Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saddest of all for Gabby and her family. Can't feel too sorry for Laundries. If my son came home without Gabby in the manner that he did, I would have made him tell me the truth, then insisted he tell LE. That way they could still have their son to visit in prison. Instead they gave him the death penalty by not handing him in when they had the chance. And he chose the death penalty. Would have gotten off a lot lighter sentence in the court system. He had a choice. Gabby did not!

THIS! I still feel the Laundries knew a lot more & also helped him evade law enforcement when he first came home. All of my sympathy goes to the Petito's.

I'm putting this out here again as an example of what bad legal advice can accomplish.

Brian could have been salvaged, but nobody surrounding him had the skill to accomplish that very simple task.
The law was on his side. He had an opportunity for mental health care and meditation upon it.
He had an opportunity to use solitude, with guidance, to heal himself.
He had an opportunity to build a new self upon a foundation of hard won forgiveness.
He had an opportunity to live a very long time and become a better teacher than he could ever have imagined.
Didn't anyone tell him this?
Sometimes, being broken down to nothing is the beginning of wisdom.
Brian was salvageable.
His life is a valuable lesson.
JMHO
He could have had access to some of the best medical and psychiatric practitioners around, .... all these things you speak of there, he had those opportunities...

I think he had had enough of himself. A life of rolling failure, even Brian must have seen the endgame, .. I have no doubts he was chin up and resolute , man of the woods thing, right to the last., He would not have wanted to give up the persona he had clothed himself in. I went back and looked at that Moab incident again, and Brian is actually persuading himself most of all that he holds all the strings, runs this circus, man in charge.

I don't hold any hope that he wrote a sorry note. Not Brian. He would maintain that Gabby provoked him, he being such a calm rational guy and her being OCD and all that.

He would probably maintain he was misunderstood, misapprehended, misadvised, but most of all he was misanthropic. People infested places, and he suddenly realised he was part of the infestation and not part of the pest control.

I suspect the lack of communication between Cassie and the parents was an effort on the part of the parents to limit her involvement and protect her and her family as much as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if communication has resumed. JMO.
The Laundrie's clearly communicated with Cassie to not answer the Petito's calls in the beginning. I would hope they warned Cassie about Brian's death... but with each new development their decisions and actions make no sense to me.

A few days ago the laundries went to AT& T. Could they of been alarmed no contact from BL? A code like 1 ring and hang up to say you are ok? Never got any and went for information? I don’t know anything about burner phones

"Burner" phones, like "ghost" guns, are just a term that makes things sound more sinister than they are. A burner is just a prepaid phone, typically cheap enough that the cost of buying another one each week is not a major expense.

Has there been any news that Gabby's family is planning to sue the estate, or is this just curiosity?

Re the bolded - I'm reading Fight Club right now. If , as has been suggested, it's important book for him, this could be one of the resonant aspects.

Thank you for that - I haven't read it, but I've seen the film and it works in part because the main character cannot fully distinguish between the fictional world (in his own mind) and his more ordinary states of mind. People who are weak on "theory of other minds" (Baron-Cohen's research in the UK is pretty amazing on this topic - Sasha's cousin), think everyone else's minds work more or less like theirs do and in some cases, have a strong belief that other people actually share their own values, worldview and general sense of right and wrong. People usually begin to realize that other people don't necessarily like the same things they do at around age 4-5 and then it continues to develop throughout life.

Anyone thinking maybe the L’s kept SB as their lawyer because they suspected BL wasn’t alive anymore? No need for a better lawyer under those circumstances. Might explain them keeping him around JMO
IMO SB was not a bad attorney and gave the same advice any other kind of attorney would. Please elaborate on why you think they needed a "better lawyer" .

I suppose the most perplexing thing for me may always be this:

Brian takes the Mustang out to the Wildlife Preserve allegedly to hike. His parents go a couple of days later to get the parked Mustang and drive it to their home; thereby, leaving Brian without a way to travel when or if he decided to leave the Wildlife Preserve. How does one actively abandon one's own child?

I cannot make sense of that movement. I do believe had it been my child, I would have stood beside the Mustang until the FBI dragged me away with wild horses.

This has indeed been one of the most traumatic months spent in true crime. As a proud grandmother, it's difficult to realize that Gabby will never present her precious newborn babies to her parents for mine are truly mighty fine gifts.

May Gabby's sweet soul rest in peace.
Unless they knew that he was dead by then. :/

He still has an “estate”— it may not be of much monetary value, but everything he owned personally composes his estate.

You are absolutely correct. I've solely handled one estate now and assisted on a two others (two different states). My intention was to point out that there is likely no monetary value involved. I should have clarified. I do understand that one can still sue an *estate* regardless of any assets for deposition/information purposes.

MOO.

I do not see how "shielding" their son after the fact could enter into a wrongful death suit.
My own random thoughts of a civil suit weren't along the lines of wrongful death, as I agree the Laundries can't plausibly be found liable for Gabby's death, but I was idly considering other civil matters like intentional infliction of emotional distress (linked in prev thread) or I don't know, something related to the idea that they shielded him, helped him flee, and as a result he ended up dead instead of standing trial for killing Gabby. But as I mentioned also in the last thread, that would probably be a criminal rather than civil matter, and IMO they're unlikely to be charged even with evidence, because their son is dead.

The whole thing is so frustrating, in addition to be being tragic. I think it's normal for people to wish there was a way for someone to pay for their part in all this, however secondary their part may have been.

IMO SB was not a bad attorney and gave the same advice any other kind of attorney would. Please elaborate on why you think they needed a "better lawyer" .
Ok I will, he wasn’t a criminal lawyer he handled real estate primarily MOO
ETA - not sure speaking to the media via social media was a good choice either, or making jokes like ‘isn’t he with you’ a few days before they found BL, or throwing Cassie under the bus as she stated herself. Lots of reasons why I think they should have had a more professional lawyer. MOO

Sometimes it's for accountability. Not everyone is motivated by money.
It's a bitter way to go. I can't say for sure what I'd be thinking, but I think I'd be more worried about myself and my healing. Particularly as the potential accessory after the fact concept, even if actionable, doesn't have to do with the actual cause of GP'S death. It would be, it seems, more an act of revenge than of accountability.

Anyone thinking maybe the L’s kept SB as their lawyer because they suspected BL wasn’t alive anymore? No need for a better lawyer under those circumstances. Might explain them keeping him around JMO
SB will be on News Nation 8/9 timeframe. It seems he's blaming media coverage for the protesters.
Yet, that coverage possibly helped find Gabby & could have pieced together a timeline of her last day's.
Moo

Now I really want to know if the FBI think BL was possibly connected to any of the other murders in the area at that time. I had been thinking that they would never publicly say that as long as they were searching for him, but now that the search has ended I'm curious to see if anything will come out.

The fact they may have led investigators to their son’s possessions and possibly his remains — that all undercuts the argument that they were aiding and abetting his escape,” attorney Neama Rahmani, president of West Coast Trial Lawyers, told the Sun.

“That leads me to believe they’ve been cooperative and not the other way around,” he added.

Rahmani said he believes the remains found near a bridge that connects the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park and adjoining Carlton Reserve likely belong to Laundrie — “unless he was trying to plant evidence next to someone else’s remains to throw law enforcement off his tracks.”

The lawyer told the Sun he believes Laundrie was involved in his girlfriend Gabby Petito’s murder, but said his apparent death means authorities will have a hard time solving the sensational case.

“I’m sure Gabby Petito’s family wants some sort of closure, but if Brian Laundrie is dead, this is as good as it’s going to get,” he said.

Dog days are over: TV bounty hunter calls off search for Brian Laundrie after remains found.

'Won't be much left:' Locals chime in on remains found in Brian Laundrie search

https://nypost.com/2021/10/21/brian-laundries-parents-possibly-vindicated -by-remains-finding/

Burner phones don't work like they do on tv. Any law enforcement can track a burner phone and trace it to you with in a few hours.

You buy a burner phone from x company with cash.

You insert sim and connect to a tower. Your phone then follows you around moving from tower to tower.

The police put up a cheap and easy to use spoof tower. Every cellphone in the area will now connect to the that tower, the police set it to forward to a normal tower. Open source software like openbts is used. It does not collect any information that is encrypted, so completely legal with out a warrent But it collects the open sim number from your burner phone.

In this case. They put a tower next to laundries home collect the numbers. Wait until the leave the area, follow them and collect the numbers. The numbers that follows them around is their burner phone. Then you get a search warrant for that sim.

Even in large crowds, they simply spoof the tower, take pictures of the group, then follow the people around isolating one sim at a time. Using photo id software to get names.

This has been a problem for a long time and the FBI has been using it for a long time. Random search

The FBI Uses Fake Cell Towers to Do Real Spying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member