Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they said they did mistake RL for BL. IMO, it's very understandable, given how poor images render on security cameras at night (even if it's not "pitch black"), especially at farther distances, and I don't know how helpful the motion activated lights on the L's house would be from that distance (across the street).

In looking at the many images of the front of the house it appears one would have to walk right in front of the garage light to get to the front door from a vehicle parked in the driveway.

also what p... me off on this bluwater is , if on that redacted Gabby misper report ( whose redactions Justin WFLA & JB have both been highlighting this last couple of days) there's also commentary showing nppd had been completely aware of the van belonging to Gabby as well as the MOAB stop details.

(I appreciate that BL may well have paid towards that van's purchase but nonetheless GP's name was on the registration - or whatever u call it in USA - and this aspect was missed at the MOAB stop & maybe missed here too. It could've been grounds for surveillance or arrest? I might be totally off base on this report but it just feels there's an element of sexism re her property)

Justin WFLA estimated that misper wouldn't be un-redacted for another 12 months
They did not know until the 19th that Gabby was deceased, though. And that she may have given him permission to drive the van back to FL, but since her dad told them it was Gabby's, they could haul it away. ????JMO

Or (I know this wasn't how he was identified) they could also extract DNA from his teeth and compare it to his parents. JMO

Of course. But I believe it was announced that "dental records" (& not DNA) was used. There are other ways to ID individual teeth besides DNA though. One has to do with enamel patterns. But the ID was so fast, it seemed to me it must have been based on teeth that were still attached to the remains found. But that's JMO.

Last edited:
In looking at the many images of the front of the house it appears one would have to walk right in front of the garage light to get to the front door from a vehicle parked in the driveway.

Yes. If there was a motion activated spot light on the garage, it would have come on. Also, I have not seen anyone in the family park or exit or enter thru the garage so I don't see that as a possibility. I think the mustang was parked in the driveway and whoever was driving it was in full view of anyone observing the house when they exited the vehicle and walked inside. IMO.

I have to honestly wonder what other cases did they fumble?

Over here in the UK we currently have 6 inquiries occurring in relation to one high profile crime case which happened here recently, so you're not alone. ( Different constabularies, inspectorates, IOPC reviews)
We have a saying here, most people use it sarcastically 'Lessons will be Learned'

<modsnip - quoted post removed>
This is what I don't understand. If LE couldn't ask (require the Laundries to answer) these questions while Brian was alive ~ then under what authority or circumstances could they require them to answer now that he's deceased? :confused:

maybe the fact that he is deceased and can’t speak for himself makes next of kin his de facto proxy.

Well, if that's how they determine a death, we all have the formula for faking our own deaths, and starting over. HA HA. jmo

Just be sure to save a wisdom tooth or prep to yank one tooth or fragment. If that's all the FBI needs, I really have to wonder wth is going on here. They MUST have a partial jawbone.

<modsnip> we know that a partial skull was recovered. Presumably some teeth were intact in the skull fragment. Dental X-Rays record the position and shape of the teeth in relation to each other. The structure of the bones around the teeth. Even the roots are distinctive. And of course, any fillings or other work done.

It is unlikely a positive odontological ID would be done with just random scattered teeth.

They can, however, extract DNA from teeth and teeth fragments. So, as was posted upthread, this is a secondary way that an ID can also be confirmed. Since we know that the latter hasn't been done yet, we can assume (occam's razor) that the former technique was used instead.

Since it's possible no bone marrow was recoverable, it might be difficult to get a DNA match via the skull itself.

The FBI has confirmed Brian as deceased through his remains. They are confident enough to issue a statement to that effect. That should be the end of it. JMO, but I think that continuing speculation of a criminal conspiracy with the parents planting corpses or corpse body parts to fool LE and 'pretend' BL is deceased does this case a massive disservice. MOO

I am truly baffled that so many give Brian the knowledge, mental acuity, and stamina to establish such an escape.

He might have convinced himself at one time that he might have escaped the consequences, if her remains were not found, but I neither think he had any of those skills nor the desire to do any of the planning that this would take.

At the end of the day........... this man was "nothing" without Gabby, and he knew it.

Last edited:
Just be sure to save a wisdom tooth or prep to yank one tooth or fragement.

I REALLY hope that isn't all that it took to identify his remains (a tooth or teeth not attached to any of the other bones). I cannot begin to fathom the backlash it would cause. We think the case is a circus now, I can't even imagine how much worse it could get. IMO.

Last edited:
bbm
Sheriff Judd Grady of Polk County said a month ago that BL would have been detained as soon as the missing person report was filed on Gabby.
He is quite a character.
Sheriff Grady Judd on Brian Laundrie: ‘We would have never let him out of our custody’ | WFLA

And how was he planning on holding him custody? Gabby had not yet been found, the fraud/wire charges had not yet been filed. Even they arrested him for stealing the van he would have been eligible for bail.

Well, they said they did mistake RL for BL. IMO, it's very understandable, given how poor images render on security cameras at night (even if it's not "pitch black"), especially at farther distances, and I don't know how helpful the motion activated lights on the L's house would be from that distance (across the street).

I was also wondering if it was raining as well.

Do we know if the human remains are only teeth or one tooth fragment?
Because if that's the case...I'm stunned.

They said they had a partly decomposed skull and some other bones. That was the first day, then they went back to look for more. So it wasn't just teeth.

But if it was just teeth, they are the best container of DNA in the body, so there's that. But no, they said "decomposed skull" which usually means the smaller bones are gone (and the more delicate areas are damaged, like around the ear). Upper jaw is pretty sturdy, lower jaw is too - but could easily have been carried away by a rodent or other gnawing animal.

I was under the impression that some teeth were in his scull. I don't remember anywhere that the teeth were found alone. LE would not surely have had BL positively identified by a single tooth found independent of a partial scull.

And you would be correct. First thing they announced is that they had a partial skull, then they mentioned teeth. Teeth are usually found in a skull for a loooong time.

Last edited:
They said they had a partly decomposed skull and some other bones. That was the first day, then they went back to look for more. So it wasn't just teeth.

But if it was just teeth, they are the best container of DNA in the body, so there's that. But no, they said "decomposed skull" which usually means the smaller bones are gone (and the more delicate areas are damaged, like around the ear). Upper jaw is pretty sturdy, lower jaw is too - but could easily have been carried away by a rodent or other gnawing animal.

And you would be correct. First thing they announced is that they had a partial skull, then they mentioned teeth. Teeth are usually found in a skull for a loooong time.

Ahhhhh... so true.! We have dug up places on our property with (animal) remains found. Full jaw and all teeth remain!

What's more is that his car was spotted in the reserve parking lot and a note was left on it asking him to move it or it would be towed. Did no one run the tags? NPPD supposedly saw the Mustang drive out--then it's spotted sitting at the reserve--but they didn't put 2 and 2 together, it seems.

Do you think parking enforcement runs the tags of every car it posts/tickets? They'd have to call into the station (where I live - a city of 120,000 people, there is exactly one person at the computer to run tags/DL's - they are pret' darned busy all day). Parking enforcement is...exceptionally low priority. I doubt NPPD has the budget for that. So my. guess is the answer is "No," they. put the warning, then they give the ticket, then the copy of the ticket goes to someone who calls the towing company and the car is towed. At some point (probably when the ticket is presented back at the station and the towing-organizer. gets, someone puts the rest of the info on there...it probably would have said CL or RL).

And how was he planning on holding him custody? Gabby had not yet been found, the fraud/wire charges had not yet been filed. Even they arrested him for stealing the van he would have been eligible for bail.
Sheriff Judd says a lot of things that are controversial.
Regarding the capture of a mass murderer last month:
“It would’ve been nice if he’d have come out with a gun and then we’d have been able to read a newspaper through him,” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said on Sunday. He added, “If he’d have given us the opportunity, we’d have shot him up a lot.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/08/florida-sheriff-murder-suspect/
AFAIK Polk County was not one of the counties that sent resources to help in the search for BL.
I suspect there is a reason for that.
jmho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members