Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it had to start dawning on them at some point, I'm just no longer sure when. The thing that's throwing me off is the time frame.

Okay. Please, correct me if I'm wrong about the time frame. I'm 100% serious. I am honestly trying to figure this out.

Brian had been home for approximately 10 days then everything seemed to happen at once, between the 10th and the 13th. During that short timeframe, we have the phone calls from Gabby's parents, Gabby is reported missing, the cops show up at the Laundries, the Laundries hire a lawyer, the van is towed, and Brian is seen alive for the last time. Now LE is saying he probably died shortly after he left his parent's house. Did all this happen in a little over 72 hours, after him being home for 10 days?

Looking at that, IMO, Brian's lies to everyone including his parents were falling apart.
MOO, there are a couple possibilities.

First is that his parents knew everything from the start.

Second possibility is that he returned home, there were lots of questions that he deflected, lied about, or responded to vaguely. Bits came out in dribs and drabs. His parents could tell that something was wrong, that he was worried, anxious, and also that his answers weren't adding up. They were pressuring him for some answers. Calls and texts started coming from her family, first just a little concerned, "Have you heard from the kids? We haven't heard from them in a while" (which would have been a MAJOR clue that something was wrong. Not only is Gabby apparently unaccounted for, but she hasn't been in touch with her parents at ALL, not even to tell them that the two had "split up" and that BL was driving the van home, or whatever BS he made up, if he bothered to lie to them.) Then more insistent, more alarmed. Finally, her father's text: "If I don't hear from you, I'm calling the police."

By the time the police show up at the door, they know it's coming. Someone has contacted them from the PD the night before, on the 10th, probably when GP's parents called the Northport police to try to make a report or ask for a wellness check after NS was not allowed to make a missing person report that day. By then, the Laundries knew that they needed to get a lawyer involved.

Then, the van is towed off, also on the 11th. BL knows that everything is coming unravelled. He is caught, totally caught. He and his parents discuss the situation, he consults with Bertolino. He is told what's probably going to happen. He may not be arrested today, but he'll be arrested. He's going to jail, even if he isn't convicted, he's going to be sitting in jail for some time, maybe for a year or two until the case comes to trial. By the 13th, the tension that's been mounting since he killed her finally becomes too much and he heads off to the preserve.

MOO.

I'll probably never know who knew what when, but when a couple calls off an engagement vs postpones a wedding, something is wrong. As a parent, I'd want to know why are you calling off the engagement. Being young as a reason to call off vs postpone doesn't work for me. Some signs of trouble had to be present before this van trip.

MOO
I’ve read that they “called it off” and also “postponed” it. What version is the truth? I don’t know but I’ve always wondered if it was “called off” so GP and BL could use the wedding funds for their Vanlife trip MOO

I’ve read that they “called it off” and also “postponed” it. What version is the truth? I don’t know but I’ve always wondered if it was “called off” so GP and BL could use the wedding funds for their Vanlife trip MOO

I believe NS said they called it off because they decided they were too young. JP said they postponed the wedding because of COVID. And Rose said GP told NS the engagement was off but it really wasn't.

I expect you are correct some wedding money was converted into trip money.
JMO

Brian had been home for approximately 10 days then everything seemed to happen at once, between the 10th and the 13th. During that short timeframe, we have the phone calls from Gabby's parents, Gabby is reported missing, the cops show up at the Laundries, the Laundries hire a lawyer, the van is towed, and Brian is seen alive for the last time. Now LE is saying he probably died shortly after he left his parent's house. Did all this happen in a little over 72 hours, after him being home for 10 days?

Looking at that, IMO, Brian's lies to everyone including his parents were falling apart.
I'm right here with you.

If BL had told his parents early on about what had happened, and the Ls were the horrible, callous people so many are calling them, why would they NOT have prepped him to go on the run and help hide him forever? They didn't do that. They took him to visit their grandkids, go camping, shopping, biking, etc. Murder does not just go away. I do not think a new phone would have been purchased had they hoped he would turn himself in or known his intentions of suicide, either. And why not call SB sooner? There's just nothing in their behavior in those first 10 days to indicate that they knew GP was dead. JMO.

But, from the 10th on...tables had turned.

I remind myself how important it is to remember that by the 13th, when BL went to the swamp, GP was only a missing person. The van was impounded, but basically, that was it. Nobody knew anything yet. No search or arrest warrants, no tips to Spread Creek, no body, nothing. I'm sure BL figured it was just a matter of time, but he could have waited it out. Instead, he likely killed himself. I think he didn't want to live with his family, GP's family, or himself knowing what he had done. JMO.

I got the sense that the engagement was a bit impulsive and that both were very committed to the relationship, but there seemed not to be any reason to rush into a wedding. Maybe they also wanted to wait until COVID was totally behind all of us so that they didn't need to worry about safety and the politics of whether friends and family would be offended about their safety protocol decisions. If I had been engaged just before the pandemic, I'd probably have also put my wedding plans on hold until there was a little more certainty and I didn't need to worry about a new wave making travel or indoor get-togethers risky or difficult.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it had to start dawning on them at some point, I'm just no longer sure when. The thing that's throwing me off is the time frame.

Okay. Please, correct me if I'm wrong about the time frame. I'm 100% serious. I am honestly trying to figure this out.

We don't know that BL told his parents any lies. We don't know what he told them about anything.

Not quite the same situation, though, is it?
Not the same situation at all. But legally speaking I'm not sure if it makes a difference.

He drove her vehicle to her house and left it there. There was no indication *at that time*, that it was a crime. I don't think the police could have used that as a reason to search the house. MOO

Thanks for the reply.

YES!! It's SO frustrating to try to sort that out!! And it's exactly why I said earlier (somewhere in the previous 84 threads) something to the effect of....
  • I can't see how they could have possibly known all along. (We're camping, we're biking, we're mowing the lawn, we're visiting the grand babies....what kind of diabolical people can behave like that if they know their child has murdered his girlfriend??)
  • And yet, I can't see how they didn't know all along. (What kind of totally extinct parents of a child that's lived with them most of 23 years would be so bereft of common sense, intuition, questions, etc....)
I'm still totally mystified by either option!

YES!! It's SO frustrating to try to sort that out!! And it's exactly why I said earlier (somewhere in the previous 84 threads) something to the effect of....
  • I can't see how they could have possibly known all along. (We're camping, we're biking, we're mowing the lawn, we're visiting the grand babies....what kind of diabolical people can behave like that if they know their child has murdered his girlfriend??)
  • And yet, I can't see how they didn't know all along. (What kind of totally extinct parents of a child that's lived with them most of 23 years would be so bereft of common sense, intuition, questions, etc....)
They should have been able to put 2 and 2 together. I did from the start

They should have been able to put 2 and 2 together. I did from the start

Almost everyone did....it would have to be a relationship that's weaker than the one I have with my substitute UPS driver in order for his parents not to immediately and intuitively understand that something was very very seriously off. And yet...we're camping, we're biking, we're mowing the law, we're visiting the grand babies.....

I'm not sure a vehicle parked at the owner's place of residence could be considered stolen. Just because a person isn't home, doesn't mean thier roommate stole their car. MOO

NPPD recently stated that Gabby and BL had moved to New York BEFORE leaving for their road trip, so the Laundrie's house was no longer her place of residence (if it ever actually was.). So, it was no longer a matter of her not being home, at least at the Laundrie's house, it was a matter of BL having the vehicle at his parents house.

NPPD recently stated that Gabby and BL had moved to New York BEFORE leaving for their road trip, so the Laundrie's house was no longer her place of residence (if it ever actually was.). So, it was no longer a matter of her not being home, at least at the Laundrie's house, it was a matter of BL having the vehicle at his parents house.

Good point - they (NPPD) can't really have it both ways.

Almost everyone did....it would have to be a relationship that's weaker than the one I have with my substitute UPS driver in order for his parents not to immediately and intuitively understand that something was very very seriously off. And yet...we're camping, we're biking, we're mowing the law, we're visiting the grand babies.....
I keep wondering if BL's post-murder behavior, as described by SB, was perhaps not out of the ordinary for BL when he was unhappy. What his parents saw might have been disheartening, but not necessarily alarming. Idk...

I'm right here with you.

If BL had told his parents early on about what had happened, and the Ls were the horrible, callous people so many are calling them, why would they NOT have prepped him to go on the run and help hide him forever? They didn't do that. They took him to visit their grandkids, go camping, shopping, biking, etc. Murder does not just go away. I do not think a new phone would have been purchased had they hoped he would turn himself in or known his intentions of suicide, either. And why not call SB sooner? There's just nothing in their behavior in those first 10 days to indicate that they knew GP was dead. JMO.

But, from the 10th on...tables had turned.

I remind myself how important it is to remember that by the 13th, when BL went to the swamp, GP was only a missing person. The van was impounded, but basically, that was it. Nobody knew anything yet. No search or arrest warrants, no tips to Spread Creek, no body, nothing. I'm sure BL figured it was just a matter of time, but he could have waited it out. Instead, he likely killed himself. I think he didn't want to live with his family, GP's family, or himself knowing what he had done. JMO.

BBM

Guilt... the gift that keeps on giving.
Erma Bombeck

Thanks for the reply and I agree.

It's 100% true that we have almost no facts about the Laundries and certainly none about their family dynamics. Perhaps, with no real info to go on, we view the situation through the lens of our own experiences. In my case, the kids in my family never, ever, ever told our parents anything. So the fact that Brian might have successfully hidden what had happened to Gabby seems 100% plausible to me. "Um, yeah, we broke up. She left the van with me. I'm fine. I don't want to talk about it. Let's get the kids and go camping." IMO, people who have a normally open relationship with their parents believe Brian talked to them or at least had trouble hiding things from them. Maybe. No one knows what's actually true. Although, we saw how smoothly he could manipulate a situation at the Moab stop.

What really stumps me and makes me think the Laundries were kind of clueless about their son is the fact they let him go to Carlton Reserve alone, didn't follow him there, didn't check on him sooner. Half of WS believed he had killed himself. He was an obvious suicide risk, but his own parents didn't realize it? That makes no sense whatsoever unless they did not know the depth of his troubles. JMO

Last edited:

The van's Florida registration said she lived there. The story that they'd moved to NY seems to be a rather recent story from the NPPD. It's odd neither NS nor JS who actually live in NY ever mentioned that move. And it's odd JP said he moved to FL (I think as recently as this past summer) to be close to GP.
JMO

I'll probably never know who knew what when, but when a couple calls off an engagement vs postpones a wedding, something is wrong. As a parent, I'd want to know why are you calling off the engagement. Being young as a reason to call off vs postpone doesn't work for me. Some signs of trouble had to be present before this van trip.

MOO
They called it off because of covid IIRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members