Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, he they have fingerprints on file. I'm just curious how they could be so sure they are his. MOO

I don't think they would necessarily need "official" fingerprints. It could just be presumptive fingerprints from his belongings. It's not like they need to confirm someone's identity with fingerprints before arrest. MOO

My crazy theory: if BL has a burner phone that can access the internet, maybe he and his parents each created, say, Twitter accounts, (though probably lots of similar social media would function the same way) with totally innocuous names and maybe even linked to new and totally innocuous email accounts.

Then they can tweet messages to each other, each posting on their own accounts as opposed to replying directly, but since only they know the accounts exist, no one is following and the accounts can't be tracked back to them.

MOO

They could also create an email address (gmail, hotmail) that thy both have the password for and leave messages in the drafts folder for each other.

Agree on the panic but even with the timeline which we have now, wouldn't he still have some time to at least bury or transport her remains?

For sake of argument, let's just say that Gabby was murdered evening or night of 27th.
Another local poster calculated he could get to Coulter Bay, hiking his route in about 6 hrs ( sorry can't recall who it was now, so can't tag them) so that would mean he could have the whole of the 28th & some part of late evening 29th to try to cover-up
I don't discount any other theory. I think it happened on the last evening of the 27th and he bolted and took the van on the 29th. Everything in between is conjecture unless he is found alive and tells. But I think he's dead so. Just conjecture until we know more

Since the van was illegally parked overnight, I am pretty sure many people noticed it (it was on a sort of paved side road, but still visible from the main road).

Her body wasn't that far from the road. It's an area that is used for target practice (and it's within the rules to do so there - it's one of the best places near Spread Creek campground where people could do that). Good place for rock hunters - and that's legal in the NF. Great view of the Tetons - that's why there are a couple of day use pull-outs. Lots of picnics there, I bet.

Whether any of this occurred to BL as he drove across the country, I do not know - but I bet not. Combine that with all the dash cam and youtuber footage and yeah, she was going to be found sooner rather than later.

BL is indeed not a practical outdoorsman.
Do you have a link for that target practice? I'm curious about this because some of the cs photos did look like there were bullet holes in the tree and when the target practice possibility was raised another poster stated emphatically that this is not allowed. MOO

He just reconfirmed this on Dan Abrams. Fingerprint machine on the spot. I'm very interested to know how they know the prints they have in their file are in fact his. Does he have a record? Lifted from the van with others ruled out? But still this doesn't definitely tell them the prints are his. They never saw him. Never had him in custody. MOO Curious.
My fingerprints are on file due to a Security Clearance for working in an airport and due to being bonded. I don’t have a criminal record.

BL very well could have a record and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to find out there is something in his background that would precipitate acquiring his fingerprints.

On the other hand, it might be just a job requirement.

MOO

He just reconfirmed this on Dan Abrams. Fingerprint machine on the spot. I'm very interested to know how they know the prints they have in their file are in fact his. Does he have a record? Lifted from the van with others ruled out? But still this doesn't definitely tell them the prints are his. They never saw him. Never had him in custody. MOO Curious.
If BL was driving the van, he presumably has (or had) a driver's license. At least in some states, such as California where I live, people are fingerprinted when they get their driver's license; LE can under appropriate circumstances gain access to those fingerprints. Is that not true in other states?

JMO

Is it possible BL used the wrong phone and thought he was sending the message to his mom? Maybe there is another Stan involved. jmo

I agree that's a distinct possibility! I've sent messages to people by mistake because I was distracted. I'm pretty sure murder would be considered a distraction !!!!!! Moo

My fingerprints are on file due to a Security Clearance for working in an airport and due to being bonded. I don’t have a criminal record.

BL very well could have a record and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to find out there is something in his background that would precipitate acquiring his fingerprints.

On the other hand, it might be just a job requirement.

MOO
Mine are on file as an attorney too, but BL is neither. This is what peeked my curiosity.

Well, they have fingerprints on file. I'm just curious how they could be so sure they are his. MOO Lifting them from the van and ruling out GP, and possibly his parents, does not tell you they are his. But, perhaps, lifting them from the van and comparing them to something else he owned and may have exclusively handled - like his missing skateboard - might further corroborate it. I find it interesting and curious. Maybe one day we will learn the ins and outs of the LE investigation. MOO

Steering wheel would be a good place for them. Driver's side door, inside or out. His prints would be bigger than Gabby's.

Unless he tossed it, he still had a skateboard - he started with two, had one in Moab.

I didn't see them look for prints on the Mustang - would have been interesting.

I don't discount any other theory. I think it happened on the last evening of the 27th and he bolted and took the van on the 29th. Everything in between is conjecture unless he is found alive and tells. But I think he's dead so. Just conjecture until we know more
Yes, it's certainly easier to now view events in a very different light

A related question. If LE was monitoring the Laundries' phone and/or internet use, could they tell what apps were in use? And could they tell what browser websites had been accessed?

What I'm getting at is, would using a browser rather than an app make it untraceable? Obviously some programs, like probably Telegram, are only available as an app, but others such as Twitter or Facebook can be used without the app, just as a webpage. Just curious if one way is less traceable than the other.

I don't know the answer to that. Hopefully someone else here does.

Great information so thank you.
If he's still in that reserve, I also think he went to kill himself. *

Agree on the body disposal site. I also live in a national park in UK and just next to what you'd probably call preserves. There are few true wildernesses here but we have had murders here where no body has been found, just tiny fragments because the local perp knew how & where to dispose of the body.
On the topic of suicide, we've also had unfortunately a couple of cases ( including high-ranking LE!) who climbed mountains here with a few bottles of alcohol in order to go easier through hypothermia.

Anyway, enough of that.
Why do you think he didn't bury her? Do you think he really thought that animals would remove all her remains or he just panicked?

ETA* one caveat on intent to commit suicide. I don't understand why he'd need to take a large back pack ( as described, with a waist strap iirc) if he had made a decision to go into the Reserve to commit suicide

A backpack would be a good container for him to fill it with rocks to weigh his body down in the murky, gator-infested waters. With a waist/hip strap and a sternum strap it wouldn't come off for a LONG time. Just MOO.

If BL was driving the van, he presumably has (or had) a driver's license. At least in some states, such as California where I live, people are fingerprinted when they get their driver's license; LE can under appropriate circumstances gain access to those fingerprints. Is that not true in other states?

JMO
In Florida, you need pretty much everything including an arm and a leg but fingerprints? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz