Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, 31 May 2019 #4

No 1 of 2018 - Coroners Court

Part 7: Directions Hearings

The Coroner at any time may list the case for a directions hearing.

The purpose of a directions hearing is to ensure any hearing is limited to the speedy determination of the real issues in the proceedings. At the directions hearing the following issues are to be determined if not previously resolved:

(I)
Applications for the granting of leave to persons with sufficient interest who wish to appear at the inquest or inquiry;

(II)
Venue;

(III)
Confirmation of issues to be determined at the hearing;

(IV)
The witnesses to be called to give evidence including the use of audio visual link or other technology;

(V)
Applications by persons granted leave to appear for additional witnesses to be called or any additional evidence obtained to be tendered;

(VI)
The reception of expert evidence at the hearing;

(VII)
Claims for public interest immunity;

(VIII)
Confirming a proper estimation for the length of the hearing and hearing dates;

(IX)
Special arrangements or facilities required during the course of the proceedings;

(X)
Non publication orders;

(XI)
The Coroner may set timetables for the service of evidence by interested persons;

(XII)
Any other preliminary/procedural issues.

No 1 of 2018 - Coroners Court

Part 7: Directions Hearings

The Coroner at any time may list the case for a directions hearing.

The purpose of a directions hearing is to ensure any hearing is limited to the speedy determination of the real issues in the proceedings. At the directions hearing the following issues are to be determined if not previously resolved:

(I)
Applications for the granting of leave to persons with sufficient interest who wish to appear at the inquest or inquiry;

(II)
Venue;

(III)
Confirmation of issues to be determined at the hearing;

(IV)
The witnesses to be called to give evidence including the use of audio visual link or other technology;

(V)
Applications by persons granted leave to appear for additional witnesses to be called or any additional evidence obtained to be tendered;

(VI)
The reception of expert evidence at the hearing;

(VII)
Claims for public interest immunity;

(VIII)
Confirming a proper estimation for the length of the hearing and hearing dates;

(IX)
Special arrangements or facilities required during the course of the proceedings;

(X)
Non publication orders;

(XI)
The Coroner may set timetables for the service of evidence by interested persons;

(XII)
Any other preliminary/procedural issues.
Thank you for that clarification.

Report of that hearing

Theo Hayez’s family plans trip for inquest

She (counsel assisting) expressed frustration at what she called a “sorry history” of delays in the case, saying it was unacceptable to still be waiting for material three years after the matter was referred to the coroner.

State Coroner Teresa O’Connor agreed and went further to say repeated failures to meet deadlines also disrespected Theo’s family.

Report of that hearing

Theo Hayez’s family plans trip for inquest

She (counsel assisting) expressed frustration at what she called a “sorry history” of delays in the case, saying it was unacceptable to still be waiting for material three years after the matter was referred to the coroner.

State Coroner Teresa O’Connor agreed and went further to say repeated failures to meet deadlines also disrespected Theo’s family.
Thank you for the information! At least someone is taking some responsibility.

Theo would have been 21 a few days ago. How on earth are they still finalising material for the case, and a large amount to be finalised still? 2 years and 4 months since this kid went missing, a visitor to our shores and not only does he go missing, but almost 2 and a half years later, with countless delays, and the coroner’s inquest now under two months away, they still haven’t got everything finalised

that’s just absolutely pathetic! Embarrassing! Distasteful and borderline corrupt! Have some respect for Theo, his family! And even the people who have dedicated a portion of their life for nothing else but to help find the truth for Theo and his family!

Lord knows that’s the least they should expect!

ok rant over!

Attachments

• 07D421A3-7636-41B7-882C-B1E4654910EA.jpeg
    07D421A3-7636-41B7-882C-B1E4654910EA.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 21
Here is an interesting article on an assault by police officers in Byron Bay in 2018 for which the officers were acquitted by the local court in Lismore.
ttps://www.sydneycriminallawyers.com.au/blog/not-guilty-verdict-for-nsw-police-officer-highlights-bias-in-criminal-justice-system/
NSW Police Officer Found Not Guilty of Assaulting Naked Teen
I mean, I’m no copper, but you would think after using capsicum spray, a taser, 12 baton strikes, a double handcuffing, and another 6 baton strikes, ya might change your way of conflict resolution?

Cops say he was aggressive, witnesses say he was dazed and confused.

I know who I’m believing everyday of the week and it ain’t the hot fuzz let me tell ya!

Here is an interesting article on an assault by police officers in Byron Bay in 2018 for which the officers were acquitted by the local court in Lismore.
ttps://www.sydneycriminallawyers.com.au/blog/not-guilty-verdict-for-nsw-police-officer-highlights-bias-in-criminal-justice-system/
NSW Police Officer Found Not Guilty of Assaulting Naked Teen

There is a long history of police misconduct in this area.
See this record of Tristan Naudis experience before passing away at Lismore base hospital after having his 000 calls for ambulances dirty downgraded to be assisted by only police after a reaction to a substance.
Summer Season: He wanted an ambulance. He got a police "dog box".

Tristan called triple-0 for help. Police took him to hospital in a 'dog box'
“there was a toxic culture, encapsulated by an acronym — CARE.
C-A-R-E means Cover *advertiser censored*, Retain Employment."

There is so much corruption here.

I mean, I’m no copper, but you would think after using capsicum spray, a taser, 12 baton strikes, a double handcuffing, and another 6 baton strikes, ya might change your way of conflict resolution?

Cops say he was aggressive, witnesses say he was dazed and confused.

I know who I’m believing everyday of the week and it ain’t the hot fuzz let me tell ya!
I can now think of one more explanation why Theo was running on his way to Tallow Beach.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is a long history of police misconduct in this area.
See this record of Tristan Naudis experience before passing away at Lismore base hospital after having his 000 calls for ambulances dirty downgraded to be assisted by only police after a reaction to a substance.
Summer Season: He wanted an ambulance. He got a police "dog box".

Tristan called triple-0 for help. Police took him to hospital in a 'dog box'
“there was a toxic culture, encapsulated by an acronym — CARE.
C-A-R-E means Cover *advertiser censored*, Retain Employment."

There is so much corruption here.
Cover *advertiser censored*, Retain employment you say?

who’s gonna police the police right?

Rules - Etiquette & Information

LAW ENFORCEMENT

Websleuths is primarily pro law enforcement. Speculation, insinuations of coverup, corruption or conspiracies are not allowed unless there is MSM to support such discussion. Generalized bashing of law enforcement is not allowed.

Members of Law Enforcement regularly read at WS. Generally they contact WS Admins when they register, but there is no requirement that they do so. Unless they ask us to, we do not publicly identify them, but all posters should be aware that public comments about illegal activity could bring them attention they may not want. WS receives subpoenas on a regular basis from various agencies. WS will comply with all valid subpoenas received.

LAW ENFORCEMENT

Websleuths is primarily pro law enforcement. Speculation, insinuations of coverup, corruption or conspiracies are not allowed unless there is MSM to support such discussion. Generalized bashing of law enforcement is not allowed.

Members of Law Enforcement regularly read at WS. Generally they contact WS Admins when they register, but there is no requirement that they do so. Unless they ask us to, we do not publicly identify them, but all posters should be aware that public comments about illegal activity could bring them attention they may not want. WS receives subpoenas on a regular basis from various agencies. WS will comply with all valid subpoenas received.
I get what you’re saying. However where was the police bashing without evidence? There are clearly stories from MSM posted, so again, where is the police bashing?

if anything, the police should be held to a higher standard to avoid any corruption.

Just cos they are the police, that should not make them immune to their work and conduct being looked at and investigated.

LAW ENFORCEMENT

Maybe I’m just mistaken? Maybe no police ever have been corrupt? Just ask Terry Lewis

LAW ENFORCEMENT

If they don’t like evidence of conducting themselves poorly to come up, they should DO BETTER. Everything mentioned was backed by evidence. Yes, “not all cops”, but.. most of them.

Coronial inquest into Theo Hayez's mystery disappearance to begin in Byron Bay

There are a few interesting things in this article. Especially where it mentions Antoine Van Laethem is expected to be a "significant witness" in the inquest. I wonder if he is just significant cos he was with Theo when he was last seen alive, or could there be something else?

“A preliminary meeting of the parties — or direction's hearing — heard a large number of overseas witnesses were expected to give evidence via audiovisual link.”

“The Coroner's Court heard fellow Belgian backpacker Antoine Van Laethem, who stayed at the WakeUp! Hostel with Theo and was with him at the nightclub on the night he disappeared, is expected to be a "significant witness" in the inquest. ”

Coronial inquest into Theo Hayez's mystery disappearance to begin in Byron Bay

There are a few interesting things in this article. Especially where it mentions Antoine Van Laethem is expected to be a "significant witness" in the inquest. I wonder if he is just significant cos he was with Theo when he was last seen alive, or could there be something else?

“A preliminary meeting of the parties — or direction's hearing — heard a large number of overseas witnesses were expected to give evidence via audiovisual link.”

“The Coroner's Court heard fellow Belgian backpacker Antoine Van Laethem, who stayed at the WakeUp! Hostel with Theo and was with him at the nightclub on the night he disappeared, is expected to be a "significant witness" in the inquest. ”
Here’s hoping we have a thorough inquest.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back