Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #94

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO

I wonder why the stop at the car wash is not considered one of the Broomfield dumps? Or is it? IMO he had to have dumped something there too. There are plenty of trash cans and dumpsters at a car wash.

If he washed the outside of his truck, he definitely didn’t “clean out” the interior like one normally does when at a car wash because by the time he arrives back at PP, the pics of the interior cab show a mess and it is also dusty. So in addition to possibly washing the exterior of his truck he was probably also dumping more bags/items at this location.

Again, apologies if someone beat me to it, he wasn't at the gas station long enough to be a dump spot. There were people and cameras everywhere. At one point I think Barry says he washed his windshield. There isn't a lot of clarity as to the purpose of the gas station stop, it may literally be that he was alibiing himself for not eating at McDonalds, he got a granola bar because he doesn't eat crap food or some such.

Barry is an epic over explainer.

So maybe we need to be looking at similar crimes that may have inspired him, and hopefully glean some clues from them?
I wish we knew how he listened to those Forensic Files episodes. Is it a podcast? If he listened to several in a row during a drive, then I'd love to listen to the few before and after that series he listened to.. listening to several in a row.. I think he was forumulating some ideas from those episodes. The fact that Suzanne recorded him listening is amazing. He likely got some idea or maybe even ideas of what not to do because someone got caught doing xyz.. maybe what is contained in not only the ones she was able to record him listening to, but the ones before and after. He probably picked up little tidbits along the way to avoid ABC, but instead XYZ was a great idea.. etc.

Again, apologies if someone beat me to it, he wasn't at the gas station long enough to be a dump spot. There were people and cameras everywhere. At one point I think Barry says he washed his windshield. There isn't a lot of clarity as to the purpose of the gas station stop, it may literally be that he was alibiing himself for not eating at McDonalds, he got a granola bar because he doesn't eat crap food or some such.

Barry is an epic over explainer.

He really is! Some of the initial statements were likely fine. It's when he got interviewed again and they suggested something wasn't exactly as he said, then he felt like he needed to explain much more. That to me really did him in. It isn't out of the question that people just don't remember super detailed events about a day that was otherwise ordinary. I think it's normal for someone to really not recall a few things or to forget the did one or two things during the course of an entire day or two. He did start saying " I don't recall" in those last interviews because I think he felt he was sunk at that point. It was earlier on some of those admissions were just plain odd. Some things just don't have an explanation, but if you are guilty of something maybe you feel if you have an explanation it isn't suspicious anymore? It's hard to say what "normal" person would do or a person not guilty of a crime, but I like to think if I was being interviewed for the 5th or 6th time, I'd be asking why aren't you out searching for my wife. I had nothing to do with this. I think I'd be pleading for them to organize a search or ask why they can't look at her vehicle data or why can't they do anything more than what was done. He seemed to just think okay if I can explain it all away they will quit looking at me.. but where is he asking about what they are doing to find the real person responsible? Maybe he asked it not during interviews.. maybe he did plea for them to keep searching, but it just isn't put out there. I would think it would be though because that seems to be a something people ask.. why aren't you searching, why didn't you help search, even bigger to me is he didn't even seem to encourage his BIL's search and he isn't pleaing for the police to organize more searching either. Why is that?

RSBM

Thanks for this reminder about the camouflage jacket.

So here we have a man who takes old boots along on a trip to salvage the laces, yet dumps a camo jacket along with the boots. The day after his wife was murdered.

Although not necessarily at the same time - on a day when time should have been precious, because no amount of anti Hallmark arguments will ever convince me that a loving husband leaves his wife home alone on Mother’s Day without a very good reason. No, on this day, which required a 5am start (according to his own account and super power ability to wake himself at will) he had time to follow a herd of elk in the dark, the wrong way, and then at his destination had time to make five separate trash dumps. One, at the Mens Warehouse place, lasting 40 minutes.

Then of course he had time for a good old nap, waking just in time to lie about where he was when he took the call.

When you lay it out like this, none of it is remotely credible.

JMO

It occurs to me while reading everyone's thoughts on the boots to ask a question.

WTF was up with those boots? I'm pretty sure those boots are why the cadaver dogs hit on the trailer and the Bobcat. But WHY?

We've been staring at every aspect of this case for nearly two years now. We, nor any branch of LE, can find any blood or bodily fluids anywhere. Not in the house, not in the yard. He wasn't worried about anything being seen on the items he took into the HIE so nothing was suspicious, nothing bloody, nothing dripping wet.

So, how did the cadaverine get on the boots? What happened that he needed to take them inside the hotel to make sure there was no evidence before he threw them away?

This has been bugging me -- telematics recorded all those door openings and other activities that morning.

Was there a data point for opening his window after he turned left, when he would've thrown the helmet?

Did he open his window anywhere else? Any trash cans where he simply had to drive up, never exit? The Poncha Springs trash can, within an arm's throw?

LE should at least have a telematic event around 4:40am, no? Otherwise how did he get it out of the vehicle? Unless he put it there later.

Maybe he was going to dump his spoils around Salida but thought better of it.

Once the mountain lion story fell flat, perhaps he pivoted to abduction, and was looking in the Poncha Market trash to retrieve her helmet....

The helmet just makes no sense!

JMO
After looking at prosecution exhibit 60, I think he took Rt 226 after he dumped the bike, in order to drop off the helmet at the same time. It is the dirt road that parallels Rt 50 highlighted in the exhibit. It also shows that the helmet location was only 1.5 miles from the house. I think you were correct earlier when you surmised that there was another reason for the left turn. I'm thinking it was to dump her phone, since we know the last ping was out that way. I also wonder, like you, if window openings are logged in the telematics.

upload_2022-2-13_10-5-19.png

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...est/21CR78/People Exhibits Prelim Hearing.pdf

It occurs to me while reading everyone's thoughts on the boots to ask a question.

WTF was up with those boots? I'm pretty sure those boots are why the cadaver dogs hit on the trailer and the Bobcat. But WHY?

We've been staring at every aspect of this case for nearly two years now. We, nor any branch of LE, can find any blood or bodily fluids anywhere. Not in the house, not in the yard. He wasn't worried about anything being seen on the items he took into the HIE so nothing was suspicious, nothing bloody, nothing dripping wet.

So, how did the cadaverine get on the boots? What happened that he needed to take them inside the hotel to make sure there was no evidence before he threw them away?

Maybe he was worried about their prints?

He might have thrown them away for that reason.

After looking at prosecution exhibit 60, I think he took Rt 226 after he dumped the bike, in order to drop off the helmet at the same time. It is the dirt road that parallels Rt 50 highlighted in the exhibit. It also shows that the helmet location was only 1.5 miles from the house. I think you were correct earlier when you surmised that there was another reason for the left turn. I'm thinking it was to dump her phone, since we know the last ping was out that way. I also wonder, like you, if window openings are logged in the telematics.

View attachment 333475

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/People Exhibits Prelim Hearing.pdf

They might be if Barry hadn't pulled the fuse. As it stands, if Grusing had a window going up and down on the report, he would have used it and this whole helmet debate wouldn't be happening.

Maybe he was worried about their prints?

He might have thrown them away for that reason.

That doesn't explain why he took them into the hotel room. If he was just worried about the prints he could have tossed them anywhere without possibly cleaning(?) them first.

@HongKongPhooey might have nailed it on the possible soil in the tread. He could have been being overly cautious in case they did search the landfill and found the boots. Maybe he decided he couldn't get enough dirt out of the leather.

The one thing he absolutely can not have is anything that might lead to the body.

I've tried more than once to see if I could find any association between cancer/chemo and cadaverine without success.

Barring that, I think we have to either dismiss the dog alerts or accept that Barry was still with the body, approaching the twelve hour mark. 10? 8?

Wherever he was between 11 and 3, however he got there, her body must have been contained in something. Cooler? Whatever he used, did he keep it, pitch it, dumpster it?

Me, I find the dogs compelling. I find the footprint telling (he took the boots off because why?). And his morning of wet towels, wardrobe changes and rationed dumps to be damning. He wouldn't even discuss divorce with Suzanne, but IMO, by his actions that day, he was try to divorce himself of something.

Not guilt. He doesn't experience that. Different G -- getting caught. He was trying to eliminate cross contamination.

JMO

If you are going to a car wash, it’s the perfect place to throw out your trash-they are actually fine with it! They have the pails set right up for you to dump your garbage in. It’s kind of the point. Barry also had his association dumpster to throw stuff in. Yes, he’s cheap, and I’m sure he paid fees that included access to that dumpster. Why use at least five others when he could have dumped his garbage so easily? He could have had so much more nap time at the HIE.
I think if juors were to hear OP's statement early, they'd not have to spend any time contemplating the trash runs. They'd be asking the same question about why the other stops were even necessary. One could say that BM traveled to Broomfield on Sunday simply to destroy evidence because he sure didn't travel there to set up the wall job for his crew (as told to TD)!

I think if juors were to hear OP's statement early, they'd not have to spend any time contemplating the trash runs. They'd be asking the same question about why the other stops were even necessary. One could say that BM traveled to Broomfield on Sunday simply to destroy evidence because he sure didn't travel there to set up the wall job for his crew (as told to TD)!

One theory I had for heading to Broomfield for trash runs is that the Chaffee county landfill would be easily searchable, it's considerably smaller than any that are serving the Denver metro area.

I've tried more than once to see if I could find any association between cancer/chemo and cadaverine without success.

Barring that, I think we have to either dismiss the dog alerts or accept that Barry was still with the body, approaching the twelve hour mark. 10? 8?

Wherever he was between 11 and 3, however he got there, her body must have been contained in something. Cooler? Whatever he used, did he keep it, pitch it, dumpster it?

Me, I find the dogs compelling. I find the footprint telling (he took the boots off because why?). And his morning of wet towels, wardrobe changes and rationed dumps to be damning. He wouldn't even discuss divorce with Suzanne, but IMO, by his actions that day, he was try to divorce himself of something.

Not guilt. He doesn't experience that. Different G -- getting caught. He was trying to eliminate cross contamination.

JMO

I think he was barefoot upon returning to PP because he only had two pairs of work boots and now one pair was contaminated. He most likely bagged them up at the dump site and rode home barefoot so he wouldn't have to throw away the second pair. I think BM did double duty and threw away not only the murder clothes but also the clothes he wore after a heavy body decontamination. First to get rid of murder fluids, second to get rid of cleaning supply residue he used to wash himself at the body dump site.

RSBM...So how are you going to meet the right woman (?) only going to one dumpster. :):)

And an important note...we are two days away from Barry's favorite and only holiday. No, not husbands day, Valentines Day.

Remember when Suzanne was with JL on Valentines 20/20 but sent Barry this love letter? "Just want you to know - my life would be nothing without your love and the excitement you bring to our marriage and my life. All my love - Suzanne,” she allegedly wrote in a Valentine’s Day card in 2020.

Then by 2021 SD was the lucky gal, oops but they were just friends

"And an important note...we are two days away from Barry's favorite and only holiday, no not husband's day, Valentines Day"

...that's because every day is husband's day! :rolleyes:

Edit to add:
or at least was

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics