NH NH - Rachael Garden, 15, Newton, 22 March 1980

I think Rachael Garden went into that store on the night of March 22,1980, and Never came back out. -I’d like to take into consideration a certain few incidentals concerning the Store keeper at the time.
That he had a store up in Lyme NH back in 1970 and in January of that year, shot and killed a 20yr old unarmed local resident store Patron to which the Town of Lyme NH dedicated a memorial Park to him and his family after his murder. The Store Keeper was convicted. In April of 1970, His lawyer failed in his defense to prove any supportive evidence that his client was innocent and had acted in self defense. The store keepers Lawyer last name was Gardner.
After serving time for that crime, he moved from Lyme NH 120miles south to Newton NH to open another Store. In Another low populated 1 cop town. In 1980, that little section of RT108 was barely known only but to its inhabitants to which everyone knew one another within a mile diameter and then some of that store.
There’s still no street lights, or sidewalks along that section of RT108 to this day, and I support that in 1980,that there was hardly anyone out at that hour, as a result of that, at 9-9:30PM The Store Keeper would be the Last person who seen or spoke to her. No one outside was there to See her leave the store…And the Coincidence that the Store Keeper again had the unfortunate relapse in fate in having a second victim of circumstance on his store property -now in 1980,-Ten years of the first victim back in Jan 1970. Lyme,NH,Newton,NH, both Small backwoods type towns. ..And all of these possible tips, theories, and sighting Distractions over the years are just locals thinking out of the Box. In 1984 -4years after Rachael Garden mysteriously disappeared from that spot, the Storekeeper sold the store at Rowes Corner, and purchased another store 4miles up the same road on RT108 into E.Kingston NH. I spoke to him one day about the flyer of Rachael he had in the window of his store. The response Verbatim to the words on the flyer,-he looked very,very tired, (Ghosts will do that to a person). And today everyone pretty much moved away from there including Rachaels family. . ..In my opinion, it’s “Beyond the Beyonds” why the NH State Police, or any other State Agency never went in to search the store at Rowes Corner to rule it out. -It doesn’t always mean that the last person who seen her is guilty, but the last person has that luxury to utilize the common nature of the surroundings, and direct any distraction away from themselves. 80% of Victims know their killer, 60% take a souvenir from their victim and move away. -and those who get caught did so because of the little things that they didn’t pay attention to. Human nature tends repeats itself in our society so much so that crimes, and antidotes left alone never change. -Based on that, I truly doubt that Rachael Garden has ever left Newton,NH.

Maybe you should turn this in as a tip

I think Rachael Garden went into that store on the night of March 22,1980, and Never came back out. -I’d like to take into consideration a certain few incidentals concerning the Store keeper at the time.
That he had a store up in Lyme NH back in 1970 and in January of that year, shot and killed a 20yr old unarmed local resident store Patron to which the Town of Lyme NH dedicated a memorial Park to him and his family after his murder. The Store Keeper was convicted. In April of 1970, His lawyer failed in his defense to prove any supportive evidence that his client was innocent and had acted in self defense. The store keepers Lawyer last name was Gardner.
After serving time for that crime, he moved from Lyme NH 120miles south to Newton NH to open another Store. In Another low populated 1 cop town. In 1980, that little section of RT108 was barely known only but to its inhabitants to which everyone knew one another within a mile diameter and then some of that store.
There’s still no street lights, or sidewalks along that section of RT108 to this day, and I support that in 1980,that there was hardly anyone out at that hour, as a result of that, at 9-9:30PM The Store Keeper would be the Last person who seen or spoke to her. No one outside was there to See her leave the store…And the Coincidence that the Store Keeper again had the unfortunate relapse in fate in having a second victim of circumstance on his store property -now in 1980,-Ten years of the first victim back in Jan 1970. Lyme,NH,Newton,NH, both Small backwoods type towns. ..And all of these possible tips, theories, and sighting Distractions over the years are just locals thinking out of the Box. In 1984 -4years after Rachael Garden mysteriously disappeared from that spot, the Storekeeper sold the store at Rowes Corner, and purchased another store 4miles up the same road on RT108 into E.Kingston NH. I spoke to him one day about the flyer of Rachael he had in the window of his store. The response Verbatim to the words on the flyer,-he looked very,very tired, (Ghosts will do that to a person). And today everyone pretty much moved away from there including Rachaels family. . ..In my opinion, it’s “Beyond the Beyonds” why the NH State Police, or any other State Agency never went in to search the store at Rowes Corner to rule it out. -It doesn’t always mean that the last person who seen her is guilty, but the last person has that luxury to utilize the common nature of the surroundings, and direct any distraction away from themselves. 80% of Victims know their killer, 60% take a souvenir from their victim and move away. -and those who get caught did so because of the little things that they didn’t pay attention to. Human nature tends repeats itself in our society so much so that crimes, and antidotes left alone never change. -Based on that, I truly doubt that Rachael Garden has ever left Newton,NH.

Wow, never extracted this from the info available....you sure took a good look. Is the storekeeper's name somewhere out there?

I found All this info in a matter of 3 Days. It’s all there. -The store keeper, and his wife had responded in most of the interviews made at the time of Rachael Gardens disappearance, there’s no doubt that they knew her. In what capacity? -Only those people from that time know. Yet, it should be noted, that in one of the interviews both the wife, and storekeeper expanded on Rachaels personality, with the store keepers wife stating that she was a typical teenager, specifically noting on her use of foul language. I thought that may have had some history. I’d also like to point out that March 22 1980 was still very much Winter in Newton NH, and that most lakes and Ponds were still Frozen, as was the Ground. So if you were to make someone disappear at that time, you may have had to hide the victim for a few more weeks before you could dispose of them through obvious methods. There was someone else that left a post about the Storekeeper on another website concerning Rachael Garden missing, who also mentioned the murder conviction,And the obvious choice that he had done the crime involving Rachael. and somehow that person having his kids over the shopkeepers house and that the kids were upset about him sitting next to them I don’t know how old the kids were, and if it was in relation to him being a perv? Can’t elaborate on that, but it seemed that it was leading there. Anyway.there was some history there from that person who posted. -Somebody really truly dropped the ball here by sweeping it under the rug. I was 16 and just north of Boston when this happened, I remember her face every time they show it on an anniversary..it’s been 41 years now and it took me less than three days to dig up a pile of bones that went back to 1970 and Murder conviction tied to the same guy that was being questioned about another victim in another one of his stores…I guess its starting to piss me off.

Last edited:
I went online to the Astroseek astrology website, and ran her birthdate, and birth location to produce her Natal Life Chart and was able to go all the way back to March 21,22,23 of 1980 at the time of her disappearance to read about where her Planets, Moon, and sun were aligned.- the Natal Life Chart is very,Very accurate to ones daily existence ,it reads out your days by the hour, and it read to the extent of the recent troubles she was having at home, which was noted in all of the articles to her disappearance. It read a few times that because of her planets lining up the way they were for her to beware of certain people she knew..a bit upsetting to read about that part which obviously lead up to her last hours.

To confirm on a quote: Located at -stillunsolved.Wordpress.com “search:Rachael garden”- brings you to “Disappearance of a Newton NH teenager remains cold case” at the bottom of the page is the Comments section, and the 4th comment by “Edward” posted Dec 14,2013 @10:58 pm accurately clears up what I had said about the kid(s) being creeped out and that the storekeepers own daughter had multiple locks on the inside of her bedroom door..it goes on with more suspicion……- I don’t know what it is about the storekeeper, but something is just not right.
After 3+years someone comes forward to blame her disappearance on three bad guys in a car, the cops run it down after 3 years has past with nothing coming out of it, then one-of the bad guys years after being questioned, mouths off in a bar that he killed her, and then sobers up two days later to say he never said it..-After years of something happening people come forth saying they saw this, and that because it’s safer to be vague and at a far distance to the crime than it is to be there at questioning when it just happened.

Just had a conversation with someone who lived a few numbers down from the Rowes Cornet Market Store, they mentioned that the new owners had upgraded the inside because of how run down it was about 10 years or so ago, but he mentioned specifically how Bad it smelled inside before the upgrade…I asked “if it smelled like an old corpse” and he said “yeah, Lol, like something died in there long ago”. Funny that the website “Yelp” reviews of the Rowes corner Market were similar in stating an Odor to the place..
*Ain’t lettin up Rachael, your in my ear, gonna keep lookin kiddo.

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I would like to offer some possible insight to help find Rachael Garden. Has anyone considered Kenoza lake in Haverhill, MA as a possible place that Rachael could have been taken? If Rachael had not run away, and had been taken, Kenoza lake is only a fifteen minute drive from Rowes Corner Market/ Maple Avenue. It can get busy during the summer, but there seems to be less to do in the off-season, such as March. There is a large conservation area that Winnekenni castle sits on, on the lake with a road going very far into it, almost leading to the lake itself. I thought of this area because it would be less traversed around March, and the seclusion of the conservation area on the lake could offer less of a chance to be caught. Furthermore, the road leads so far towards the lakes edge/tree line area, it would be a short walk to the lake itself with virtually no risk of anyone seeing you under the cover of night. I know police combed a couple of ponds back around 2008 that were in the immediate area. This lake is very secluded and leads directly off of route 108. It is also outside of the immediate town of Newton, so it might easily be overlooked. Thoughts?
Can’t rule it out. However, if she was driven to Haverhill to be disposed of in a body of water, I think it would be going in an opposite direction of leaving a low populated area(Newton/South Hampton,NH)with no Street lights, and taking the chance in disposing her in a high populated area-(Haverhill/Merrimac) varied lighting,more so in Haverhill.. Still Winter time then, pretty cold that time of year for “any kind” of nighttime fishing to begin with.

Stopped in the “Jones Store” at 8 Depot rd in E.Kingston today, last time I stopped in was about 10 years ago?.. It’s no longer owned by he old Storeowner who owned Rowes corner Market in Newton back when Rachael Disappeared , guess he sold around the time he was last interviewed about Rachael Garden by the news. The New Owner said the previous Storeowner Moved to Maine. …Just to touch on another Coincidence on this guy…found out at the time he owned Rowes Corner Market, in Newton, he lived in S.Hampton NH, and had to travel down Maple Ave to go home at night, -or to go open the store everyday.
(Same rd that Rachael Garden Allegedly was heading to @9:30PM on 3/22/1980. …I wonder what time of night Rowes Corner Market closed back then.?..) And another Hmmmmmmm?.-This Storeowner sold Rowes Corner Market, and Bought the Store in E.Kingston on 8Depot rd.in 1984, And sold his house in S.Hampton NH, and bought a house on Giles rd E.Kingston - in 1984, within just a couple of months and only 7minutes drive to Court street in Exeter NH.-( Where Tammy Belanger was last seen). -I know they assumed it to be another guy who abducted the Belanger girl,, but the evidence was shoddy at best and at times forced to fit. …Anyway...it’s just a Coincidence of another missing person within a short matter of time, and in short distance of this guy that caught my eye during some earlier research.
..Every person who has disappeared needs Someone, somebody to keep just one candle lit for the path even if it’s just a few feet of ground that’s been covered in the direction of where they may be. ..It’s a monumental task to think of the ground that needs to be covered, .. the guessing of direction of where to look now.. When they find you, and know that you can hear them, they stay in your ear. They pop into your head out of no where. -first thing in the morning,.. in the middle of being busy at a task.. ..yeah…crazy.
..Why me? -Absolutely No friggin idea… Believe me, I’ve got better things to do, but she’s been kind of a project to me on paper for years now. and Now coming up on another Thanksgiving I guess I’m feeling a little pissed off about the whole thing.
I’m throwing this stuff out in the public arena now, hoping somebody from That section of RT108 can pick up on Remembering ANYTHING about anything back in 1980.
-Seriously, It’s the Little things,(No matter how insignificant it/they may seem) that people disregard, that otherwise should really be paid attention to.

Last edited:
Stopped in the “Jones Store” at 8 Depot rd in E.Kingston today, last time I stopped in was about 10 years ago?.. It’s no longer owned by he old Storeowner who owned Rowes corner Market in Newton back when Rachael Disappeared , guess he sold around the time he was last interviewed about Rachael Garden by the news. The New Owner said the previous Storeowner Moved to Maine. …Just to touch on another Coincidence on this guy…found out at the time he owned Rowes Corner Market, in Newton, he lived in S.Hampton NH, and had to travel down Maple Ave to go home at night, -or to go open the store everyday.
(Same rd that Rachael Garden Allegedly was heading to @9:30PM on 3/22/1980. …I wonder what time of night Rowes Corner Market closed back then.?..) And another Hmmmmmmm?.-This Storeowner sold Rowes Corner Market, and Bought the Store in E.Kingston on 8Depot rd.in 1984, And sold his house in S.Hampton NH, and bought a house on Giles rd E.Kingston - in 1984, within just a couple of months and only 7minutes drive to Court street in Exeter NH.-( Where Tammy Belanger was last seen). -I know they assumed it to be another guy who abducted the Belanger girl,, but the evidence was shoddy at best and at times forced to fit. …Anyway...it’s just a Coincidence of another missing person within a short matter of time, and in short distance of this guy that caught my eye during some earlier research.
..Every person who has disappeared needs Someone, somebody to keep just one candle lit for the path even if it’s just a few feet of ground that’s been covered in the direction of where they may be. ..It’s a monumental task to think of the ground that needs to be covered, .. the guessing of direction of where to look now.. When they find you, and know that you can hear them, they stay in your ear. They pop into your head out of no where. -first thing in the morning,.. in the middle of being busy at a task.. ..yeah…crazy.
..Why me? -Absolutely No friggin idea… Believe me, I’ve got better things to do, but she’s been kind of a project to me on paper for years now. and Now coming up on another Thanksgiving I guess I’m feeling a little pissed off about the whole thing.
I’m throwing this stuff out in the public arena now, hoping somebody from That section of RT108 can pick up on Remembering ANYTHING about anything back in 1980.
-Seriously, It’s the Little things,(No matter how insignificant it/they may seem) that people disregard, that otherwise should really be paid attention to.

I agree with you... her case hasn't been solved over 40 years later.. she is still missing..I believe too it's the little things. Hopefully someone will listen to what you found. I would imagine new investigators would be on Rachel's case now.

Cases go Cold as they get Old. ..that’s really the Hard part about All of them, I’m sure many things begin to fall into place as time moves on, but the people move on, or Die off..and those that are still around tend to forget over time. Im amazed and Overjoyed at the fact that they found Judith Chartier with her car after 39years in the Concord river that runs through Billerica Mass,- Discoveries like that Hold the door open for Hope that Cold cases that are 40+ years old will find their way to the surface too. I’m hoping that Rachael’s ticket comes up next. -Somebody took a life here, and IF those responsible are still alive, I hope their conscience is getting the best of them and telling them to do the right thing Now over the wrong thing they did in taking the life of little girl, and the damage that it did to a family, and neighborhood community.

Cases go Cold as they get Old. ..that’s really the Hard part about All of them, I’m sure many things begin to fall into place as time moves on, but the people move on, or Die off..and those that are still around tend to forget over time. Im amazed and Overjoyed at the fact that they found Judith Chartier with her car after 39years in the Concord river that runs through Billerica Mass,- Discoveries like that Hold the door open for Hope that Cold cases that are 40+ years old will find their way to the surface too. I’m hoping that Rachael’s ticket comes up next. -Somebody took a life here, and IF those responsible are still alive, I hope their conscience is getting the best of them and telling them to do the right thing Now over the wrong thing they did in taking the life of little girl, and the damage that it did to a family, and neighborhood community.

I hope you get yo the bottom of this case. Your definitely her candle. We all have that one case that haunts us to keep it active... I'm glad Rachel has someone on hers.

I hope you get yo the bottom of this case. Your definitely her candle. We all have that one case that haunts us to keep it active... I'm glad Rachel has someone on hers.
I know there are so many out there who are missing, and they all deserve the same attention in being found, and of course I support all who are searching for them. However, searching for just one is nothing but frustration, let alone searching for two,..three,.. at the same time.
I’ve made Rachael my project. I’ve known the story since I was 16. I know others still remember her from that area of Newton,NH and hope they can reach out and add any memory of her, or of the store, or of other people in the area at that time. Any info that otherwise wasn’t submitted at the time of her disappearance because they didn’t feel it was important. Ive found quite a bit of info submitted afterward that seems to be pointing in a direction that wasn’t investigated at the time. So right now I’m hoping anyone who was friends with Rachael, or was around that store regularly in 1980 could reach out and touch base with this by adding something they remember but never said anything about. There are Still quite a few folks that are still standing up for her after all these years who still want her found and are willing to keep giving it another shot to try and figure this out. The worst thing in ALL of these cases is when they run Cold. They begin to die. -The evidence remains the same, people begin to move away or die off, or begin to forget.. And people let it go because life moves on. That’s why it’s so important to keep the circulation flowing with Cold Cases, if just for a single step forward in any direction will keep it still alive and moving. - Never stop moving forward.

Can’t rule it out. However, if she was driven to Haverhill to be disposed of in a body of water, I think it would be going in an opposite direction of leaving a low populated area(Newton/South Hampton,NH)with no Street lights, and taking the chance in disposing her in a high populated area-(Haverhill/Merrimac) varied lighting,more so in Haverhill.. Still Winter time then, pretty cold that time of year for “any kind” of nighttime fishing to begin with.
I was Thinking about this, this morning, and had to come back and change my response to it,-And Yes, Absolutely,-I support that this should Not be ruled out, -only because if it was someone from that Haverhill/Merrimac, (Massachusetts area) then they would have a greater knowledge and confidence in those surroundings and would know the level of activity within those cities that had wooded areas and bodies of water in order to dispose of something/someone, than they would,..say in the surrounding Newton,NH area and therefor would trust disposing someone in a town they would be familiar with more so than someplace they weren’t.

Wondering about what was said between Rachael and the Storeowner that night..He said he knew her pretty good, and knew her family as well. If he knew her well, and “she was the kind of person who would show her teeth when she smiled at you” as he stated, they both must have engaged in at least a few sentences between each other while she was in there. 9:30PM, not a busy night at that hour in Newton NH in the winter…?nothing was said about any small talk spoken between each other when she went in to purchase a pack of cigarettes and some gum, paid with a Five dollar bill, got her change..nothing was said? ..exactly how long was she in the store for? ..Did He ask what the Bag that had “Things”printed on it was for? ..could she have told/Bragged to the Storeowner that she was running Away? ..She told her folks that she was sleeping over a girlfriends house,and could have had another story once she left the house. If the Storeowner knew she said to him she was running away, and then disappeared the next day after being the only person who spoke with her, he’d be in some trouble after the fact for knowing that, and not contacting a parent of police, irregardless of it being 1980. ….Hence Nothing was spoken between them…?he never said anything was spoken..I don’t really believe that being that they knew one another so well.

Spoke to an older couple from Newton who also said the store smelled really, really bad just before the renovation, and they didn’t remember it being like that years ago. somethings like that you wouldn’t forget…smells do that.

I’m a firm Believer of “What Comes around, -Goes Around”. Sometimes “Instant Kharma” isn’t always instant. but “Bad Kharma “ causes a lifetime of grief, and a worried haggard look on ones face. I hope whoever did this, can come to their senses while their still here, and at the very least say where she is.

-Still lookin Kiddo

It was the night of March 22, 1980 in Newton, New Hampshire.

Rachael Garden walked into Rowe's Corner Market with her recognizable, easy smile. The shop's owner at the time, Peter Jewett, told The Seacoast Online in 2007 that he remembered Rachael was the type of girl to always say hello and flash her teeth. That night she bought a pack of cigarettes before reportedly heading to a friend's home nearby.

Jewett told the paper he remembered watching her head out.

"I turned and leaned against the counter like I always did to look at the road, and I saw Rachael walking towards Maple Avenue," he told the paper.

Disappearance New Hampshire Woman Remains Unsolved 37 Years Later
Storeowner Peter M Jewett was convicted of Murder in killing a 20yr old John Balch of Lyme NH in 1970 when Peter Jewett Owned a store in Lyme NH. The town of Lyme NH dedicated a playing field to victim John Balch. Store owner Peter M Jewett’s lawyers last name was “Garden-er”. And had failed Jewett in proving he was innocent. Jewett killed an innocent Unarmed store patron before. - I think folks need to come down to a common sense reality about Prison. -A Judge and Jury sentences You to sit in a cell and expects you to sit in silence and ask Jesus for redemption to your crime, -That’s Santa and the Easter Bunny. People in Prison are in Prison for Heinous crimes against a “Civilized Society” that we live in. Prison is where you go to think about your Mistake that has caused you your loss of family, of freedom, made you a Felon, and virtually destroyed your social venue for life. The smartest thing you could do is open a store in a tiny Hamlet of a Small NH town and try really hard to act Normal…until the bug scratches and what you learned in Prison on how not to get caught the Next time you have an itch to kill.
That’s What Prison Produces to our Society. That’s WHO ALSO runs there own small town Stores because it’s perfect in staying under the Radar.

Last edited:
If I was a store Owner who killed a 20 year old Local store patron before, and was convicted of Murder and in addition did a time for it, on getting out, …If I DID IT AGAIN 10 years later to a 15yr old Local girl store patron, -Would I make the SAME Mistake twice??
..Would I learn to be a Better Liar……/ Actor? If I was to go back to Prison Again….
You bet the Buick in the driveway I would.
-Wouldn’t You??
Think about it, -it’s YOUR Child that you bore, and raised, fed and hoped for a better future, and possible grandchildren..
Some people are “Wishing this to go away” Over the people who want it figured out.
When that is Equalled, then it’s lenient that it won’t be solved. You cannot support a Town, or it’s police force to act if it Ever happens again. How Many Souls has Newton NH lost through them Being Abducted?? Why couldn’t the State of N.H. Conduct a thorough search of Rowes Corner /Maple Ave/ Rowes corner Market at the time of this??…For Christ’s Sake, We Now have incredible technology with radar, and DNA….even “the Andy Griffith show” states the use of an “Amber Alert” back in 1962 and that was allegedly in in S.Carolina 1962… ??WTF?? New England??? What IS the friggin problem here???

…Still Looking Rache, …

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back