CANADA Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this story and couldn't help but think of Honey & Barry...fwiw (it happened Sept 27 2018 ya'll likely saw it back then.)

Violent Toronto home invasion solved by a band-aid that was left behind | The Province
No wonder the story was familiar, had started a thread for the case three years ago, thanks- now i can go update the thread!
Just noting, wrt the S's. imo,rbbm.
Toronto LE search for men posed as construction workers during violent home invasion,27 Sept 2018
''Yet, he was a bit of an enigma — the high school graduate attended York University before dropping out, had worked as a personal trainer and at Medieval Times, and was hired as a mentor in his Jane-Finch community.

He’s written a book while being held at Toronto South Detention Centre and is hoping to get it published.''

''With three years credit for pre-sentence custody, the violent home invader has 12 years and nine months remaining to think about how he beat up on a vulnerable senior — and how a bandage was his undoing.''

Last edited:
Not sure if mentioned previously, but a 'fire investigator' was called in to investigate the cause of this fire. I hope we will hear the outcome. I would've thought a brand new, still-being-built home in these days in the city of Toronto would use some kind of fire retardant products, so to me, it seems suspicious that the house went so devastatingly up in flames.

This home was said to have been a few doors down from the Sherman property. Interesting that the demolition of the previous house escaped our prying eyes. I don't believe there had been a vacant lot a few doors down at the time of the murders?

The Ontario fire marshal’s office has been notified after a three-alarm fire broke out at a house under construction in North York.
Fire breaks out at house under construction in North York - CityNews Toronto

A fire investigator has been called in to determine the cause of the blaze.
Fire breaks out at home under construction in North York - Toronto | Globalnews.ca

I can remember a few fires that started on homes being constructed due to proper welding procedures not being followed. (With open flame welding they have to wait X amount of time after stopping work at the site to make sure nothing has caught alight or is smouldering.)

But, no idea with this fire. The photos are incredible.

Not sure if mentioned previously, but a 'fire investigator' was called in to investigate the cause of this fire. I hope we will hear the outcome. I would've thought a brand new, still-being-built home in these days in the city of Toronto would use some kind of fire retardant products, so to me, it seems suspicious that the house went so devastatingly up in flames.

This home was said to have been a few doors down from the Sherman property. Interesting that the demolition of the previous house escaped our prying eyes. I don't believe there had been a vacant lot a few doors down at the time of the murders?

The Ontario fire marshal’s office has been notified after a three-alarm fire broke out at a house under construction in North York.
Fire breaks out at house under construction in North York - CityNews Toronto

A fire investigator has been called in to determine the cause of the blaze.
Fire breaks out at home under construction in North York - Toronto | Globalnews.ca

While the fire could be of suspicious origin, the house, like most residential structures in the US and Canada, probably had wood framing as its primary structural system. The exterior was probably stone veneer anchored to wood framing. The use of wood framing would account for the spread of the fire. Fire retardant or non-combustible materials are usually used in commercial buildings. Even luxury homes usually use wood framing. That said, soldering metals, like copper piping or roof flashing has caused devastating fires, by igniting wood. So we’ll wait and see what the cause of the fire is.

No wonder the story was familiar, had started a thread for the case three years ago, thanks- now i can go update the thread!
Just noting, wrt the S's. imo,rbbm.
Toronto LE search for men posed as construction workers during violent home invasion,27 Sept 2018
''Yet, he was a bit of an enigma — the high school graduate attended York University before dropping out, had worked as a personal trainer and at Medieval Times, and was hired as a mentor in his Jane-Finch community.

He’s written a book while being held at Toronto South Detention Centre and is hoping to get it published.''

''With three years credit for pre-sentence custody, the violent home invader has 12 years and nine months remaining to think about how he beat up on a vulnerable senior — and how a bandage was his undoing.''

They sound like credible suspects for the Sherman case.

They sound like credible suspects for the Sherman case.

I don't see the same MO in this home invasion compared to the Sherman's case.

-The victim was badly beaten unlike the Shermans.
-The victim seemed to be subjected to a sexual assault.
-The victim was not killed, let alone staged.
-LE stated it was a random attack (versus a targeted double murder)
-LE publicly released video surveillance of the suspects.

What is relevant is that TPS obtained surveillance video of these suspects and made it public, yet TPS has never shared the videos capturing the "significant people in the neighbourhood" (the Sherman home) as stated by Susan Gnomes in her Jan. 26/2018 presser. I'm pretty sure that means that they don't need the public's help in identifying the people in the videos for whatever reason, and I'm sure they have good reasons for not releasing the surveillance evidence.

But I think we can surmise that it wasn't the perps in the later home invasion. jmo

(7:24)

Assuming that the TPS is waiting to have a solid case before laying charges, I think we may be waiting a long time .
I think we can all agree that whoever the perpetrators are, they were extremely careful in planning and completion of the crime.

It is likely that one of the people involved in the crime will have to come forward and testify against the others. If those people live overseas and/or active criminals that is not likely to happen.

This may be one of those cases where the TPS are pretty sure who did it, but not enough evidence to prove it.

Barry and Honey Sherman’s bodies were found posed like the sculptures in their basement
The garbage sculptures in the basement may have served as inspiration for the staged body placement after they were killed. Also noted, the property photos were listed online a before the murder which gave the killer or killers access to the home's layout. A door and window were found open which could've been where the perpetrator entered before Honey came home.

Barry and Honey Sherman’s bodies were found posed like the sculptures in their basement
The garbage sculptures in the basement may have served as inspiration for the staged body placement after they were killed. Also noted, the property photos were listed online a before the murder which gave the killer or killers access to the home's layout. A door and window were found open which could've been where the perpetrator entered before Honey came home.
Actually I think: Which hitman would do this: staging the murdered couple like the art figures in an anteroom? It would fit better, if the one, who hated and despised the couple for their whole being inclusive their taste, would do it himself.

PS: As I have no experience with hitman (and won't have in my lifetime), I ask: Would a hitman carry out the murder only or can he be obliged to do a staging like the clients want it to be done?? - Would be nice to know. Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
Actually I think: Which hitman would do this: staging the murdered couple like the art figures in an anteroom? It would fit better, if the one, who hated and despised the couple for their whole being inclusive their taste, would do it himself.

PS: As I have no experience with hitman (and won't have in my lifetime), I ask: Would a hitman carry out the murder only or can he be obliged to do a staging like the clients want it to be done?? - Would be nice to know. Asking for a friend.

For enough money most people including 'hitman' will do anything. The 'staging' points to some sort of personal relationship between deceased and the perpetrators of the crime. When both parents are found victims of homicide in their own home, Historically, there is a very high likelihood of family involvement.

For enough money most people including 'hitman' will do anything. The 'staging' points to some sort of personal relationship between deceased and the perpetrators of the crime. When both parents are found victims of homicide in their own home, Historically, there is a very high likelihood of family involvement.

I agree about the personal relationship motive. Because of the line of succession being so much money and the detailed staging. Only an expert/serial killer with lots of experience would leave such a clean crime scene. Possibly a contracted assassin instructed to not make a mess and leave blood splatter, etc. Bullets can be evidence so the ligature was chosen out of necessity. Also them mirroring their own sculptures makes a mockery of their lifestyle, taste, style and collector status. Seems like a jealous person with a methodical eye and OCD. Someone who enjoys the art of the kill and antagonizing investigators. They didn't take the bodies/evidence of how they were killed. They didn't destroy that evidence. Possibly out of respect for the family and the tradition of a Jewish burial. Took their lives but allowed for bodies to be mourned over and be layed to rest. If the motive was competition in the big pharma world, they probably would've taken the bodies and destroyed all evidence via cremation, dismemberment, sacrifice, torture, etc. Probably didn't drive there because the car would've been seen in surveillance on the block. I imagine them waiting behind a bush in the front yard to follow as they walked in the door or jumped the fence and let themselves in the back. They knew there was an alarm that would probably be set at night so coming in as it was disengaged was clearly thought out. Most intruders come in when people are sleeping to surprise them before they get to their gun safe. But this expert knew their schedule and considered the alarm ahead of time. The pool placement and matching Canadian Tire belts around their necks are curious too. The pool being the most remote place in the house, it would allow for more time to pass before they're discovered by hired help. More time to distance themselves from the scene before TPS discovered the victims. Lights were off but pool lights were on. Probably was plenty of light to stage a crime scene. The fact that their wrists were tied seems like they were threatened with a gun to comply, then strangled and moved downstairs after they were deceased. One by one. I feel like Honey was a liability and was killed as a result of being home before the main target was, Barry. And she could've continued her husband's affairs after he died. Someone wanted control of everything and to punish them for their excess. There's definitely a financial motive and also a lot of revenge. But they gave the family their Jewish burial. Almost like they didn't want to deal with the consequences of their actions and dispose of their crimes. They wanted everyone to see what happens when you're rich and powerful. Not in an antisemitic way but a 'you have too much' and I don't kind of way.

Oct 15 2021
Barry Sherman’s Apotex has paid $100 million to answer U.S. price-fixing allegations and agreed to help investigate competitors
''Apotex, the generic drug company that murdered billionaire Barry Sherman built, has recently paid almost $100 million (U.S.) to the U.S. government and the state of Texas over allegations it conspired with competitors to hike prices of popular drugs. And the other 49 states are in court alleging Apotex and other firms have engaged in a widespread pattern of price fixing.

In the U.S. government case, Apotex admitted to a conspiracy to “suppress and eliminate competition,” escaping a criminal conviction that would likely have barred it from the lucrative American market, according to the U.S. Justice Department. As its part of the deal, Apotex must co-operate with investigations of rivals, including recording telephone conversations, introducing law enforcement to sources, or testifying before a grand jury, documents filed in court say.''

Oct 15 2021
Barry Sherman’s Apotex has paid $100 million to answer U.S. price-fixing allegations and agreed to help investigate competitors
''Apotex, the generic drug company that murdered billionaire Barry Sherman built, has recently paid almost $100 million (U.S.) to the U.S. government and the state of Texas over allegations it conspired with competitors to hike prices of popular drugs. And the other 49 states are in court alleging Apotex and other firms have engaged in a widespread pattern of price fixing.

In the U.S. government case, Apotex admitted to a conspiracy to “suppress and eliminate competition,” escaping a criminal conviction that would likely have barred it from the lucrative American market, according to the U.S. Justice Department. As its part of the deal, Apotex must co-operate with investigations of rivals, including recording telephone conversations, introducing law enforcement to sources, or testifying before a grand jury, documents filed in court say.''

Thank you (!!!)

I’m not up to putting my full attention on the article yet, but scanned it briefly. I vaguely remember talk of Barry Sherman telling someone about publicly (writing?) about his plan to share big pharma secrets prior to the murders.

I think there are links to back this up, but for now it’s IMO.

ETA: ( I have a headache, bear with me.)

He then founded Apotex on his own in 1974, the origins of which he described in ‘chapter five’ before the manuscript’s abrupt end.

“We followed this plan and it worked. (A lot more to come.),” he wrote.

The remaining chapters, which are listed in Sherman’s index with such names as “The Insatiable Cartel,” “Animal Farm,” and “Going for the Kill,” are not contained in the draft.”
Barry Sherman wrote frankly about atheist convictions in unfinished memoir

^^ the above is from his older, unfinished biography…still trying to find the link I’m thinking of.

Last edited:
With the time elapsed with no arrest, I'm beginning to think this will never be solved. I hope I'm wrong.
It all depends how you define solved. Proven in a court of law beyond a reasonable doubt; quite possibly that may never happen. A number of people, including police investigators knowing who was the mastermind, quite likely. (See the Nicole Brown, Ron Goodman murders.)

Last edited:
Oct 15 2021

Since all these criminal activities happened under Barry's watch, and very likely, based on his management style, he was very aware of these activities, to some people his legacy and memory are being eroded.

There had been some reference to the fact some family members were feeling that Barry was 'losing it'. Were they feeling that this criminal activity was a sign of this lack of good judgement?

Secondly was the method of death and staging of the bodies, a sign of displeasure with Barry's corporate behavior?

Or were the perpetrators even aware of the Price Fixing?

From a very long, older article. I think it’s relevant to the recent story. Out of all the police interviews, JS’s was the most heavily redacted. Note: he fired Jack Kay and told the Star that he wants to fire Glasenberg bbm:

“Nothing appeared to have happened regarding that succession discussion request in 2015. In my interview with Jonathon, he said he had distanced himself from his father’s many businesses in the two years leading up to the murders. Jonathon told the homicide detectives the same thing, according to portions of his police interview released by the courts as part of a Toronto Star challenge to unseal search warrant documents. So removed was he from the business, he told detectives who conducted a videotaped interview with him during the shiva that if they wanted to learn about his father’s business, Jack Kay and Alex Glasenberg were the ones to speak with.

The issue of succession was raised again in late 2017. Barry was facing some difficult financial issues at Apotex and by email he and Jonathon were discussing a potential meeting to fill Jonathon in. Barry was intending to bring Jack Kay, his right-hand man. Jonathon wanted to bring Paulin.
On Oct. 27, 2017, Barry wrote: “I don’t want to meet with you and Adam,” adding, “you are my son.” Jonathon responded that he wanted to bring Paulin to the meeting, noting that Barry’s second-in-command at Apotex, Jack Kay, would be present. In his email, Jonathon referred to himself as the “heir apparent” to the Sherman fortune. Barry replied that yes, “you are my son and heir to the empire” but he complained of Jonathon’s “unwillingness and apparent disinterest” over the years in the Apotex business. Barry added that Jonathon’s “hostility persists,” but there is no explanation in the email as to what the Apotex founder was referring to. Jonathon wrote that if they have the meeting, “it will be with Adam present.” The meeting never took place.”
Many lined up at the ‘Bank of Barry’ Sherman: Inside the $10 billion succession battle

From a very long, older article. I think it’s relevant to the recent story. Out of all the police interviews, JS’s was the most heavily redacted. Note: he fired Jack Kay and told the Star that he wants to fire Glasenberg bbm:

“Nothing appeared to have happened regarding that succession discussion request in 2015. In my interview with Jonathon, he said he had distanced himself from his father’s many businesses in the two years leading up to the murders. Jonathon told the homicide detectives the same thing, according to portions of his police interview released by the courts as part of a Toronto Star challenge to unseal search warrant documents. So removed was he from the business, he told detectives who conducted a videotaped interview with him during the shiva that if they wanted to learn about his father’s business, Jack Kay and Alex Glasenberg were the ones to speak with.

The issue of succession was raised again in late 2017. Barry was facing some difficult financial issues at Apotex and by email he and Jonathon were discussing a potential meeting to fill Jonathon in. Barry was intending to bring Jack Kay, his right-hand man. Jonathon wanted to bring Paulin.
On Oct. 27, 2017, Barry wrote: “I don’t want to meet with you and Adam,” adding, “you are my son.” Jonathon responded that he wanted to bring Paulin to the meeting, noting that Barry’s second-in-command at Apotex, Jack Kay, would be present. In his email, Jonathon referred to himself as the “heir apparent” to the Sherman fortune. Barry replied that yes, “you are my son and heir to the empire” but he complained of Jonathon’s “unwillingness and apparent disinterest” over the years in the Apotex business. Barry added that Jonathon’s “hostility persists,” but there is no explanation in the email as to what the Apotex founder was referring to. Jonathon wrote that if they have the meeting, “it will be with Adam present.” The meeting never took place.”
Many lined up at the ‘Bank of Barry’ Sherman: Inside the $10 billion succession battle

What caught my attention, was that JK telling the TPS he was far removed from the business, and Jack Kay and Alex Glassenberg were the ones to speak with. Yet these are the two gentlemen that JK wanted to fire. It seems odd to me if you know little about Apotex, and the two guys who know
supposedly he wants to fire. In fact he did fire Jack Kay.

JS must have some significant knowledge about the business, if he felt Jack Kay was not suitable to run the business and had to be fired.
As long as Barry and his people were running Apotex, the company was not going to be sold. Yet we know that is what JS wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greygooose