Found Deceased MT - Rebekah Barsotti 33, & dog (fnd deceased), Town Pump, Superior, Mineral Co, 20 Jul 2021 *Reward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part 3

Transcript of meeting with Mineral County Montana Board of Commissioners, November 26, 2021, with her family, concerned citizens and LE. Video time: 1:03:26 - 1:10:18

Missing Rebekah Barsotti, née Rose

Recalling back from part 2. Mike Toth <Mineral County Sheriff, MT>: It’s a missing person’s <case> until she’s found. Whether she’s recovered in the river or recovered somewhere else or found somewhere. It’s a missing person’s case. So, that, if we can fix it, we’ll get it fixed.

Angela <Mastrovito, AM>: Okay

MT: Because it should be a missing person’s. We said that. You <Angela> were in the meeting Missoula hammered out, so DCI <Department of Criminal Investigation>, originally …..

This all happens in the middle….this all happens like around five at night. Okay, it’s getting dark. Deputies go out there with Highway Patrol, they search the banks, they don’t see anything, they then, they see the stuff that they get called about. There are some things I can’t talk about, but they’re <the family> well aware of it. They’ve <the family> been briefed on it. We briefed the family on everything. There’s items that lead us to believe that she <Rebekah> went into the water.

There was no suicide whatsoever at this, so I don’t know where that came <from>, but there’s no suicide.

The reason the dog…. that it’s the water…<I can’t hear this properly> We have evidence to show the dog at one point was in the water playing, with a stick. So that’s where everything’s pointing to the river. Because we’ve got items that are neatly set, that would say; somebody’s sitting there enjoying themselves on a hot day with their dog. Which is what she <Rebekah> does and likes to do. So everything matched everything perfectly.

AM: Can I intervene for a check for a minute?

MT: Oh, let me finish. You did all the time.

AM: All right, I’ll let you finish.

?: Take the right note

MT: She did that all the time. You <referring to Angela> did this all the time, she <Angela> did that a lot.

<In the background woman X is talking: “Let her speak, she’s missing her kid, that’s why she is upset”>

MT: Ok, go ahead

AM: The driver’s license and the credit card were perfectly laid out. You couldn’t have laid them out better with a ruler. Okay? And the whole thing is that this scenario is; ‘girl rescues dog’. You are not going to take the time to take your driver’s license and your credit card out of your pocket. You’re not going to take the time.

She <Rebekah> wore sunglasses all day long, because of a nevus on the cornea of her eye. So she wore sunglasses all day long. So law enforcement looks at the sunglasses and the hat, discarded, as: she threw them off.

MT: The witness that found it says they picked up the driver’s license.

Woman X, in audience: What witness?

MT: We’re not going to tell you.

Woman X in audience: Exactly

MT: It’s because…you can’t…if you reach out to him, now you’re harassing a witness. We know who he is. We know who the family is. We’re in contact.

Woman X in audience: And the 911 call wasn’t reported to you/the family?

Gerry Mastrovito<GM?, not sure who is talking>: So Sheriff, maybe, maybe….well.. help us…

MT: <interferes speaker> What I’m saying is; a witness called 911.They admit picking up items and looked as they’re like “What is this?” They pick it up. Then they go: “Oh, oh, we better set this down.” They’re the ones that stacked that nice. We’re <the Sheriff’s office> not saying Rebekah stacked that nice. Now there is….like the hat and the leash.

AM: Right

MT: And that there but, yeah, she probably was enjoying herself. You saw what you saw on the one video.

AM: On the one video. I didn’t see. We didn’t see the dog in the water with a stick.

<people talking over each other>

Male X in audience: The thing is, and it’s a simple thing, is: why not just get DCI <Department of Criminal Investigation> invited.

MT: I’m getting there.

So when we think she is in the water, when we finally think we might have somebody in the water. That’s what.. uh..we think we have got. I call Missoula <County, Sheriff’s office>, because they got their search and rescue and they got divers. So they come out. I call ‘Two Bear Air’ to search the air, right away. I call Flathead County. They’ve got, they’ve got expert river rescue divers. They start heading down. Kootenai County, eventually, comes down later on and she <?, don’t understand the ‘she’ MT is referring to> contacts the place <?> out of Missoula <County> or out of Minnesota. Missoula invites them over again. <don’t understand this whole part> So we don’t need no more divers. There’s been enough divers in the water.

MT: You know. We are risking people’s life now at this point. So when Missoula shows up, their detectives come out. TJ <McDermott, Sheriff, Missoula County> asked me “What do you need?” and I go: “Well, your ‘Search and Rescue’ got the water. I need somebody, because I ain’t got the manpower, to, let’s say, she’s not in the water. I need you to investigate that.” And that’s what they did.

?: Okay…

MT: Missoula <Sheriff’s office> took it. Missoula took that investigation over from us at that point.

AM?: Can I ask a question?

Chairman/male in audience?: Just let him finish, please.

MT: So we handed that part outside of the river <over?>. If she <Rebekah> is not in the river, handle this and so then he <?> put two detectives and sergeant <Ryan> Prather. And then I can’t think of <remember> the other two detectives names.

AM: Travis Wafstet and Kellen Larson

MT: Yeah, and the commander, whatever.

AM: Dave <such and such> I don’t remember his last name. Dave.

MT: Right. So they take over <the part of the investigation>: “What happens if she is not in the river?”, <and> start searching. Now they do bring, because when I was there, there were cadaver dogs there and they did search that immediate area, up in those bushes and all that. That one guy in Alberton <?> has like….he trains them and they brought his dogs in and then Missoula County brought their dog in. And I think maybe the city <City of Missoula?> brought a dog, but <the> County for sure and I know that this guy in Alberton <?> brought three dogs in. And one at the time they went through and…um…when I was there, they all ended up going and then they went right to the river, where her <Rebekah’s> stuff was at and started barking into the river. And so then, okay, but Missoula takes the outside stuff which then leads to the trailer? and all that. Why that was all taken? You <Angela Mastrovito> were with them. Agree.

AM: I agree, I was outside there with the/a mediator.

MT: We’re out of there at that point. We’re at that point: that’s their investigation. They grab all that stuff for their investigation. Thinking: well maybe it’s better to have it than not to have it. So they grab it. They don’t think there is a need to search it right now, because, again, we have a missing person’s <case> Um, so they don’t think they need to search it. I know some people are leaning <towards the idea> that she was murdered by, maybe, a family member or not and so I don’t know what the laptop would show, with that. The phone didn’t show anything. Didn’t lead us anywhere. In the phone would be more ……..the…….<details?>

Male X in audience: But that’s….but Mikey…..

MT: So we called DCI. They only got one detective that would come help us. Missoula’s got it. Now if you want me to have DCI in and review everything we’ve done. I’ve not problem with that …I call and asking. And talk about Fish and Game’s…<Montana Fish Game and Wildlife> I called them the day it happened, said this: “This is yours”. <Response to MT from them> “No we don’t want no part of that, have a joy.” They were all in training. They wouldn’t come. The only thing they would do is they’d string yellow tape upon top of that one path.

AM: I saw that and I didn’t understand that at all.

MT: That’s the only thing they said they would do.

AM: I mean, she wasn’t even there, at that spot.

MT: Search and Rescue was down there. They didn’t want people coming down there while they were searching. They want people back in a way. But they said that’s the only thing they would do for us. <yellow tape>

Male X in the audience: I do, I think there’s things, I….

I hope I can fix the last part in one part, but I really can't promise.

Last edited:

Part 3

Transcript of meeting with Mineral County Montana Board of Commissioners, November 26, 2021, with her family, concerned citizens and LE. Video time: 1:03:26 - 1:10:18

Missing Rebekah Barsotti, née Rose

Recalling back from part 2. Mike Toth <Mineral County Sheriff, MT>: It’s a missing person’s <case> until she’s found. Whether she’s recovered in the river or recovered somewhere else or found somewhere. It’s a missing person’s case. So, that, if we can fix it, we’ll get it fixed.

Angela <Mastrovito, AM>: Okay

MT: Because it should be a missing person’s. We said that. You <Angela> were in the meeting Missoula hammered out, so DCI <Department of Criminal Investigation>, originally …..

This all happens in the middle….this all happens like around five at night. Okay, it’s getting dark. Deputies go out there with Highway Patrol, they search the banks, they don’t see anything, they then, they see the stuff that they get called about. There are some things I can’t talk about, but they’re <the family> well aware of it. They’ve <the family> been briefed on it. We briefed the family on everything. There’s items that lead us to believe that she <Rebekah> went into the water.

There was no suicide whatsoever at this, so I don’t know where that came <from>, but there’s no suicide.

The reason the dog…. that it’s the water…<I can’t hear this properly> We have evidence to show the dog at one point was in the water playing, with a stick. So that’s where everything’s pointing to the river. Because we’ve got items that are neatly set, that would say; somebody’s sitting there enjoying themselves on a hot day with their dog. Which is what she <Rebekah> does and likes to do. So everything matched everything perfectly.

AM: Can I intervene for a check for a minute?

MT: Oh, let me finish. You did all the time.

AM: All right, I’ll let you finish.

?: Take the right note

MT: She did that all the time. You <referring to Angela> did this all the time, she <Angela> did that a lot.

<In the background woman X is talking: “Let her speak, she’s missing her kid, that’s why she is upset”>

MT: Ok, go ahead

AM: The driver’s license and the credit card were perfectly laid out. You couldn’t have laid them out better with a ruler. Okay? And the whole thing is that this scenario is; ‘girl rescues dog’. You are not going to take the time to take your driver’s license and your credit card out of your pocket. You’re not going to take the time.

She <Rebekah> wore sunglasses all day long, because of a nevus on the cornea of her eye. So she wore sunglasses all day long. So law enforcement looks at the sunglasses and the hat, discarded, as: she threw them off.

MT: The witness that found it says they picked up the driver’s license.

Woman X, in audience: What witness?

MT: We’re not going to tell you.

Woman X in audience: Exactly

MT: It’s because…you can’t…if you reach out to him, now you’re harassing a witness. We know who he is. We know who the family is. We’re in contact.

Woman X in audience: And the 911 call wasn’t reported to you/the family?

Gerry Mastrovito<GM?, not sure who is talking>: So Sheriff, maybe, maybe….well.. help us…

MT: <interferes speaker> What I’m saying is; a witness called 911.They admit picking up items and looked as they’re like “What is this?” They pick it up. Then they go: “Oh, oh, we better set this down.” They’re the ones that stacked that nice. We’re <the Sheriff’s office> not saying Rebekah stacked that nice. Now there is….like the hat and the leash.

MT: And that there but, yeah, she probably was enjoying herself. You saw what you saw on the one video.

AM: On the one video. I didn’t see. We didn’t see the dog in the water with a stick.

<people talking over each other>

Male X in audience: The thing is, and it’s a simple thing, is: why not just get DCI <Department of Criminal Investigation> invited.

MT: I’m getting there.

So when we think she is in the water, when we finally think we might have somebody in the water. That’s what.. uh..we think we have got. I call Missoula <County, Sheriff’s office>, because they got their search and rescue and they got divers. So they come out. I call ‘Two Bear Air’ to search the air, right away. I call Flathead County. They’ve got, they’ve got expert river rescue divers. They start heading down. Kootenai County, eventually, comes down later on and she <?, don’t understand the ‘she’ MT is referring to> contacts the place <?> out of Missoula <County> or out of Minnesota. Missoula invites them over again. <don’t understand this whole part> So we don’t need no more divers. There’s been enough divers in the water.

MT: You know. We are risking people’s life now at this point. So when Missoula shows up, their detectives come out. TJ <McDermott, Sheriff, Missoula County> asked me “What do you need?” and I go: “Well, your ‘Search and Rescue’ got the water. I need somebody, because I ain’t got the manpower, to, let’s say, she’s not in the water. I need you to investigate that.” And that’s what they did.

?: Okay…

MT: Missoula <Sheriff’s office> took it. Missoula took that investigation over from us at that point.

AM?: Can I ask a question?

Chairman/male in audience?: Just let him finish, please.

MT: So we handed that part outside of the river <over?>. If she <Rebekah> is not in the river, handle this and so then he <?> put two detectives and sergeant <Ryan> Prather. And then I can’t think of <remember> the other two detectives names.

AM: Travis Wafstet and Kellen Larson

MT: Yeah, and the commander, whatever.

AM: Dave <such and such> I don’t remember his last name. Dave.

MT: Right. So they take over <the part of the investigation>: “What happens if she is not in the river?”, <and> start searching. Now they do bring, because when I was there, there were cadaver dogs there and they did search that immediate area, up in those bushes and all that. That one guy in Alberton <?> has like….he trains them and they brought his dogs in and then Missoula County brought their dog in. And I think maybe the city <City of Missoula?> brought a dog, but <the> County for sure and I know that this guy in Alberton <?> brought three dogs in. And one at the time they went through and…um…when I was there, they all ended up going and then they went right to the river, where her <Rebekah’s> stuff was at and started barking into the river. And so then, okay, but Missoula takes the outside stuff which then leads to the trailer? and all that. Why that was all taken? You <Angela Mastrovito> were with them. Agree.

AM: I agree, I was outside there with the/a mediator.

MT: We’re out of there at that point. We’re at that point: that’s their investigation. They grab all that stuff for their investigation. Thinking: well maybe it’s better to have it than not to have it. So they grab it. They don’t think there is a need to search it right now, because, again, we have a missing person’s <case> Um, so they don’t think they need to search it. I know some people are leaning <towards the idea> that she was murdered by, maybe, a family member or not and so I don’t know what the laptop would show, with that. The phone didn’t show anything. Didn’t lead us anywhere. In the phone would be more ……..the…….<details?>

Male X in audience: But that’s….but Mikey…..

MT: So we called DCI. They only got one detective that would come help us. Missoula’s got it. Now if you want me to have DCI in and review everything we’ve done. I’ve not problem with that …I call and asking. And talk about Fish and Game’s…<Montana Fish Game and Wildlife> I called them the day it happened, said this: “This is yours”. <Response to MT from them> “No we don’t want no part of that, have a joy.” They were all in training. They wouldn’t come. The only thing they would do is they’d string yellow tape upon top of that one path.

AM: I saw that and I didn’t understand that at all.

MT: That’s the only thing they said they would do.

AM: I mean, she wasn’t even there, at that spot.

MT: Search and Rescue was down there. They didn’t want people coming down there while they were searching. They want people back in a way. But they said that’s the only thing they would do for us. <yellow tape>

Male X in the audience: I do, I think there’s things, I….

I hope I can fix the last part in one part, but I really can't promise.

@Bit of hope Thank you!

MT saying it was getting dark at 5:00 is ridiculous. When I was there it didn't get dark until 10:00 pm. He must think his community is not smart. JMHO

@Bit of hope Thank you!

MT saying it was getting dark at 5:00 is ridiculous. When I was there it didn't get dark until 10:00 pm. He must think his community is not smart. JMHO

At least it makes you wonder (Timeline wise) at what time the 911 call was made and at what time they actually arrived at the scene. Also if I recall it right the "witness" already had left the scene by that time.....and that time was? I know there was a FOIA for the 911 call, that was denied.....Maybe the Sheriff gave away something by putting it this way.

Last edited:
Posted Aug 4, 2021
Just in case anyone comes across these jugs in the Clark Fork River, this could be of interest. I left off the name, it's on the post.
Mineral County Sheriffs Office

I conducted a test today, I tied two 1 gallon jugs of water together and threw them in where they say rebekah went in. I watch them and they came through the rapids with no problem. Now if someone sees these jugs hung up it would be a good spot to search. If nothing comes up please tell everyone to push them back into the current so we can keep track of where they might get hung up for more spots to search and we can see how far they float per hr so this is a new way of knowing how far she could of floated to.

Posted Aug 4, 2021
Just in case anyone comes across these jugs in the Clark Fork River, this could be of interest. I left off the name, it's on the post.

I conducted a test today, I tied two 1 gallon jugs of water together and threw them in where they say rebekah went in. I watch them and they came through the rapids with no problem. Now if someone sees these jugs hung up it would be a good spot to search. If nothing comes up please tell everyone to push them back into the current so we can keep track of where they might get hung up for more spots to search and we can see how far they float per hr so this is a new way of knowing how far she could of floated to.

I'll be interested to see if they make it ten miles downstream.

Quite a bit actually. I hope you will view the video of AM's meeting with the Mineral County Commissioners or read the transcript of that meeting in previous posts (pages 21 and 27) kindly provided by @Bit of hope. Here is a small portion of AM's presentation:

"We believe that from the onset of Rebekah’s missing there has been a lack of due diligence. The area was not thoroughly assessed at mile marker 72. When we asked if anybody knew the number of trucks or the number of vehicles at mile marker 72, they did not. When we asked if they knew the number of vehicles at St. John’s access site, they did not have that recorded and St. John’s access has multiple overgrown bushes. If you’ve been down there during this summer many of the vehicles you can’t see until you’re on top of them because the bushes are so overgrown. Sheriff Toth informed the family that all items at the scene were compromised, with the exception of Rebekah’s phone. Nothing has been submitted for forensics. The Mineral County Sheriff’s Office is now in possession of Rebekah’s laptop. This has never been accessed. There was an incomplete search of Rebekah’s vehicle. Meant at the time of discovery at mile marker 72, the Mineral county deputies did not find a gun in the car and when I asked Missoula about her gun on July 23rd they said that it had not been reported. I said "then you have another problem on your hands". So when they went to go get Rebekah’s car, they found the gun in the pocket of the driver’s store. So that would lead me to believe there was not a thorough investigation of the vehicle.

The vehicle itself has never had forensics performed on it and when the statement about Rebekah’s missing was released about Rebekah missing, there was no context about her being married or had being in a domestic abuse situation. That was completely left out of anything that was released to the media or the public. The charges were not acknowledged by LE, but those charges were filed here, in Mineral county."

Regarding land searches (from the CC meeting transcript): "On 7/25 Sergeant Funk informed myself and my sister Laura Williams that there were no tracking dogs on land or surrounding areas. The only dogs used were for the water in the riverbank, but they failed to look on land."

Regarding the RP: LE has refused to release the recording of the 911 call placed by the RB. A FOIA request by LW for details about the call was denied.

I don't know if RB is in the river. However, regarding Cerberus you have unintentionally made a case for why it is highly unlikely he would end up 10 miles downstream from the alleged accident. From your post:

"These rocks create sieves in cracks and spaces between the rocks where people and other objects can get caught up."

"Because of the physiology of the body, it has a tendency to get hung up on things."

I don't think you can discount the domestic violence situation, mainly because of the timing and the threats made by DB (paraphrasing - I will drown both you and your dog). The other thing that bothers me is that Sheriff Toth said DB is not a suspect and never will be. So much for an open minded investigation.

I hope @laurawlms weighs in as she can probably more politely and more eloquently explain why many of us on this thread feel LE has dropped the ball and that further investigation (hopefully DCI or FBI) should be undertaken. MOO

Sorry for the delayed reply. SM, did a good job outlining points in his reply. I will just add, when Deputy RF took me and AM to the location where RB's personal items were found on the river bank, there was a family recreationing there. I asked RF why that area wasn't secured and he explained the incident has never been considered a crime so they had no reason to tape it off. I believe this mindset severely tarnished or compromised the case from the onset. When we asked if dogs had been brought in Deputy RF again explained that would only happen if the situation was considered a crime. I personally don't understand how it wasn't considered a crime initially or how they immediately ruled out foul play. Deputy RF was fully aware of the marital issues and specifically the Standing Order of No Contact because of the assault in March. I honestly have never seen a missing person case where DV is alleged and the spouse is not considered a suspect. RB's personal items were never checked for fingerprints, her vehicle was not checked for fingerprints. I believe whatever happened happened on the riverbank not in the upper parking lot. When we were taken to this area we drove down the path and there were many vehicles (trucks) parked down on the river bank area. Of course most left because LE was there too. I mentally questioned that. It made me think possible illegal activity happening down on this side of the river aka St. Johns Fishing Access.

I believe NoSpoonFeeding (forgive me if I'm wrong) had suggested you can see this area (east side of Alberton Rock) from I-90 and/or the upper parking lot. You can't. Maybe during certain times of the year you can but the area going down there was a rocky path surrounded by trees and brush (when I was there). The west side of the rock is visible from the upper parking lot and if no cars or trucks are in the upper parking lot you could possibly see the river from I-90.

I also question why Sheriff Toth didn't invite DCI of FBI to assist. Other missing persons cases have had their involvement. It makes it appear as though someone is either protecting DB or covering something up. The lack of transparency in RB's missing case is disturbing to say the least. Again it makes appear as though someone is protecting DB or covering something up. This wouldn't be the first time Deputy RF was potentially involved in a coverup from information that I have read on the internet. All we want is to find RB. Why isn't this LE's goal?

@Bit of hope Thank you!

Google says:

9:24 p.m.

Tuesday, July 20, 2021 (MDT)
Sunset in Alberton, MT, USA

People who live in northern areas don't need Google to tell them this. They know from experience that daylight and twilight are extended in the summer months. Similarly, daylight hours are shorter in the winter months. It's due to the tilt of the earth in the northern hemisphere.

At least it makes you wonder (Timeline wise) at what time the 911 call was made and at what time they actually arrived at the scene. Also if I recall it right the "witness" already had left the scene by that time.....and that time was? I know there was a FOIA for the 911 call, that was denied.....Maybe the Sheriff gave away something by putting it this way.

This is one of the reasons I said the timeline is debatable, but that's just one of the reasons.

This public announcement was made yesterday in Missoula:

Montana leaders announce Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month

“Human trafficking and sexual slavery are happening in Montana and we can’t ignore it. That’s why fighting human trafficking is one of my top priorities as Attorney General,” Attorney General Knudsen said. “These are not victimless crimes and ignoring the problem will not make them go away. I urge every Montanan to join us in our fight to eliminate human trafficking – educate yourself about the problem, learn the signs, and report suspected human traffickers.”

If you suspect human trafficking, call 911 in an emergency. In non-emergency situations call 1-833-406-STOP (1-833-406-7867) or reach an advocate via 406stop.com. If you see suspected traffickers, do not intervene, and remain at a safe distance. Take pictures of the trafficker, victim, and vehicle license plate if possible.

Posted Aug 4, 2021

Does this set-up of jugs represent the dog's weight/body mass -- but not size/shape?

I Googled, a gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds, so 2 gallons would be 16. I understood Cerberus to be a much larger dog?

Our mini-schnauzer & Corgis weighed mid-20's.

Flow pattern matters, but the shape of the item matters as well.

Interesting idea, certainly.

jmho ymmv lrr

Does this set-up of jugs represent the dog's weight/body mass -- but not size/shape?

I Googled, a gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds, so 2 gallons would be 16. I understood Cerberus to be a much larger dog?

Our mini-schnauzer & Corgis weighed mid-20's.

Flow pattern matters, but the shape of the item matters as well.

Interesting idea, certainly.

jmho ymmv lrr

This is a very unscientific test, in my opinion, it only shows what those jugs of water did on that day. A drowned animal quickly sinks, but this may not have been part of what he was testing. Edit to add The volunteer, I believe, due to his comment, was testing to see if the current would carry something from the east of Alberton rock, thru the "rapids" to the west of Alberton Rock. I'm not judging the volunteer, he was trying to help the family. Still, we all are curious where the jugs ended up.

Last edited:
This is a very unscientific test, in my opinion, it only shows what those jugs of water did on that day. A drowned animal quickly sinks, but this may not have been part of what he was testing. Edit to add The volunteer, I believe, due to his comment, was testing to see if the current would carry something from the east of Alberton rock, thru the "rapids" to the west of Alberton Rock. I'm not judging the volunteer, he was trying to help the family. Still, we all are curious where the jugs ended up.
My apologies, I should have noted the test was also looking to see if the jugs got hung up in the
river, to suggest a place to search.

I've read several times that people commented about what a hot day July 20 was, 89 degrees was the high in Alberton and with no precipitation. I might be mistaken, was the mention of a thunderstorm in Missoula? If so their weather was the same as Alberton. I'm sure the cellphone video shows the weather too. In any case, I can't imagine a broad daylight abduction in an occupied parking lot, with the victims drawing no attention, especially when the dog is a Malinois, an excellent personal protection dog. Even barking would have attracted some attention. Please don't think the dog would not attack the ex or anyone else because of familiarity.
Then there is the complication of the items at the river. If they waited in the parking lot, they never saw where she was, they would have had to watch the video to figure out where to put the phone at the river. Then there's the problem of the alibi, the 2nd person might have one too, like where did they go after the meet? They might have been with family or friends.
Does anyone know if RB was on a cellphone plan separate from her ex? The pings on the phone would answer a lot of questions. If a contract for the phone is at her home, there should be enough information to get into the phone records online, there could be a lot of data available. I might contact an attorney if anyone else's name is on the contract. Cellphone carriers are used to requests from families, find out what you need to do if you can't get in online. Doesn't hurt to ask, the sheriff's office might release just the ping info to the family. What if that phone never moved until the officer retrieved it?
https://www.com/en/us/alberton/59820/july-weather/2209819?year=2021
Missoula, MT Weather Calendar | Weather Underground

The Sheriff's office won't release anything to the family.

The Sheriff's office won't release anything to the family.

There is still the cellphone carrier, unless the phone contract is in in the husband's name, information at her home should enable you to access some information, a sheriff can't stop anyone from seeking information from the carrier. If the phone isn't in her name, I can see why they can't release information, however, the mother did say she was shown video that was on the phone.

There is still the cellphone carrier, unless the phone contract is in in the husband's name, information at her home should enable you to access some information, a sheriff can't stop anyone from seeking information from the carrier. If the phone isn't in her name, I can see why they can't release information, however, the mother did say she was shown video that was on the phone.

She doesn't have the video footage she was shown the footage in the presence of LE by LE. She had no control over the video. I'm not sure if what she saw was a copy from the phone or the actual video on the phone. Unfortunately I am not aware of the specifics about the phone.

I believe the comment I replied to was your suggestion maybe LE would release ping info to AM.

AM hasn't even been provided a preliminary or administrative report from either Mineral or Missoula Sheriff's Offices. All she has is what information they relay to her verbally or by email and honestly some of that information seems to change. A perfect example is exactly what items were found on the riverbank. The items I list in my initial post is my recollection of what Deputy RF relayed to us when we met him at the scene where the items were found. Within a day the list did change somewhat when she spoke to Sheriff Toth. Out of respect for the family and as a token of transparency, an administrative (written) report would be helpful in eliminating question or concern. What LE has done is plant seeds of doubt and mistrust by the way they have conducted themselves by withholding info from the family. A prime example is the 911 call. By law that call is public record. The top FOIA attorney in MT agrees with me. He even wrote a detailed letter informing Mineral County of this (for me). This just makes me wonder what are they hiding and why? Toth went so far as to suggest (at the Commissioner's meeting) the family would use the 911 to "harass the witness". Who is he to make such an accusation (besides Sheriff of course)?

She doesn't have the video footage she was shown the footage in the presence of LE by LE. She had no control over the video. I'm not sure if what she saw was a copy from the phone or the actual video on the phone. Unfortunately I am not aware of the specifics about the phone.

I believe the comment I replied to was your suggestion maybe LE would release ping info to AM.

AM hasn't even been provided a preliminary or administrative report from either Mineral or Missoula Sheriff's Offices. All she has is what information they relay to her verbally or by email and honestly some of that information seems to change. A perfect example is exactly what items were found on the riverbank. The items I list in my initial post is my recollection of what Deputy RF relayed to us when we met him at the scene where the items were found. Within a day the list did change somewhat when she spoke to Sheriff Toth. Out of respect for the family and as a token of transparency, an administrative (written) report would be helpful in eliminating question or concern. What LE has done is plant seeds of doubt and mistrust by the way they have conducted themselves by withholding info from the family. A prime example is the 911 call. By law that call is public record. The top FOIA attorney in MT agrees with me. He even wrote a detailed letter informing Mineral County of this (for me). This just makes me wonder what are they hiding and why? Toth went so far as to suggest (at the Commissioner's meeting) the family would use the 911 to "harass the witness". Who is he to make such an accusation (besides Sheriff of course)?

I don't know if hearing a different LE perspective would be of help, as anything can be seen as just blindly defending that agency. I realize she may not have shared the information but I believe the mother knows who owns the phone/contract. She is or has been advised by a private investigator, who surely would have addressed phone records. I can't imagine that if she is able, she hasn't contacted the carrier. That is one of the first things we all think of doing in a missing person's case. If she knows someone else owns the phone, someone should have explained what that means as far as releasing information.
The Sheriff restricting information, that is beyond his discretion, in my opinion, does not amount to hiding anything. I know it doesn't help right now, but there are records with the carrier, and someday police reports will be released. As to access to the case reports, the policy is pretty universal, ongoing case reports aren't released.
As far as the 911 call, I'm a little confused about this as the call made by the family from Oregon, went to Montana Highway Patrol, a state agency, and this is to be expected. Their dispatch sent a Trooper to the rest area. A county sheriff would not have jurisdiction over their 911 records. In any case, there is no unlimited public access to many "public" records and in this case, you may disagree, but the privacy and safety of the family from Oregon is at risk. The slighest possiblity that a name, address or phone number is leaked, is too great a liability. Other witnesses have been victims of sleuthers, they been threatened and frightened into leaving their homes. This family may well be aware of the situation in Montana, already aware that people are trying to find them.
The other example of concern you gave is RB's belongings at the river. People have unreliable memories, especially when stressed. I would only go by a written inventory/email and by what was captured by LE bodycam at the river. I know you don't have access to that, but there is a verifiable record.

I don't know if hearing a different LE perspective would be of help, as anything can be seen as just blindly defending that agency. I realize she may not have shared the information but I believe the mother knows who owns the phone/contract. She is or has been advised by a private investigator, who surely would have addressed phone records. I can't imagine that if she is able, she hasn't contacted the carrier. That is one of the first things we all think of doing in a missing person's case. If she knows someone else owns the phone, someone should have explained what that means as far as releasing information.
The Sheriff restricting information, that is beyond his discretion, in my opinion, does not amount to hiding anything. I know it doesn't help right now, but there are records with the carrier, and someday police reports will be released. As to access to the case reports, the policy is pretty universal, ongoing case reports aren't released.
As far as the 911 call, I'm a little confused about this as the call made by the family from Oregon, went to Montana Highway Patrol, a state agency, and this is to be expected. Their dispatch sent a Trooper to the rest area. A county sheriff would not have jurisdiction over their 911 records. In any case, there is no unlimited public access to many "public" records and in this case, you may disagree, but the privacy and safety of the family from Oregon is at risk. The slighest possiblity that a name, address or phone number is leaked, is too great a liability. Other witnesses have been victims of sleuthers, they been threatened and frightened into leaving their homes. This family may well be aware of the situation in Montana, already aware that people are trying to find them.
The other example of concern you gave is RB's belongings at the river. People have unreliable memories, especially when stressed. I would only go by a written inventory/email and by what was captured by LE bodycam at the river. I know you don't have access to that, but there is a verifiable record.

In my county if there is an ongoing investigation an administrative report is provided by LE.

As far as the 911 tape, you also outline a scenario that can suggest the family wants the tape for all the wrong reasons. At this point I personally question if there was a 911 call placed. I guess until one is actually placed in a situation of distrust in a situation such as this, it is difficult to understand why one would feel as though something is remiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen