Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, thank you because I've never heard of check life 360? However, I will be looking into it.
Life 360 is great. If you have kids, a spouse who wanders off, someone who might have concerns about wandering off, like an aging relative. You can click on it and see where they are. They aren’t always 100% accurate, but it is a very good app. The free version is excellent, but there are also upgrades, depending on your situation.

Most parks close at dark with the exception of camping areas. Cars unattended after closing are considered abandoned. There is usually signage.
Cars are tagged if found after closing, severs as record for the first date. Usually a sticker with the date, a report completed. If the car is not removed within the given time, it could be towed.

I see tagged cars frequently on interstate.
Moo...
Right, I see what you're saying. What sticks with me though is that this was not a sticker but a filed incident report. Nearly all of it is redacted though so it must contain something relevant, else redactions (apart from identifying information) are typically not warranted. MOO

That is really a brilliant plan and I could see that happening, but who got him the apartment?

I think for BL to be outside during all these rainstorms we've been having in the south lately, it would be very unlikely he's living outdoors. It would be so incredibly hard for anyone, being soaking wet most of these last few weeks - he'd be wishing he was dead if he isn't already. I can't believe all the discomfort hasn't flushed him out by now.

I also think getting his father involved in the search is a big way for the FBI and LE to remind the parents 'we aren't going anywhere', and now you have to get involved or it sure looks suspicious. Reminding them of that is a good thing.

JMO
That’s what I was thinking!! Like he’s in rough shape if he’s alive in that swamp!
& this is JMO, <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
What I can't wrap my head around, and maybe those that ascribe to this theory can help me understand, IF the Laundries 'know' their son almost certainly went into the reserve (or elsewhere) to commit suicide, wouldn't that be the good time for them to shout from the rafters COME HOME! TURN YOURSELF IN! ?? They would look like they were involved in a positive way while knowing he'll never be caught.
On the flipside, if they're aware of him hiding, and want him to remain hidden, I would think they wouldn't want to chance him hearing them say "come home".
Am I just way over thinking things again?

I agree the parents may have been after BL after the traffic stop. She did get off the phone with them while in the LE cruiser just before she left in the van. I think she said to tell BL to remember to bring his charger because "He" is definetly dead! MOO
Do you have a timestamp for that? I don't remember hearing that so I'd like to go back and listen again. TIA

MOO - he got rid of her phone somewhere between Wyoming and Florida. A lake in Illinois, a river in Georgia, so many opportunities to dispose of that phone. Again, MOO.

Having driven over many awesome bridges with deep wide rivers I can imagine many opportunities to just toss something out the window and over the railing where it will never be seen again. But I can also imagine him driving all the way home in a daze and then when unloading seeing the phone and slapping his forehead in stupidity. And then head to the biggest swamp he could find to dump it.

In order for the warrant on the bank fraud use of her card to be valid, the FBI must believe that she was dead on or before Aug. 30th. Could have been as early as Aug. 27th, We just don't know yet. He was definitely NOT authorized to use her card after her death, even if he had permission when she was alive.
Funny you say the 27th. That's the date I came to. MOO

Have been mulling the "what happened" around for a while, reading others' thoughts. Here's what I think FWIW. I do think GP and BL had another argument, likely at the site where she was found. And I think that BL may have shoved her, she fell and her head hit a rock with enough force to cause skull fracture/death. Or, he grabbed her by her hair and jerked her hard enough to break her neck.

Either of these scenarios would be enough to call her death homicide because it would be unlikely she did either to herself. But not enough evidence to say it's murder, because either could have happened with no intent to actually cause harm. And BL on the run because he is sure no one will believe him, which is highly probable.
You can fall and hit a rock and it's not homicide.

Funny you say the 27th. That's the date I came to. MOO
I tend to agree with other posters who have said that he was mad at her for apologizing for him after he confronted the Merry Piglets restaurant staff. I think his domestic violence escalated and he killed her. It wasn't necessarily planned, and he didn't have a good plan once he'd done it.

I actually believe he went there to toss her phone to a Gator. It might not eat a phone on it's own, but if something were tossed to a Gator whose mouth was open, would it swallow first without asking questions?

That would be a fun idea for a creative writing assignment or movie script, but I just can't see anyone in the real world going through the effort it would take to bother doing this. Ignoring all of the preparation, assuming you found a gator big enough, assuming you managed to lure and hand feed this animal that isn't conditioned to being fed by humans like farm gators are, I still think most people understand that gators can't digest glass and metal. So a phone is just going to be passed in the animal's waste (that's assuming it doesn't cause an obstruction and kill the gator). Wouldn't it be easier to take the phone apart and throw the parts into a swamp? Or any remote location in the thousands of miles between coasts?

He (and his parents, assuming they knew the full story). was more concerned with not getting caught. He probably hoped she’d never be found, or be found many months later, as happens in many cases.

I still think the atty's initial plan was a strategic one: to have him remain silent and eventually plead him out in exchange for her location when the day came that they still could not locate her and the weather was turning. I do not believe Bertolino had any hand in BL's flight. He might have counseled them "Hey Wyoming has death penalty, and if Federal (if she was killed at Spread Creek), AG Barr brought death penalty back too" so if we hold out we can possibly plead that down. That might have been enough to spook him to run and not roll the dice on any plea. The Bethunes dashed that chance with their video evidence anyway, but I think he was gone prior to that. MOO. I don't think he's going to be charged with a capital offense anyway (MOO), but it's still a good bargaining chip for the govt to have in its pocket. MOO IMO JMO

Last edited:
I know, right? I do it. Both of my kids have my debit card and at least two of my credit cards stored in their electronic wallets. They also ask me to text them my card info if I want them to use a particular card they don't have for a particular purchase. I don't want their names on my account because I want to be able to both see and control what they spend and what they buy with my money, and because it's quicker and more convenient then constantly venmoing them large and small amounts of money. I figure no one's going to bother to prosecute them for it, and I would certainly hope that's not what the Feds would be wasting their time on. Actually, it kind of bothers me that they're using such a technical violation in this case, just like it bothers me when they use "lying" to the FBI as the basis for a prosecution where the "lie" is something that could just as easily have been an error or forgetfullness. Remember my peeps, "I don't recall" is your friend :D jmo
It's a way to bring him in and hold him on a lesser charge while they get their ducks together for a more substantial charge like murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa