Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just trying to sort these Duponts before we get in a tangle.

The set of passenger cards we posted a while back:

Incoming: 1967
DOB: 4/3/44
His NAA file holds a file: Migrant Reception and Training Centre, Bonegilla [Victoria] in 1967

Outgoing:
DOB: 1944
QF/EG 172 ex Melbourne

Incoming: 30/4/70
Bernard Dupont *DOB: 4/3/1944 Bank officer - Single
Permanent resident: Lived in Australia for last 12 months
Returning from 2 mths in France

Outgoing:
Leaving Australia permanently for France
Time in Australia 2 yrs. 1 month

Bernard Jean Paul Joseph Dupont
*DOB: 4/3/1944 France
Death: Grasse, France 2009

Robbery/assault 1967 Brussels
Bernard Dupont

This bloke appears legit but who knows for sure.

Just trying to sort these Duponts before we get in a tangle.

The set of passenger cards we posted a while back:

Incoming: 1967
DOB: 4/3/44
His NAA file holds a file: Migrant Reception and Training Centre, Bonegilla [Victoria] in 1967

Outgoing:
DOB: 1944
QF/EG 172 ex Melbourne

Incoming: 30/4/70
Permanent resident: Lived in Australia for last 12 months
Returning from 2 mths in France

Outgoing:
Leaving Australia permanently for France
Time in Australia 2 yrs. 1 month

Bernard Jean Paul Joseph Dupont
*DOB: 4/3/1944 France
Death: Grasse, France 2009

Robbery/assault 1967 Brussels
Bernard Dupont

This bloke appears legit but who knows for sure.
Funny how his assault made the news but there is nothing anywhere about rb’s many assaults

There is an article in the Westminster & Pimlico News dated 29 November 1968 in which a 27 year old French booking clerk Bernard DuPont committed suicide by gassing himself at Roland Gardens, West Brompton. I’m sure it’s totally unrelated but just thought I would add this as its the only time the name appears in the UK newspaper library in the 1960s & 1970s.

Episode 37 of TLV podcast is available now
Hearbreaking!

Just listening again to Sallys testimony at the end of the inquest is so harrowing and reminded me yet again that Marion was a much loved mum who had, thank god, a daughter who never stopped searching for her despite the obstacles she faced.

The NSW and QLD police have so much to answer for.

Having listened to all the lies Ric Blum told when so much evidence has been found to link him, astounds me that he can sit there and continue to lie while under oath. Showing the world he has compete disregard for human life, authority and his own family. A pathological liar and more.

We all know the type of person he is, no matter what he refutes.

I can't imagine being a relative to him.

IF YOU or ANYONE YOU KNOW, has any information that will help this case PLEASE call crimestoppers.

For those who missed it in previous threads...
No, you CANNOT "plaster someone's face and name all over the place to trigger people's memories".

There's a REASON police and media don't do it.
Because you'd essentially be saying, "this person is guilty" before they've been charged or gone to court.
Not only is it unfair but it severely jeopardises any future criminal charges and trials.

Everyone (including you) has the right to defend themselves in a fair, unbiased and transparent court of law.
If your face and name are prematurely outed in relation to a crime, you can argue to have the case and charges dropped due to it being biased, and no-one will ever see justice for that particular crime.

They're the same reasons why this site has the disclaimer, "Your post will be publicly visible, please type responsibly."

If you pay attention to news, you'll see that police and media word criminal matters very carefully. It's deliberate.

There are other ways to increase public awareness of a case, such as holding an inquest with witnesses, and releasing a reward for information ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an article in the Westminster & Pimlico News dated 29 November 1968 in which a 27 year old French booking clerk Bernard DuPont committed suicide by gassing himself at Roland Gardens, West Brompton. I’m sure it’s totally unrelated but just thought I would add this as its the only time the name appears in the UK newspaper library in the 1960s & 1970s.
Interesting.

It's interesting that some who were upset that the podcast pursued FR/Lux are now encouraging publicly outing the new guy. The rules apply to both, and even more caution is needed when discussing the person most likely to be charged, lol.

I understand the confusion as sometimes police/news will post CCTV footage or a sketch and ask for witnesses to come forward. In rare circumstances such as fugitives, police might name a person. In all cases, the wording is very careful and never implies the person is responsible for a crime, only wanted as a witness to 'provide important information'.

However, once a person is charged, their name and image can no longer be posted. Police/news will say something like, "a suspect has been charged and will appear in court next week." From then on they'll only refer to 'the accused', 'the 20 year old man from Sydney' etc. Even if everyone knows who it is. Even if it is a person previously mentioned in relation to the case. There are some exceptions for public figures.

But generally, publicly suggesting someone might be responsible for a crime BEFORE or DURING a trial, can interfere with the presumption of innocence and the administration of justice.

It a nutshell, it's very unhelpful to the prosecution team for anyone to plaster a man's face and aliases everywhere while asking for his victims to come forward. It might help get more witnesses but won't help get him into jail.

Interesting stuff Mishy66. And what's extra interesting about BD is that RB said he was the bank manager at the PNB Paribus Bank. I seem to recall RB saying they only ever had Commonwealth Bank accounts, so just wondering where he met this bank Manager BD .... err, in a bank, per chance? I don't think it's RB's handwriting on the passenger card.
Yes, I made a note of that too! He said he met RB because the PNB Paribas Bank in Sydney was near his benefit / social security office.

Assuming any of that is true, it would mean he'd collect his pension cheque and deposit it into the BNP Paribas Bank.

Does anyone recall if you could pop in to social security to collect your cheque? If so, what year was that? When did it stop?

Or did he mean he had to collect his Belgium pension cheque? Either way, it's a second bank account!

As there are people from all over the world who may not know, ASIC is the Aus body responsible for investigating financial offences. Worth sleuthing aliases and companies for possible historic references. Melissa Caddick, for example, was heavily featured.

Yes, I made a note of that too! He said he met RB because the PNB Paribas Bank in Sydney was near his benefit / social security office.

Assuming any of that is true, it would mean he'd collect his pension cheque and deposit it into the BNP Paribas Bank.

Does anyone recall if you could pop in to social security to collect your cheque? If so, what year was that? When did it stop?

Or did he mean he had to collect his Belgium pension cheque? Either way, it's a second bank account!
My impression was that his Belgian pension was transferred to Australia via the BNP Paribas Bank. My ex was receiving a small British Army pension which was paid directly into his bank account so I assume the Belgian one would be the same. It had nothing to do with social security that I can recall.

Once RB was collecting an Australian pension, I imagine social security would have been involved. I remember RB saying by the 1990's his Belgian pension was received through a special branch of Centrelink in Tassie.

Last edited:
It had nothing to do with social security that I can recall.
No worries @BonnieB, I can clarify :)

Smith: "How do you know who BD travelled with?"
RB: "I knew him because he was the manager of BNP in the city. At the time, my pension office was right by that bank and that's why I met him."

Source: Podcast episode The Inquest Part 15 @ 1:02:00

My impression was that his Belgian pension was transferred to Australia via the BNP Paribas Bank. My ex was receiving a small British Army pension which was paid directly into his bank account so I assume the Belgian one would be the same. It had nothing to do with social security that I can recall.

Once RB was collecting an Australian pension, I imagine social security would have been involved. I remember RB saying by the 1990's his Belgian pension was received through a special branch of Centrelink in Tassie.
probably a stupid question - but when he say's Belgian pension, I assume he doesn't mean an old age pension in the 90's ?? was it also an invalid pension ? associated with his "service" ?

I would assume the Aus government would not pay him an invalid payment if they knew he was already receiving one from another source ?

pension
[ˈpɛnʃ(ə)n]

NOUN
  1. a regular payment made by the state to people of or above the official retirement age and to some widows and disabled people.

No worries @BonnieB, I can clarify :)

Smith: "How do you know who BD travelled with?"
RB: "I knew him because he was the manager of BNP in the city. At the time, my pension office was right by that bank and that's why I met him."

Source: Podcast episode The Inquest Part 15 @ 1:02:00

Interesting how he gives a response, but it has little to do with the question.

Interesting how he gives a response, but it has little to do with the question.
Yep all lies with a dusting of truth when it suits him.

I dont believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

He uses a combination of incidences that he has either read, seen or been a part of to some small degree, to create a story for every questioned that was asked.

JMO

probably a stupid question - but when he say's Belgian pension, I assume he doesn't mean an old age pension in the 90's ?? was it also an invalid pension ? associated with his "service" ?

I would assume the Aus government would not pay him an invalid payment if they knew he was already receiving one from another source ?

pension
[ˈpɛnʃ(ə)n]

NOUN
  1. a regular payment made by the state to people of or above the official retirement age and to some widows and disabled people.
He claims both Aus and Belgium pensions are disability related due to his falling off a horse and being trampled on as a gendarmerie in the 1960's. At the inquest, he's claimed he can't walk properly, it affected his head and was never the same after it. Even though he claimed to have no disability or impairment when he applied for his Aus residence. He also claims he received an additional settlement for it.

Edit: Many of us have previously questioned whether he can receive both Belgian and Aus pensions at the same time. Some here have said it might be possible, depending on the circumstances. But we don't know the specifics so can't say for sure.

He claims both Aus and Belgium pensions are disability related due to his falling off a horse and being trampled on as a gendarmerie in the 1960's. At the inquest, he's claimed he can't walk properly, it affected his head and was never the same after it. Even though he claimed to have no disability or impairment when he applied for his Aus residence. He also claims he received an additional settlement for it.

I assume now it is no longer the invalid pension they claim as that would now be replaced with the old age pension due to their age, when they turned 65.

It is possible to receive two pensions ( from Aus and another country) , but it is not possible to receive more than the full amount of the Age Pension in Australia, Aus will only top up if your oversea's pension is less than the Aus, it is up to the person to report any overseas pensions to centrelink.

Personally I think any overseas benefits he is getting is in another name JMO

Last edited:
I sincerely hope he no longer is paid a pension at all; at least not until Centrelink FULLY investigates his financial position. Centrelink is usually quick to put payments on 'hold' at a whiff of undeclared income

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member