What about John Bittrolff

justpassinthrough

Reaction score
EXTREMELY late in watching this series. I researched more recent information and found that John Bittrolff is a suspect. He is convicted of two killings in 1993/4 - lots of other stuff.
What does everyone think? Is he one of the guys? Maybe the torso killer?

Here is a link to a site that is pretty good, its organized & has a lot of information on Bittrolff, his victims & other possibilities.

John Bittrolff's house.

Bittrolff has been prosecuted for the 1993/1994 rape & murders of Rita Tangredi & Colleen McNamee..both bodies were found 10 miles apart from each other. Hes also a POI for the 1993 murder of Sandra Costilla.

Bittrolff lived pretty close to the locations of where Rita Tangredi & Colleen McNamee bodies were found.

In 2000, the Long Island serial killer, also know as LISK dumped the torso of Valerie Mack in a wooded area near Halsey Manor Road in Manorville. Two and a half years later, he also left Jessica Taylor's torso on a pile of wood scraps off Halsey Manor Road.

The two dump sites were just half a mile away from each other.

Both of the women were sex workers whose dismembered remains were found in an area that is only 3-4 miles away from John Bittrolff's house on Silas Carter Road....coincidence, maybe?

Furthermore, one of these dump sites was on an isolated access road that is off the beaten track. This suggests that the killer has an intimate knowledge of the Manorville area.

In 2011, the police uncovered Taylor and Mack's skulls on Ocean Parkway - close to where the killer dumped the Gilgo Four in a set of burlap sacks.

This discovery proved that the Long Island serial killer had been operating in both Gilgo Beach and Manorville.

Bittrolff could be the Torso killer, with how very close the bodies were found to his residence.....if its the case, did Bittrolff evolve into the GB4 killings, let me explain.

The first 3 women, Colleen, Rita & Sandra were all murdered within several months of each other, & from everything ive read, he killed them within hours of picking them up. I dont think much planning went into the first 3 killings, he knew he wanted to rape/kill, but it seems he was just starting out & had not thought out his plans too much.

Then in 2000 & 2003, Valerie Mack & Jessica Taylors torsos were found several miles from Bittrolffs residence, & could not be identified.....were we seeing a serial killer evolving?

Rita's body was discovered Nov 2nd, 1993. Sandra's body was in the woods for several days before being discovered Nov 21st, 1993. Colleen was reported missing Jan 6th, 1994 & her body was found on Jan 30th, 1994.

All 3 early victims were found within days of their murders, Colleen being the longest, 24 days. Was the killer frustrated with how fast his victims were being discovered & decided to start dismembering the bodies where it was difficult to identify?

A change of MO from the previous 3 victims.....& there are other victims as well before settling on GB4, but I wanted to focus on GB4. If its the same killer that was responsible for the first 3 victims, then turned to dismembering Valerie & Jessica & killing several others, he totally switched MO's again & decided to go online to find his victims. If it is the same killer, he definitely learned not to leave semen & any other evidence on the bodies with Valerie & Jessica.

From what ive read, Bittrolff had killed his victims within hours of picking them up, did he evolve into prolonging torture for several days with any of the GB4.....were the GB4 killed within hours of being picked up, or were they tortured for a day or so?

We know the sister of Mellissa was mentally tortured over the phone by LISK, & so were a few other friends of other GB4 victims.

The killer of GB4 seems so different from Bittrolff, at least from everything we have read/heard online....then again, serial killers can drastically change their methods.

Bittrolff could be the Torso killer, with how very close the bodies were found to his residence.....if its the case, did Bittrolff evolve into the GB4 killings, let me explain.

The first 3 women, Colleen, Rita & Sandra were all murdered within several months of each other, & from everything ive read, he killed them within hours of picking them up. I dont think much planning went into the first 3 killings, he knew he wanted to rape/kill, but it seems he was just starting out & had not thought out his plans too much.

Then in 2000 & 2003, Valerie Mack & Jessica Taylors torsos were found several miles from Bittrolffs residence, & could not be identified.....were we seeing a serial killer evolving?

Rita's body was discovered Nov 2nd, 1993. Sandra's body was in the woods for several days before being discovered Nov 21st, 1993. Colleen was reported missing Jan 6th, 1994 & her body was found on Jan 30th, 1994.

All 3 early victims were found within days of their murders, Colleen being the longest, 24 days. Was the killer frustrated with how fast his victims were being discovered & decided to start dismembering the bodies where it was difficult to identify?

A change of MO from the previous 3 victims.....& there are other victims as well before settling on GB4, but I wanted to focus on GB4. If its the same killer that was responsible for the first 3 victims, then turned to dismembering Valerie & Jessica & killing several others, he totally switched MO's again & decided to go online to find his victims. If it is the same killer, he definitely learned not to leave semen & any other evidence on the bodies with Valerie & Jessica.

From what ive read, Bittrolff had killed his victims within hours of picking them up, did he evolve into prolonging torture for several days with any of the GB4.....were the GB4 killed within hours of being picked up, or were they tortured for a day or so?

We know the sister of Mellissa was mentally tortured over the phone by LISK, & so were a few other friends of other GB4 victims.

The killer of GB4 seems so different from Bittrolff, at least from everything we have read/heard online....then again, serial killers can drastically change their methods.
If Bittrolff is also the GB4 killer, it pretty much means there is no DNA evidence for that series of murders. Otherwise he would have been quickly linked to GB4. So, either there is no DNA evidence at all for LISK (sad but very possible) or Bittrolff is not involved in those murders.

Last edited:
If Bittrolff is also the GB4 killer, it pretty much means there is no DNA evidence for that series of murders. Otherwise he would have been quickly linked to GB4. So, either there is no DNA evidence at all for LISK (sad but very possible) or Bittrolff is not involved in those murders.

I concur......if they had DNA & it led to Bittrolff, they would have come out with that information years ago. If they had an unknown suspects DNA, couldnt they have ran it thru genealogy sites to trace the killers family tree & come up with a name like in the Golden St killer case? Several other cases have also been solved the same way.

Imo, I dont think they have solid DNA evidence in the GB4 case, but detectives are using cell phone technology trying to pinpoint the killers locations by taking the signal of the burner phone & matching it up at the same locations of other signals that were next to each other. Im assuming they hope the killer had his personal cellphone on himself or in his car & turned on while he was using his burner phone from the same location as his personal cell.

Also, there is a possibility that Bittrolff wasnt involved in the GB4.....but talk about coincidence! Body parts from 2 serial killers in a close proximity of each others victims on Gilgo.

I’ve been wondering if John and/or LISK could be responsible for these disappearances of Danielle Day and Robin Trivisonno?
If so it might be worth looking into as both women potentially ran in similar circles, which might point to a perp that knew both victims and help narrow down suspects in their crimes.

Robin Deeann (Leak) Trivisonno, a Pine Hill, NJ Native & Overbrook Alumni Vanished in Central or North Jersey in 1997

Interesting read......anything is possible in this crazy world. New Jersey had 8.054 million people living there in 1997, so Im sure they have their own serial killers. In 2006, a serial killer called the East Bound Strangler killed 4 sex workers in Atlantic City.

On Nov. 20, 2006, the four victims were discovered face down and lined up in a row facing east. They were approximately 60 feet apart. All four were clothed aside from their shoes and socks. They had been strangled to death.

Could the victims of East Bound Strangler be the work of LISK? Some people think so, others do not. We live in a country of over 325 million people, & we can travel from state to state without any passport. So serial killers can travel at will here in America, so anything is possible, but without a connection, like DNA, its hard to connect these victims. from different states.

Im sure all the bigger states with cities that attract gambling, sex workers & lots of drugs like AC or Vegas will have some evil people on the prowl for easy targets, as will big cities like LA or NY.

I was looking up if carpenters use burlap sacks for their work, here is what came up:

What burlap is used for in construction?

Burlap is an effective low cost product used in the process of curing concrete. When summer temperatures soar, wet burlap laid on poured cement will slow the drying process, thus increasing the strength and preventing shrinkage.

What are burlap sacks used for?

Historically, sacks made from jute fiber have been used for carrying coffee beans, cement, and concrete. Interestingly, this strong fiber is also used for providing sandbags, used to build embankments, temporarily warding off flood waters.

DrQ here. New WS SW update changed me up. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I believe the man who committed suicide and he/his family owned a nursery/landscaping business in the LI area had burlap bags that were similar/like the GB4 bags.

I dont know how similar the burlap sacks the girls were in compared to what the nursery business had, but there are a variety of different styles of burlap bags. Ive seen 50 pounds of potatoes delivered to restaurants in burlap bags.

Im pretty sure the burlap carrying the potatoes was a different size & texture compared to a nursery/landscaping burlap bag & a burlap bag used for construction.

The detectives/police never have shown pictures of the burlap bags the women were found in, so theres no way of knowing exactly what the burlap bags looked like......at least I havent seen a picture or video of the burlap bags at Gilgo, maybe others have seen them.

I was looking up if carpenters use burlap sacks for their work, here is what came up:

What burlap is used for in construction?

Burlap is an effective low cost product used in the process of curing concrete. When summer temperatures soar, wet burlap laid on poured cement will slow the drying process, thus increasing the strength and preventing shrinkage.

What are burlap sacks used for?

Historically, sacks made from jute fiber have been used for carrying coffee beans, cement, and concrete. Interestingly, this strong fiber is also used for providing sandbags, used to build embankments, temporarily warding off flood waters.

I believe that he also had horses and an emu at one point in time... That's what a neighbor claimed.

I believe that he also had horses and an emu at one point in time... That's what a neighbor claimed.
Been looking for any information about Bittrolff owning horses and an emu and I've come up with nothing. Could you lmk where to find that info? Thanks!

wcasewatch, do you know what the detached garage or whatever it is in the right corner of Bittrolffs property is? His house had a 2 car garage connected already.

I was looking at an aerial view of the image taken in 2010 of his property......is that a detached garage to the left of his house at the end of his driveway? I see the swimming pool on the right of his house, but what is that structure in the far right corner of his property? TIA!

Maybe they are both some kind of sheds.

Last edited:
wcasewatch, do you know what the detached garage or whatever it is in the right corner of Bittrolffs property is? His house had a 2 car garage connected already.

I was looking at an aerial view of the image taken in 2010 of his property......is that a detached garage to the left of his house at the end of his driveway? I see the swimming pool on the right of his house, but what is that structure in the far right corner of his property? TIA!

Maybe they are both some kind of sheds.

My initial assumption was that the structure in the bottom right-hand corner is some sort of stable. That might explain why the area is fenced off. It's hard to tell. According to one neighbor, he had horses, emus and reindeers for a period of time. It stands to reason that he'd need somewhere to keep them overnight.

Judging by Google Streetview, the structure on the left of the house is a workshop for his carpentry work or another garage. It doesn't look like an outhouse or anything like that.

My initial assumption was that the structure in the bottom right-hand corner is some sort of stable. That might explain why the area is fenced off. It's hard to tell. According to one neighbor, he had horses, emus and reindeers for a period of time. It stands to reason that he'd need somewhere to keep them overnight.

Judging by Google Streetview, the structure on the left of the house is a workshop for his carpentry work or another garage. It doesn't look like an outhouse or anything like that.

Yeah that would make sense it being a workshop for his carpentry work to the left of his driveway.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back