Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for sharing this. Very enlightening about BL's anger issues. Makes me wonder how often this young couple had these very public blowouts. Embarrassing and frightening for restaurant patrons.
According to Gabby's friend Rose, fights like the one they had at the Co-op in Moab were not uncommon. I think she said that in the same interview where she said Gabby would come and stay with her after a fight, and that she had done so about 7 times? Imo

Last edited:
Many threads back, I deduced GP and BL were NOT cut from anywhere near the same cloth. She: gregarious, wanting to build a community of environmentally friendly and responsible people, strong desire to influence those outcomes by working hard to keep her lines of communication open and tended - like a garden of like souls. A true "people person". He: A solitary type. Not so much interested in "influencing", but offering his view of a more iconoclastic, environmental experience. NOT a people person. When she posts, she gives her followers an expansive view and an invitation to participate, to embrace, to share the natural world responsibly. His posts are more a grudging peek into himself and his mobile monastery. They do meet on a cursory level, the preparations, the working toward a goal, the shared happiness of being "inside" the goal. I suspect their problems were deeper. He craved isolation as a solution to whatever in his life's experience drove him there. She wanted to embrace the world and everything in it. The deeper things. She was a nurturer, willing to go even so far as to take the blame for his lack of self-control and anger. He was, even in his manufactured world, excessively needy. He wanted a devoted pet. Ultimately, she would not be leashed. After their last public outburst, he lost it. She had said "NO" one too many times. She wouldn't give up this innate embrace of the world at large...for him. She wouldn't wear the leash...wouldn't cut herself entirely off for his sake...which put her in the enemy camp. His jealousy wasn't limited to just one person who happened to respond to her generous invitation to come together in love and responsible, environmental federation, his jealousy was universal.

Once she was dead, BL became the loneliest guy on the planet. In winning his worldless solitude, he had extinguished the light that would have illuminated it. He was left in utter darkness. Where does one go from there?
MOOing...as usual.

Insightful.

Many threads back, I deduced GP and BL were NOT cut from anywhere near the same cloth. She: gregarious, wanting to build a community of environmentally friendly and responsible people, strong desire to influence those outcomes by working hard to keep her lines of communication open and tended - like a garden of like souls. A true "people person". He: A solitary type. Not so much interested in "influencing", but offering his view of a more iconoclastic, environmental experience. NOT a people person. When she posts, she gives her followers an expansive view and an invitation to participate, to embrace, to share the natural world responsibly. His posts are more a grudging peek into himself and his mobile monastery. They do meet on a cursory level, the preparations, the working toward a goal, the shared happiness of being "inside" the goal. I suspect their problems were deeper. He craved isolation as a solution to whatever in his life's experience drove him there. She wanted to embrace the world and everything in it. The deeper things. She was a nurturer, willing to go even so far as to take the blame for his lack of self-control and anger. He was, even in his manufactured world, excessively needy. He wanted a devoted pet. Ultimately, she would not be leashed. After their last public outburst, he lost it. She had said "NO" one too many times. She wouldn't give up this innate embrace of the world at large...for him. She wouldn't wear the leash...wouldn't cut herself entirely off for his sake...which put her in the enemy camp. His jealousy wasn't limited to just one person who happened to respond to her generous invitation to come together in love and responsible, environmental federation, his jealousy was universal.

Once she was dead, BL became the loneliest guy on the planet. In winning his worldless solitude, he had extinguished the light that would have illuminated it. He was left in utter darkness. Where does one go from there?
MOOing...as usual.

Insightful.

bbm
I just don't see BL turning himself in -- ever. He may have had a weak moment, but he knew, IMO, he was done. Arrest, high or no bond, waiting months for a trial, the cost of a good defense atty, most likely 1st Degree Murder and life...life, in prison. Nope.
He probably even thought about his parents and sister going thru all this. IMO, suicide may have been what he chose -- or he was hiding out, trying to decide what to do, and had an accident or was a partial meal for a hungry alligator. I do wonder if he thought about Gabby -- whether he missed her, and if he had any regrets.
Why go home at all?
Esp in the van?
Makes no sense!

he could have run away!

I don't know, but to me that sounds unusual. I don't see why you wouldn't care about what's in the notebook...unless maybe he's afraid Brian wrote inner thoughts about his pain over losing Gabby...and he doesn't want to hear about it?

IMO it’s not always helpful or beneficial to learn more. I may change my mind in the future, but in the five years since someone molested my child, I have not wanted to request or read a transcript of the forensic interview that took place while we, the parents, sat, churning with anguish, in a waiting room. I know essentially what happened, and I know who did it. The details just might destroy me.

My guess is that he felt it was his only option. After the person giving him a ride dropped him back off at the campsite, he was standing at an active crime scene and he could have needed to leave immediately before someone saw him there. Walking away would be extremely risky (at some point he was bound to run into people) so he thought his only option was to leave in the van. None of what he did was smart including taking the van. IMO.
Why not turn himself in right there?
He told people where his girlfriend was. He said that she was back in the van at spread creek campground.

He could have reported her missing after getting back from his walkabout and then be surprised when she is found.

Only a person that wants the chair would do what he did. Unless he did not know she was dead.

@LeeJay55
It costs money to go on the run and if he had to rely on GP's credit card to get home, I doubt there was an abundance of funds available. He could have called family and was advised to come home. None of what he did was well thought out or the smartest option. IMO.

This popped into my head earlier. Was this discussed here? Guessing it was and I missed it. Why did Gabby say she was from California when they were pulled over? I believe she was born on Long Island in Suffolk County, NY, lived in NC along the coast for awhile and then moved to FL with BL. Was she actually born in CA so that's an accurate statement?
Gabby Petito & Brian Laundrie Utah Bodycam Footage Transcript Before Disappearance

Officer Robbins: (18:00)
ITO. You guys both live in Florida, right? That’s where you guys come from?

Gabby Petito: (
18:03)
My license says Florida right now, but I’m from California.
The transcript is wrong. She said My license says Florida right now, but I’m from Holbrook.
It's two syllables and not Long Island that's 3 syllables. She is from the Holbrook area.

He told people where his girlfriend was. He said that she was back in the van at spread creek campground.

He could have reported her missing after getting back from his walkabout and then be surprised when she is found.

Only a person that wants the chair would do what he did. Unless he did not know she was dead.

Why not turn himself in once he got back to Florida instead of evading LE? Because he wasn't going to turn himself in, period. I think he called someone shortly after the homicide and was advised to come home. I believe he definitely knew she was deceased because he was the perpetrator. IMO.

Things that make ya go Hmmmmmm!

I just listened to that again. I have noticed mistakes in that transcript before. I don’t think she says California. But I don’t know what she does say

jmo
I haven't listened to it, but is it possible she said South Carolina? Carolina...California. I guess I should listen before I comment!

This popped into my head earlier. Was this discussed here? Guessing it was and I missed it. Why did Gabby say she was from California when they were pulled over? I believe she was born on Long Island in Suffolk County, NY, lived in NC along the coast for awhile and then moved to FL with BL. Was she actually born in CA so that's an accurate statement?
Gabby Petito & Brian Laundrie Utah Bodycam Footage Transcript Before Disappearance

Officer Robbins: (18:00)
ITO. You guys both live in Florida, right? That’s where you guys come from?

Gabby Petito: (
18:03)
My license says Florida right now, but I’m from California.

It looks and sounds like she says “but I’m from New York”.

I believe 'everything' Gabby is still in evidence with the FBI. I don't know how they will be able to view it all without running into her killer's pic in with all her other pic's.

That I would imagine will be really rough for them to see. It may be even harder for them to view any of it because it will always be a reminder of what happened on that trip. jmo

bbm
You're absolutely right, @Barbie619, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here:
Every time I see a pic of the two of them together, I have to close my eyes -- I cannot tolerate seeing that awful and selfish man. My eyes closing is now automatic -- they just shut like a bright light shining in my eyes, even if Gabby looks so pretty and sweet. I just can't stand seeing him with that sleazy smile.

And I'm thinking Gabby's friends and certainly her parents/step-parents and other family members will have the same reaction. In addition, her mom & dad will have a hurt that I cannot imagine.

Note: not placing blame on anyone. A person’s decision to end their life is their decision. No one can be blamed for their action.

Been thinking about why BL took the time to drive back to FL, only to allegedly take his own life. MOO, he returned to FL expecting parental support. I think, after Gabby’s parents started calling, his parents may have started asking him questions. Then, when her body was found, his parents had an aha moment. I think there could have been and argument, disagreement. Maybe his parents expressed disappointment and encouraged him to turn himself in. MOO, maybe this is when the enormity of his actions hit him, he leaves home, upset, and makes his decision. JMO/MOO

Note: not placing blame on anyone. A person’s decision to end their life is their decision. No one can be blamed for their action.

Been thinking about why BL took the time to drive back to FL, only to allegedly take his own life. MOO, he returned to FL expecting parental support. I think, after Gabby’s parents started calling, his parents may have started asking him questions. Then, when her body was found, his parents had an aha moment. I think there could have been and argument, disagreement. Maybe his parents expressed disappointment and encouraged him to turn himself in. MOO, maybe this is when the enormity of his actions hit him, he leaves home, upset, and makes his decision. JMO/MOO
Except he left home BEFORE her body was located.

Maybe. Though in some article or other posted here, at least one person from high school described them both as sort of loners who found each other. And she has not been described as having a large circle of friends, nor have we (I mean "I") seen where she was up on friends' social media or in touch with anyone other than BL, RD, and her own family.

That’s right—someone did say that about them in high school (I’d forgotten). That makes me think again about the vibe I was getting from GP’s lengthy IG posts… They weren’t only seeming to hold BL up on a pedestal — they sort of presented everyone else as plebs. These two were the “experienced hikers” who “surpassed” others on the trail (I think the intended word was “passed”, but the error struck me as revealing, anyway). Some after-the-crime followers caught this, tone, too, and accused BL of writing or editing these posts in GP’s place. I think it’s more likely she just genuinely shared some of his views about themselves and the world (whether original or acquired, though, I cannot say). JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat