Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Gabby's parents can't sue the Laundrie family for criminal charges against him, I still feel that they could bring a Civil Suit against them for Wrongful Death against his "estate" with his parents as executors maybe, <modsnip>? Thinking of how the Goldman's sued OJ's estate. The burden of proof is much lower in a Civil Suit.

Since Gabby's parents can't sue the Laundrie family for criminal charges against him, I still feel that they could bring a Civil Suit against them for Wrongful Death against his "estate" with his parents as executors maybe, since they aided and abetted him? Thinking of how the Goldman's sued OJ's estate. The burden of proof is much lower in a Civil Suit.

There would need to be proof of aiding and abetting, and in that case they would be charged.

It goes without saying that the Petito/Schmidt families should and will make the choices that best suit them, going forward.

I would wish that at least one set of parents does file a civil suit, if there are grounds. I’m thinking of when the Goldman family sued O.J. in civil court after he was found not guilty. IIRC, that led to them not only getting the proceeds from O.J.‘s hideous book, but it jump started the chain of events that put him in jail eventually (the memorabilia theft).

Gabby’s four parents have put up a united front thus far, and I hope that continues. I don’t want them to fracture in any way, so IMO they’d all have to agree with whatever steps going forward. The DV charity is wonderful.

Does this mean we are finished hearing from SB?
What more can ( should) he say now?
He really should not be saying much. Just the Ls' expression of appreciation to LE, expression of grief about their son, long- overdue expression of sorrow to the P/S families. And maybe a "now will you please get off their lawn so they can grieve."

What he should not do is start talking about what they did or didn't know /do/think, nor start pointing fingers.

Saddest of all for Gabby and her family. Can't feel too sorry for Laundries. If my son came home without Gabby in the manner that he did, I would have made him tell me the truth, then insisted he tell LE. That way they could still have their son to visit in prison. Instead they gave him the death penalty by not handing him in when they had the chance. And he chose the death penality. Would have gotten off a lot lighter sentence in the court system. He had a choice. Gabby did not!

Jossie Carbonare
@JossieCarbonare

#BREAKING Steven Bertolino #BrianLaundrie family attorney tells me law enforcement just knocked on the Laundrie’s door to inform them the remains found are in fact Brian Laundrie’s.

I'm glad that they were informed in person. That is the decent and right thing to do. I'm sure, in their hearts, they knew already, but I'm glad the confirmation was swift and based on hard facts and evidence from dental records so they won't have to torture themselves wondering if the identification was correct or not.

Since Gabby's parents can't sue the Laundrie family for criminal charges against him, I still feel that they could bring a Civil Suit against them for Wrongful Death against his "estate" with his parents as executors maybe, <modsnip>? Thinking of how the Goldman's sued OJ's estate. The burden of proof is much lower in a Civil Suit.
But Brian killed Gabby.
CL and RL did not.
They weren't involved in her death.
jmho

I have to chime in on this gator theory since I have lived in Florida for over 20 years. Gator attacks are extremely rare contrary to what non-Floridians may think. We camp in these swamps. The town that I live in has canals, swamps and preserves, all inhabited with gators. In 20 years only once did someone have an unpleasant encounter with a gator that I can recall and that was during mating season. I don’t doubt a gator could have taken an opportunity for a meal once he was dead but the chances of him being killed by an alligator are about as good as being struck by lightening in Florida—the lightening capital of the country, which is still extremely rare.

Just like Gabby, he needed to be found. <modsnip>
I'm not following. I'm wondering about his choice - if he did commit suicide - of where/conditions he chose to do so.

In my prior post I also wondered about location of his things vs him, particularly in the context of the "gators got him" theory.

From prior thread-

But why would he want his body concealed, is (one of my) question? It seems reasonable not to want to be on display, but knowing that there was or would soon be a manhunt, I guess I'd expect him/someone in his position who'd decided to kill himself to want to be pretty easily found - ie not actually in/under swamp water. o_O

I can think of a lot of reasons, people's minds work differently. As I said in an earlier post, the desire to "disappear completely" leads people into natural or remote places to suicide every year. It's a symbol or metaphor for them wishing they could undo what they have done in their life.

Most of us have done something we wish we could undo. For most of us, it's minor - we broke something precious to ourselves or to someone else. But the desire to undo or unmake is part of rite and ritual for humans all over the planet. Grief alone makes many persons wish to be gone from this plane and to be invisible.

Then, in this case, there's the additional possibility that either BL simply doesn't understand how much harder it would be for Gabby's family. and for his own family if he couldn't be found. I do not think BL had a strong theory of other minds. I think he was very much inside his own head, had lots of intricate fantasies.

There are other possibilities as well. Of the many people who go missing every year, many are not found and do not want to be found. I believe that one of my. childhood friends committed suicide and did not want to be found. It's been 35 years and he's still listed in the Charlie Project. He's out in the mountains near where I live - somewhere.

I’ve tried to find that photo of Brian with his green notebook, but can’t find it.

I was going to compare it to a “Rite in the Rain” notebook. I have several and you really can write in the notebook with most anything and even if it gets wet, the ink or pencil doesn’t wash away.

I sure do hope that Brian was using a notebook like this.
I believe it was in a waterproof bag thankfully.

GBs parents could probably sue BLs estate for wrongful death but I’d be surprised if it’d be worth their time and energy in terms of potential assets. He clearly didn’t have the wealth nor fame of OJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6