Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised that Gabby's body was found so fast or found at all.

That BL did not anticipate the van being spotted and video taped is another indication that BL was more a tourist and traveler than outdoorsman. BL would not have disposed of Gabby's body next to a popular campground with traffic. There are literally millions of acres of empty public land in the region much riddled with roads of various standards. BL is not the practical outdoorsman.

Urban people tend to have a much different perception of the "wilderness" (as opposed to legally designated "Wilderness"). I live on a National Forest inholding about 85 miles from the nearest stoplight. This is my home though lived much of my life elsewhere. In my teens and 20s worked locally for the USFS (69-81).

At one point there was much media coverage of the idea that marijuana growers were invading the National Forests. There was some truth but in general the growing of pot on the NFs was overblown (and continues to be today, most California pot is and has been grown on private not public lands. But urban refugees for a time would occasionally show up ready to farm from what was said in the media). One situation was comical. The Ranger District was roughly 300,000 acres and 99% federal ownership. These clowns showed up and went out the county road to the dump, thought they were in the wilderness, and cleared a farm and started living about 200 yards from the paved county road. The county road was the alternate route "upriver" to the State Highway on the other side of the river. Where they set up, was smack dab in the middle of what passes for a neighborhood locally and a within concentration of the rare private property intermixed with NF. It was maybe 3 miles from a small town of 600 (with USFS office). Anyone who went to the dump could see multiple vehicles parked on the road and locals could figure out exactly what was going on. There are literally of 100s of miles of now former logging roads to access the NF where one can drive for a day and maybe see no or several at most vehicles, slightly more during hunting season. Finally they did get busted in a major way but not until county and federal LE looked liked major fools to the locals. This is what I mean by different perceptions of what is wilderness.

This is why IMO it is nonsense BL is living off the land in a Florida swamp or walking the AT. One that would be hard and difficult compared to uncountable alternatives. Second is that BL just does not show anywhere that he has the skills. If BL is in the Florida swamp, he is a suicide.

Alternatively, there are many remote areas and cultures where BL could hide among people. For example, this time of year is the time for pot harvest (virtually all grown on private lands, some legal and some illegal). Each Fall there is a migration of folks who are called trimigrants. Trimigrants manicure harvested pot for sale or manufacture into refined products. Much is done on cash basis and people often use made up names like Rainbow or Swamp Gas or Emmett. Folks come from all over the USA and internationally to be trimigrants.

Let me be surprised and see BL found.

Great information so thank you.
If he's still in that reserve, I also think he went to kill himself. *

Agree on the body disposal site. I also live in a national park in UK and just next to what you'd probably call preserves. There are few true wildernesses here but we have had murders here where no body has been found, just tiny fragments because the local perp knew how & where to dispose of the body.
On the topic of suicide, we've also had unfortunately a couple of cases ( including high-ranking LE!) who climbed mountains here with a few bottles of alcohol in order to go easier through hypothermia.

Anyway, enough of that.
Why do you think he didn't bury her? Do you think he really thought that animals would remove all her remains or he just panicked?

ETA* one caveat on intent to commit suicide. I don't understand why he'd need to take a large back pack ( as described, with a waist strap iirc) if he had made a decision to go into the Reserve to commit suicide

Last edited:
Telegram is the go to smartphone app for secure messaging for the average person.

What is Telegram and why should I use it?
A related question. If LE was monitoring the Laundries' phone and/or internet use, could they tell what apps were in use? And could they tell what browser websites had been accessed?

What I'm getting at is, would using a browser rather than an app make it untraceable? Obviously some programs, like probably Telegram, are only available as an app, but others such as Twitter or Facebook can be used without the app, just as a webpage. Just curious if one way is less traceable than the other.

You left out the most likely reason her body is where it was and not down a crevice somewhere out of the way. MOO it wasn't planned out. It happened there or very near that spot. He panicked and ran away from the creek and the van, and didn't come back until a day or two later to get the van before he drove home.
I agree. He had been angry and argumentative for a weeks, it seems to me. But at this point, they were both in a more remote location, possibly upon a hike together, hoping to work things out together.

Sadly, it didn't work out that way. Something triggered him once again, and maybe she threatened to leave him and fly home, telling him it was over?

This time there was no one else around to keep things in check. And he unloaded on her and it was all over quickly. He hadn't planned for that so he panicked and was disorganised and impulsive, making rash decisions. First running away and then eventually coming back and taking the van back home. I think he called his parents, who advised him to return in the van. ?

You left out the most likely reason her body is where it was and not down a crevice somewhere out of the way. MOO it wasn't planned out. It happened there or very near that spot. He panicked and ran away from the creek and the van, and didn't come back until a day or two later to get the van before he drove home.

Agree on the panic but even with the timeline which we have now, wouldn't he still have some time to at least bury or transport her remains?

For sake of argument, let's just say that Gabby was murdered evening or night of 27th.
Another local poster calculated he could get to Coulter Bay, hiking his route in about 6 hrs ( sorry can't recall who it was now, so can't tag them) so that would mean he could have the whole of the 28th & some part of late evening 29th to try to cover-up

That makes much sense, the panic and poor attempt at cover up.

BL would have better prospects today if he had taken Gabby's body elsewhere. BL would have much much better prospects if he did not abuse and murder Gabby.

I agree. He had been angry and argumentative for a weeks, it seems to me. But at this point, they were both in a more remote location, possibly upon a hike together, hoping to work things out together.

Sadly, it didn't work out that way. Something triggered him once again, and maybe she threatened to leave him and fly home, telling him it was over?

This time there was no one else around to keep things in check. And he unloaded on her and it was all over quickly. He hadn't planned for that so he panicked and was disorganised and impulsive, making rash decisions. First running away and then eventually coming back and taking the van back home. I think he called his parents, who advised him to return in the van. ?
Your speculative version of events could certainly be very close to actual events. However, i have a different speculation. BL with premeditation, took GP to this remote location with murderous intent, which was exacted. Once GP passed, BL's mental state decompensated further, and he started his bizarre hitchhiking and berserk solo van trip back to Florida. He's been running loose and berserk since. This won't end well for BL. Let's hope no one else finds themselves in the midst of the fugitive's capture. Dangerous.

Amateur opinion and speculation only

BE on Dan Abrams NewsNation just said again that the US Marshals took fingerprints right on the scene. They had a machine. Very brief. No other details. I have seen no one but BE report this, but I've seen him report it 3 times now. Anyone have corroboration? MOO

From the Cooper Anderson interview with Dr. Blue:

CNN.com - Transcripts
RANDI KAYE, CNN NATIONAL
CORRESPONDENT: Anderson, thanks. Dr. Blue, I wanted to ask you about a text that Gabby's mother received from her daughter's phone on August 30th, and if you look at your timeline, her death would have occurred between August 22nd and August 29th.

So if this text on August 30th that said there was no service in Yosemite came from Gabby's phone, can you say definitively that Gabby Petito could not have sent that text on August 30th?

BLUE: No, I can't. When we talk about timeline of death this far out from a death, that timeline can be plus or minus a week at a minimum. And that is because of different weather conditions and different locations. So it's really very, very rough.

It's not like TV, where they say, oh, they died on this date. It's a very rough estimate, and I know that law enforcement is using other methods to try to determine a most -- a more exact date, but from an autopsy point of view, it is a very rough estimate. COOPER: So -- and Randi, just -- can you explain to our viewers why you asked that question, because I mean, if she was not obviously alive on that day, when they received that text, then it would indicate that Brian Laundrie or somebody else theoretically sent that text to them.

KAYE: Right. I mean, it's key because if she didn't send it and the text said that there was -- it no read, "No service in Yosemite," whoever did send it, the question is, were they trying to make her parents or her family or investigators even believe that Gabby Petito, at some point had been in Yosemite and perhaps, they would have started looking for her there.

[20:05:03]

COOPER: Dr. Blue, can you tell us if Gabby Petito was killed in the location where authorities found her or if she was possibly moved there?

BLUE: That's not for us to determine, that's for law enforcement to determine. But I just want to point out, it's Yellowstone, not Yosemite.

Last edited:
I'm sure you have all discussed this already, but Brian Entin reported on NewsNation this evening that a camper on the Appalachian trail, who went to a hotel last night was greeted with a surprise awakening by US Marshals, placed in cuffs, and fingerprinted. I thought it was great news not only that we're hearing US Marshals are on the case, but that LE is pretty confident that prints it has on file are in fact BLs. IMO Note that BE said on Newsnation that he was fingerprinted; the article below does not make mention of this. BE will appear on NN hourly and it'll be interesting to see if he has further information.

Brian Laundrie look-alike claims he was ambushed by US Marshals on Appalachian Trail
Brian Laundrie 'lookalike' ambushed by U.S. Marshals on the Appalachian Trail
He just reconfirmed this on Dan Abrams. Fingerprint machine on the spot. I'm very interested to know how they know the prints they have in their file are in fact his. Does he have a record? Lifted from the van with others ruled out? But still this doesn't definitely tell them the prints are his. They never saw him. Never had him in custody. MOO Curious.

BE on Dan Abrams NewsNation just said again that the US Marshals took fingerprints right on the scene. They had a machine. Very brief. No other details. I have seen no one but BE report this, but I've seen him report it 3 times now. Anyone have corroboration? MOO

The article says so

The marshals fingerprinted Beckwith (“They had to use our hotel Wi-Fi password,” Beckwith said, “because they were having trouble with their Bluetooth fingerprint thing”)

Bounty Hunting for Brian Laundrie in a Land of Look-Alikes

He just reconfirmed this on Dan Abrams. Fingerprint machine on the spot. I'm very interested to know how they know the prints they have in their file are in fact his. Does he have a record? Lifted from the van with others ruled out? But still this doesn't definitely tell them the prints are his. They never saw him. Never had him in custody. MOO Curious.
I'm sure they lifted his fingerprints off something he owned or the van. BL doesn't necessarily have to have a record to have fingerprints on file.

From the Cooper Anderson interview with Dr. Blue:

CNN.com - Transcripts
RANDI KAYE, CNN NATIONAL
CORRESPONDENT: Anderson, thanks. Dr. Blue, I wanted to ask you about a text that Gabby's mother received from her daughter's phone on August 30th, and if you look at your timeline, her death would have occurred between August 22nd and August 29th.

So if this text on August 30th that said there was no service in Yosemite came from Gabby's phone, can you say definitively that Gabby Petito could not have sent that text on August 30th?

BLUE: No, I can't. When we talk about timeline of death this far out from a death, that timeline can be plus or minus a week at a minimum. And that is because of different weather conditions and different locations. So it's really very, very rough.

It's not like TV, where they say, oh, they died on this date. It's a very rough estimate, and I know that law enforcement is using other methods to try to determine a most -- a more exact date, but from an autopsy point of view, it is a very rough estimate. COOPER: So -- and Randi, just -- can you explain to our viewers why you asked that question, because I mean, if she was not obviously alive on that day, when they received that text, then it would indicate that Brian Laundrie or somebody else theoretically sent that text to them.

KAYE: Right. I mean, it's key because if she didn't send it and the text said that there was -- it no read, "No service in Yosemite," whoever did send it, the question is, were they trying to make her parents or her family or investigators even believe that Gabby Petito, at some point had been in Yosemite and perhaps, they would have started looking for her there.

[20:05:03]

COOPER: Dr. Blue, can you tell us if Gabby Petito was killed in the location where authorities found her or if she was possibly moved there?

BLUE: That's not for us to determine, that's for law enforcement to determine. But I just want to point out, it's Yellowstone, not Yosemite.
Thank you for this. Another of the million dollar questions - was she moved, not answered. As for date of death, I think LE has that date down, possibly even the time. MOO

I'm sure they lifted his fingerprints off something he owned or the van. BL doesn't necessarily have to have a record to have fingerprints on file.
Well, they have fingerprints on file. I'm just curious how they could be so sure they are his. MOO Lifting them from the van and ruling out GP, and possibly his parents, does not tell you they are his. But, perhaps, lifting them from the van and comparing them to something else he owned and may have exclusively handled - like his missing skateboard - might further corroborate it. I find it interesting and curious. Maybe one day we will learn the ins and outs of the LE investigation. MOO

I was surprised that Gabby's body was found so fast or found at all.

That BL did not anticipate the van being spotted and video taped is another indication that BL was more a tourist and traveler than outdoorsman. BL would not have disposed of Gabby's body next to a popular campground with traffic. There are literally millions of acres of empty public land in the region much riddled with roads of various standards. BL is not the practical outdoorsman.

Respectfully snipped for focus

Since the van was illegally parked overnight, I am pretty sure many people noticed it (it was on a sort of paved side road, but still visible from the main road).

Her body wasn't that far from the road. It's an area that is used for target practice (and it's within the rules to do so there - it's one of the best places near Spread Creek campground where people could do that). Good place for rock hunters - and that's legal in the NF. Great view of the Tetons - that's why there are a couple of day use pull-outs. Lots of picnics there, I bet.

Whether any of this occurred to BL as he drove across the country, I do not know - but I bet not. Combine that with all the dash cam and youtuber footage and yeah, she was going to be found sooner rather than later.

BL is indeed not a practical outdoorsman.

Laundrie's prints would be all over the van and on some of the items the FBI seized during the search warrant of the home. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loveland