GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, and the damage she inflicted on her poor children and family members is outrageous. SP has some very serious mental health issues IMO.

Do you think SP has a history of questionable childhood behavior also?

I was literally just saying this about her poor children. The damage that she did to them is monstrous!

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article259188623.html

3/5/22

In a Zoom hearing Friday with Papini appearing on camera from the jail, attorney Michael Borges of Redding asked that she be released on her own recognizance, and said he was concerned about the conditions in the jail. Borges said Papini has food allergies and had only been able to eat part of an apple since her arrest.

He added that Papini had told her jailers about her dietary restrictions but “has not been able to eat since she was detained yesterday morning.”

Assistant U.S. Attorney Veronica Alegria objected to Papini being released, saying Papini is a flight risk and poses a danger to the community.

Tuesday’s hearing will begin at 2 p.m. before U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeremy D. Peterson.

Peterson also set a preliminary hearing for March 18, and Alegria said prosecutors were hoping to obtain an indictment against Papini before that date.

US Attorney cites SP is a flight risk and danger to the community, and the best the defense can do is to blame it on an apple! Sounds about right... :rolleyes:

I was literally just saying this about her poor children. The damage that she did to them is monstrous!
People with websleuths threads do much worse things to their children. I would guess her kids are still completely baffled by what's happening and that even when they're adults they will think the media overreacted and that is largely to blame for their family's troubles. They'll probably absorb some of her "eccentricities" whether by nature or by nurture but it's a whole different world from what happened to Kamarie Holland for example.

I was a huge proponent of giving Sherri the benefit of the doubt like anyone else and to be honest I still can't understand why she was overwhelmingly doubted here while other "victims" of dubious credibility (mostly addicts) are not.

Gut feeling, instinct, red flag, hinky meter, spidey sense, etc. Different folks call it different things.
The very first time Susan Smith gave a televised interview about her boys, I knew instantly she was lying. I have no idea how I knew, I just did. WS is loaded with folks that share this same "hinky meter" and I think in this case, it went off for many at the same time. I did try to give her the benefit of the doubt but at the same time, I knew the kindapping story was a lie as much as I knew Susan Smith's story was a lie.

jmo

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article259194028.html

Alegria also argued that when an FBI agent tried to arrest Papini Thursday, she tried to run from him and threw her cell phone 20 feet.

“She screamed ‘no’ and ran away from them and resisted arrest,” Alegria said.

Papini’s Redding attorney, Michael Borges, countered that the arrest, which took place at her children’s piano practice, took the mother by surprise and she was merely running toward her children who were behind her.

“She’s not a danger to the safety of anyone,” Borges said.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article259194028.html

Alegria also argued that when an FBI agent tried to arrest Papini Thursday, she tried to run from him and threw her cell phone 20 feet.

“She screamed ‘no’ and ran away from them and resisted arrest,” Alegria said.

Papini’s Redding attorney, Michael Borges, countered that the arrest, which took place at her children’s piano practice, took the mother by surprise and she was merely running toward her children who were behind her.

“She’s not a danger to the safety of anyone,” Borges said.

They arrested her at the location of her child's piano practice?!
I have to really wonder who in the hello thought that was a good idea. Ugh. o_O

Gut feeling, instinct, red flag, hinky meter, spidey sense, etc. Different folks call it different things.
The very first time Susan Smith gave a televised interview about her boys, I knew instantly she was lying. I have no idea how I knew, I just did. WS is loaded with folks that share this same "hinky meter" and I think in this case, it went off for many at the same time. I did try to give her the benefit of the doubt but at the same time, I knew the kindapping story was a lie as much as I knew Susan Smith's story was a lie.

jmo

I believed she was a missing person, when she was a missing person.

When she was "found," I had my doubts immediately. Years later I can't quite recall exactly which part of her story set off my own "hinky meter," but I feel it had something to do with her hair.

I completely don't know if I'm recalling this correctly, but I have some vague memory of maybe she said she was going to be trafficked because of her long blonde hair. A desirable characteristic. But when she was found, her hair had been chopped off.

That may be the detail, or my recollection may be faulty, but nothing was adding up to me after she turned up.

Just a reminder that SP's hair was actually cut to shoulder length. Which is easy to do to oneself in a bathroom with some plain old scissors. It was not hacked off, shaved or nearly bald as some people were erroneously claiming back then. This is another example of hyperbole (from certain quarters) for the sake of drama and sympathy. Just like this current 'food allergy' palaver. It's all intended to keep SP looking like the poor victim. Feed her bananas, then. We know she can eat those.

I still keep going back to the fact that she wasn't even kept in hospital overnight or admitted, just examined over a few hours and released. Which tells me her injuries and condition were not as serious as those claimed by KP.

Edited to add:

Perhaps there were only certain times she was known to be out in public and this was one of them? But yeah, arresting officers do usually rely on surprise. Why the heck would they advise the suspect ahead of time, especially when they are a flight risk?

Just a reminder that SP's hair was actually cut to shoulder length. Which is easy to do to oneself in a bathroom with some plain old scissors. It was not hacked off, shaved or nearly bald as some people were erroneously claiming back then. This is another example of hyperbole (from certain quarters) for the sake of drama and sympathy. Just like this current 'food allergy' palaver. It's all intended to keep SP looking like the poor victim. Feed her bananas, then. We know she can eat those.

I still keep going back to the fact that she wasn't even kept in hospital overnight or admitted, just examined over a few hours and released. Which tells me her injuries and condition were not as serious as those claimed by KP.

Edited to add:

Perhaps there were only certain times she was known to be out in public and this was one of them? But yeah, arresting officers do usually rely on surprise. Why the heck would they advise the suspect ahead of time, especially when they are a flight risk?

Just a shame they couldn't have picked a time/location where the kids weren't there.
Maybe it wasn't possible. I just hate that the kids were there.

I think the thought behind this is arresting away from the home where she could have potentially seen them coming, not answer the door, barricade herself in with the children, etc. This was probably the safest way, however not less traumatic for those who witnessed it, including her children. IMO

Peterson also set a preliminary hearing for March 18, and Alegria said prosecutors were hoping to obtain an indictment against Papini before that date.
^^sbm

Preliminary Hearing

Preliminary Hearing
Once the defendant has entered a plea of not guilty, a preliminary hearing will often be held. The prosecutor must show that enough evidence exists to charge the defendant. Preliminary hearings are not always required, and the defendant can choose to waive it.

It must be held within 14 days of the initial appearance if the defendant is being held in jail. If the defendant is out on bail, it must be scheduled within 21 days of the initial appearance.

The preliminary hearing is like a mini-trial. The prosecution will call witnesses and introduce evidence, and the defense can cross-examine witnesses. However, the defense cannot object to using certain evidence, and in fact, evidence is allowed to be presented at a preliminary hearing that could not be shown to a jury at trial.

If the judge concludes there is probable cause to believe the crime was committed by the defendant, a trial will soon be scheduled. However, if the judge does not believe the evidence establishes probable cause that the defendant committed the offence, they will dismiss the charges.

See the link for more info on criminal procedures under the US District Court (Federal Govt Charges).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irennnnn