Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowing what we know today --
  • BM staging the bike at a location a novice would never attempt,
  • BM over-confident the "lion got her" wouldn't be challenged,
  • Animal attack denounced by the Chaffee County Sheriff,
  • BM using a public works job for his alibi
  • Probably learning too late that his alibi violates Broomfield public works code,
  • A chaperoned, out of state church trip concluding in Maysville,
  • Most likely a college girls' weekend with no stopover in Maysville.
It sure helps explain why the Morphew camp welcomed the Daily Mail taking charge with a bogus news story that BM was attending fire-fighter training on Sunday! BM just couldn't catch a break. No wonder he's got a skip in his step again.... Just saying...:rolleyes:

Barry says a lot of things which he just expects everyone to believe, regardless. I wonder if it's always been that way, or if it was reinforced year after year by his mother, sisters, wife (at least for a while), daughters, cowed employees, etc.

Last edited:
I luv this post...

Along with this, can anyone tell me what the one LEO said to the other as they were leaving SM's home with her clothes in a bag??

One tells the other 'hold up I want talk to you' or something like that.

They tell BM to go a head and they quietly talk to each other.

It's something to do with her clothes and they are not comfortable with what they found....or something that.
Not to take away from the gravity of this conversation, but I must admit that in my first sighting of this post, I took "LEO" to mean Leo the lion/mountain-lion! And my silly subconscious saw it as the beginning of a joke! In fact, I don't believe any lions were involved, and it is certainly no joke.

Last edited:
Not to take away from the potential gravity of this conversation, but I must admit that in my first sighting of this post, I took "LEO" to mean Leo the lion/mountain-lion! And my silly subconscious saw it as the beginning of a joke! In fact, I don't believe any lions were involved, and it is certainly no joke.
Oops sorry...lol!!!

One more observation on the Skidster data. It was never started again at his house. The last activity was at the place he was getting the blade replaced. Wouldn't you need to start it to get it off the trailer? It was off the trailer at the house and parked beside it if I recall. It wasn't left on the trailer?
The last line of data that they show is at DSI at 2:10 PM, which does agree with the timeline. We need to subtract 6 from the time given to convert from UTC time to Mountain Daylight Time. (20:10:16 UTC -6 hours => 14:10:16 MDT => 2:10 PM) So they didn't include the skid steer data after he got the blade changed. The critical time of when he got home at 2:47 PM on through the night is missing. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as it was submitted by the defense. Sigh... I suppose we should have some faith that the prosecution checked all of the data, and not just what is listed here. Just bummed, as I'd like to see all of the data. Oh well...

Last edited:
The killer is always the one who accidentally refers to the missing person in the past tense right. That bodycam footage is amazing: after his three hour drive getting his act prepared, He steps out of the car and says almost nothing else except maybe a mountain lion got my wife.

in other words: she is dead. but a mountain lion did it.

Yikes

I notice that there's a lot caught on camera of what Barry didn't do.

He didn't ask if they've got her purse, her keys.

He didn't look to see if she left a note!

He also didn't ask the officer to look here or there or here-and-there again for her phone.

He also didn't look for her.

What if she'd crawled back home and called for an ambulance? What if she'd been attacked and managed to get back home? What if she was hiding in a closet, fearful of her attacker?

Everybody else was rolling through scenarios.

Nope. He wasn't even pretending all the possibilities were still possible!

Laser focus.

With that laser focus, I wonder how glaring that door jamb crack looked to him, as he passed through.

I'm curious, where was the small-c cat in all this? MM1's cat.

Jmo

I luv this post...

Along with this, can anyone tell me what the one LEO said to the other as they were leaving SM's home with her clothes in a bag??

One tells the other 'hold up I want talk to you' or something like that.

They tell BM to go a head and they quietly talk to each other.

It's something to do with her clothes and they are not comfortable with what they found....or something that.

Let me preface with I'm probably not the best person to answer because I tend to think of biking shorts in multiple categories including padded shorts for spin class, commuting, trail riding, endurance riding, and mountain bike riding where IMO, these are the granddaddy of biking shorts for off-trail riding and not where you drive half a mile, park, and ride on the road.

That said, one of the deputies on camera seemed surprised that BM handed them SM's padded, mountain bike shorts off the closet floor.

Initially, I thought the deputy wondered about whether or not the padded shorts given to them had actually been worn recently by SM (i.e., off-trail, rugged riding shorts versus SM's trail riding shorts), or perhaps he gave them more staged evidence.

However, after more thought, I think the deputy was most likely thinking that if BM gave them SM's mountain biking shorts then it likely meant that SM came home and changed clothes since the alleged bike crash.

Biking shorts/gear tend to run on the expensive side (i.e., $200 each) and while I don't doubt that SM had multiples of everything, I can see where the deputy would think they had SM's only pair of biking shorts in their possession.

@Warwick7, I hope this post doesn't add to your question.

And before anyone asks, I don't pay full retail for anything! :oops: :cool:

9 Best Padded Bike Shorts (Cycling Shorts) For Women - Femme Cyclist

After listening to this podcast hosted by Scott Reisch, it is quite clear that he thinks the prosecution is screwing up the case. He says the judge feels the same way. In fact, he says the reason for change of venue can be blamed on the DA and the Chafee County police. I know he is a defense attorney, or used to be, and his defense attorney hat is clearly visible in this video. This isn’t the first time he has said the DA is screwing up the case. But bringing the police into it was a low blow. IMO.

Judge L's order contains an unredacted quote from Judge M's order temporarily sealing the AA, which reveals his incomplete list of possibly inadmissible evidence:

1. Nearly 100 footnotes containing LE comments on the veracity of BM's statements;

2. Disclosure that BM refused a lie detector test;

3. Photos of BM being interviewed;

4. Witness statements supporting SM's reputation and character as a good person;

5. Witness statements expressing negative views about BM's reputation and character, his likely guilt, his sexual history, and unrelated business transactions;

6. Information about the Ms' marital issues, and SM's affair.

I have not heard that the defense has actually moved to exclude this evidence, but I assume they will. Should be interesting!

As we go to full trial all these normal battles over admissibility are going to play out.

You know what's missing?

Everybody else is trying to make sense of Suzanne being missing. Unreachable. Searching, stretching, you can practically feel them working through disbelief. She shouldn't be gone... we've got to find her.

Only one person hits the ground with a different starting point.

HIS story begins at the bike.

Everybody else is processing. He doesn't have to. And he forgot to back up his acting a few degrees.

He doesn't run home to check for himself, he doesn't enquire about hospitals.

I can't fathom anyone, upon learning their family member hasn't been located, instantly accepting they're not going to be found!!

He is devoid of urgency, devoid of disbelief!!!

JMO

This is where it is difficult to be a noob showrunner and a noob actor at once.

The stager tends to focus on exposition to move the narrative forward.

A professional actor will be focussing on the basis for improv.

What is my character like? Well he's a hot headed, macho, alpha type who is likely to fly off half cocked on a course of action.

There should be an urgency and a bias towards positive actions. The seasoned actor will react to the other people in character.

Just my .02c

After listening to this podcast hosted by Scott Reisch, it is quite clear that he thinks the prosecution is screwing up the case. He says the judge feels the same way. In fact, he says the reason for change of venue can be blamed on the DA and the Chafee County police. I know he is a defense attorney, or used to be, and his defense attorney hat is clearly visible in this video. This isn’t the first time he has said the DA is screwing up the case. But bringing the police into it was a low blow. IMO.

I feel like change of venue was inevitable when you have a gigantic multi-year mystery.

How are the prosecution responsible? And why does it matter to the case? Both sides want a fair jury

e.g it's the Court releasing yet more salacious content in the form of the videos, to keep the speculation going

I can't imagine much of the character stuff will come in, as a lot of it is unrelated to the crime itself.

Barry being a conman.

That beyond creepy dinner discussion about his daughter.

Groping and kissing Holly while eluding to further sexual contact.

Barry creeping out Suzanne's masseuse.

Those *advertiser censored* searches.

Showing that he's a horrible person doesn't prove he is a murderer.

No propensity stuff will be allowed as a general rule, except where it goes to something more specific in the case.

e.g SM's texts will be allowed IMO, in order to prove her state of mind (exception to hearsay).

e.g. was she planning to divorce BM? That goes to her intentions and ultimately to motive

So it can be used to prove she was scared of him, and was leaving him. It can't be used to prove BM was a bad person who is likely to murder. (propensity)

02c

I notice that there's a lot caught on camera of what Barry didn't do.

He didn't ask if they've got her purse, her keys.

He didn't look to see if she left a note!

He also didn't ask the officer to look here or there or here-and-there again for her phone.

He also didn't look for her.

What if she'd crawled back home and called for an ambulance? What if she'd been attacked and managed to get back home? What if she was hiding in a closet, fearful of her attacker?

Everybody else was rolling through scenarios.

Nope. He wasn't even pretending all the possibilities were still possible!

Laser focus.

With that laser focus, I wonder how glaring that door jamb crack looked to him, as he passed through.

I'm curious, where was the small-c cat in all this? MM1's cat.

Jmo

I agree with all this.

One thing has been troubling me - why did BM come home so soon?

If you play BM in character, he knows he's been sent the "divorce" text on the 6th, SM has not returned his texts on the 10th, and is out on her bike (bike not yet found).

His reaction really should be either unconcerned - "she's gone on a big bike ride" OR concerned she has gone off to take some time out.

Indeed if you are playing BM in character, by far the most obvious conclusion is that she has biked off to meet with her affair partner and now all of this is going to blow up.

May 10, 15:50 – 17:45 – Suzanne is discovered missing
“I’m just so sad and REDCATED and I texted mom for Mother’s Day and she still hasn’t answered and I’m scared her and dad probably got in a big fight and I don’t even know it just made me want to be gone even more because I don’t want to be around them it hurts me and I know if REDACTED is working I might have to be home a lot more and it’ll probably...

So either he should not come home until the bike is found, or he should come home to confront what he knows is the most likely reason for her "disappearance"

It's a significant flaw in his show running IMO. Even if he is trying to hush that up because he is embarrassed or to protect the kids - he himself knows this.

Barry says a lot of things which he just expects everyone to believe, regardless. I wonder if it's always been that way, or if it was reinforced year after year by his mother, sisters, wife (at least for a while), daughters, cowed employees, etc.

I've noticed this with my own sociopath. Recently he came up with a new lie/framing that everyone reacts badly to, but he appears not to notice and used it frequently. I think from other cases, they are often just so deeply invested in their distorted reality they talk nonsense as if it is real.

Chemicals in Hot Tub Dissolving Human Remains?
... He could have drained the hot tub while shopping in Salida, returned and placed a sedated Suzanne in the hot tub and doused her with a mix of bleach and ammonia or even bleach and hand sanitizer. She would have literally dissolved and he then drained the hot tub... He could have placed her there and allowed her to drown ...
@Cindizzi sbm bbm TY for your post.
After a man places woman, sedated or conscious, into a home hot tub, then douses her w bleach, ammonia, hand sanitizer, yes, agree, she may die by drowning or from household cleaners. Agreeing w ^ as two possible Causes of Death.

As to making remains disappear in the time available, could SM's body (petite but fully grown adult) be dissolved w in hot tub w household cleaners?
If a funeral home conducting a Water Cremation/Alkaline Hydrolysis needs 3 to 18 hours to dissolve the remains, how long would it take BM dissolve remains in a hot tub?

Sources* show these time ranges for dissolving human remains: 3 to 18 hours; 3 to 12 hours; 5 to 8 hours.
These occur in solutions ~300° F (~149° C).What was high temp in BM's hot tub? Per one industry code publication, "Water temperature in a spa or hot tub shall not exceed 104° F (40°C)."*

Another possible barrier for BM may be the length of time it takes to drain (fully or even halfway?) and later refill hot tub.**

How many hours did BM have available?
A range: Fewest hours? Most hours? Anyone?
Or starting & ending the clock at what time/day?

How would BM likely explore methods for dissolving human remains in hot tub:
--- Research fact-based, scientific sources?
--- SWAG/Fly by the seat of his pants?
My $ is on the latter.
my2ct
"The deceased’s remains are placed inside a water- and airtight chamber containing a mixture of water and alkaline chemicals. The process can take anywhere from three to 18 hours,... typically use either potassium hydroxide (KOH) or sodium hydroxide (NaOH)...
^ WebCE Blog | News

And:
"Alkaline Hydrolysis Laws in Your State"

"....alkaline hydrolysis takes just hours -- from three to 12 depending on the temperature and pressure in the chamber..."
^
Alkaline Hydrolysis Laws in Your State

And:
"Some universities use industrial digesters to dispose of cadavers used for research and medical education... about 70 gallons of water with a small amount of lye... five- to eight-hour cycle..."
^ How long does it take to dissolve a human body?
* Per 405.4, International Association of Plumbing & Mechanical Officials, 2021.
^ 2021 Uniform Swimming Pool, Spa and Hot Tub Code

** Water for PP property, iirc, is not served by a public utility, but is sourced thru a well & pump on site. Among several other factors, pumping depth & pump's horsepower determine flow rate, i.e., the gallons per minute the system can provide to fill hot tub. Afaik we don't know the hot tub's capacity or pumping depth. Or do we? Anyone?
Waaay too technical for me:
^ Well Pump Capacities in GPM or Water Delivery Rates

Last edited:
My reactions and totally overvalued opinions on the video

The kids: this is the kind of natural reactions I'd expect. Clear info, speaking from experiential memory. They speak directly. What have they done? Why did they do it? They then defer to the authority figure. Great kids! We don't hear the daughter much but she does something helpful. IMO there is hint of a lack of concern for SM's welfare here. They want to know where she is, but IMO they think she is OK. As per MMs message at 3.50pm it seems they think SM has gone off after a fight, which is also what the boyfriend addresses directly. Why is this not also BMs reaction give he knows more than them?

BM: extremely passive. stays in the safe space created by his open truck door. one word questions, lack of complete sentences. lots of shrugging and passive hand gestures. Hands in pockets, looking aimlessly around.

I see the same thing others have commented on. He's trying to be confused and upset, but IMO he is assessing the situation.

Again in the house video - extremely passive. Why is he not looking around? I'd be checking everything. What has SM taken with her?

What troubles me most is the lack of urgency - some might be deference to the authority figures, but he seems more timid and scared than upset.

hmmm

9 News Raw footage here:

I expect we're gonna screencap the crap out of it over the next few weeks.
Reaction to seeing this:
I wonder about the colour of the bike. Except the pedals, the colour seems wrong to me.
Did I hear well, that the boyfriend said "...... no more husband and wife"??? Unfortunately didn't understand the whole sentence.
I notice, BM is changing between alternately whining and being factual the next second. Poor acting, OMG.
I notice, BM has hand in pocket nearly all the time. A worried, agitated husband would move differently, IMO. He had his absence-story straight, he knew it. He had only to show his "first performance" now, asking for a lion and so on.
BM got lucky with his Broomfield job (that it had been on his schedule at all), so it was already dark and impossible to search, when he returned from his "big job in Denver". A job nearby wouldn't have helped him so much. Well chosen for alibi and for the time of return in darkness.
Officers had some amusement probably, when whining BM didn't know, the boyfriend had already said something re the condition of his marriage.
IMO MOO

WHY must we get Biblical? JMO

Barry Morphew change of venue: Murder trial moved to Cañon City
After a motions hearing in Chaffee County District Court in Salida on Tuesday, future court proceedings will be held at the Fremont County courthouse in Cañon City, about 60 miles away.

That’s a relatively nearby pick for a change of venue, former Boulder County District Attorney Stan Garnett said Tuesday.

“There is certainly an argument that moving it to another county within the same judicial district doesn’t really remove it far enough from the media cycle,” he said. “On the other hand, this is a case that has a pretty high profile. I’ve been reading about it in the Denver papers a couple times a week. It may be simply they felt they had to get it out of its own town to a different community that has some distance, and apparently the court felt Fremont County was sufficient.”

Changes of venue are generally discouraged in Colorado’s courts and are uncommon, said Sam Kamin, the Chauncey G. Wilson Memorial Research Chair at the University of Denver’s Sturm College of Law. He added that the judge’s decision offers pros and cons.

“Solomon didn’t actually split the baby in half, but it does kind of give something to both sides here,” he said. “We’ll move it out of what the court thinks is the hotbed of all this pretrial publicity, but still make it close enough people will be able to attend, defendant can be transported, all those logistical things can be taken care of.”
bbm
So I think, BM had no landscaper jobs 60 miles away and isn't personally known?

However, after more thought, I think the deputy was most likely thinking that if BM gave them SM's mountain biking shorts then it likely meant that SM came home and changed clothes since the alleged bike crash.

RSBM

This is where BM fails his improv acting class.

Of all the things to they get its the bike shorts that she could have been wearing on the ride!

This should have occurred to him (he must have seen?)

"wait ... she made it home!"

Last edited:

ORDER RE: [D-34] DEFENDANT’S MOTION TO CHANGE VENUE, Page 5/8, Section 5. The Volume and Intensity of the Coverage:

The defense alleged DA Stanley held a press conference after Mr. Morphew’s arrest and made extrajudicial statements to the media including that BM was not talking and requested a lawyer.

I believe the 14-minute video speaks for itself. Sheriff John Spezze called the press conference and after he read a prepared statement, he introduced DA Stanley that stood in the background for most of the news conference.

I believe most of us still recall how this case had been radio silent for nearly one year until this presser. I disagree with the characterization of the allegations made against DA Stanely specifically at this presser. DA Stanley and also Sheriff Spezze were professional, courteous, and made no extrajudicial statements or commentary in their responses to a limited number of questions posed by some very patient reporters.

We've seen the defense at work. I'm calling this sneak attack, more "hurricane" noise --and hoping something will stick. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ebg8