Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #66

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know much about US law but is that not a conflict of interest? It is so odd to me also.
I’m not an attorney, but I watch a lot of legal commentary lol but I would think at the very least, it would end up being. However, what I don’t know is when that would apply, would Brian have to be found & charged for that to apply? I don’t know…

IF he abused her. See what I am saying? We don't know anything.
We know a girls dead, brutally and he’s the last person to see her alive. Forgive me but I can’t see this conversation being resolved or ending well, we’re clearly opposite ends and I know my mind won’t be changed. I’ll scroll past in future. MOO

I believe BL was in control of Gabby, but what I don't understand is, why then did he up and leave her behind and fly home to Fla.? That seems very odd for someone that was controlling another person. Gabby would have been free to do whatever she wanted and wouldn't that have driven BL sheer crazy?

Did he have the keys to the van, and did he have her debit card and any other methods of buying things? I guess knowing the answers to these questions might shed some light. I mean, she could have walked places from the hotel, but maybe her funds were severely limited, making a walk through town pointless. That’s pretty controlling, but that info isn’t available.

In the end, his behavior afterwards points to guilt. An innocent person would be outspoken and fight for their innocence.
I do think Brian is guilty but...

I think Brian would have panicked at the very idea of being locked up. Which he probably would have been until/unless he proved himself innocent. He didn't even want to go to a hotel, but told the police he would prefer to sleep outside. For some, being locked up equals death. He may have run rather than face that.

I think there are at least a few that I can conjure within the facts and alleged info we have available.

The thought behind my post and why I posed the question was to see if others had thoughts as well. If so, I would like to consider those, as well. Not sleuthing actual people, but theories about how others "could be" involved. Truly just curious. And MOO.
I've thought about this quite a bit. I cannot come up with anything logical that would bring in someone else as the cause of Gabby's death

I'm not seeing it.

"Laundrie appeared to have control over Petito's van because he was driving it; control over her finances because he reportedly used her credit card; and, ultimately, control over her because he "kept her isolated" by traveling to remote areas and camping"

I prefer my husband to drive. I share my credit card. I love to travel to remote areas. Trust me, I am not in any way controlled, lol!
Strangulation to death is the ultimate control, is it not?

I haven’t seen this brought up yet - it could have been & I missed it - so…sorry if it has lol. But I always thought it was strange how Gabby had so much anxiety in that body cam video about being separated from BL. She did not wanna stay by herself. Then BL leaves her alone in a hotel for roughly a week to fly home to Florida. #1 why would he do that when she has severe anxiety about staying alone. #2 maybe her anxiety was that she didn’t wanna take the van & stay alone in the van specifically? Idk but I thought that was kinda odd IMO. Like why would he be okay leaving her alone for that long? Idk…just a thought.

Right, absolutely true. I think we all know what happened here, hence the FBI charges, but they're using that as a means to bring him in. When 2 people are in a loving trusting relationship, often they share car keys, house keys, bank cards and so on. Some of that may not be "legal" but as long as no wrong doing takes place, it's all good. It's when things go south, the legalities come into play.

That's all true, but I disagree with that approach. I don't think LE should use selective law enforcement as a sword, in general, but that's jmo.

Something just hit me tonight. So GP’s Mom said how much the L’s loved her and RL was knitting a baby blanket for GP for the future.

OK……what if BL came home and told them everything, that he has killed GP. The L’s panic and call LE. We did hear about several 911 calls from the L’s home.

Then, what if he threatened his parents AND/OR threatened to hurt the grandchildren if they reported him to LE?

I’m sure there are probably plenty of holes in my theory….but maybe something similar to his may have happened? MOO

NOOOOOO... I had this post typed out earlier and hit reply only to have it send me an error because the thread closed. I hit save and have been patiently waiting. I came back and it's gone, UGHH. Let me reformulate.

Oh, it's happened to all of us! When I get that msg, I just go back and copy it -- it should still be there -- and then I just slam it into the next thread when it comes up.
And why is it always the longer ones, when this happens?! :eek:..:rolleyes:..:D

Snipped ALOT for brevity, but have reposted below. My responses in italics and red.
Well, then they should have been seen in the actual campground in Spread Creek - where many people had cameras.

Perhaps they were - we don't know what has not been made public.

Yet, the van was only seen about a mile away from the nearest neighbors. Gabby, who doesn't like outdoors, doesn't walk a mile to try and meet total strangers. They are in an illegal campsite and not near any other campers. The Bethunes would have been in that other campground as well.

I'm sorry - and I'm not being crass - but who tours in a van if they don't like the outdoors? The Bethunes passed the van in probably a minute - does not mean that someone else did not turn up after and/or they could have walked to mean G and B.

So there was no way to "leave Gabby". in safe hands that were a mile away. And in the legal campground, everyone can see and hear everyone else.

No - they met up near where she was found

Why did Brian make the turn onto that spur road, and park at a place that is not available for camping - but instead, for target practice and archery? Did either of them know they were camping illegally? They. sure did know that Dyrt.com said to camp in a designated space (or to join up with someone already on such a space).

No idea - is it relevant somehow? Trying to understand your thought process here.

Since there were never any other campers near Gabby, I don't think your theory works. There wasn't even a parking space for another set of campers.

They could have parked nearby?

Why does he not look right next to where their own (stolen) tent must have been? Because I do believe the reports that say there was evidence of them camping at Spread Creek. Did he leave Gabby without a tent, without a tarp, with nothing to sit on? Why didn't he get his flashlight and signal around and call for her? Then, wouldn't he have headed to the other campers (about a mile away) to see if she was there? Why would he just take off if he thought Gabby was socializing (and take her phone, van, and, apparently, all her things?)

No - he left her with the tent and just took the tarp. By the time he returned to the van and started looking and it was getting dark. He was not quite sure where the tent was. Or he thought she had left him? In this scenario - whoever killed Gabby has the tent, tent contents and phone - but wallet was left in van.

Or do you thisnk he offloaded her stuff right there, so she could find it later, took off and ravens got to it? I find that very improbable and I believe she would have been found sooner had he placed her phone and other things where she could find it. Did she have her wallet? Why isn't he willing to tell that? Why hasn't she used her own credit cards - did he take those cards out of her wallet BEFORE she went to socialize? Why?
See above - wallet in van - but I get your point. No Gabby should equal no wallet and if wallet in van, somethig has happened to Gabby.

I am for Occam's razor. He had her wallet and her phone, he had her credit cards and probably her Apple Wallet too.

How do you explain him walking to Colter Creek (he doesn't take off right away, the van is still there) and then hitchhiking back?

I did explain that in my theory - under hiking

Why not just open his eyes and see Gabby (who would have been quite visible) by walking a hundred yards or so and flashing a light - or waiting until broad daylight?
Because he thought she had left him

Wouldn't a. person alert authorities if their fiancée. appeared to have been kidnapped?
Not Kidnapped - she went of her own accord with others (but see comments in relation to wallet).
By the time he got to Spread Creek, it was still light out, (this is according to the second woman who dropped him off). I gotta ask though, who else would have personal access and a motive to her password-protected phone to have sent that misleading text to her mother on August 30, reading “No service in Yosemite” when Gabby never even left Spread Creek.. Who else would personally know that Gabby was in frequent communication with her mother and was updating her on their trip, and would need a reason to explain away the silence from her end so her parents don’t start ringing alarm bells… an unknown party wouldn’t go to the lengths or have any real motive or benefit of sending a fake text message to her mom, turning off her phone the next day, and dumping it ..

I haven’t seen this brought up yet - it could have been & I missed it - so…sorry if it has lol. But I always thought it was strange how Gabby had so much anxiety in that body cam video about being separated from BL. She did not wanna stay by herself. Then BL leaves her alone in a hotel for roughly a week to fly home to Florida. #1 why would he do that when she has severe anxiety about staying alone. #2 maybe her anxiety was that she didn’t wanna take the van & stay alone in the van specifically? Idk but I thought that was kinda odd IMO. Like why would he be okay leaving her alone for that long? Idk…just a thought.

Could be that and/or it's one thing to be voluntarily separated and another to have the police do it under less than ideal circumstances. jmo

The trip home could have been pre-planned or a family emergency could have occurred.
Her fear of being separated that day in Moab is more about the entanglement and desperation that ensues in co-dependant relationships. It was also in the height of a crisis which was unresolved at that stage.

Again "Stockholm syndrome" Gabby's "anxiety" could have completely or at least mostly (IMO) come from BL.

Thank you, Samsmom! Yes he truly needs to take his own advice and say " no comment.", Lolol. It is the changing stories all of the time that make them look so dishonest, imo.

SB's just not doing anyone any favors -- especially himself, IMO. The poor guy is out of his league, IMHO, but let him be SB.

I am not sure of the process - put does the arrest warrant (or whatever its called) not have to be served on B personally? So does the clock start ticking when its issued or does it need to be served first? Can the case proceed without him ? The process is quite different in the UK to the US. For example in the UK - there would be a warrant out for a suspects arrest - but he would not be charged until arrested physically.
In US Federal Court, an "indictment" is a charge. So yes, BL has already been charged. See here:

Indictment – #1 in United States v. Laundrie (D. Wyo., 0:21-cr-00113) – CourtListener.com

Based on that indictment/charge, a warrant was issued for his arrest. See here:

Warrant Issued – #9 in United States v. Laundrie (D. Wyo., 0:21-cr-00113) – CourtListener.com

No, the case cannot proceed until BL is arrested under the warrant. Once he is arrested there will be an arraignment proceeding during which BL will be officially informed of the indictment/charges against him. That is when the clock starts ticking.

Yes! This! Super strange. I’m not in my 20’s anymore, but when I was in my twenties I would have been hesitant to stay alone for a week, either by myself in a van or a hotel room in a strange city. The only thing I can think of is if they got in a fight and he just left to go to Florida and she didn’t want to drive home alone. JMO

IMO, she didn't want to be separated from Brian AND the van. One, she feared driving the van herself, and because of that Brian did most if not all of the driving. She may have also feared sleeping in the van without him, or camping alone if she pulled out the tent. I know I would fear sleeping alone in a van.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member