Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #102

Status
Not open for further replies.
Germany
"A 39-year-old man from Leipzig has been diagnosed with the Omicron variant, the first confirmed case in Germany with no travel history, according to health officials.

The infected man had not traveled abroad recently nor had any contact with anyone who had traveled overseas, Leipzig Health Department director Regine Krause-Döring said."
bbm

Live updates: Omicron variant cases spread and countries rush to impose travel bans

what to make of this?

These African countries don't want us to impose travel restrictions so I'm having a hard time believing that omicron is no big deal, which is essentially what some of these physicians seem to be saying. I'm comparing that with the reactions of other countries, which are basing their decisions on what their own scientists are recommending and the two reactions just don't gel.

Checked that box today. I was feeling more comfortable with plans to travel abroad in January. Flights and accommodations were booked last month. I am very hopeful we know more about Omicron by that time, as I am beginning to feel more uneasy about it with the latest news.
I am not going anywhere in the near future. My granddaughter was stuck in the UK until September, she has been home for only a month and we are looking at closing borders again. She may have been stuck there until after Christmas.

I am not going anywhere in the near future. My granddaughter was stuck in the UK until September, she has been home for only a month and we are looking at closing borders again. She may have been stuck there until after Christmas.

Are you in the US? If so is your granddaughter a US citizen?

My daughter is booked on Dec 11 to go to France to spend Christmas with her Dad. She is a dual citizen.
If borders are closed, does the US allow citizens to return?
I don't think she should go personally, too soon. She is an ER nurse and I fear that if she couldn't get back for some time, it might result in ramifications with her employment.

Unvaccinated people are 9 times more likely to be hospitalized, and 14 times more likely to die of Covid, than the vaccinated.

Unvaccinated 14 Times More Likely to Die From COVID

ETA:
Monitoring Incidence of COVID-19 Cases...

I cannot express strongly enough how po'd I am with these non-vaxxers: Here in Michigan these disgusting individuals are overwhelming our hospital systems to the point that people with heart attacks, etc. cannot get treated timely, maybe not at all. So, these awful selfish people are getting the best care, top of the line, while people who do the right thing cannot get treatment. Is that fair? He;; no it isn't -- So what is the downside of being a selfish person, who is causing the virus to mutate and linger? There is no downside: in fact, when these people get infected they get the best care possible, put others at risk, and cause other people to possibly die because there is no more room in the hospitals for them. It makes me sick.

My daughter is booked on Dec 11 to go to France to spend Christmas with her Dad. She is a dual citizen.
I don't think she should go personally, too soon. She is an ER nurse and I fear that if she couldn't get back for some time, it might result in ramifications with her employment.

I could be mistaken, but I believe @JayWill is in Australia. Their borders have been closed. Ours haven’t.

Rhode Island
Pilgrim High principal Gerald Habershaw died from COVID, says brother
much more at link
WARWICK — At least 45 people who attended a Nov. 6 homecoming dance at Pilgrim High School have tested positive for COVID-19. And the event may have contributed to the death of school principal Gerald Habershaw, says his brother.

Habershaw, 57, who had been fully vaccinated, died Saturday of complications from COVID, said his younger brother David Habershaw.

“He started feeling ill a couple of days after the dance,” David Habershaw said, “but he was getting better” — though sleeping about 20 hours a day.

Gerald Habershaw had not been hospitalized and was convalescing at home in North Kingstown, his brother said. He died Saturday after a rescue rushed him to a hospital after he began suffering chest pains, said David Habershaw.

I cannot express strongly enough how po'd I am with these non-vaxxers: Here in Michigan these disgusting individuals are overwhelming our hospital systems to the point that people with heart attacks, etc. cannot get treated timely, maybe not at all. So, these awful selfish people are getting the best care, top of the line, while people who do the right thing cannot get treatment. Is that fair? He;; no it isn't -- So what is the downside of being a selfish person, who is causing the virus to mutate and linger? There is no downside: in fact, when these people get infected they get the best care possible, put others at risk, and cause other people to possibly die because there is no more room in the hospitals for them. It makes me sick.

I agree. It’s infuriating. Based on their FB comments, anti-vaxxers don’t believe the hospital statistics… calling them “scare tactics,” dontcha know. :mad: Here is the latest in Oregon:

There are 68 available adult ICU beds out of 679 total (10% availability) and 368 available adult non-ICU beds out of 4,092 (9% availability).
Oregon reports 2,598 new confirmed and presumptive COVID-19 cases, 27 new deaths

Oregon is divided into seven regions for hospital tracking purposes, each containing several counties. In my rural 2-county region #5 in Southern Oregon, only seven adult ICU beds (12%) and 38 adult non-ICU beds (9%) are available at the four hospitals (two very small). Our region isn’t even the worst off, but we are miles away from the surrounding regions that aren’t much, if any, better off.

Interestingly, Oregon and Washington have the lowest number of hospital beds per capita in the country. The reasons make sense until you have a pandemic. It’s not just beds, it’s staffing for those beds that is problematic now. So getting sick or injured right now isn’t a great idea!

Oregon, Washington have fewest hospital beds per capita | kgw.com

Habershaw, 57, who had been fully vaccinated, died Saturday of complications from COVID, said his younger brother David Habershaw.

“He started feeling ill a couple of days after the dance,” David Habershaw said, “but he was getting better” — though sleeping about 20 hours a day.
BBM

Tragic. Although sleep is restorative, sleeping that much can be a red flag and it would have been good if he had gone to the ER earlier. When I had covid and wanted to go back to bed right after getting up, my dh called the doctor and then the ambulance, thankfully. On the list of deaths Oregon publishes each day, so many die at home. I think a lot of people just wait too long before seeking help.

Last edited:

No, I am in Australia. Our borders have been closed for almost two years, but she is a professional sports person who went to play in the off season in the UK. She could have flown home mid August, when she was booked to, but she tested positive the day of her flight and had to quarantine, and then Australia would not let her in. We did warn her that she may not be allowed back in but she shrugged it off. "It will be fine".

There is zero reasonable discussion regarding masks/vaccine/mandates in the United States.

I don't remember anyone fussing about "mandates" and "religious beliefs" when we all got vaccinated for polio.

You’re right. When the polio vaccine was introduced back in the 1950’s it was a different world. Even as a kid, I was scared of polio and so grateful for the shot and later the sugar cube. People are nuts today.

You’re right. When the polio vaccine was introduced back in the 1950’s it was a different world. Even as a kid, I was scared of polio and so grateful for the shot and later the sugar cube. People are nuts today.
And smallpox...we were all inoculated. I was inoculated as a baby, on the sole of my foot....the scar is visible. Now it's eradicated...as is polio.
Yes people are nuts. We wear seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, we stop at stop signs, have speed limits etc etc., nobody ranted about freedom of choice, government controls, or tyranny. smh

New Hampshire
New Hampshire is offering its residents free rapid COVID-19 tests. Why not Massachusetts?

Maine is down to 44 icu beds open statewide. They have very few to begin with. Northern NE is getting hit pretty hard.
Eta this says 55 icu beds as of last week. I could have sworn I saw 44 somewhere.
CDC director warns about ICU capacity as Maine coronavirus hospitalizations continue climb

I wish that we had access to free lateral flow antigen tests across the US. Many people simply cannot afford even $14-$25 for 2 tests. That's a lot of money for people on tight budgets.

I looked at what the UK are doing, and there, people can request tests be sent to their home by mail at no cost. Why isn't the US doing this?

Rapid lateral flow coronavirus (COVID-19) tests

Michael Mina spoke about the importance of affordable testing over a year ago!

How We Can Stop the Spread of Coronavirus by Christmas

A renewed call for more rapid COVID-19 tests

What is the federal government doing about this? I do NOT trust most states to make this a priority, so I would like to see the federal government step up. JMO as always.

ETA: The UK is doing more than double the number of tests per million of the population, compared to the US.
Source:
COVID Live Update: 262,429,694 Cases and 5,224,820 Deaths from the Coronavirus - Worldometer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211130-003047.png
    Screenshot_20211130-003047.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20211130-003313.png
    Screenshot_20211130-003313.png
    197.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics