Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

Status
Not open for further replies.
It goes without saying that the Petito/Schmidt families should and will make the choices that best suit them, going forward.

I would wish that at least one set of parents does file a civil suit, if there are grounds. I’m thinking of when the Goldman family sued O.J. in civil court after he was found not guilty. IIRC, that led to them not only getting the proceeds from O.J.‘s hideous book, but it jump started the chain of events that put him in jail eventually (the memorabilia theft).

Gabby’s four parents have put up a united front thus far, and I hope that continues. I don’t want them to fracture in any way, so IMO they’d all have to agree with whatever steps going forward. The DV charity is wonderful.
BL is dead, unlike OJ.

1) As far as where he was, he simply may have expected his body to be found before the water rose.
2) On the issue of his notebook, in at least one pic from yesterday law enforcement could be seen holding a rolling closure "dry bag" of the type I use on my boat and kayak. It was not clean so I don't think it belong to law enforcement. I think it was likely his and that this is a likely place for his notebook and notebook may be in excellent condition. Suicide has broad causes, lots undetected/misclassified suicided making statistics on them almost irrelevant, but a certain cadre wants to have the last word, and I would think it is likely the notebook contains, if not a (deluded) assertion of justification, then at least his version (which of course could be true or deluded).
3) I think the main lesson learned on this, and I am really sorry to have to say it, is the actions and attitudes displayed by some of the police who stopped them. There is a limit to what cops can do, and I give them a lot of latitude and sympathy for that. But that chat in the vehicle indicated the cop was badly trained and also projecting personal experience and creating a bias in dealing with the crisis at hand. I squarely blame Laundrie but that event surely shows more training in recognizing what is going on in domestic abuse is needed.
4) I don't think his parents are going to be charged unless there is significant evidence we don't know of. there are lots of parents of violent crime suspects withholding info all around the US on a daily basis

Since Gabby's parents can't sue the Laundrie family for criminal charges against him, I still feel that they could bring a Civil Suit against them for Wrongful Death against his "estate" with his parents as executors maybe, <modsnip>? Thinking of how the Goldman's sued OJ's estate. The burden of proof is much lower in a Civil Suit.
Civil suits are sometimes used to force discovery and I’m thinking this could reveal answers to questions. And the respondents (laundries) have no fifth amendment right to no self incrimination.

I have to chime in on this gator theory since I have lived in Florida for over 20 years. Gator attacks are extremely rare contrary to what non-Floridians may think. We camp in these swamps. The town that I live in has canals, swamps and preserves, all inhabited with gators. In 20 years only once did someone have an unpleasant encounter with a gator that I can recall and that was during mating season. I don’t doubt a gator could have taken an opportunity for a meal once he was dead but the chances of him being killed by an alligator are about as good as being struck by lightening in Florida—the lightening capital of the country, which is still extremely rare.

Well that's an idea. Maybe BL was struck by lightening and then a gator ate his remains. A fitting way for him to go.

There would need to be proof of aiding and abetting, and in that case they would be charged.

The poster you responded to suggested that BL's estate be sued, not his parents. It would be an action to gain information through depositions, but it would be painful for both families. I do not think BL has an estate that would cause any normal lawyer to take such a case on contingency - they'd have to want to do it to help Gabby's family. Would a judge rule that the Laundrie parents could be deposed in such a case? I have no idea - but I'm thinking that wouldn't really work. The people who would need to be deposed would be SAR personnel in Wyoming, LE, coroner, etc.

Not sure at all what Gabby's family would gain from that, that they don't already have access to. Brian's full coroner report, I guess, if for some reason that is withheld.

I’ve tried to find that photo of Brian with his green notebook, but can’t find it.

I was going to compare it to a “Rite in the Rain” notebook. I have several and you really can write in the notebook with most anything and even if it gets wet, the ink or pencil doesn’t wash away.

I sure do hope that Brian was using a notebook like this.
You're right about Rite in the Rain, I used them for field work in Alaska where it actually was always raining, lol. I still have those notebooks decades later. But I doubt he would use something so utilitarian.

The poster you responded to suggested that BL's estate be sued, not his parents. It would be an action to gain information through depositions, but it would be painful for both families. I do not think BL has an estate that would cause any normal lawyer to take such a case on contingency - they'd have to want to do it to help Gabby's family. Would a judge rule that the Laundrie parents could be deposed in such a case? I have no idea - but I'm thinking that wouldn't really work. The people who would need to be deposed would be SAR personnel in Wyoming, LE, coroner, etc.

Not sure at all what Gabby's family would gain from that, that they don't already have access to. Brian's full coroner report, I guess, if for some reason that is withheld.
Wouldn't his parents be the executors of his estate?

Yes, which means it is not a burner phone. You paid for it with your credit card.debit card even with cash, using your name and seen buying it on the surveillance camera

You can buy AT&T prepaid phones and minute cards from Target, Walmart, etc. You pay, you activate, it is never attached to your identity in any way. That's a "burner" phone. AT&T prepaid operations are no different from any other service's prepaid operations. You don't need ID, or a bank account, or a credit card, or anything that proves who you are, where you live, etc.

Sometimes it's for accountability. Not everyone is motivated by money.

Well, BL would still be dead, he cannot feel his accountability nor give a deposition. If it would make Gabby's family feel better to have a judgment against him, they can go ahead and do that - but I don't see how they can involve the Laundries in it or make them feel accountable.

You can buy AT&T prepaid phones and minute cards from Target, Walmart, etc. You pay, you activate, it is never attached to your identity in any way. That's a "burner" phone. AT&T prepaid operations are no different from any other service's prepaid operations. You don't need ID, or a bank account, or a credit card, or anything that proves who you are, where you live, etc.
And especially if you're buying the phone to give to someone else, store security cameras etc. wouldn't even be particularly relevant, IMO.

GBs parents could probably sue BLs estate for wrongful death but I’d be surprised if it’d be worth their time and energy in terms of potential assets. He clearly didn’t have the wealth nor fame of OJ.
what estate? they didn't even have enough money to get a hotel room, and he allegedly used her credit cards to get from Wyoming to Florida?

<modsnip - quoted post removed>

This wasn't directed at me but.... I joined to discuss details, I tend to 'read between the lines" and you ALL keep things true and factual.

The work the mods put in to keep us on track is amazingly generous of them. By joining and posting, I've had great discussions that open my mind to other possibilities. I don't believe we are done with this case until Gabby's murder investigation is closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member