IN - Emma Sweet, 2, (died), Dad and truck found, Bartholomew Co, 24 Nov 2021 *arrest*

Looking at how shallow that truck was in the water, I don't see why he couldn't have gotten them both out unless he was quite impaired. I picture him being incapacitated by whatever was in the needle they found, and, the baby squirming until she wiggled out of her car seat harness and floated away, with Dad none the wiser.
With a 15 foot drop into the water, I could see how he might have hit his head and been knocked unconscious and not able to get her out. Or maybe he did try to get her out and she was swept away while he was still stuck inside? Hypothermia mixed with possible drug use isn't a good combination for anyone's mental state.

260732473_10209206911367807_9038904580303842225_n.jpg

Such a beautiful child
Recent photo being shared from the public facebook missing page - Emma Sweet- Missing in Indiana

He took her out of the truck, placed her on the hood and fell asleep? When he woke up she was gone.

If you think of it like Naya Rivera, she used every last bit of strength she had to get her son safely back into the boat. I'm willing to give this dad the benefit of the doubt for a minute or two. Maybe he did get her to the roof of the truck and passed out from exhaustion.

The needle tells a different story and I doubt it was full of insulin, but there ya go.

found her coat down stream , Father is saying Emma was with him when he went into the water. Mom and Uncle at the scene.

Could be that the coat floated out of the truck when the doors were opened (or if it was in the bed of the truck).

Could be hopeful thinking on my part, I guess. I was really hoping dad dropped her off somewhere first :(

Could be that the coat floated out of the truck when the doors were opened (or if it was in the bed of the truck).

Could be hopeful thinking on my part, I guess. I was really hoping dad dropped her off somewhere first :(
I'm hopeful with you. However JS initially said he sat Emma on the hood and removed her coat because it was wet. Since it was found downstream, that's likely factual.
From the tone of the pressor today - this is a recovery mission :(
I appreciate the Sheriff's forthrightness in answering the questions posed today.

Last edited:
If you think of it like Naya Rivera, she used every last bit of strength she had to get her son safely back into the boat. I'm willing to give this dad the benefit of the doubt for a minute or two. Maybe he did get her to the roof of the truck and passed out from exhaustion.

The needle tells a different story and I doubt it was full of insulin, but there ya go.

But why would he be exhausted? It doesn't look like the water would have been more than chest high to him. It's not even turbulent water, from what I see. He should have been able to grab the baby and walk to shore. I wonder what happened?

edit: Looking at the picture again it does look like there are currents in the water. Still, would think he could walk out being that shallow and close to shore.

I'm confused. According to the presser, the dad took Emma out of her car seat and placed her on the hood of the truck then he got back into the truck and fell asleep.

IMO his thinking was scrambled either due to the accident and hypothermia or due to him being high. Otherwise what parent would put their child on the hood of a vehicle then get back inside alone and go to sleep?

IMO there's much more to be revealed.

@MsMarple - the initial news reports were ...

Sweet, who is now in the Columbus Regional Hospital intensive care unit, first told investigators that he had dropped off Emma at “Casey’s” although investigators do not know if that means the convenience stores, or if it is the name of a friend. Indiana State Police are pursuing leads about anyone named “Casey” that could be associated with the Sweet family, pursuing possibilities in Jeffersonville and Jackson County, said Sheriff Matt Myers.

The second story Sweet has told investigators was that he had placed Emma on the hood of the truck because she was wet, and he took her coat off, and then she was swept away in the current of the river, Myers said.

Deputies now searching for missing 2-year-old in relation to truck found in river - The Republic News

@MsMarple - the initial news reports were ...

Sweet, who is now in the Columbus Regional Hospital intensive care unit, first told investigators that he had dropped off Emma at “Casey’s” although investigators do not know if that means the convenience stores, or if it is the name of a friend. Indiana State Police are pursuing leads about anyone named “Casey” that could be associated with the Sweet family, pursuing possibilities in Jeffersonville and Jackson County, said Sheriff Matt Myers.

The second story Sweet has told investigators was that he had placed Emma on the hood of the truck because she was wet, and he took her coat off, and then she was swept away in the current of the river, Myers said.

Deputies now searching for missing 2-year-old in relation to truck found in river - The Republic News
In the presser the LEO talked about there being three stories right now so yes, the story where dad put Emma on the hood of the truck, removed her coat and she was swept away could be the true one.

But then why did the duck hunters find the dad in the truck? Did he get back inside after Emma was swept away? Wouldn't he have been swept away too?

IMO LE is suspicious as am I. Hopefully more information will come out soon so I'm willing to wait a bit until that happens.

SEARCHING FOR EMMA: Girl's jacket recovered near Southern Crossing - The Republic News

Last edited:
In the presser the LEO talked about there being three stories right now so yes, the story where dad put Emma on the hood of the truck, removed her coat and she was swept away could be the true one.

But then why did the duck hunters find the dad in the truck? Did he get back inside after Emma was swept away? Wouldn't he have been swept away too?

IMO LE is suspicious as am I. Hopefully more information will come out soon so I'm willing to wait a bit until that happens.
Nothing about any of the stories he told make sense, so those questions remain unanswered. The Sheriff alludes to the answer by mentioning a syringe found on his person, JMO. In the pressor he also states the family admits JS has addiction issues. Which begs the question I have been wanting to ask for two days now - why was he allowed to take Emma in the first place? I would also like to know if he was living in the home or apart from the family the day he had her.

From the link I posted upthread:
Three local men, John Grider, Brandon McFarlane and Joshua Gale, all of Columbus, said they went out to help search the riverbanks on Saturday, starting out at the nearby rock quarry and traveling toward Southern Crossing, where they saw the coat in the river, caught on a tree branch.
The jacket was about a mile downstream from where Sweet’s Ford F-150 was found submerged in about 3- to 4-feet of water at 6 a.m. Friday. Emma’s unstrapped car seat was found in the truck.
“We can’t say that this is 100%, but it is looking more like she was in the water with him,” Myers said.

When Sweet was asked where he last saw Emma, he told detectives he had fallen asleep and when he woke up, she was gone.
SEARCHING FOR EMMA: Girl's jacket recovered near Southern Crossing - The Republic News

Apparently the truck was "partially submerged in 3 to 5 feet of water." The article only said the needle found on the dad was for "injecting drugs" but didn't clarify whether it was for legal drugs or illegal drugs.

What a precious little one and she looks sassy. How very devastating. Has it been reported what he was doing in that area? He may live there; I’m just curious. This is very bizarre. While the situation is tragic regardless of what led to his behavior, I am praying that it was a medical reason, if that makes any sense? I guess I’m thinking about the guilt he will carry if it was drug induced and how much more that will put on the family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back