, as were his blabbing to people who gave him rides about his fiancée back at the van doing her vlog thing..... that seems to be a pattern, adding unnecessary details. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500