Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's where Special Agent Harris gets Barry to admit to that left turn, during one of those final law enforcement interviews (March of 2021).

Barry clearly believes his truck telematics put him on that road the helmet was found, so he comes up with the hilarious elk story to explain that.

So for months and months he turns right, but then suddenly he turns left. Pages 73 and 74.

SA Harris explained to Barry that sometimes questions shed light on things and helps investigators know where not to look for Suzanne as well. SA Harris states there are things about his truck we are wondering and asks Barry when he left for Broomfield, did he tum right or left on to Hwy 50?

Barry said, "Yeah, there was a herd of elk in the road and there was one bull and he was a nice bull. And they all went up the gulley there, where that old washed-out road is and they went up there. And I'm like, 'Oh, I want to see how big this bull is.' And I turned down there, and and, they crossed right in front of me and then I went down to the Garfield turn around and then went to Broomsfield."

This brings to mind another habit of Lying Liars. They tend to fill up the air with all sorts of unnecessary information to get the questioner's mind off the facts. Statement Analysts say there was usually something important (and criminal) happening during the time period they're over-explaining.

If Barry had murdered Suzanne late Saturday night/Sunday morning, he could have a decent shot at a not guilty verdict. If Suzanne stopped communication when she went to bed Saturday night, and was never heard from again while Barry was off in Broomfield, maybe a second suspect would be plausible. But when you place Barry at the home, through all kinds of digital data and Barry’s own statements, when Suzanne stopped all communication with the world, for a full day, no. I want to know if there is one stretch of time in all of Suzanne’s Colorado days, where she did not in some way leave a digital trace. Barry’s Saturday scenario is absurd. Couple that with a hastily planned trip, to spend time in a hotel room and driving around dumping trash and basically making a half-*advertiser censored**ed attempt at looking like you are trying to reach your wife. Then ask a neighbor to report her missing, ignore a couple of LE phone calls, and still don’t try to reach your missing wife while you’re driving. Well maybe try once. Puhleeze.

Even had Barry killed her later, that only gets rid of one piece of important phone data (the sudden and complete drop off on Saturday afternoon onward).

He's still screwed in the morning, as dead people can't use phones. She would have obviously used it as part of her pattern, but he couldn't make that happen.

This is what I was saying long before he was arrested. Suzanne couldn't possibly have used her phone when Barry was in Broomfield, as that would mean that Barry is not a suspect (when it was absolutely clear he was).

I just never imagined the cell phone evidence would be this damning.

He also needed that phone to disappear (apparently), so she would have had to have gone on a bike ride with a powered down phone.

Hoyland, the FBI phone expert, asked for a month's worth of data on both phones. He uses this to establish normal patterns, which both phones drastically deviated from on the day/night in question.

He was tremendous in the Berreth case, and he'll go a long way to burying Barry here. He's great at explaining this sort of thing in a way a jury can understand, and we haven't heard the half of it yet.

Last edited:
This brings to mind another habit of Lying Liars. They tend to fill up the air with all sorts of unnecessary information to get the questioner's mind off the facts. Statement Analysts say there was usually something important (and criminal) happening during the time period they're over-explaining.
Yup, extraneous information is a hallmark of liars.

Here's where Special Agent Harris gets Barry to admit to that left turn, during one of those final law enforcement interviews (March of 2021).

Barry clearly believes his truck telematics put him on that road the helmet was found, so he comes up with the hilarious elk story to explain that.

So for months and months he turns right, but then suddenly he turns left. Pages 73 and 74.

SA Harris explained to Barry that sometimes questions shed light on things and helps investigators know where not to look for Suzanne as well. SA Harris states there are things about his truck we are wondering and asks Barry when he left for Broomfield, did he tum right or left on to Hwy 50?

Barry said, "Yeah, there was a herd of elk in the road and there was one bull and he was a nice bull. And they all went up the gulley there, where that old washed-out road is and they went up there. And I'm like, 'Oh, I want to see how big this bull is.' And I turned down there, and and, they crossed right in front of me and then I went down to the Garfield turn around and then went to Broomsfield."

if prosecution gets it together without losing much more of their case they might get by. I am still not convinced of the tranquilizer theory so very interested in how they handle that. I also can’t get on board with the tampering charge…I have always thought others were involved in the disappearance. I don’t think there was premeditation beyond the moment. I think CBI spent too much time on Indiana tips from disgruntled people who enjoyed telling their stories and not enough time looking closer to home especially because they knew characterization is rarely allowed but that is a dead end now since we are at trial so it is what it is. I don’t think Barry tossed the helmet on the way to Broomfield unless the telematics show something happening with a driver door or driver window. I also need to know if the bike was 95 feet or however many feet his truck moved or possible he walked or road the bike but that is lacking in back up info so purely speculative. I also think that they were both emotionally manipulative and physically aggressive and I suspect the girls sense that or suspect but the DAs walked softly with what they knew. Barry admitted it was embarrassing to him and given his macho tendencies I tend to believe that piece of all this.

BBM
Not sure how multiple people got involved without premeditation.

It’s Mother’s Day here today. My son has come home for the weekend. My husband brought me coffee in bed Even the dog has brought me presents (clever boy that he is).

This, for me, is how it should be. I find myself thinking about Suzanne and feeling so sad for her.

Justice is coming, Suzanne.
Happy Mother's Day @HongKongPhooey and hope you felt loved appreciated all day long. :)

Interested to know how many of the chosen jurors will be familiar with hunting, particularly in Colorado; the elk, deer etc and what they know about seasonal shedding of various beauties. Wondering if @MountainDad would be familiar with these types of knowledge and would kindly weigh in? TIA.

Interested to know how many of the chosen jurors will be familiar with hunting, particularly in Colorado; the elk, deer etc and what they know about seasonal shedding of various beauties. Wondering if @MountainDad would be familiar with these types of knowledge and would kindly weigh in? TIA.
That's a really great question!

To believe Barry is not a killer, you have to believe that he was being truthful. God bless you if you believe his animal tales.

"Barry's Animal Tales," sounds like a great book title. Perhaps he can author a children's picture book based on the following:

Chasing chipmunks around the backyard (instead of standing still).

Illegally tranquillizing deer in late April, to steal their antlers.

Following a heard of male and female deer in the dark, when they don't even travel together (males and females) that time of year.

Immediately determining that a mountain Lion killed his wife, yet this lion left no tracks, no trace of blood or clothing, and managed to toss her bike down a ravine (and plant her helmet some distance away).

I know better and I'm not an outdoorsman, so this is absolutely damning on Barry's part, especially when he continued repeating this nonsense for months.

And then of course when Suzanne's strange Facebook requests began, he's down by the river looking to chase off a bear in the dark.

Barry was asked about his phone pinging down by the river during the Facebook posts on Friday night and asked if he was outside. Barry said, "I could have been. I don't remember. I chase critters around the house all the time. There's a bear that got in the garage. He completely destroyed my garage. And I've been looking for him ever since he came in the garage. I wasn't going to shoot him, but I was just going to scare him off and uh, coyotes, are always outside."

page 80

To believe Barry is not a killer, you have to believe that he was being truthful. God bless you if you believe his animal tales.

"Barry's Animal Tales," sounds like a great book title. Perhaps he can author a children's picture book based on the following:

Following a heard of male and female deer in the dark, when they don't even travel together (males and females) that time of year.

Immediately determining that a mountain Lion killed his wife, yet this lion left no tracks, no trace of blood or clothing, and managed to toss her bike down a ravine (and plant her helmet some distance away).

I know better and I'm not an outdoorsman, so this is absolutely damning on Barry's part, especially when he continued repeating this nonsense for months.

And then of course when Suzanne's strange Facebook requests began, he's down by the river looking to chase off a bear in the dark.

Barry was asked about his phone pinging down by the river during the Facebook posts on Friday night and asked if he was outside. Barry said, "I could have been. I don't remember. I chase critters around the house all the time. There's a bear that got in the garage. He completely destroyed my garage. And I've been looking for him ever since he came in the garage. I wasn't going to shoot him, but I was just going to scare him off and uh, coyotes, are always outside."

page 80

Barry's book should be a hoot....one of those that has multiple options of how it ends.

I'm not an outdoor person/hunter either but I've seen enough people on the news who've been injured by bears to know I won't go looking for one to scare him off. Duh! Lock the garage, Bare!

I also know in order to get a bead on a chipmunk you'd have to be perfectly still because every time you move, they move.

Was there ever talk of BM or maybe SM even putting their phones in airplane mode to conserve battery life at home, and in other areas where service was poor? I kind of recall this being said at some point. IMO
I seem to recall posters on here saying that “perhaps” BM used airplane mode to conserve battery, etc.

But I’ve never seen any statements by BM or SM ( or about them) that they did that.

In fact, BM consistently denied putting his phone in airplane mode.
He said he couldn’t recall doing it.
Then he said if he did it, it was accidental.
Then he suggested that SM did it .
Then he finally admitted that he did it saying not because he was doing anything wrong, just so he could tell her haha you couldn’t track me.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user.../21CR78/21cr78 Morphew Redacted Affidavit.pdf

Attachments

• 1B6E451A-6A9F-45C9-9764-79B8CC40CCA9.jpeg
    1B6E451A-6A9F-45C9-9764-79B8CC40CCA9.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 44B6A41A-831E-4DEC-A4C8-A4ACBE75D0D1.jpeg
    44B6A41A-831E-4DEC-A4C8-A4ACBE75D0D1.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 43F677FE-FA3E-455F-8FD4-6B5344EB2692.jpeg
    43F677FE-FA3E-455F-8FD4-6B5344EB2692.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 20
Brilliant !

Judge Murphy was convinced that Barry dumped the helmet, as that Elk story is absolutely lunacy. Especially when you factor in that it took Barry 10 months to recall this vivid detail, which came in response to Harris alluding to telematic evidence.

Barry's truck telematics aren't going to say he rolled down the window, because apparently they didn't start recording until later. We obviously know the truck was on the road though, as it didn't levitate to Broomfield.

One thing I am interesting in is whether the Telematics or App/Cloud set up are going to show signs of tampering for the Broomfield trip in variance to the preceding days, and the trip back.

In the McStay case, the digital evidence was enhanced at trial compared to prelim. It can be subtle things... e.g testimony as to log in stamps to a cloud server

One of my theories is that BM deleted the journey data from the cloud to hide his next journey/the left turn.

That would be devastating to the defence case.

Last edited:
^^rsbbm

I disagree with Judge Lama's (and OP's) characterization of the presser on about May 6, which is linked in its entirety below.

While it's also clear OP has a negative opinion of DA Stanley, I believe relying on Judge Lama here is an unfortunate mistake.

Facts matter. I recommend all with doubt should relisten to the entire presser.

In the limited words by DA Stanley, she first emphasized that BM was presumed innocent and that SM is the victim here. Other statements were direct replies to attending reporters questions-- without commentary. Total sneak attack move by the defense with this one (and Judge Lama bought it-- hook, line, and sinker)!

From thread #91 -- I think @Tumbleweed said it best:

BBM above. Agree 100%.

The problem is that it did seem to stick with the judge. From the judge's order regarding Change of Venue he writes:

upload_2022-2-2_10-21-28-png.332315

I have multiple issues with his statement. (If I am wrong, please correct me.)

First, the pre-trial publicity order didn't go into effect until June 3, 2021. The press conference was held the day Barry was arrested, on May 6th. So how could she violate an order that wasn't in effect yet? But here he is saying she did the press conference in spite of the order. Just wrong.

Second, he says that DA Stanley told media that "he was not talking and requested a lawyer." Actually, she was very measured and appropriate in her response to being asked if Barry was answering questions or saying where Suzanne's body is. She answers, "He was taken into custody and he, when asked questions, he said he wanted a lawyer, so all questioning ended." Maybe it is subtle, but saying that when Barry requested a lawyer, LE stopped questioning him (which is the only appropriate response LE could make), is different than saying "he was not talking and requested a lawyer". "He was not talking" has a negative connotation to it, IMO. Which brings me to my third point.

IMO, the wording that he used was taken directly from Defense's motion for Change of Venue. It just sounds like them, doesn't it? If the judge is just going to be taking the defense lawyers at their word , and the prosecution is not able to point out their BS to the judge, I am very concerned about Suzanne seeing any justice here.

Still Missing - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91

Thanks for this @Seattle1

Unfortunately this issue has come up in each of the major trials I have followed.

The defence actively misleading the Court. It's unethical.

If Barry had murdered Suzanne late Saturday night/Sunday morning, he could have a decent shot at a not guilty verdict. If Suzanne stopped communication when she went to bed Saturday night, and was never heard from again while Barry was off in Broomfield, maybe a second suspect would be plausible. But when you place Barry at the home, through all kinds of digital data and Barry’s own statements, when Suzanne stopped all communication with the world, for a full day, no. I want to know if there is one stretch of time in all of Suzanne’s Colorado days, where she did not in some way leave a digital trace. Barry’s Saturday scenario is absurd. Couple that with a hastily planned trip, to spend time in a hotel room and driving around dumping trash and basically making a half-*advertiser censored**ed attempt at looking like you are trying to reach your wife. Then ask a neighbor to report her missing, ignore a couple of LE phone calls, and still don’t try to reach your missing wife while you’re driving. Well maybe try once. Puhleeze.

BIB

Yes. I've wondered if that was his original plan but he lost control and murdered her early.

If he had done as you suggested, turned her phone on in the morning and replied to a few messages / done some interactions, then left at a sensible time he would have gotten away with it IMO

Especially if he didn't stage the bike

page 80

RSBM

Looking for a bear ... at night ... :D

page 80

Don't forget he needed to spend over an hour on Saturday looking for a week old dead turkey also. Like anyone does that!?

Don't forget he needed to spend over an hour on Saturday looking for a week old dead turkey also. Like anyone does that!?
Crap! I forgot the damn Turkey!

That was super important, as his phone and truck showed he couldn't have had lunch with his wife.

So his explanation of looking for a Turkey doesn't even let him off the hook, as he's admitting to being back there.

Seriously, the prosecution needs to really play up this animal excuse angle. Perhaps during his opening statements he can do some sort of comedy bit.

"Barry's explanations have more animals than the San Diego Zoo."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members