AR AR - Malvern, WhtMale 1415UMAR, 25-35, hitchhiker in submerged car, p/u Louisville, Oct'84

The person that picked him up is only refered as 'male subject'.

1415UMAR
The victim was hitchhiking and picked up in Louisville, Kentucky by a male subject enroute to Houston, Texas. They stopped for breakfast near Benton, Arkansas. Once on the road again, the male subject became tired and let the victim drive. The male subject reports that he awoke and the cab of the vehicle was filling up with water. The male subject got out but the victim did not. The victim was under water for about 15 to 30 minutes before he was extracted from the vehicle and taken to the hospital where he died two days later.

The victim was possibly from New Haven, Connecticut, and traveling to California at the time

What I wondered was if this person had gotten a first name of this UID. If he was picked up in Louisville, Kentucky they likely spent a little over 8 hours with him (according to google maps). They even stopped at a diner together. I wonder about what conversations the two might have had. The last part of his case file (above) stating he is believed to have been from New Haven, Connecticut could have been from that.

The person that picked him up is only refered as 'male subject'.

1415UMAR

What I wondered was if this person had gotten a first name of this UID. If he was picked up in Louisville, Kentucky they likely spent a little over 8 hours with him (according to google maps). They even stopped at a diner together. I wonder about what conversations the two might have had. The last part of his case file (above) stating he is believed to have been from New Haven, Connecticut could have been from that.

I do find it kind of odd to just pick up some random stranger from the street then let them take control of Your vehicle without even knowing their name?! Oh wait while you sleep next to him:eek:...

Whoa. That is quite a similarity.
Are you the one that made the Profile for this John Doe on Google doc? Good info, have you done others?

Visually do you think this guy makes a good case to compare?

Attachments

• Untitleddfdf.jpg
    Untitleddfdf.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 48
I think of this case quite often, especially since I live so close. Went through a couple reported missings in '84, but haven't found too much. Does anyone know the location of where the car was submerged? I'm down to go check things out.

I think of this case quite often, especially since I live so close. Went through a couple reported missings in '84, but haven't found too much. Does anyone know the location of where the car was submerged? I'm down to go check things out.
Would be to cool to actually go there. Get some photos? I wasnt able to get the exact location. Only place I could see on the main road was the creek that goes across. But the other map looks like it points to in the trees some was away from the main road. :/

Hey I am surprised Steven P Delgado's name hasn't being mentioned here.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Check out his other picture, the one with no uniform - he looks identical minus the beard. All the body characteristics seem on point.

Maybe John Doe wasn't hitchhiking to California, maybe he was hitchhiking BACK to California - where Delgado is from.

Are you the one that made the Profile for this John Doe on Google doc? Good info, have you done others?

Visually do you think this guy makes a good case to compare?

No, that wasn't me. I mostly doo bookkeeping-type stuff around here, keeping exclusions lists up to date and that sort of thing.

Visually, yes. I haven't looked at the circumstances and so forth to see if it's a good match.

Hello again. Bumping in here because I was doing some sleuthing on NamUs and I found some potential matches for this UID, I apologize if these have been ruled out:

Robert Hugh Sanfelice, Missing from New York:

NamUs:

Charley Project: Robert Hugh Sanfelice – The Charley Project

Robert is one inch off our UID, but this could always be an approximation. Robert was 5'7, UID was 5'8.

Robert was 160 pounds at the time, UID was 167 pounds. Might be off because you really can't gain 7 pounds on only a 2 month lapse (I might be wrong)

Robert was 33 years old at the time of the dissappearence, UID was between 25 to 35 years old.

New York is near Connecticut and if it is Robert he could have easily gone to Connecticut.

The thing that might be off is that you can't grow the type of beard the UID had that easily (can you?) and UID had curlier hair than Robert.

24034_131102.jpg NamUs_3123_Reconstruction_001.jpg

Darrel Roy Frye, Missing from Washington:

NamUs:

Charley Project: Darrel Roy Frye – The Charley Project

With Darrel I see a STRIKING resembelance, I was almost like "that's him".

He seems to have curlier hair like our UID.

He is 5'6, making him 2 inches off our UID, but some measurements can be wrong at times.

Darrel was 140 pounds when he disappeared and our UID was 167 pounds, he needed to have gained 27 pounds then, although that might be unlikely.

He has the same face shape and the same face as our UID in my opinion, like you could tell me that was him and I would believe it.

Darrel was 21 on 1980, he would have been 24 on 1984 though.

My claims are mostly only based on appearence on this case.

54769_269392.jpg NamUs_3123_Reconstruction_001.jpg

Fransisco Do Nascimiento Pimentel, Missing from Rhode Island:

NamUs:

Fransisco was 18 years old at the time of his disappearence, which would have amde him 26 on 1984. Our UID's age range is from 25-35.

Off thing is weight, because he weighed around 128 pound to 135 pounds, but I mean you are still on a growing phase when you are at 18, so you can gain some weight.

Connecticut is near Rhode Island and he could have easily stayed in the eastern area of the country if that were to be the case.

I do see that UID's face is "larger" though.

78513_381201.png NamUs_3123_Reconstruction_001.jpg

I really hope I am not that far off on these.

7 Exclusions

MP8386 Gary Mullinax 05/09/1976 Pulaski AR
MP7879 Lloyd Gilsdorf 07/29/1984 Escambia FL
MP3283 Keith Lalima 05/07/1981 New London CT
MP3399 Kenneth LaManna 05/16/1980 New Haven CT
MP4912 Randolph Sedlack 11/24/1983 Montgomery VA
MP2421 Mark Clarke 12/01/1983 Jackson NC
MP2035 Thomas Scott 08/23/1984 Tarrant TX

Hello again. Bumping in here because I was doing some sleuthing on NamUs and I found some potential matches for this UID, I apologize if these have been ruled out:

Robert Hugh Sanfelice, Missing from New York:

NamUs:

Charley Project: Robert Hugh Sanfelice – The Charley Project

Robert is one inch off our UID, but this could always be an approximation. Robert was 5'7, UID was 5'8.

Robert was 160 pounds at the time, UID was 167 pounds. Might be off because you really can't gain 7 pounds on only a 2 month lapse (I might be wrong)

Robert was 33 years old at the time of the dissappearence, UID was between 25 to 35 years old.

New York is near Connecticut and if it is Robert he could have easily gone to Connecticut.

The thing that might be off is that you can't grow the type of beard the UID had that easily (can you?) and UID had curlier hair than Robert.

View attachment 317237 View attachment 317238

Darrel Roy Frye, Missing from Washington:

NamUs:

Charley Project: Darrel Roy Frye – The Charley Project

With Darrel I see a STRIKING resembelance, I was almost like "that's him".

He seems to have curlier hair like our UID.

He is 5'6, making him 2 inches off our UID, but some measurements can be wrong at times.

Darrel was 140 pounds when he disappeared and our UID was 167 pounds, he needed to have gained 27 pounds then, although that might be unlikely.

He has the same face shape and the same face as our UID in my opinion, like you could tell me that was him and I would believe it.

Darrel was 21 on 1980, he would have been 24 on 1984 though.

My claims are mostly only based on appearence on this case.

View attachment 317244 View attachment 317245

Fransisco Do Nascimiento Pimentel, Missing from Rhode Island:

NamUs:

Fransisco was 18 years old at the time of his disappearence, which would have amde him 26 on 1984. Our UID's age range is from 25-35.

Off thing is weight, because he weighed around 128 pound to 135 pounds, but I mean you are still on a growing phase when you are at 18, so you can gain some weight.

Connecticut is near Rhode Island and he could have easily stayed in the eastern area of the country if that were to be the case.

I do see that UID's face is "larger" though.

View attachment 317253 View attachment 317254

I really hope I am not that far off on these.

Darrel Frye seems like a close potential match to me. I believe it is very possible to gain 27 pounds in 3 to 4 years, I gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks during lockdown and many years ago I lost 28 in 3 days due to a violent stomach bug.

Darrel Frye seems like a close potential match to me. I believe it is very possible to gain 27 pounds in 3 to 4 years, I gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks during lockdown and many years ago I lost 28 in 3 days due to a violent stomach bug.

You are very right, and yes it certainly seems possible. Do you think it should be submitted?

I tried to write them an email but I was unsuccessful at it, it might be because I was using gmail instead of using something else. If anyone could submit Darrel Roy Frye, it would be very appreciated, thank you very much.

I don't have anything to offer as far as possible matches, but I am intimately familiar with central Arkansas. Something bothered me and would bother anyone who knew the area. In 1984, there was really only one place to get breakfast in Benton, Brown's Country Store. It was (COVID killed Brown's) right on I-30 south bound, very clearly marked for miles ahead. So if they stopped for breakfast "near" Benton it would have been Brown's. I think there were two Waffle Houses in Benton but only one was easily accessible from I-30. It's not that much further than the Brown's. I've gone through all of this to say that Malvern is only about 30 minutes down the highway from Benton.

How did he get too tired to drive in 15 minutes? There were only about five exits between where they would have gotten back on I-30 and Malvern. I'm not 100% that one of them was there in 1984.

I made a map. Google Maps

The northern most dot is Brown's. The second dot is the location of the Waffle House I mentioned, the whole complex burned a few years back but it was a motel and a Chinese place in an old Waffle House for decades.

The third dot is the last Benton exit and the first easy place to hop off the freeway and switch drivers.
The fourth dot is a truck stop, the exit was there but the truck stop was not. There wouldn't have been any markings indicating it was a place to pull in and switch drivers.

The end point is the Quachita River bridge. During the spring a couple of those creeks can get high, but not in the fall so the Quachita is the only one deep enough to partially submerge a car (I lived in Hot Springs for 11 years).
upload_2021-11-26_20-28-56.png

Am I the only one that has a whole lot of questions about how the UID guy ended up in the drivers seat and the other guy fell that deeply asleep in such a short amount of time?

Last edited:
Just ran across this case and I'm struck by the similarities to the recently solved Bibb Co. AL John Doe (Danny Armantrout), a hitchhiker who also perished in an accident in water. Notably that was the oldest case solved so far through genetic genealogy.

Some posts much earlier in this thread suggested no DNA was available, however the Doe Network entry suggests it is. Does anyone know which is correct? If there were DNA, or a sample existed that it could be obtained from, it could be a good prospect for Othram or others to look into.

There seems to be so much missing info here. @sk716 made a good suggestion about the breakfast location. But after 30+ years we don't even know who the other person in the vehicle was.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rons211212
Back