Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking about this. I doubt he covered the victim and then washed the sheets. My guess is something like this. He used the sheets from that bed to cover SM, scrambled got a pair from the linen closet threw them in the dryer and gave the story about why the bed was stripped. Every time BM concocts a story I am thinking about the reason behind it.

My big learning from an epic poster on the Pistorius case was that there might not be much value in trying to deconstruct the staging, because frequently the stager makes mistakes, and may create illogical staging - e.g. where they change plans.

Rather the artefacts of staging themselves point back to the hand of the killer - which is why you are always better to do no staging.

Staging absolutely fascinates me. I think the dart cap shows the sheets were important for some reason.

Real life shouldn't have narrative creation and foreshadowing - classic noobie show runner!

I've got questions about the to-do list. It's discussed with the Salida Stove and Spa segment of the PH. I can't find it independently confirmed but the defense still has a lot of time to introduce exculpatory evidence. Barry staged so many other things, why not a to-do list? And how did Barry's shorts end up in the dryer with those sheets? There are a lot of gaps and a lot of things that don't make any sense.

Totally agree that the brown towel is with Suzanne.

[URL='https://mobile.twitter.com/LaurenScharfTV']Lauren Scharf@LaurenScharfTV
[/URL]

Agent Graham is being asked about Mallory Morphew sheets in the dryer. #SuzanneMorphew had a to-do list on the kitchen counter and one of the items said Mal sheets. Judge just reminded Eytan to keep the cross short cause the state only had 15 min with Graham.

9:14 AM · Aug 23, 2021

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

The sheets were taken from the dryer from May 11-15. It wasn't until May 19 when an investigator found the syringe for a dart. The state is redirecting now.

9:17 AM · Aug 23, 2021

SM's to-do list from the kitchen countertop in her handwriting would be easy enough to verify.

The sheets and BM's short pants could have been located in the clothes dryer together yet not necessarily washed together and/or even washed on different days.

MOO

If you look at it on the timeline. He was on the wall in Broomfield wondering why in the heck MM1 & MM2 hadn't already called in a panic. He was tired off waiting around, so he prompted her to call Suzanne and discover that she was missing.

11:57 am to 12:25 pm, Barry’s phone was near the Via Varra work site for the wall, he removed blocks from wall.

12:06 pm BM calls MM1

12:36 – Barry’s truck arrived at the hotel parking lot. He exited the truck carrying one white trash bag (larger in size than the previous bags in one hand); in the other hand he carried a black container, along with a green/teal item, possibly a piece of clothing.

12:38 – Barry placed the bags, black container, and clothing from his truck beside the curb near the hotel lobby. He then walked to his truck, appeared to pick up a small item from inside, picked up the trash bag, coat and container and walked towards the dumpsters at the end of the lot.

12:41 – Barry walked back across the lot towards the hotel lobby with nothing in his hands.

12:42-6:03 pm BM in room at HIE
I think BM was up all night. I would be interested to know if either his cell phone recorded a wake up alarm during the HIE stay or whether a wake up call at the front desk was requested....My guess, the former. I don't think BM took the chance of oversleeping. Now...he likely was dosing in and out because of expected incoming calls...but I still think he needed an alarm just in case. If he is there working...how could he explain an alarm on his phone? jmo.

Lauren Scharf@LaurenScharfTV

Agent Graham is being asked about Mallory Morphew sheets in the dryer. #SuzanneMorphew had a to-do list on the kitchen counter and one of the items said Mal sheets. Judge just reminded Eytan to keep the cross short cause the state only had 15 min with Graham.

9:14 AM · Aug 23, 2021

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

The sheets were taken from the dryer from May 11-15. It wasn't until May 19 when an investigator found the syringe for a dart. The state is redirecting now.

9:17 AM · Aug 23, 2021

SM's to-do list from the kitchen countertop in her handwriting would be easy enough to verify.

The sheets and BM's short pants could have been located in the clothes dryer together yet not necessarily washed together and/or even washed on different days.

MOO
The sheets to me based on the to-do list are not meaningful, even the needle sheath to me could have been in the lint trap or wherever the LE person found it and had been in a pants pocket sometime in the past. The outliers are more interesting...the single plate in the dishwasher ostensibly from the "steak dinner" and the half full coffee cup on the counter. The plate made it into the dishwasher but not the coffee cup...I find that fascinating and those are facts. Those are the things that don't fit or don't really have alternative possibilities for time occurrence. The fire in the fireplace, the vertical split in the door jam...those things could have happened anytime in the past and can be explained away, but dishes in a dishwasher or on the counter generally aren't there for long periods of time.

I wonder if the coffee maker is an 8 or 12 cup coffee maker or a 1 cup Keurig? The Keurigs are more flexible as they can make 1 cup on demand pretty much anytime. But the coffee maker is typically for multiple cups regularly, and therefore more likely to be used in the morning. Some people, like myself, only drink coffee in the morning, due to caffeine. We don't know SM's coffee habits...but someone does. It would suggest when that coffee was likely consumed, and by whom. I think BM wanted that cup to be interpreted as a Sunday morning cup of coffee...and preserved it for that purpose; when in reality, it was a Saturday am cup of coffee....likely unwashed by Suzanne because it was the only unclean dish in the kitchen, waiting for others to be added for a wash later in the day. jmo.

The sheets to me based on the to-do list are not meaningful, even the needle sheath to me could have been in the lint trap or wherever the LE person found it and had been in a pants pocket sometime in the past. The outliers are more interesting...the single plate in the dishwasher ostensibly from the "steak dinner" and the half full coffee cup on the counter. The plate made it into the dishwasher but not the coffee cup...I find that fascinating and those are facts. Those are the things that don't fit or don't really have alternative possibilities for time occurrence. The fire in the fireplace, the vertical split in the door jam...those things could have happened anytime in the past and can be explained away, but dishes in a dishwasher or on the counter generally aren't there for long periods of time.

The power of circumstantial evidence is that you consider it all together - as a web

So yes you can henpeck away an individual item like the dart sheath, but the correct approach is to analyse it in its context with all the other items ... e,g, BM admitting disposal of tranqs, the "chase" location data, having a weapon at the exact moment of the location data that can fire the tranq and so on and so on

As part of that broad web of circumstantial data points, it is quite damning IMO

What are your thoughts about the coffee cup Momofthree?

An open letter to Barry Morphew:

We all know you killed your wife, that's not something that's in dispute. You are not a good person, but if you are a true Christian, you know what you have to do.

Cut a deal, tell us what happened, serve your time, live your life.

No person with half a brain believes you. 25-life when you are convicted.

That's a death sentence.

Take them there.

I don't think so. I think BM used the brown towel that has never been recovered. (SM actually had "change MM1's sheets" jotted down on her to-do-list).
Why only changing sheets and not the duvet covers as well? Why on a special to-do-list and not done immediately, storing it with other laundry to be washed (not in the dryer of course!;))? I'm asking as a housewife for tens of years.

Last edited:
Unless someone else wrote Suzanne's To Do list, I think it's reasonable to think she stripped the daughter's bed and started laundry.

What doesn't make sense is how Barry's shorts ended up in dryer.

It's again reasonable, I think, to imagine Barry pocketing the unspent bullet and the syringe cap in his pocket. It's reasonable to speculate that Barry may have undressed in the area where the bullet was discovered....

But here is where I snag --

Did Barry throw his shorts into a FULL washing machine? Had Suzanne run the washer but never got a chance to move those sheets to the dryer? So Barry did? Rewashed the sheets and his shorts, then moved it all to the dryer? Did Barry never look in the washing machine, didn't realize there was a spun load of sheets? Which raises another question. Did Barry add an ARMLOAD of laundry? What else did he wash? Did I read he said he saw a pair of Suzanne's bike shorts in the wash? Were his still in there? So what did Barry look into the dryer FOR? Did he wash, dry and retrieve something else?

I think he may have washed their sheets!! Along with the daughter's, which he perhaps didn't realize were already there! He may have remade the main bed!

It makes no sense to me that he'd wash one pair of shorts. So what else did he wash?!

As for the half cup of coffee, I think the real question is whether it was Suzanne's Saturday morning cup which she never had a chance to wash or was it an attempt at staging for Sunday?

JMOs

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this. I doubt he covered the victim and then washed the sheets. My guess is something like this. He used the sheets from that bed to cover SM, scrambled got a pair from the linen closet threw them in the dryer and gave the story about why the bed was stripped. Every time BM concocts a story I am thinking about the reason behind it.
A sheet out of a linen closet would have creases from folding, I think. It went unnoticed perhaps.

In the AA, she says that everything was fine at home.

This is MM1:
Sergeant Hysjulien next contacted REDACTED, who stated that she had last talked to Suzanne on the night of May 9, 2020.6 She had last seen Suzanne at the end of April 2020. REDACTED advised that she

Page 5 of 129

had sent a text message to Suzanne wishing her a happy Mother’s Day on May 10, 2020, but Suzanne had not replied. She also tried calling Suzanne, but the call went directly to voicemail. At that time, she received a call from Barry, asking if she contacted Suzanne. REDACTED advised him that she attempted to but was not able to reach her. Barry asked REDACTED to let him know if she was later able to reach Suzanne. REDACTED stated that Suzanne mountain-bikes regularly during the afternoon hours, often using a wide trail across the highway. Suzanne normally took her cell phone, sunglasses and blue backpack/hydration bladder on the bike rides.

When REDACTED was asked if there were any concerns with her parent’s relationship, she denied any concerns or issues. When asked if there was any reason why Suzanne may leave the area, she denied that Suzanne would ever leave for an extended amount of time. She also denied any recent incidents or concerns between Suzanne and anyone else.

This is MM2:

Sergeant Hysjulien spoke with REDACTED on May 11, 2020 and REDACTED admitted that her parents argued a lot and that she feared they would separate or divorce. She said that they were “not doing well” and that it was for the best that they would separate. REDACTED reported that they (Barry and Suzanne) were both in an “unsafe place” emotionally.

REDACTED stated, “Him’ REDACTED and my dad are different people and they (Suzanne and Barry) argue and, I mean, they get in fights and … I don’t know they both have- they both have just not felt safe at some point.” REDACTED added that Suzanne and Barry “weren’t getting along” and had discussed divorce.7
In the May 13th interview attached above, didn't BM tell LE that, while talking to neighbor Jeanne, he told her that he had pulled out SM's car from the garage ? This was in context of Jeanne looking to see if SM's bike was there, and she didn't see it. Why would BM have pulled Suzanne's car out of the garage before leaving for Broomfield? For what purpose?

Why only changing sheets and not the duvet covers as well? Why on a special to-do-list and not done immediately, storing it with other laundry to be washed? I'm asking as a housewife for tens of years.

I wonder what else was on her list.

I think it's very likely Barry had slept in MM1's bed last -- so Suzanne was washing the sheets before the daughters returned.

JMO

I think it's very likely Barry had slept in MM1's bed last -- so Suzanne was washing the sheets before the daughters returned.

JMO
or Barry washed the sheets he slept on in MM1's room so as not to leave the impression that they were not sleeping together. He seemed to be in tune with concealing any marital strife from LE by attention to detail.

JMO

But as From Germany said, would she not change and wash all of the bed clothes,duvet cover,pillow cases as well as the sheets?
I think she would have had more than one set of bed linen and have made up the bed with fresh sheets from the linen cupboard

He was tired off waiting around, so he prompted her to call Suzanne and discover that she was missing.
I believe, that this is exactly, what was happening, sk716. MM1 didn't think twice about such a call by her dad, if her mother hours later turned out to have disappeared?? She is a bit very slow on the uptake, it seems.

Why only changing sheets and not the duvet covers as well? Why on a special to-do-list and not done immediately, storing it with other laundry to be washed (not in the dryer of course!;))? I'm asking as a housewife for tens of years.
Also, would SM strip the bed and leave the pillows and/or comforter partially lying on the ground ? I think we have been shown by the info in these threads that she kept things in a very tidy fashion. Whereas BM not so much... So who really washed those sheets?
Did BM take a little catnap in M1 bed while he was about his business that Sat afternoon into early Sunday morning? Or as someone else suggested earlier in the thread, had SM and BM been sleeping separately ? Was it BM who stripped off the sheets leaving the comforter and pillows askew. Did he wash the sheets along with the shorts/clothes he wore earlier on Saturday ?
Did he throw it all in the dryer to spin on his way out that early morning or did he put it all in the dryer and forget to empty ?

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

Exhibit 66: Photo of Mallory Morphew's bedroom. The bed was stripped. Pillows and comforter were on the ground/bed. The sheets were found downstairs.
10:53 AM · Aug 23, 2021·Twitter Web App

I think I've solved the case.

JMO

While Barry was tinkering in his garage, after taking down his trail cameras at the worst possible time, a rogue abductor must have slipped into the home, quietly made his way through the locked bedroom door, splintered wood and all. There he apprehended Suzanne and walked her out of the house, pausing long enough to gather her bicycle and her baby blue helmet, all the while avoiding Barry's peripheral vision.

He must have struggled with manhandling both the bike and Suzanne, eventually tossing the bike over the road. Not sure why the manhandler chose to keep the helmet at that point, but maybe Suzanne was carrying it and it gave her some comfort, holding it. For a time anyway.

Now it's only because of the sky pen and serendipity that we even know, not just about Barry's penchant for true crime podcasts, but also which true crime podcasts he'd listened to. What we don't know, however, is which ones he may have listened to on unrecorded days.

Perhaps he listened to one urging spouses of missing persons, if ever their spouse disappears, to remove all traces of the abduction.

It's been a year and a half, that ghosty abductor must scarcely be able to fathom his good fortune, that Barry erased all traces of his presence.

If only Barry could recall what he dumpstered, maybe he could piece together who took his wife.

Surely he'd beating himself up that he wasn't able to interrupt that abduction, when he must've been mere inches away or even later that night when his prostate kept getting the better of him, that none of his late night wandering coincided with the abductor's return visit with Suzanne, in and around the Bobcat, to retrieve her phone.

Incredible really that Barry can smoke out a chipmunk but not a predator, threatening his family.

I guess we know who the real threat was.

JMO

I wash my sheets separately in hot or at least warm water. How about the rest of you? And does anyone wash a single pair of shorts with a set of sheets? IMO this is work of a man who has likely never done a load of laundry in his life until absolutely necessary. Maybe even to imply that Suzanne was awake and alive Sunday morning checking off her to do list while enjoying her coffee? I call BS IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500