AR AR - Malvern, WhtMale 1415UMAR, 25-35, hitchhiker in submerged car, p/u Louisville, Oct'84

I wondered about suicide too, since I haven't seen a mention of him being injured/unconscious or any other reason he wouldn't or couldn't get out. There was obviously quite a bit of time, since the other man got out.

It's all a bit frustrating when we're probably relying on details told to the other man, when they could have been completely made up.

On the "no name" aspect I don't suppose it's that weird, I've spent time in the company of others chatting about things and unless one of you specifically makes the effort to do introductions, hours can pass without knowing their name. Especially if you're not intending to see someone again, or swap numbers etc. I can see someone who is hitchhiking thinking there is no real point in exchanging names with all the drivers he may encounter on a trip. [Particularly if he was intending to commit suicide?]

So you guys think he deliberately caused the accident? Wouldn't the survivor have said that?

I can't say anything for sure, but it just seems suspicious that he didn't leave the car when it was submerged.

I can't say anything for sure, but it just seems suspicious that he didn't leave the car when it was submerged.

I just can't picture anybody thinking, "Oh wait, we just went in the water and I'm feeling depressed so I think I'll take this opportunity to drown myself."

More likely he was stunned, or the door was jammed, or he panicked, or something along those lines. Maybe the car was sideways and the passenger door was on the bottom.

I was in a boating accident as a teen, two friends and I. I am a really strong swimmer, one friend also was, one wasn't. Yet the one that nearly drowned was the other strong swimmer. She just panicked, lost all sense of what to do from the shock of the accident/water/cold. She was like a stone and not very much help in our efforts to get her afloat and out.

I think adding a car into the equation its easy to imagine many situations that could lead to one person walking away from the accident and another not. Maybe this just seems weirder and less likely an accident to some because it includes a hitchhicker and they didn't even know their name? Never hitchhiked myself but I know people that do across europe and normally use nicknames.

Another possibility is that the UID could have hit his head or was injured in some other way, which could have prevented him from escaping the submerged car.

Yes, that is true. I simply wondered because there was a lack of detail concerning him not getting out of the car, like no mention of a head injury or anything. Of course he may have just been shocked. The suicide thing was only speculation and may not be true at all :)

Yes, that is true. I simply wondered because there was a lack of detail concerning him not getting out of the car, like no mention of a head injury or anything. Of course he may have just been shocked. The suicide thing was only speculation and may not be true at all :)

My thoughts exactly.

Yep, just vague speculation on my part too. I think being shocked/panicked is probably a more likely scenario. This sort of accident terrifies me because I'm always convinced I'd freeze and not have a clue what to do, wasting valuable time for escape in the process.

In all likelihood, he probably told the guy who picked him up hitchhiking (and whose car he drove into the water), that he was from New Haven and was heading for California.

I've looked at this thread a few times in the past, so I was at least somewhat familiar with this UID when I read over it again today. I don't know how this just came to me...

Are we sure he meant Connecticut?

He was picked up in Louisville, KY...

I live a couple of counties south (approx 30-miles) of Louisville in Nelson County. New Haven is a town on the southern end of Nelson County. So Louisville would be the closest "city" to my town and to New Haven (Ky).

Elizabethtown has grown by leaps and bounds over the past couple decades, and is closer to New Haven, but it's nowhere near as big as Louisville doesn't have a major east/west interstate highway.
Louisville has several Interstates to choose from (I-64, I-65, I-71) so you can get just about anywhere by hitching one.

I also don't think there are any males missing from around the area around that time.
But the New Haven reference got me thinking...

Wow, yeah, if the guy said New Haven, I would simply assume Connecticut because that's so well known. I had no clue there was one in Kentucky.

Are there any missing men from Kentucky who fit the profile?

Wow, yeah, if the guy said New Haven, I would simply assume Connecticut because that's so well known. I had no clue there was one in Kentucky.

Are there any missing men from Kentucky who fit the profile?

That's my main problem with the possible New Haven (KY) possibility. I can't find any.

And if Connecticut was actually mentioned in the conversation, that would basically screw this "local" possibility. Since we can't go back in time and be there when he mentioned New Haven, we'll likely never know.

Like I said, I've searched all options I have at hand now (DoeNet, Charley, Google, etc) and haven't found a male missing from around that place/time. It could also be possible that this is an adult missing with no "missing persons" report filed (i.e. grown child that loses contact with family, etc).

BTW... It's a couple of days before X-mas and we're having one HELL of a thunderstorm at the moment.
Is this what all of that "climate change" stuff we always hear about really means?

Ok, so, I've been combing doe for possible matches. They might not be dead- on, but a couple seemed good :

1032DMNY - Mark David Zeichner
- Mark Zeichner. He's in the age range, he somewhat resembles the doe, and their hair seems similar. The height is a bit off, though. Also, he has a mental illness and this doe seems like he could have one.

2063DMNJ - Edward Lawrence DuBarry
Edward DuBarry has facial hair very much like the doe in one of the photos, which struck me. He's a bit too old, though. The 'scar on chin' interests me though.

4312DMFL - Lloyd Raymond Gilsdorf
Lloyd Gilsdorf also has brown hair and facial hair. He is a bit short though.

Lloyd Gilsdorf is now on rule out list

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy looks like a "Craig". Not helpful information but just my number 1 thought--"That guy looks like a Craig!" LOL. I feel like he's on the younger end of the range.

Bumping because he's the case featured this month on Grateful Doe :rose::rose:

Any of these look like they fit?

John Doe Found: 10/18/1984 Age: 23 to 33 Height: 66 to 70"
Missing person--last seen on--Age in 1984--Height--Missing from
Thomas Scott--8/23/84--27--67 to 70"--Texas The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Andy Lepley--5/30/1976--26--69"--Colorado The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Amadeo Vigil--7/11/80--28--66 to 67"--Colorado The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Donald Ewalt--10/4/79--27--69--California The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Gustavo Cabrera--10/6/77--34--70"--California The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Joseph Giamanco--9/20/82--34--70"--Alaska The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I just spotted this article, which features CarlK90245's reconstruction of the victim:

December 12, 2016 04:31PM
By Terry Sutton

The man had been hitchhiking in Louisville, Kentucky, when he was given a ride. The unknown hitchhiker told the driver that he was on his way to Houston, Texas and eventually to California.

But tragedy soon struck the duo. The car went off the road and plunged into a body of water.

Kermit Channel, executive director of the Arkansas State Crime Lab, believes that with modern technology, and the Internet, this case can finally be solved.

“There is lot we can do today that we couldn’t do 20 years ago,” Channel said. “Hopefully someone will see his picture and realize that this may be someone, like a relative or friend, that they haven’t seen in years.”

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/news...the-anguish-of-searching-for-a-loved-one.html

Could he have been a student at Yale (and thereby have a different hometown)? I had a few friends who graduated from Yale but when the subject of where they went to college came up, they never said Yale, always New Haven. Possibly to avoid snarky comments? IDK. Just a thought.

I came across the UID today and found a possible match. Same height, hair and eye colour. The UID was hitchhiking back to California, where Damato was from.

I would like to know what you all think and if I should submit it.

**WARNING! Post Mortem Photo**

Frank Joseph Damato

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member