Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I don't think that means they can force their lawyer to bring them to the police station at x time. That's what the original post said. But even if they were somehow legally detained, no one has to answer questions posed by LE. So I'm just not seeing what could or should have been done with the Laundries.

JMO

I agree. The police can’t force anyone to talk. Having a lawyer on speed dial definitely deters LE questioning.

However, police can place surveillance on anyone, for any reason, and observe them in public places. e.g. Park by their house, follow on public roads, observe in public places, etc.

Florida does like to be confusing in their names, lol. I think it’s irritating enough they came up with both Brevard and Broward counties.

IIRC, CL joined the FBI agents in the Reserve about 4 weeks after Gabby disappeared. That’s not exactly tearing up the turf.
I'm trying to imagine what the Laundries would have said to Gabby's family, had they taken their calls, if they knew what actually happened to her and didn't lie. What would one say? Hello! Brian just informed us he killed your Gabby and threw her out like garbage? Just hand the phone to BL? If it were my son, I would have called police. I couldn't do what the Laundries may have done. I would hope, even if I was hysterical, I could find the strength to call the family and try and tell them. I don't think I would be able to talk, but maybe I could at least make the effort. Maybe I could show I cared.

In FL, that is not true.
Can a Florida Law Enforcement Officer Detain You Without Arresting You?
Under Florida law, based upon reasonable suspicion that you may be involved in criminal activity, a police officer may require you to identify yourself and explain your presence at a particular time, without arresting you. Under Florida law the officer may not remove you from the immediate vicinity without making an arrest, unless you voluntarily accompany the officer to some other location.
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Thank you.

I find it highly unlikely GP's parents did not know where Gabby lived. The missing person report filed by Gabby's mom lists the Laundries home as her address. Gabby's father also sent LE to that same address, not the address of some condo. We also heard from CaL that she, her husband, GP and BL lived together at the Laundrie house until CaL and her husband moved into their own home at which time the parents moved back into the house with GP and BL.

I don't think The Sun is a reliable source and I'm not sure Rose is a reliable narrator. When I hear from Gabby's parents or LE that BL and GP lived in a condo, I'll believe it. jmo

I know this was many pages back, but thank you. I read the article, seemed kind of "unsourced" really. I think I'm going to ignore the "condo" story until further information proves it.

The links that were provided last night said it had sold July 30th. I had commented that it's not unreasonable to see that with a 30 or 60-day escrow the timing would have landed just right for them to have to move the things out of the condo. (or out of the storage unit in the condo).

The other thing to consider is when Brian and Gabby left her there van life, the Laundrie's may not have expected the condo to sell as quickly as it did.

I believe you're referring my posts so bringing them forward from the previous thread. I mentioned these very things about the escrow and possible storage on site. I also pointed out that people are often caught off guard when their property sells far more quickly than expected. It certainly makes sense that a fast clean out would have taken place with BL flying home to help if they'd been living there. MOO.
Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #67

Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #67

ETA further links

Last edited:
Neither parent started contacting the Laundries until the 10th.

Interviewer
Did you ever reach out to her and say "can you please help me find my daughter?"

Gabby's mum
Yes I reached out to her on Friday the 9th or the 10th I'm sorry. I texted her "I'm worried about the kids, I haven't heard from them" and I got nothing. Called left messages, got nothing.

Interviewer
She won't even call you back?

Gabby's mum
Nope.

Interviewer
And Joe you and Tara, you've reached out and they won't call you back?

Gabby's dad
We've called on the 10th, I can't tell you how many times. We sent text messages "We're worried", "we're calling the police". I mean if someone texted me that they're calling the police because they can't find my son, I'm gonna drop whatever I'm doing to call back. I guess it's evident how they run their household.

Step-mum
She knew her son was home that time when we were texting her. At that point we didn't know that he was home.

Interview with Gabby's parents
Thanks for the timeline. I am not supporting the Laundrie’s actions, just thinking it is possible they did not know immediately. Moo

I agree. The police can’t force anyone to talk. Having a lawyer on speed dial definitely deters LE questioning.

However, police can place surveillance on anyone, for any reason, and observe them in public places. e.g. Park by their house, follow on public roads, observe in public places, etc.

Of course. The "sub-thread" had to do with making the Laundries' lawyer bring them to the police station. And there was an implication that they shouldn't have been "allowed" to avoid talking. It wasn't about whether they could be surveilled in public places. Now there may be limits to even that but that wasn't the question. And as far as we know, the parents have been surveilled.
JMO

I have a question for any of our wonderful lawyers. Here's the relevant US Code about civil and criminal jurisdiction in National Forests:

16 U.S. Code § 480 - Civil and criminal jurisdiction

It reads:

The jurisdiction, both civil and criminal, over persons within national forests shall not be affected or changed by reason of their existence, except so far as the punishment of offenses against the United States therein is concerned; the intent and meaning of this provision being that the State wherein any such national forest is situated shall not, by reason of the establishment thereof, lose its jurisdiction, nor the inhabitants thereof their rights and privileges as citizens, or be absolved from their duties as citizens of the State.

I have always taken this to mean that unless the offense is against the US Government, in National Forests, cases are tried by the People of the state in question (in Gabby's case, the People of Wyoming).

I am looking at a case where a serial killer committed all his murders in national forests - he was tried by the State in each case (three states) not in federal court (FBI criminologists were heavily involved in helping out, though). Right now, BL's crimes are against Federal codes (banking laws), but I do believe that when murder charges are brought, it will be by the State of Wyoming.

Thoughts?
IANAL, but I agree with your interpretation of 16-480. I also find it curious that a document was filed to a docket in Teton County District Court. That's a state court in Wyoming, not federal.

Of course. The "sub-thread" had to do with making the Laundries' lawyer bring them to the police station. And there was an implication that they shouldn't have been "allowed" to avoid talking. It wasn't about whether they could be surveilled in public places. Now there may be limits to even that but that wasn't the question. And as far as we know, the parents have been surveilled.
JMO

Was LE surveilling BL?
Should they have been after the 911 calls in FL?

No no I’m taking about the parents’ desire for vengeance. There was a link posted on it. Apparently the families had a very long standing relationship. The original post was taking about Gabby’s parents’ desires for these things, not the protestors. They are an odd bunch.
Do you have a link showing that the families had a long standing relationship? That issue is driving me crazy! I can't even seem to find something that verifies they were neighbors! It would certainly impact the dynamics depending on their relationship.

Thanks for the timeline. I am not supporting the Laundrie’s actions, just thinking it is possible they did not know immediately. Moo
I understand. I responded with the interview because you were unsure of the date Gabby's family first contacted the Laundrie's.

I like to provide links etc. to support my answers. It can get confusing sorting through fact from fiction.

I have a question for any of our wonderful lawyers. Here's the relevant US Code about civil and criminal jurisdiction in National Forests:

16 U.S. Code § 480 - Civil and criminal jurisdiction

It reads:

The jurisdiction, both civil and criminal, over persons within national forests shall not be affected or changed by reason of their existence, except so far as the punishment of offenses against the United States therein is concerned; the intent and meaning of this provision being that the State wherein any such national forest is situated shall not, by reason of the establishment thereof, lose its jurisdiction, nor the inhabitants thereof their rights and privileges as citizens, or be absolved from their duties as citizens of the State.

I have always taken this to mean that unless the offense is against the US Government, in National Forests, cases are tried by the People of the state in question (in Gabby's case, the People of Wyoming).

I am looking at a case where a serial killer committed all his murders in national forests - he was tried by the State in each case (three states) not in federal court (FBI criminologists were heavily involved in helping out, though). Right now, BL's crimes are against Federal codes (banking laws), but I do believe that when murder charges are brought, it will be by the State of Wyoming.

Thoughts?

I have a great link for an attorney who came out and spoke on this. He explained that because GT is considered Federal Land, it is pretty likely that it will be in the hands of Federal prosecutors. The state can fight to handle it, but in the end it's most likely the Federal end will get it. He also stated he would be tried in WY. All his opinion from the video.

The Laundries knew BL flew home and back to Utah.
The Laundries knew BL returned with the van but without Gabby.
The Laundries knew whatever story BL told them.
The Laundries knew the Petitos were very concerned and had not been able to communicate with Gabby.

I know this was many pages back, but thank you. I read the article, seemed kind of "unsourced" really. I think I'm going to ignore the "condo" story until further information proves it.

it's still curious though

this is the neighbour I was referencing many pages back. okay, she's just a neighbour who could be mistaken but....

Was LE surveilling BL?
Should they have been after the 911 calls in FL?

NPPD said they were but it doesn't be seem that way. Perhaps they should have been surveilling BL but not because of the 911 calls. (We know very little about what those 911 calls actually involved.) Regardless the goalposts have shifted again. The question is was originally about the parents and about the parents being forced to talk to police. Not about BL.
jmo

I think the fact that the Laundries have shown ZERO sympathy about Gabby’s death is really what is fueling the public backlash. It is cruel, heartless and appears very guilty… not to mention all of the other odd behavior.

1. They could at the very least acknowledge Gabby’s death and offer condolences to her family. They could lay wreath at her memorial. They don’t even have to say a word.

2. Encourage BL to turn himself in for the federal bank warrant and POI in her murder.

3. Or, come out and say that they believe that BL is dead if they really believe that to be true.

MOO
Are they not talking to the FBI and local LE...it is my impression that they have been. There are many people who don't feel a need to perform acts on command by other people, and that doesn't make them bad people. Everybody is different.

My ex and I had a fully customized full size van that we would take trips with. We'd sleep in it while traveling to a destination, not for a van life.

If I hadn't seen this Transit van in person I would have thought a real van, not a work van and it was barely enough for one person, such as Gabby's van.

If this is what they were doing on a nightly basis, I would have called a lawyer on my way home to file for divorce. But I suppose it's different when one is young and in love. jmo
The transit van is very popular, in a cool way, among young vanlifers, imo. While one with an extended wheelbase is bigger, think of theirs as a starter house, literally.

I am nearly positive they very much loved all of it, it shows in the way they customized it and poured their heartand soul into the upgrades and aesthetics.

Simply darling and quite efficient for just getting started. They had been in a car. MOO.

Are they not talking to the FBI and local LE...it is my impression that they have been. There are many people who don't feel a need to perform acts on command by other people, and that doesn't make them bad people. Everybody is different.
We have no proof that they are cooperating with FBI. Jmo

Assuming you and/or your child had money for an attorney.

There are legal assistance programs in nearly every state and county - and as I said, many criminal defense attorneys do the first consult for free.

It might cost as much as $200 in the few places that don't have established criminal defense attorneys (very low population density places). But for 90% of Americans, they can easily find a free criminal defense consult (it's quite a competitive business, although one might have to drive to the County seat).

Then, if the person cannot afford an attorney, they will be appointed one. In the meantime, the idea is to interview some attorneys, collect some business cards and then hand one of those cards to LE.

I don't know what to say if a person isn't able to exercise their right to remain silent until they can get a court-appointed attorney, but my suggestion still stands: go attorney shopping, get some free advice. Most courts actually have a list of firms that will do this (and this is true for most legal matters...)

It's to my understanding there was not very much cooperation, if any, in the beginning. I see a little now, but certainly not much. Doing something on command does not make you a bad person. Ignoring LE, GP's parents when your son is home safe and his "Fiancé" is apparently "somewhere" in the country with no vehicle, and there are people wanting to know where she is when your son was the last known person to be seen with her....kind of does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther