MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, shooting at Oxford High School, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect your option and experience, ReadySet, I just disagree with the premise that the school was looking out for Ethan’s best interests. It seems that the teachers did the right thing but school admin dropped the ball.

I grew up two parents who are teachers. My father was a school administrator. I have a sister and brother-in-law who spent over 30 years in education. I worked for seven years as a substitute teacher. I was married to a police officer then police chief for 25 years. I think I understand how the system is supposed to work.

It is never OK to sacrifice the safety of another student much less the entire school in order to shield a dangerous student from legal consequences. Schools have a duty to protect all of the students.

Ethan needed immediate professional help. He needed to be removed from the situation that was the focus of his homicidal thoughts. In his note, he explicitly asked for help. If police had been notified, there would have been good reason to employ the Baker Act to put him in a mental health facility for 3 days, which would have given him access to the professional help that his parents were not willing to provide.

MOO

So I want to know who allowed him to go back to class?

Good thing the police removed their stockpile of firearms the other day, but they probably had more stashed somewhere else. Nutty, extremely dangerous family. I feel badly for LE having to find them, that's a risky job with these two.

from the link above:

McCabe said Fugitive Apprehension Team officers still were out searching for the couple as of mid-afternoon Friday. The Crumbley family owns a 2021 white Kia Seltos with the license plate DQG5203, according to Michigan Secretary of State records.

Their case is charged in 52-3 District Court in Rochester Hills, and an arraignment is tentatively set for 4 p.m. Friday.

Good thing the police removed their stockpile of firearms the other day, but they probably had more stashed somewhere else. Nutty, extremely dangerous family. I feel badly for LE having to find them, that's a risky job with these two.

Does anyone know if the parents have been arrested or out on bail? I'm trying to follow this story and it's moving quickly.
Sorry for so many questions..and thank you in advance.

During the PC, a reporter asked the prosecutor if they were in custody and she wouldn't answer the question. Wonder if they have been MIA for a while.

Michigan high school shooting suspect, 15, appears at court hearing

"Meanwhile, his parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, were looking on via video from a separate location, wearing baseball caps and blue casual tops, as the district judge Nancy Carmiak heard from a law enforcement witness, in the courtroom, about the attack at the school on Tuesday afternoon."

IMO they were on the move then.

DH and I just discussed this. I'm sure the pair are armed and dangerous. I wonder if they bolted right after Ethan was arraigned? They appeared to be sitting in a vehicle during the hearing instead of being with their son. Perhaps they anticipated that they would eventually be held accountable and took off asap.

Michigan high school shooting suspect, 15, appears at court hearing

"Meanwhile, his parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, were looking on via video from a separate location, wearing baseball caps and blue casual tops, as the district judge Nancy Carmiak heard from a law enforcement witness, in the courtroom, about the attack at the school on Tuesday afternoon."

IMO they were on the move then.

They just made things a whole lot more difficult for themselves. They'll spend some extra time in prison for that.

I mean this with the utmost respect, because I understand the point of your question. But hasn’t every kid been bullied?
We need to equip kids not to be victims and to manage their anger appropriately. Blaming “bullying” is insane to me because even brutal bullying is no excuse for shooting up a school.
Also, on a side note, I hope his parents pay civilly and criminally for giving him access to ammunition and guns. In some of these cases I empathize with parents, but I can’t find any reason for empathy here.
I agree TOTALLY!!!! Thank you!

Thank you.
Yes, I tried posting about Kip Kinkel earlier in the thread.

DH was school principal for 30 years. He saw everything in terms of kids, parents, etc.
I shared this case with him.
He said the SRO should have been involved, and if they weren't, probably would have called police. Not to arrest him, but because of potential self-harm, and possibility he should have been on a hold, as someone stated upthread. There are legal steps LE has to go through to do that.

He said that legally, because the boy was a minor and parents refused to search his backpack, the school's hands may have been tied legally about searching it themselves. I wonder now if the admin. at my school called the parents to get permission to search kids' backpacks, IDK.

THANK YOU @ReadySet, for explaining so clearly and eloquently how teachers and schools think about their students’ well-being. My husband taught school for close to thirty years and you are absolutely correct. I find it extremely disturbing that people here are blaming the school more than being furious with the parents, as my husband and I are. I think it is sometimes easier to blame schools where many may have bad memories than to blame parents, which many of us are.

I’d also like to point out that even if the police had been called in, there was nothing they legally could have done if the parents weren’t cooperative. Words and drawings are not grounds for arrest. Clearly, the mother had a terrible attitude and would have resisted help from authorities. We all wish Ethan’s backpack had been searched, but we don’t know whether the parents refused to give the school permission to do that. The mistake the school made was in letting him return to the classroom, but I believe this boy would have found a way to commit this horrible act somehow that “voices” were apparently telling him to do. All JMO.

I posted earlier about Kip Kinkel, the Springfield, Oregon school shooter who was hearing voices telling him to kill. Ethan’s note about the voices indicates that he may have been struggling with severe mental illness. Although Kinkel received counseling, he managed to hide the voices from his therapist and parents. He and his father went target shooting to “bond.”

A short version of the HuffPost article…
Thurston High School shooter Kip Kinkel says he feels 'tremendous shame and guilt'

The full story of the Kinkel interview that I posted several days ago. Well worth reading to understand what may have been going on with Ethan. It doesn’t excuse, but it helps explain the horror inflicted on these students.
Kip Kinkel Is Ready To Speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member