GA - Former NASCAR driver John Wes Townley killed in shooting, Athens, 3 Oct 2021

How terribly sad. Prayers to the families. There is very little information in the article. They have not charged the shooter, and say it may be related to DV. Makes me think DV was going on and someone was defending the victim? Was the shooter intervening? Otherwise, I would think they would be under arrest?
Former NASCAR driver, son of Zaxby's co-founder killed in Athens shooting

Depends on which local news you read or what website, I guess. Too early for LE to make the call. Wiki says it is related to a home invasion still under investigation:
John Wes Townley - Wikipedia
Interesting.

Townley was shot and killed at his home in the Five Points area of Athens, Georgia, on October 2, 2021. The investigation is ongoing.

https://www.classiccitynews.com/pos...-zaxby-s-co-founder-killed-in-athens-shooting
[quote snipped] Laura Townley was residing at the Morton Avenue residence when the petition for divorce was filed, court records note.The divorce case was still pending when John Townley was killed.
Townley was said by sources to have been armed with an axe when he entered the house at 240 Morton Avenue and the Dunwoody man fatally shot him and Laura Townley was accidently struck by gunfire.
“I can’t confirm any of those details right now.” Barnett said Sunday afternoon. “We are not ruling out that this was potentially a self-defense case related to a domestic violence type incident. [quote snipped] Classic City News Athens

Last edited:
Altercation involving hatchet led to John Wes Townley shooting death

In 2019, John Wes Townley was charged with three misdemeanor counts, including family violence battery, after, according to court documents, he threw his wife to the floor and placed her in reasonable fear of the safety of her life. John Wes Townley pled guilty to disorderly conduct and was sentenced to 12 months probation.

Altercation involving a hatchet led to John Wes Townley shooting death, police say

Update: Hatchet used. Dunwoody man who shot JWT identified. Zachary Anderson, 32 of Dunwoody. This article states the divorce was recently finalized.

Update from article Athens Banner Herald Link Anove: Hatchet rather than ‘axe’ used. Man who shot JWT identified, Zachary Anderson, 32 of Dunwoody. This article states the divorce was ‘recently finalized’. And previously:
“In 2019, John Wes Townley was charged with three misdemeanor counts, including family violence battery, after, according to court documents, he threw his wife to the floor and placed her in reasonable fear of the safety of her life. John Wes Townley pled guilty to disorderly conduct and was sentenced to 12 months probation.”

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4