Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #5 *charges*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I have known Russell for more than 30 years through Amateur radio and about 15 years of camping together with other Amateur radio operators where Russell came along with us .

Thank you Moto, it was suggested upthread about two alpha males..

Was Russell the alpha male type to escalate and argument or was he the quiet type who’d happily back down from an altercation.

Last edited:
100% agree. Notwithstanding the previous wife who died suddenly, I wouldn't be surprised if we find other missing / murdered people within a remarkable radius of where GL has been known to travel and camp

There are 2 missing people from that same area. Who knows if its related. I am sure police will be looking at all avenues

Thought this was interesting. Red long handle spade on the patrol when it’s blue, and a black long handle spade when it’s beige. That’s what I said earlier I thought he would carry. Makes those cheap white Bunnings snow shovels all the more likely to be a furphy.
View attachment 324261
Nice pick up with the red shovel Brumby Jack. I think the prosecution could be looking for this as exhibit “A”.

[
Yes BrumbyJack he was in camp when we spoke with him. We did not know that Carol was with him but suspected she was. Carol was never at any of the camps I shared with Russell in the past.
Russell intended to camp at various spots over the next few days while slowly heading back to civilization. Some of the places we spoke of were Talbotville and Olies jump up (on the Dargo river north of Dargo) as places he might camp at. So this still fits with what Carol said about being back home on the 28th or 29th.
You knowledge/information is absolute GOLD.

Assistant Commissioner Hill said police believed the trailer had been sold on Gumtree and would work with the organisation to track its whereabouts.

Surely if it was sold on Gumtree, it would be very simple to see who he was chatting to regarding the sale, this seems weird to me?

Last edited:
Thank you Moto, it was suggested upthread about two alpha males..

Was Russell the alpha male type to escalate and argument or was he the quiet type who’d happily back down from an altercation.
Russell would more than likely back away from an altercation. He wouldnt be happy about it but he was smart enough to know not to "poke the bear" as such in a remote area like that. He didnt suffer fools but he was not an aggressive man.

Is there such a thing as a hunting community?

Do hunters tend to know other hunters or is it more of a solo thing?

Do hunters stick to the one area like the high country or go to different areas?

Do hunters catch up for beers and to talk of their kills?

Is it common to see the same hunters year in year out?

Is there are certain code of conduct or etiquette amongst hunters?

Would it be likely that GL was known amongst other hunters?
There is a hunting community. The area is a well known spot for samba deer. Plenty of experienced hunters take people out there to hunt as well. Experienced high country muster who assisted the police with the initial search for Russell and Carol said you would come across deer remains every 200-300 metres.

One question. Why would a bloke traveling alone need to tow a trailer?. Wouldn't a trailer be a hindrance and or unnecessary when a big 4wd has lots of room when only one person is inside it!.
It has been stated that the trailer was Russell's* and was listed on the missing inventory list. It's been assumed it was taken to transport the bodies, and those bodies being inside the sleeping bags.

(*Unless Motomike has confirmed it was not Russell's)

There is a hunting community. The area is a well known spot for samba deer. Plenty of experienced hunters take people out there to hunt as well. Experienced high country muster who assisted the police with the initial search for Russell and Carol said you would come across deer remains every 200-300 metres.

It has been stated that the trailer was Russell's* and was listed on the missing inventory list. It's been assumed it was taken to transport the bodies, and those bodies being inside the sleeping bags.

That is news to me and I don't know why we have not thought of it before. That sounds right.

No it was not Russell's trailer. I dont know where that info came from that it was Russell's.

If GL was intending to do some deer hunting and bring back a carcass or 2 for butchering or taxidermy etc. then I would think a trailer would be appropriate. I wouldn't be putting deer caresses in the back of my car for the trip home.

Source was Victorian Police. Make of that what you will. ;)
do you have a link?
Russell has never taken a trailer camping with any of the camps we have been on together even the easy places likes Olies Jump up so it seems quite out of the ordinary for him to take a trailer into a place like Wonnangatta where it would be quite difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname