Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #4 Sherry Ann Jarvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely photos of her from a more carefree time. She looks absolutely nothing like what I’d imagined from the PM photos or the resulting reconstructions. I guess we’ve never seen her smiling until now.

I am totally surprised that she’s from the opposite end of the country. When I heard she was not from Texas I was assuming nearby states. Also very shocked that a child could be removed from their family just for truanting. What a horrific punishment for Sherri and her family. And a fat lot of good it did.

RIP young Sherri <3 may you and your family have peace now.

It still happens today -- education is compulsory up to a certain age, and failure to ensure your child receives an education is considered educational neglect. The kids I see placed under ed neglect typically have other JD behaviors or issues in the home, but it can and does happen for ed neglect alone.

Rest in peace, Sherri

I have to say I'm really surprised how different she looks from the post mortem pictures, but I'm happy to have them replaced in my mind.
Hopefully someone she met out there remembers her and is able to provide some information.

This is so bittersweet - I can't help but also thinnk of all the girls that were thought to be her and who still remain missing.

The Rebekah home, Cathy/Kathleen, Texas yearbooks.. we were miles away, physically and otherwise. But I hope Sherri's siblings and other family members can take some comfort in the hours we spent trying to give her her name back, and how loved she was by us all.

Especially since she wrote the letter to her family saying she wasn't going to come back. :(
The family wrote: "Sherri never returned to our home as promised in a letter...". Actually, it's unclear whether he meant she promised to come home or she promised to never come home. I'm inclined to believe she promised to come home because that interpretation is more in keeping with the tone of the text and because "promise" has a positive connotation.
Not that this would affect the investigation...

Sherri's eyelids have "folds"...
Although not common in Caucasians, they also are not rare. (An example is Greta Thunberg, young climate activist)
This is something that would not be obvious in a post-mortem photo.

Do you mean hooded lids, or something else? I don't think Sherri's lids look hooded. JMO. I'm mixed white/Asian and have hooded lids FWIW.

The family wrote: "Sherri never returned to our home as promised in a letter...". Actually, it's unclear whether he meant she promised to come home or she promised to never come home. I'm inclined to believe she promised to come home because that interpretation is more in keeping with the tone of the text and because "promise" has a positive connotation.
Not that this would affect the investigation...

Oh, you might be right. I might've misread it.

Wow! She is so beautiful!
Have been holding back,on this thread, --long time lurker, though!
My deepest condolences to her family,friends and all left behind.
I do hope you can grieve in peace,and also hope ,with that,that justice and all unanswered questions will prevail.

Do you mean hooded lids, or something else? I don't think Sherri's lids look hooded. JMO. I'm mixed white/Asian and have hooded lids FWIW.

There are subtle variations throughout northern Europe.
I don't know all the techie terms for eyelids.

Her eyes are just a bit different than the average northern European and would have been hard to be picked up in a post-mortem photo. (For obvious reasons)

There is always mention that she had no identification. I'm just trying to think back how old I was when I first started carrying ID. It was probably after I received my Social Insurance Number at the age of 16. Even now, I wonder how many 13 or 14 year olds carry ID. Do kids in grade school carry ID? The US has no compulsory ID card to carry, neither does Canada.

I agree,for us in the UK we used to have national insurance cards at 16 (I used to use my Mum's to buy cigarettes :oops:) but now they dont even issue them anymore. I think 13
/14 years olds would be identified by their tech these days if they still had it on them which isn't guaranteed.
The big difference now would be the Internet and 24 hour news at your fingertips, and national police databases and even then there are many lost,and many found but still unknown :(

She was beautiful and looked like she would brighten up a room.
You were right all along,she was just a baby. X
Yeah, her postmortem, she looked so young to me.
I can't even imagine being a family member and having to look at that and read the details about what was done to her.
Let's identify the miscreant that did this to her.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Idk how the Ellis prison unit factors in but when she ran away she probably just started hitchhiking and eventually made her way down there. She may have gotten a ride at some point from some guy that was older and from Texas so he knew about Ellis (he may have been in there at one point) and she sorta started to have a crush on him...he may have told her stories about how he was in prison and he was just a bad boy but he ended up dumping her off somewhere and she was forced to get another ride. After hearing about Huntsville and the prison unit maybe she thought that she could just go there and meet someone else (I’m sure she didn’t know the rules of visitation) so she ended up getting off in Huntsville and the ride she was with probably went to Houston.

Well after asking people for directions to Ellis she knew that she would have to find a ride there because it’s at least 10 miles from where she was located (I used to work there so that’s about an estimate based on her location). She was at a truck stop so she probably asked if any of them were going that way and the one that volunteered to bring her knew that she was his next victim. She got in the truck and her fate was sealed. This was not his first time and probably wasn’t his last. He had no plans to bring her anywhere near Ellis because it’s totally the opposite direction from where she was found (she was found on the side of the highway that goes to Houston.

I know I’m not right but somewhere along the line it makes sense somewhere in there

un
I am totally surprised that she’s from the opposite end of the country. When I heard she was not from Texas I was assuming nearby states. Also very shocked that a child could be removed from their family just for truanting. What a horrific punishment for Sherri and her family. And a fat lot of good it did.

RIP young Sherri <3 may you and your family have peace now.
I completely agree! I mean taking her away from her family seems very harsh. I mean she could have lied to her family about going to school. If she was a latchkey kid or her parents both had fulltime jobs that would be easy. She could have told them she took the bus to school everyday but instead just stayed home.

I completely agree! I mean taking her away from her family seems very harsh. I mean she could have lied to her family about going to school. If she was a latchkey kid or her parents both had fulltime jobs that would be easy. She could have told them she took the bus to school everyday but instead just stayed home.
In principal, unless a child is being abused, I am very much opposed to removing them from the home for being "incorrigible'. However, we don't know the exact circumstances that led up to this action, so it's really not fair for us to judge it. It's all a moot point given her horrific demise.

Now the focus is on finding her killer!

Amateur opinion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members