CANADA Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my post, I listed (modsnipped) furniture rental and auto rental places nearby.
It is rather easy to furnish an apartment. If you want you can do it it in one trip to Ikea.
If you are in a large complexes like I mentioned, you are relatively invisible to your neighbours.
Remember budget and time is not a majour considerations to these people.

I agree, anything is possible. Hopefully TPS has asked the Stubbs building who was renting there in December 2017.

I've done some searching and seems like multiple homes on Bannatyne Drive have been used as rentals rather than owner-occupied. At the very least, #32, #34, #111 are coming up when I search. It looks like 32 & 34 are owned by holding companies.

Does anyone have thoughts as to why the NW was walking on the East sidewalk on Bannatyne instead of the West? If he was coming from Vyner Rd., the simpler thing to do would have been to turn the corner and continue along the West sidewalk on Bannatyne. Is it because he knew he eventually planned to turn left?

Does anyone have thoughts as to why the NW was walking on the East sidewalk on Bannatyne instead of the West? If he was coming from Vyner Rd., the simpler thing to do would have been to turn the corner and continue along the West sidewalk on Bannatyne. Is it because he knew he eventually planned to turn left?

Probably scoped it out plenty of times and knew that was the safest side in terms of anonymity.

Thank you! So in essence, TPS does not know any more than we do where he went after 59 Bannatyne. If they have a theory of the case, it likely doesn't include whether he walked to a house, got on the TTC, or got in a car.
I don't know, where they are located, but might it be possible, the NW found shelter in one of the Sherman's incl. Mary's owned rental buildings (because it would be absurd to search there for a killer)?

I don't know, where they are located, but might it be possible, the NW found shelter in one of the Sherman's incl. Mary's owned rental buildings (because it would be absurd to search there for a killer)?

*Did the Sherman, or relatives own buildings in the area?

*I do not think there was bus service on Bannatyne after 10PM so the option of the NW boarding public transit that evening was not likely. I see this as an advantage to the NW, as TTC drivers are conscious of pedestrians and might have seen his destination.

*Walking on the East side sidewalk, makes sense if you final destination that evening is a left turn onto Stubbs, or house on Bannatyne.

Last edited:
Curious still about the crime scene and what we know about it.

We review the "staging" in many separate topics that delve into a specific room or item found but when I try to put it all together it makes little sense to figure out what the staging was to "tell".

It must be assumed that the pool room area had an inference that this could be a domestic situation and no outside influence.

Via sources within the home, we know that papers regarding new and old homes were found and the cell phone in the upstairs powder room area. These items were "moved " they both were picked up off the floor and placed on a counter/ledge.

Just these 2 things make it seem odd with the staged pool room scene. Why go to all the trouble of getting down to the pool room, an area that is seldom entered, and set up the bodies in this manner and then leave those items on the floor?

What else was cleaned up (footprints on marble floors) or moved by staff in the house before LE took over the scene?

To our knowledge, Sherman house staff did not question or consider panic about either of these items found on the floor, not to mention H car out front, no alarm set- and no B+H to be found. Everyone just got down to business to do the job they came to do that day.
Had there been much trouble/fighting about the pool area with builders 20+ years ago? I now remember vague only tennis court and garage as a part of the building, which was complained about, although there were many complaints.
Maybe, the pool area itself had to do with the crime scene? Not chosen for better cleaning or because out of sight, but for special sinister reasons perhaps? A clear symbol then on top of it: the position of the victims similar to the gift from an artist, which the children of the home didn't like and had found creepy all the time?

When I recently read, the victims' feet were nearly pulled against a/the wall, I wondered. From pics I didn't have the impression, there was a wall so very near to the place, where B+H were sitting. The position of the victims seems to have been really impractical for the killer/s to bring them there, put them down and attach the belts to the railing. Why so laborius?

The staging of the victims seems to be an indicator, that the killer/s had "all time in the world" for their work. But threwn out papers, gloves, a cellphone (all put on a counter later) suggests rather some hurry, which would be much more comprehensible of course.

Had there been much trouble/fighting about the pool area with builders 20+ years ago? I now remember vague only tennis court and garage as a part of the building, which was complained about, although there were many complaints.
Maybe, the pool area itself had to do with the crime scene? Not chosen for better cleaning or because out of sight, but for special sinister reasons perhaps? A clear symbol then on top of it: the position of the victims similar to the gift from an artist, which the children of the home didn't like and had found creepy all the time?

When I recently read, the victims' feet were nearly pulled against a/the wall, I wondered. From pics I didn't have the impression, there was a wall so very near to the place, where B+H were sitting. The position of the victims seems to have been really impractical for the killer/s to bring them there, put them down and attach the belts to the railing. Why so laborius?

The staging of the victims seems to be an indicator, that the killer/s had "all time in the world" for their work. But threwn out papers, gloves, a cellphone (all put on a counter later) suggests rather some hurry, which would be much more comprehensible of course.
rbbm.
Barry Sherman - Wikipedia
''In 1996, after the Shermans' North York home was completed following five years of construction, the couple was dissatisfied with the work done on it. In particular, they claimed that the garage, a structure with a tennis court on top and a basement lap pool and hot tub, was faulty; Sherman called it a "disaster". He and his wife filed twelve separate suits against all the contractors; ultimately they would recover almost the entire estimated $2.3 million cost of building the house through favourable judgements.[24]''
Barry and Honey Sherman sued builders of North York home | The Star
''When Barry and Honey Sherman bought their North York property in 1985, they planned to spend $2.3 million to build their dream home.

But they noticed problems with the home within months of moving in, in 1991, with Barry describing it as “a disaster.”

After litigation against the house’s designers and builders, they wound up recouping $2 million of the contracted amount to construct the home, according to a 2006 judgment.''

''They went on to sue at least five of the people and companies involved in the home’s design and construction, including Jack Winston Designs, Thomas Marzotto Architects and Ewing Construction.

All but two settled.

The remaining two defendants, 21 Degrees Heating and Air Conditioning and Walter Kenyon of Walter Kenyon Designs, had designed the home’s heating and air conditioning system.

The Shermans sued 21 Degrees and Kenyon for negligence related to the design of the HVAC system, and 21 Degrees for breach of contract.''

''Marco Drudi, of Drudi Alexiou Kuchar LLP, represented 21 Degrees in the civil suit.
“Barry and Honey Sherman sued my clients, as well as many, many others and from my recollection, they settled with many of the defendants,” Drudi told the Star on Monday.
In their statement of claim, the Shermans asked for $500,000 in undefined damages for breach of contract or negligence from 21 Degrees and Kenyon. By the end of the trial, they sought nearly $34,000 in special damages and general damages of an unspecified amount.''

''21 Degrees launched a cross-claim against Kenyon and Jack Winston Designs.

In 2006, the judge presiding over the case found that 21 Degrees breached their contract and that both 21 Degrees and Kenyon were negligent.

But because the Shermans failed to prove they suffered any damages, the judge awarded them no damages and dismissed the case.''

Last edited:
I have always felt that the Sherman's lawsuits against the design team and the contractors must have left lasting anger. IMO, the listing for the house for $6.9 million, with its glowing description, sent someone into a rage... That "someone" could still have keys to the house and be familiar with it in detail. The design and construction team not only lost most of the cost of the house, but were probably saddled with huge legal bills, along with damage to their reputations.

I have always felt that the Sherman's lawsuits against the design team and the contractors must have left lasting anger. IMO, the listing for the house for $6.9 million, with its glowing description, sent someone into a rage... That "someone" could still have keys to the house and be familiar with it in detail. The design and construction team not only lost most of the cost of the house, but were probably saddled with huge legal bills, along with damage to their reputations.

I agree that every firm that the Sherman's sued over the house constuction would have suffered financial losses with the court orders and the reputation for their work was tarnished. And obviously, they did screw up and were held liable.

But I think that any one person affected by the lawsuits and were held liable, and who felt that the judge wasn't fair, had a chance to act on their anger toward BS when they were emotionally intense back then, and any attempt at revenge would have happened well before a decade had passed. The house for sale (at the going rate) could have resurrected bad feelings, but I think that any lingering resentments over an 11 year old lawsuit is unlikely to have resulted in the horrific murders.

I hope TPS has looked into the defendants of BS's personal lawsuits, but I suspect that more current motives were in play. jmo

I agree that every firm that the Sherman's sued over the house constuction would have suffered financial losses with the court orders and the reputation for their work was tarnished. And obviously, they did screw up and were held liable.

But I think that any one person affected by the lawsuits and were held liable, and who felt that the judge wasn't fair, had a chance to act on their anger toward BS when they were emotionally intense back then, and any attempt at revenge would have happened well before a decade had passed. The house for sale (at the going rate) could have resurrected bad feelings, but I think that any lingering resentments over an 11 year old lawsuit is unlikely to have resulted in the horrific murders.

I hope TPS has looked into the defendants of BS's personal lawsuits, but I suspect that more current motives were in play. jmo

From reading details of the lawsuits in KD’s book and on earlier threads, although there were probably construction defects, I don’t think everyone who was sued “screwed up.” As an example, the interior designer was sued, even though he only was responsible for aesthetic issues and would not have a role in potential construction defect issues such as leaky skylights, walls, and roofs. The lawsuits went on for years, and the targets of the suits may have paid for the results for years afterwards, with very high liability insurance rates and major personal financial losses. The losses may still affect some of these people today.

Whether they were responsible for construction defects or not, the parties who were sued would probably be forced to settle on Barry’s terms, because they lacked the resources to continue paying for their legal defense. They would have to throw in the towel due to lack of funds compared to Sherman.

From reading details of the lawsuits in KD’s book and on earlier threads, although there were probably construction defects, I don’t think everyone who was sued “screwed up.” As an example, the interior designer was sued, even though he only was responsible for aesthetic issues and would not have a role in potential construction defect issues such as leaky skylights, walls, and roofs. The lawsuits went on for years, and the targets of the suits may have paid for the results for years afterwards, with very high liability insurance rates and major personal financial losses. The losses may still affect some of these people today.

Whether they were responsible for construction defects or not, the parties who were sued would probably be forced to settle on Barry’s terms, because they lacked the resources to continue paying for their legal defense. They would have to throw in the towel due to lack of funds compared to Sherman.

I know BS sued an independent tradesman working on a bathroom for a ridiculous reason, which shows how ruthless he could be. This man would lack the resources to fight back.

It is obvious that BS submitted enough evidence for a judge to assess $2 million in damages from the various defendants. They were each found negligent or not, and by how much, by a judge based on the evidence versus the defense.

I agree that all of the people who suffered from Barry's lawsuits should be looked into, and hopefully TPS has done so, as well as his recent suits in the few years before he was murdered.

I wonder, which reason it could be, when someone like B+H hurt badly most of the builders of their old home from 20+ years ago and get murdered at exactly the time, when B+H want to start the building of H's large, luxury dream home (plans almost complete probably). I wonder for the umpteenth time, if it can be a coincidence.
All builders, who had to make an offer, because they couldn't afford to let go this new giant project, are "save" now after the murder.
I won't, but I would like to learn, whether everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

Last edited:
Dotr may have already posted this. This was an attempted double-homicide of a couple and the killer was caught on cctv walking to and from the scene. (Emphasis mine.) Suspect:

“Wendy was shot twice in the head, while Robert was shot dead. Investigators are now saying the suspect likely hid inside their Homewood residence for hours waiting to kill.

“I think it was something that was planned,” said Lt. Nelson Resendes with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office….

….The suspect was caught on surveillance video leaving the Spohrs home with his face covered up tough to identify.

CBS13 asked Adrienne if her mom remembers anything from the day her husband was killed.

READ MORE: 'Parents Worst Nightmare:' Update From Family Of 16-Year-Old Injured In Antelope Shooting
“No, and to be honest with you, I don’t know if I’ll ever want her to because she would have seen my dad with gunshot wounds,” she said.

Without Wendy’s memory, the Spohr family is offering a $150,000 reward for anyone who may have seen something.

“He walked along that bike lane for almost an hour. There’s people who travel along that bike lane with GoPros and camera footage,” Adrienne said.

So after eight months, what do investigators know so far about the suspect?

The sheriff’s office told CBS13 the murder was not random. Here’s why.

“The fact that this person knew how to get into the house, where to hide undetected, leads us to believe there’s more to it,” Lt. Nelson Resendes said.

Sources told CBS13 that investigators are considering the possibility the suspect was hired to kill the Spohrs, hoping the large reward will turn up answers for the family.”

Several Months After Tahoe Couple Was Targeted By Killer, Family Offers Reward For Information

Given their history, I am surprised any contractor or company would even work with them. I would never build a home for someone as ruthless as BS. I am sure word got around in the building industry so I am very surprised someone even signed a contract to build the new home for them.

Personally, I don't think the murders had anything to do with their home etc JMO..

Justice Department’s False Claims Act Settlements and Judgments Exceed $5.6 Billion in Fiscal Year 2021

Feb 1 2022

"Electronic health records (EHR) technology vendor Athenahealth Inc. paid $18.25 million to resolve allegations that it invited customers and prospective customers to lavish all-expense-paid sporting, entertainment, and recreational events to generate sales of its EHR product. Generic pharmaceutical manufacturers Taro, Sandoz, and Apotex paid over $400 million to resolve allegations that they paid and received compensation prohibited by the Anti-Kickback Statute through arrangements on price, supply and allocation of customers with other pharmaceutical manufacturers as part of a conspiracy to fix the price of certain generic drugs."

Recoveries in Whistleblower Suits

"Of the $5.6 billion in settlements and judgments reported by the government in fiscal year 2021, over $1.6 billion arose from lawsuits filed under the qui tam provisions of the False Claims Act. During the same period, the government paid out $237 million to the individuals who exposed fraud and false claims by filing these actions."

"The number of lawsuits filed under the qui tam provisions of the Act has grown significantly since 1986, with 598 qui tam suits filed this past year – an average of over 11 new cases every week."
“Industry insiders are uniquely positioned to expose fraud and false claims and often risk their careers to bring these schemes to light,” said Acting Assistant Attorney General Boynton. “Our efforts to protect taxpayer funds benefit from the courageous actions of these whistleblowers, and they are justly rewarded under the False Claims Act.”
"In 1986, Senator Charles Grassley and Representative Howard Berman led the successful efforts in Congress to amend the False Claims Act to, among other things, encourage whistleblowers to come forward with allegations of fraud. In 2009 and 2010, further improvements were made to the False Claims Act and its whistleblower provisions."

Dotr may have already posted this. This was an attempted double-homicide of a couple and the killer was caught on cctv walking to and from the scene. (Emphasis mine.) Suspect:

“Wendy was shot twice in the head, while Robert was shot dead. Investigators are now saying the suspect likely hid inside their Homewood residence for hours waiting to kill.

“I think it was something that was planned,” said Lt. Nelson Resendes with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office….

….The suspect was caught on surveillance video leaving the Spohrs home with his face covered up tough to identify.

CBS13 asked Adrienne if her mom remembers anything from the day her husband was killed.

READ MORE: 'Parents Worst Nightmare:' Update From Family Of 16-Year-Old Injured In Antelope Shooting
“No, and to be honest with you, I don’t know if I’ll ever want her to because she would have seen my dad with gunshot wounds,” she said.

Without Wendy’s memory, the Spohr family is offering a $150,000 reward for anyone who may have seen something.

“He walked along that bike lane for almost an hour. There’s people who travel along that bike lane with GoPros and camera footage,” Adrienne said.

So after eight months, what do investigators know so far about the suspect?

The sheriff’s office told CBS13 the murder was not random. Here’s why.

“The fact that this person knew how to get into the house, where to hide undetected, leads us to believe there’s more to it,” Lt. Nelson Resendes said.

Sources told CBS13 that investigators are considering the possibility the suspect was hired to kill the Spohrs, hoping the large reward will turn up answers for the family.”

Several Months After Tahoe Couple Was Targeted By Killer, Family Offers Reward For Information
Just started thread..
CA- Robert Gary Spohr, 70, fatally shot & Wendy Wood, 68,shot,@ home,Lake Tahoe, 5 June 2021 *CCTV* (websleuths.com)

Given their history, I am surprised any contractor or company would even work with them. I would never build a home for someone as ruthless as BS. I am sure word got around in the building industry so I am very surprised someone even signed a contract to build the new home for them.

Personally, I don't think the murders had anything to do with their home etc JMO..

I don't think so either. If it had been house-related, I believe it would have happened a long time ago... and would have been done with a gun, and probably just BS as the target. These murders were way more personal than a bad business deal. JMO

JMO, its unlikely, but not impossible for any of those parties to still nurse a major resentment, especially if it resulted in ongoing damage to their finances, business and reputation. Those contractors were treated very badly, in a public way, over an extended period of time.

That said, BS seemed to have quite a few business relationships that ended this way.

It's not at the top of my list of suspects, though. It really does seem more personal, with many details that hint at people who knew them well.

No doubt there is a long list of individual builders and contractors, who have been sued and otherwise unfairly treated by Barry Sherman. I would hope anybody working for him recently had contracts with clauses that would limit their exposure to Barry's pettiness and apparent greed.

From a behavioral point of view though, all the circumstances (the location of the deaths, the form of the killing, the staging and so on) all point to a emotional relationship between the perpetrator(s) and the victims.

Even though there are a potentially a large number of individuals who may have had a motive based on being sued by Barry, nothing to me points to the fact that this was a retribution type killing.

We have a prime suspect in the NW, the TPS should focus on him, determine where he was walking that night. If you can discover his destination, there will be a high probability you will eventually learn his identity and solve the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993